Official Celebrity Statements Thread

LLCool J was asked a series of questions by O.K Magazine.
One question was: When was the last time you cried?
Mr.Smith answered, "When Michael JAckson passed away.
I didn't make a scene, but I definately had a tear drop."

the World Music Awards, scheduled for November 15th in Monaco. Janet Jackson is slated to appear to accept an award that will be given to her brother.
^^

Is this confirmed yet? Too late for honours. I'm still sad because he did not get enough votes to receive an award in Liverpool last year.

Beautieful statements esp. from Jerry Cantrell & the one from Brooke

Fred Durst:
"On this tour I have been paying tribute to MJ by wearing his beat it jacket and rhinestone glove. The irony and timing is shocking. I am very sad. He was truly brilliant and the reason why I love to dance.”

“There are only four phenomenons [sic] to truly impact our lives in popular music- Frank Sinatra, Elvis, The Beatles, and Michael Jackson. They will all live forever within me.”

Later on, Durst answered a question about whether he and Michael Jackson had ever met:

“I did. Twice. Spent several hrs hanging and talking. Another time went to ceasars palace w him, my friend Ron, and Chris Tucker to virgin megastore [so was it Caesar's Palace or Virgin Megastore? Jeez you're an idiot. -Ed.]. It was madness. Great memories.”

"It’s a sad day. He was just really a source of influential to me when I was writing ‘Chocolate Starfish and the Hot-Dog Flavored Water.’”

Fred Durst:
"On this tour I have been paying tribute to MJ by wearing his beat it jacket and rhinestone glove. The irony and timing is shocking. I am very sad. He was truly brilliant and the reason why I love to dance.”

“There are only four phenomenons [sic] to truly impact our lives in popular music- Frank Sinatra, Elvis, The Beatles, and Michael Jackson. They will all live forever within me.”

Later on, Durst answered a question about whether he and Michael Jackson had ever met:

“I did. Twice. Spent several hrs hanging and talking. Another time went to ceasars palace w him, my friend Ron, and Chris Tucker to virgin megastore [so was it Caesar's Palace or Virgin Megastore? Jeez you're an idiot. -Ed.]. It was madness. Great memories.”

"It’s a sad day. He was just really a source of influential to me when I was writing ‘Chocolate Starfish and the Hot-Dog Flavored Water.’”

BTW, I found all of these new celebrity statements on this great website dedicated to collecting and organizing this information- Michael Jackson Tribute Site.

I was searching for Whitney Houston's statement and found the initial statement of:

"I am full of grief."

But I knew she said more later on, so I did a google search and found this:

“It is so hard to express in words what Michael Jackson meant to me. He was my friend. He was one of the reasons I got into the music business. He inspired me. He taught me. He laughed with me. He paved the way for African American artists to be played on MTV which was huge. My heart is full of grief for his family and his children and I pray that they take solace in the incredible legacy of his music and art.”

NAOMI CAMPBELL

“I grew up with Michael Jackson, he was a good friend and the most exciting and innovative entertainer to have lived.

No artist has connected to their audience like Michael and no one will ever be able to match what he has achieved. He gave back to people through his charity work and was an amazing father and human being.

Michael touched people of every race, nationality, age and was the first truly global superstar. He is one of the all time greats and his role in popular culture will never be surpassed and never ever be forgotten.”

QUEEN LATIFAH

“He was the greatest entertainer of all time, bottom line – there’s no one who can compare to him, there’s no one who’s had over 40 years of music in them from a child on up to being a 50-year-old and about to go on a world tour”

CAROLE BAYER SAGER

“He was one of, if not THE greatest entertainer of all time, and was without question the ‘King of Pop.’ He was also my friend. He recorded a song of mine on his 1979 Off The Wall album and in 1981 we sang a duet together. We spent a considerable amount of time together in 2001 at my home music studio and I saw him in a totally different light – as a nurturing and caring father. I was so honored that he dedicated that album to me. My heart and prayers are with his family, his three children, my friend Elizabeth Taylor, and all us who are mourning the premature loss of his very precious life.”

HUEY LEWIS

“What can be said about the guy? Super talented, and super fabulous, and super sweet at the same time. It’s a sad day for all of us.”

SLASH

“Michael Jackson was one of the most talented and dynamic performer/singer/songwriters I ever had the pleasure of working with, he was amazing. Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding his personal life in recent years overshadowed his unparalleled contributions to the music world, which is a tragedy in and of itself. But his music will live on forever no matter what and his memory will be adored and admired for years to come.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkATJ6APvFg

KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR

“Whenever I saw Michael Jackson he seemed to be so fragile and overwhelmed by the circumstances that he had to deal with in his life. My own experience with the corrosive effects of fame and lack of anonymity made me view his circumstances with alot of compassion. I got to know Michael when he was just a boy around 10 years old working with the Jackson Five. My good friend, Bill Cosby use to pick up the Jackson kids on many Sundays to take them to play basketball. When I wasn’t playing for UCLA I would always join them for this Sunday tradition. The Jacksons have always been my supportive friends and my thoughts and prayers are with the family as they mourn their loss.

Michael’s star will continue to shine forever because his talent was stupendous and made him the most well-known entertainer of the late 20th Century. I hope Michael can finally rest in peace.”

BTW, I read a statement by Bill Cosby in a tribute magazine. . . i think it was the Ebony September tribute issue where it was 'Michael: Our Icon'. Can someone post the statement?

Last edited:
Kristin Chenoweth tweeted:

Devestated. My teenage years just died.

2 hrs later - I'm truly shocked. I know michael jackson is in heaven. I'm so sad. I idolized him.

2 more hours later - I just want to say to everyone: live each day with joy! Life is short! Enjoy! God bless.

Some Asian Celebrities Statements on his death

1tym
Teddy - “Me and TaeYang, above everything, are fans of Michael Jackson. I promised to bring him watch his concert to study more about music etc. But it was heartbreaking that Michael Jackson just pass away suddenly. Back then when the news of his death came out, TaeYang was in Japan for Big Bang’s promotions and he was very sad.”

Judy Chou - "I'm very upset and full of regret over MJ's death," she said. "10 years ago when MJ held his concert in Taiwan, I was too young to know who he is. But I've been hoping to witness his moonwalk when I found out how great he was, and in fact I was looking forward to his world tour. It's a pity that there is no chance now."

Wang Lee Hom
FW (the name of the newspaper): After Michael Jackson’s death, many artistes imitated him, for example, Eason Chan plans to pay tribute to Michael Jackson in his concert as well, are you following the trend?
LH (Leehom): I think this is something natural. It’s enough to prove how much influence Michael Jackson has – everyone wishes to remember him in their own manner.

Liza Wang "Met and took pictures with MJ"
In 1987, Liza Wang visited Clear Water Bay Studio on behalf of TVB and saw Michael Jackson (MJ) there. Liza was at TVB city today and was asked about the experience, she directly said that she said "Hello" to MJ before and took a picture with him. She felt that he was a talented singer and his dancing was amazing as well. Towards MJ's death, Liza said that he music world has lost another talented person, she felt that its a pity.

G.E.M Tang : "The King is Gone"
G.E.M responded to MJ's dealth and said: "Very shocking! I didn't hear about him having any health issues before! Before the album producer teased that I don't have "toi fung", and told me to watch MJ's concert and watch how much he knows how to be on stage, I felt so amazed, he became my idol. When I found out he passed away, I immediately sent a message to the Producer 'The King is gone!'"

Andy Hui "Never be another chance"
Andy Hui found out about MJ's death when he was in Taiwan doing promotional activities. Once he heard the news, he became absent minded and felt very sad. Andy expressed that in 1998 or 1999, MJ came to Taiwan for his concert, at the time he went to watch the concert with William So, Edmond Leung and Dicky Cheung. However, because his mom wasn't feeling well, he suddenly was not able to go to the concert. Originally Andy planned to make up for it this year by going to MJ's World Tour concert, but too bad there will never be another chance. He is thankful of MJ for bring everyone so much joy, entertainment and beautiful memories.

Kary Ng became teary after hearing news.
Kary was dressed in a school girl costume for her new theatre performance. As for her idol MJ passing away, Kary eyes became teary: "I am really sad and felt like crying today, it is so sudden, I was originally going to tell my friends to help me buy the tickets to MJ's concert in July, but now I will never be able to see it!"

Aaron Kwok- After hearing about Michael's death, William was very sad and cried while he rehearsed his dancing. He hopes to start a dance party to share with all MJ's Fans Michael's music and dance, remembering the superstar together.

Andy Lau whom met Michael once in Seoul expressed that it’s depressing that the stage has lost a superstar.

Lee Minwoo- “When I heard about Michael Jackson’s passing this morning, I felt a sting in my heart. It’s like I have a big wound in my heart. Michael Jackson is my hero, and I’ve been working hard in order to achieve what he has achieved. Now that I’m a step closer to my goal, my hero has left the world, and I really feel very sad. Although he lived a spectacular life, there were many unfortunate things as well. I believe Michael Jackson’s energy will live on. I really regret not being able to watch Michael Jackson performing live anymore.”

Tat Dik was shocked to hear the news too and believes that people who like dancing won't be very happy. This is because Jackson had created a lot of dance miracles, there was no one as talented as Jackson and there won't be any one like him either.

Rain told the press that Michael Jackson was his idol since he was young and is the motivation for his dancing. Michael Jackson has definitely affected Rain's life.

Jerry Cantrell and Sean Kinney ("Alice in Chains")

It's been one week since the death of pop icon Michael Jackson, and Jerry Cantrell, guitarist of Alice in Chains, still can't believe he's gone. Or that Farrah Fawcett's gone, too. But one thing's for sure. Both Cantrell and drummer Sean Kinney respect the King of Pop for a myriad of reasons.

"Being a musician, you appreciate what it takes to operate at this level and for you to create things that can strike people in such a huge way," Cantrell tells Noisecreep. "You have to respect the magnitude of that guy's career and his creative output, and to maintain that since you're five-years-old? That's ridiculous. Nobody does that."

Both Cantrell and Kinney spoke last Friday, soon after Jackson passed, "and we were talking about how Farrah and Michael Jackson, two of the hugest icons of our childhood, dead in the same day," Cantrell recalls. "Who didn't bow to Farrah and didn't live in an era where Michael Jackson wasn't everywhere? And look at the guy's musical legacy, which permeated through all cultures."

But did Jackson's music influence Alice? "He had an influence on everybody," Kinney says. "How could you be alive for the last 30 years and not know about Michael Jackson, or heard some of his songs? Even if you're some death metaller guy, don't feel like you can't tell your friends you liked [Jackson's 1979 LP] 'Off The Wall.'"

"(Slipknot vocalist) Corey Taylor has a tattoo of 'Off the Wall' on his back," points out Cantrell, laughing. "So, even Slipknot were fans, I guess."

Kinney says that while Jackson's death is sad, he hopes the situation won't "bring out the worst in people, and I hope they just try to rationalize they're thinking before going negative with it. The guy had a f---ed up life. If I was five-years-old and famous, that would do some damage. Very few people get to his level and remain there. He's one of those guys and it's a shocking thing when someone like that goes. I've got all of his records. I have 'em."

This is why these guys are my favorite band.....

Could you not have two completely different worlds in music than Alice in Chains and Michael Jackson? And yes, Michael even influenced Alice.....

Back