moonstreets anything you need to know about London / The 02 thread

Moonstreet ~ I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to help. It is very kind of you!! :clapping:

I guess you aren't going to get back to me about my question, then?? I asked a while back...

Hello moonstreet

can I know the best spot to stay, and near of the following places

madame tussud
Selfridges
Oxford Street
London Eye
Buckingham Palace

and is the O2 near of these places ?

Moonstreet, or anyone else...how soon do you think we should book a hotel? Are places filing fast.?..I'm still hoping I can come up with the money to go, but I don't wanna git my hopes up only to find I won't have a place to sleep...

Moonstreet, or anyone else...how soon do you think we should book a hotel? Are places filing fast.?..I'm still hoping I can come up with the money to go, but I don't wanna git my hopes up only to find I won't have a place to sleep...
I'd recommend ASAP. I booked mine on Presale day because you've got LOTS of people flying in taking up those hotels. Hurry!

Tipping in the Uk is not the same as in America. In restaurants, people do tip leave a tip but only if you feel its been earned. I usually give around 10% but only if the waiter has been good, nothing wrong with the order etc. The thing to watch in restaurants is service charge. This is sometimes just added to the bill and you are within your rights not pay it. Most of the time the waiting staff dont get this money, it goes straight to the company. If you see it has been added to your bill, ask the waiting staff if they get this money. If they dont and you want to leave a tip, ask for it to be removed from the bill and give the money in cash to the waiting staff. Another thing about the tipping system in the Uk is the difference of paying by cash and paying by credit card. If you are paying by credit card and want to leave a tip, dont do it though your credit card. Just pay the bill by card and give the waiting staff the tip in cash. Many places dont give the waiting staff any tips put though the credit cards.

Unlike America, its only in restaurants that most people tip. When you get a taxi in London for example, a tip is not expected but if you feel that your driver has earned a tip, like giving you tourist info etc then a tip would be nice, again around 10%.

Thanks so much for your reply...
I was afraid they'd be looking weird at me if I didn't tip, like I was poor or cheap or something LOL.

I have one more question, how long does it take to get to Luton from central London ( Marble Arch) by bus? Looks like it's pretty far away, how early would I have to leave the hotel to be at the airport 2 hours before departure? Thanks!!!

has anyone booked through late rooms website? if so are they ok/reliable etc? thanks

hi moonstreet.i have booked a hotel at the travelodge london dockland i,m not sure of the address at the moment,what i wanted to ask ,we have also booked a coach with national express from chester which will drop us off at london victoria bus station,i am not to keen about going on the tube,is it possible please,for you to find out what number bus we would need to take us from london victoria bus station to the travelodge london docklands,and what price and so on,
your help would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance.

I have one more question, how long does it take to get to Luton from central London ( Marble Arch) by bus? Looks like it's pretty far away, how early would I have to leave the hotel to be at the airport 2 hours before departure? Thanks!!!

Hey, there is a train which goes from luton to Kingscross St. pancras. Its really not that far. I have done this journey myself, and its not as much hassle as you may think. You can then get most trains from kings cross to your hotel.

Hey, there is a train which goes from luton to Kingscross St. pancras. Its really not that far. I have done this journey myself, and its not as much hassle as you may think. You can then get most trains from kings cross to your hotel.

Great, thanks! I'm trying to figure out which alternative is the best and easiest... I'd sleep better at night knowing that I have the whole thing planned out rather than getting there and then figuring out what to do next LOL

This is a bit off here but I think it worth mentioning.

Travel-Health insurance. Guys, the likelyhood of anything happening is tiny (especially that the shows are in a small indoor arena) but for those who are travelling long distances, it is better to be prepared than to be sorry..

Some tips

1, If you have a credit card (that is the card is in your name) ask for complimentary travel insurance from your card provider
2, If you travel from outside of the EU (European Union)- insure yourself
3, If you are not a citizen of the UK but one of an EU member state- just obtain your "EU Health Card" from your local office. They issue it for free and allows you to gain access to emergency care in the UK -free of charge.

hi moonstreet.i have booked a hotel at the travelodge london dockland i,m not sure of the address at the moment,what i wanted to ask ,we have also booked a coach with national express from chester which will drop us off at london victoria bus station,i am not to keen about going on the tube,is it possible please,for you to find out what number bus we would need to take us from london victoria bus station to the travelodge london docklands,and what price and so on,
your help would be much appreciated.
thanks in advance.

Anyone still with travel questions feel free to ask in my travel thread! man.in.the.mirror I will answer yours in that thread tomorrow xxx

Hi. I have a question and I hope you can help me. I booked a hotel near Hyde Park. It is London Guards Hotel and the address is36/37 Lancaster Gate. Can you tell me please if it is a safe place to stay and how do I reach O2 arena from there? Thank you very much for your help!

Hey, i'm planning on booking the Novotel in greenwich for the 15th-17th of July. I was just wondering whether you could tell me, is it possible to walk from there to the 02? I don't care how long it would take etc, just want to know in case. On multimap it takes u over an A-road, is there a pedestrian walkway alongside/over/under or something? Thanks in advance xxx

Hey, i'm planning on booking the Novotel in greenwich for the 15th-17th of July. I was just wondering whether you could tell me, is it possible to walk from there to the 02? I don't care how long it would take etc, just want to know in case. On multimap it takes u over an A-road, is there a pedestrian walkway alongside/over/under or something? Thanks in advance xxx

the best way for you to get from your hotel to The O2 is to take a bus number 188 http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/northgreenwich-2191.pdf

This goes from Greenwich straight to The O2 and its a 24 hour service.It will cost you £2 for a single journey. I wouldnt recomend walking, especailly late at night

Hey moonstreet, I posted this question in another thread but i guess katzr200 is busy so I hope you can help me..

I was looking at the journey planner website and it's pretty cool, it shows the easiest routes and everything but they say that they're going to have major engineering works throughout this summer... How do I know where and when exactly?
I was debating between taking the EasyBus or the train, which would you say it's easier?

We're arriving at Luton and our hotel is in Russel square. The train seems to be easier, we wouldn't have to change, go to St.Pancras and then walk for about 30 mins but they may be working on lines.

The bus I think we'd have to go to Marble arch and then take the subway to Russel Square, not sure if we'd have to change again but the thing is I've heard it's best to get tix online in advance...

So... what would you advise us to do? Also it's a bit more complicated bc my friends are arriving on the 26th then they will be picking me up on the 27th from Luton.... I know the bus tix are assigned for certain times and it makes me a bit weary about getting them in advance bc you know flights, they may be delayed and stuff... You never know...

So. Tell me what you think. Thanks a lot for your help.:yes:

Oh, one more thing... What would you say is the best route to go back to the hotel after the concert? I don't really know what time it will end ( or when we'll be able to get out with that sea of ppl and all LOL) so what are our options? Thanks!!!

Hey moonstreet, I posted this question in another thread but i guess katzr200 is busy so I hope you can help me..

I was looking at the journey planner website and it's pretty cool, it shows the easiest routes and everything but they say that they're going to have major engineering works throughout this summer... How do I know where and when exactly?
I was debating between taking the EasyBus or the train, which would you say it's easier?

We're arriving at Luton and our hotel is in Russel square. The train seems to be easier, we wouldn't have to change, go to St.Pancras and then walk for about 30 mins but they may be working on lines.

The bus I think we'd have to go to Marble arch and then take the subway to Russel Square, not sure if we'd have to change again but the thing is I've heard it's best to get tix online in advance...

So... what would you advise us to do? Also it's a bit more complicated bc my friends are arriving on the 26th then they will be picking me up on the 27th from Luton.... I know the bus tix are assigned for certain times and it makes me a bit weary about getting them in advance bc you know flights, they may be delayed and stuff... You never know...

So. Tell me what you think. Thanks a lot for your help.:yes:

Oh, one more thing... What would you say is the best route to go back to the hotel after the concert? I don't really know what time it will end ( or when we'll be able to get out with that sea of ppl and all LOL) so what are our options? Thanks!!!

I had a look at the tube map. The best way for you is to go to St Pancreas and then get the tube (Picadilly Line ) to Russel Square.

For you to go to and from The O2, take the Picadilly Line west to Green Park, and then change to The Jubilee Line to Greenwich North, which is the stop for The O2.

I posted the first and last tube times from Greenwich North earlier in this thread. Depending on what day your concert is on, the last tube leaves around 1am.

The best way to find out about disruptions to services is to check TFL (Transport For London) website. They update their website constinly about which if any services are disrupted. Just check the website the day day before you travel.

When you are in London, disruption to services are advertised in all tube stations, and also announced via the tannoy in the stations. The station staff are very helpful and are used to answering questions from confused and lost people.

Also another way to check disruptions to services is to check the free London papers. The Metro in the morning and The London Paper and The LITE in the evenings, Monday to Friday also have a TFL section.

Depending on which tube lines are disrupted, TFL provide free rail replacement bus services, which follow the same route as the tube line.

Tube lines being closed due to planned engineering works is part of life in London. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time when travelling around London and you will be fine.

Thanks a lot, I think that's what we're going to do.:yes:

do any of youu know anything about the rengcypalace hotel and where to book a room in the hotel

Supposing for some reason I can't get a tube/train from the O2 to Canning Town? Are there 24 hour busses? If not, how much is a taxi?

Supposing for some reason I can't get a tube/train from the O2 to Canning Town? Are there 24 hour busses? If not, how much is a taxi?

yes there is a 24 hour bus service from The O2, route 188. There is also a private shuttle bus which cost £5 per journey from The O2 to Victoria Station area.

Depending on traffic, a taxi journey from The O2 to Oxford Circus would cost approx £45 to £50. Taxis are on a meter and the price also increases the more people are in the taxi, so this is just a guidline not a set price.

There is also a water taxi, The Thames Clipper, which runs later than the tube.

All info about last tube times from The O2 and about The Thames Cliper service are posted earlier in this thread

Back