Pepsi Partners With Michael Jackson Estate for Commemorative Packaging [Pepsi Promo /Can discussion]

Re: Pepsi Partners With Michael Jackson Estate for Commemorative Packaging [discussion]

Michael-Jackson-Haters-Gonna-Hate.gif

MJ/ Statement from the Estate

"We want to thank fans for all their positive feedback on this morning’s announcement about the Pepsi deal. Michael did three successive deals with Pepsi, on the Victory Tour, the Bad Tour and the Dangerous Tour, so this extends a long and very successful relationship with the brand. Michael would have loved that we are making the record books with his image on a billion cans around the world. And the campaign will be a great kickoff to the celebration of the 25th Anniversary of BAD."

Re: Pepsi Partners With Michael Jackson Estate for Commemorative Packaging [discussion]

I'm very excited about the Pepsi promotion!!:wild: I hope it's hugely successful.

But there are doubters out there. Here is an article in today's USA Today. Boo! I hope fans pull together and prove the doubters wrong!:yes:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One billion cans of Pepsi are about to come plastered with a most unlikely ingredient: Michael Jackson's silhouette.

By Jeff Widener, AP

Pepsi is about to try once again to breath serious life into the deceased King of Pop's global image in a move that has left some marketing experts aghast, and others applauding.

While Jackson's passing was less than two years ago, for Millennials, who love Jackson, there is a concept in play called "accelerated nostalgia," says youth marketing consultant Jake Katz. Things are evolving from "current" to "classic" much faster than for previous generations because of social media's rapid flow of information, he says.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/story/2012-05-03/pepsi-michael-jackson/54716782/1

Oh really?..........................on which planet?

(I think I can 'prove this doubter wrong'!) I seem to recall missing Michael on 26 June 09....and it wasn't 'accelerated nostalgia'.

Last edited:

(I think I can 'prove this doubter wrong'!) I seem to recall missing Michael on 26 June 09....and it wasn't 'accelerated nostalgia'.

Close enough! :D

I'm a coke fan but looking at that beautiful can from US made me wanna drink it already! :lol:

Wishing it comes to Mexico! :crossed fingers:

The comments under that article are disgusting.

Yeah quite a few news pieces are filled with mindless crap comments.

I've seen people say that Pepsi wouldn't have been caught dead promoting Michael Jackson products if he was alive.. (WELL WHAT ABOUT 'THRILLICIOUS'?!)

I've seen People suggest MJ hasn't been cool since the 80s and Pepsi didn't associate with him when he turned weird... (WELL WHAT ABOUT THE DANGEROUS TOUR PROMOTIONS AND THILLICIOUS???)

Most reports concentrate on THAT advert where MJ got burned. They ignore the fact MJ did alot of commercials for Pepsi.

Some reports and comments question the partnership completely, thinking Pepsi lost their mind. they don't realise that MJ and Pepsi probably had the longest association of all the stars they partnered with. 3 world tours (including the jacksons tour, at least 9 commercials, 3 separate cans (including the latest one), plus other merchandise over a period of 24 years before this deal - from Jackson tour in 84 through to Thrillicious in 2008(?). This deal takes that association to almost 30 years!

Stupid comments by stupid people. The only thing MJ fans can do is to try to even the balance by posting factual information in a way that doesn't come across as too fanatical. We can't allow the negative comments to swamp the net.

"This is very macabre and seems totally over the top to me," says pop culture guru Watts Wacker. "This will be a very polarizing promotion. They'll get lots of buzz, but most of it will be negative."

On that note, there's agreement from consultant Jonathan Salem Baskin. "It's a stroke of utter and complete stupidity," he says. "Can you imagine Whitney Houston being on a can of pop?" http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/story/2012-05-03/pepsi-michael-jackson/54716782/1

Yes, Michael is a totally random celebrity who has no previous connection whatsoever with Pepsi. Ugh. These consultants and "pop culture gurus" seem to have no idea what they're talking about, but still some newspaper prints their comments. So annoying.

I hope the MJ Pepsi cans will be a huge success. I want these cans to sell really well and prove the haters wrong!

From the USA Today article:

"Pepsi is about to try once again to breath serious life into the deceased King of Pop's global image"

Uhm, yeah. As if Michael needs Pepsi to breath life in his image. I mean it's not like his ongoing project (Cirque) is even remotely successful, right? :doh:

I think this article seriously underrates what the MJ-Pepsi association meant and how many good memories this brings back for many, many people around the world! Those Pepsi commercials that MJ did with Pepsi are all among the most memorable commercials ever!

Man I really hope Pepsi can sell those MJ cans in Canada, because I want it!

There's a poll on whether it's acceptable or inappropriate for MJ to appear on pepsi cans here. That site has a lot of entertainment related polls that are open for only a short time. Usually the comments are pretty idiotic. But those who'd like can vote on the poll. :)

Ha! I noticed that too.

Close enough! :D

I only found out after midnight on the 25th.......... so, accurate for me!

Yes, Michael is a totally random celebrity who has no previous connection whatsoever with Pepsi. Ugh. These consultants and "pop culture gurus" seem to have no idea what they're talking about, but still some newspaper prints their comments. So annoying.

I hope the MJ Pepsi cans will be a huge success. I want these cans to sell really well and prove the haters wrong!

The criticsm only motivates me even more to want to ensure success. I've seen some people say they shouldn't be doing this because Michael got burned so badly on the commercial set. But Michael continued doing business with them after that... so their logic makes no sense to me.

It's so lame to bring up the '84 accident against it. Like pointed out Michael kept working with Pepsi after that so he obviously didn't hold a grudge against Pepsi for the incident.

And I have nothing against Frank Dileo, but "the mastermind behind the "Bad" album and the tour"???? Erm, I thought it was Michael writing the songs with two written by others and Quincy and Michael produced the album. My bad that I didn't know it was Roger Friedman's friend, Frank Dileo who was actually the mastermind behind that album. :smilerolleyes:

<hgroup>Pepsi's Michael Jackson Resurrection: Strangely Appropriate?

</hgroup>

Yesterday, Forbes contributor Roger Friedman remarked about PepsiCo’s new collaboration with the Michael Jackson estate.

Friedman asks: is it really a great idea to use Jackson’s likeness on a product that for many marks the beginning of his public trials with drugs and exploitation by others? I’m not talking about Jackson’s private tribulations – those had been going on since his birth – they just weren’t in the public consciousness yet.

Most people under the age of 35 probably have no recollection of the famous Pepsi incident. In 1984, during the filming of a commercial in Los Angeles, a smoke-bomb canister exploded and Jackson’s hair caught fire. He suffered second-degree burns on his scalp, but recovered quickly and was able to resume the grueling work required by pop star status.

I agree with Friedman. While the Pepsi fire was an accident, it also serves as a benchmark of fallibility for the King of Pop. By 1988, the public was already familiar with his extreme eccentricities, bolstered by the release of his book Moonwalk. He’d already acknowledged three cosmetic surgeries to alter his appearance, and was further retreating into himself, even as his fan base grew exponentially.

So while the branding offends the sensibilities of some – like me - Pepsi and the Jackson estate have probably correctly estimated that millions won’t feel the same way. The campaign gurus involved in this massive rollout (Pepsi says more than a billion cans will be printed with the icon’s image) are linking this ‘Live For Now’ campaign to the 25[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary of the release of Jackson’s Bad album.

Released in 1987 as the follow-up to Thriller, Bad is widely viewed by music pundits and the public as the most assertive project of his life, if not his most bestselling or creative. The tunes may not have been as emotionally stirring as those on Thriller, but Jackson wrote most of the songs on this follow-up, and they reflected the increasing paranoia and ‘hermit-activism’ Jackson espoused. In other words, the Bad times may symbolize a slice of Jackson’s life when he was most in control of his – well – life.

More obvious, though, is the fact that PepsiCo is trying to capture markets outside the United States. It has invested heavily in Asian beverage companies in recent years. Jackson is the perfect vehicle to support these investments. The first cans will be available on shelves in China and the U.S., and then by the end of the month, 20 additional markets in Europe, Asia, and South America.

It is sort of creepy to rejuvenate something based on the heyday of someone’s career, knowing that the last years of his life were tortuous. But judging from sold-out ‘Michael Jackson The Immortal World Tour’ Cirque du Soleil performances, and millions of dollars forever pouring in from Jackson’s catalog worldwide, Pepsi was right to make its peace with the King of Pop.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/juliabr...l-jackson-resurrection-strangely-appropriate/

Pepsi Looks to Michael Jackson to Boost Fortunes

Since MJ worked with Pepsi even after the 84 accident and even as late as 2008 it makes no sense that some in the media keep going on and on about the accident. Seems to me MJ and Pepsi moved on so why can't anyone else when it comes to this accident in particular? People like Roger just wanna not let anyone forget all the negative MJ recieved, he obviously get's joy out of it.

Last edited:

To me these pepsi cans are a fun and interesting way to promote bad 25. Michael didn't stop working with pepsi after the accident. Some of these critics or whoever they are need to get their facts straight. Or maybe they know and just ignore it because they want to bring this project down with their negativity.

To me these pepsi cans are a fun and interesting way to promote bad 25. Michael didn't stop working with pepsi after the accident. Some of these critics or whoever they are need to get their facts straight. Or maybe they know and just ignore it because they want to bring this project down with their negativity.

Well, hopefully people will see right through all that negativity and realize that Michael continued to work with Pepsi for years and years after, which would make their yapping completely invalid ...:D

I hope they will use the old pepsi commercials he did or create a new one to show people the history. It would be fun seeing them again on tv if that happens.

I think it would have a huge impact if Pepsi rolled out a new commercial or two with new, unseen images and video from the BAD era of Michael. That would definitely excite the fanbase! This is just my opinion... don't know if anyone else feels that way.

Surely, there has to be tons of video out there that has never neen seen.

I think it would have a huge impact if Pepsi rolled out a new commercial or two with new, unseen images and video from the BAD era of Michael. That would definitely excite the fanbase! This is just my opinion... don't know if anyone else feels that way.

Surely, there has to be tons of video out there that has never neen seen.

I think it's safe to say that any fan wants unseen footage, ANY footage of Michael, especially in the studio, creating his magic :wild:

What I think would be great is mix in the old with the new, unseen footage,...create some nostalgia for those that remember the time :)D) and create excitement and new experiences for the new generation....:D

I'm very excited about the Pepsi promotion!!:wild: I hope it's hugely successful.

But there are doubters out there. Here is an article in today's USA Today. Boo! I hope fans pull together and prove the doubters wrong!:yes:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One billion cans of Pepsi are about to come plastered with a most unlikely ingredient: Michael Jackson's silhouette.

By Jeff Widener, AP

Pepsi is about to try once again to breath serious life into the deceased King of Pop's global image in a move that has left some marketing experts aghast, and others applauding.

The unexpected marketing announcement comes on the heels of a new, global partnership between Pepsi and the estate of Michael Jackson. Pepsi has lost global market share to rival Coke the past year and is eager to grab some back with what it bills as a 25th anniversary celebration of Jackson's mufti-platinum BAD album and tour.

Besides the one billion cans due to start rolling out in late May, the Pepsi promotion will include live events, iconic music and digital opportunities for fans to get special-edition merchandise.

"This is very macabre and seems totally over the top to me," says pop culture guru Watts Wacker. "This will be a very polarizing promotion. They'll get lots of buzz, but most of it will be negative."

On that note, there's agreement from consultant Jonathan Salem Baskin. "It's a stroke of utter and complete stupidity," he says. "Can you imagine Whitney Houston being on a can of pop?"

But other image experts say the move is brilliant. "People today remember the young Jackson" says image consultant Laura Ries. "A dead Michael Jackson is effective, a live Michael Jackson would not have been because of all the negativity."

While Jackson's passing was less than two years ago, for Millennials, who love Jackson, there is a concept in play called "accelerated nostalgia," says youth marketing consultant Jake Katz. Things are evolving from "current" to "classic" much faster than for previous generations because of social media's rapid flow of information, he says.

Certainly, Jackson has a long -- if not shaky -- history with Pepsi. He starred in his first Pepsi campaign in 1983. One year later, while filming a Pepsi spot, Jackson's hair caught fire in a pyrotechnics accident.

"The risk is the sub-plot that Michael Jackson's demise began when he got hurt on the Pepsi shoot," says youth consultant Marian Salzman. "So they need to have the thick skin to weather this." Even then, Salzman says, "he could be a great bridge between Pepsi past and Pepsi future."

Already, there is nostalgia for Jackson, says Frank Cooper, Pepsi's chief marketing officer, global consumer engagement. "Michael Jackson will always be the King of Pop."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/story/2012-05-03/pepsi-michael-jackson/54716782/1

Greeneyedone Don't worry about this. These gurus, music consultants and experts are never right about what fans want, especially when it comes to Michael Jackson. This campaign will be successful!! Do you know how many of these experts I have watched make projections that did not come to pass. These people make noises to imply that their nonsense is scientific and have some scholarly merit. Reminds me of Roger saying that the Michael album will be better than Thriller and would be the best album Michael ever made. Really..

Next, when we have people like Roger writing for Forbes how can people take these magazines seriously?

Last edited:

What I think would be great is mix in the old with the new, unseen footage,...create some nostalgia for those that remember the time () and create excitement and new experiences for the new generation....

As long as they don't use a look-alike!

As long as they don't use a look-alike!

:bugeyed Oh gawd no, of course not...I just mean like a montage of the old Pepsi videos, with unseen footage of Michael in the studio or something...I was just playing with ideas :D

I seen a very short clip on youtube from something MJ I was watchin (can't remember what it was) and it showed MJ after he did the Pepsi bad song version from the Chase commercials on stage. And it look like he just finshed a take, he then raised his arms up to the fans in acknowledgment to them while they were screaming of excitment. He then put's his hand on his head to touch his hair or more like that is one of those mannerisms he always had I noticed and started to walk across the stage. So I know for sure they do have unseen footage. :D But, ofcourse they do cause there are many takes for every commercial and hopfully one day we can see them? :)

Roger Friedman should stop talking b.s.! Master mind behind BAD and BAD tour Frank Dileo??? 28 years after the accident??? What about pepsi commercials during the BAD and Dangerous era??? That was 4 and 7 years after the accident.

Since MJ worked with Pepsi even after the 84 accident and even as late as 2008 it makes no sense that some in the media keep going on and on about the accident. Seems to me MJ and Pepsi moved on so why can't anyone else when it comes to this accident in particular? People like Roger just wanna not let anyone forget all the negative MJ recieved, he obviously get's joy out of it.

As if they truly cared about MJ suffering 2nd/3rd degree burn.

As recently as early 2000, people & the media found it funny that Eminem was making fun of the whole Pepsi incident in his video.

So spare me all the newlyfound sensibility about that whole incident.

This is jealousy... MJ's estate is growing & they need to find something to slow it down. As MJ sang... :

You can't believe it
you can't conceive it
and you can't touch me, 'cause I'm untouchable
and I know you hate it, and you can't take it

My only disappointment with the press release is their omission that MJ didn't pocket the 1.5M Pepsi settlement. He donated all the money to the Michael Jackson Burn Center. It would have been nice to remind some folks how far back his humanitarian efforts go.

Back