Pepsi Partners With Michael Jackson Estate for Commemorative Packaging [Pepsi Promo /Can discussion]

Re: Pepsi Partners With Michael Jackson Estate for Commemorative Packaging *Update Post 217*

Well, I'd say that's not the kind of 'screwing' most people enjoy. :lol:

How do you know? :D

The global campaign will feature the iconic silhouette of Jackson’s pose from his 1984 “The Chase” Pepsi commercial.

They got that all wrong! The silhouette is taken from the Smooth Criminal video and it sure wasn't in 84. <_<

Re: Pepsi Partners With Michael Jackson Estate for Commemorative Packaging [discussion]

^^Oh dear do these writes ever check their facts?

Pepsi anyone?

Re: Pepsi Partners With Michael Jackson Estate for Commemorative Packaging [discussion]

^Hmm...Perhaps they did because it did say "Global campaign" not cans now that I read it again. But, the silhouette in ur link is still not from 84 though.

Jackson_popcorn.gif

Re: Pepsi Partners With Michael Jackson Estate for Commemorative Packaging *Update Post 217*

Pepsi Canada told me they aren't selling the cans.

WHAT!!? Damn you Pepsi Canada!!!! Now I'm pissed!:8-25-03bomb:

<hgroup>Pepsi And Jackson: A Case Of Brand Reincarnation?

</hgroup>
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Like the dearth of positive commentary being lobbed at the movie, “Avengers”, this summer of “Superheroes, Super Battles, Super Egos” will also dance to the tune of Super Pop Star. It’s been three years since Michael Jackson’s passing and over 25 years since he joined Pepsi at the hip. Now Pepsi plans to roll out a billion Pepsi cans emblazoned with Michael’s silhouette as an integral part of their latest aptly named global brand campaign, “Live For Now.”

The difference between a rut and grave is the depth and Pepsi’s marketing has been in a rut of late: Is this campaign digging deep for brand rebirth or is this a marketing revelation? PepsiCo has promised to shuttle much-needed extra promotional dollars to stave off losing ground to “Big Red,” which has been very busy lining up some powerful marketing maneuvers around the world. Can this campaign with the world’s most celebrated pop icon head that off at the pass?

<aside class="vestpocket" data-position="4" style="width: 175px; float: left; margin-top: 8px; margin-right: 20px; margin-bottom: 1px; margin-left: 0px; overflow-x: visible; overflow-y: visible; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); position: relative; padding-bottom: 20px; border-top-width: 5px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(239, 239, 239); z-index: 1; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; ">

<cite class="box_byline clearfix" style="margin-top: 10px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 10px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; font-family: Verdana; font-style: normal; line-height: 14px; display: block; color: rgb(102, 102, 102); "></cite>
</aside>To do so it will rely on mellifluous delivery and execution (with a little luck) to stimulate “shareability” among consumers and pull through a successful transmedia campaign. To do so requires Pepsi be different in how it acts, heroic about what it stands for, reflecting principles that will make Pepsi known for being remarkable, and fresh with its “Live For Now” campaign and followed by many as the challenger of “Big Red’s” rule and above all, shareable, that music always fuels.

Michael Jackson has been a glittering ambassador for Pepsi spanning 25 years. As an icon Michael Jackson brand immediately gains transmedia access across all channels and demographics for Pepsi as a brand, not just as a product. It is very complex and requires sophisticated delivery.

Timing is critical: Coke might own Christmas in the west, but Pepsi is going global owning summer with a quarter-century rebound of great summer content and memories. Rollout is staged across the world with the lion’s share focused on 10 key markets, especially China. America will see less bright lights and trumpets with a gradual rollout of the celebratory can design and greater focus on other artists.

The secret of great campaigns is that they’re smart, succinct and hold surprise.
Is reincarnation included? Many pundits are claiming it’s too risky and in poor taste, but it’s not surprising that many great ones who have left this mortal coil have been greater locomotives of their personal brand revenue posthumously. Face it: We love dead people. Dead icons are a huge multi-billion-dollar industry from iconic bad guys – Mao, Stalin, Che–to the wonders of Marilyn, Elvis and Lennon to the demise of Tupac and Cobain – we, the public have an unrequited appetite for nostalgia, for it provides each of us with our share in history.

Besides, this is not a somber Tiger talking to his Dad or “Orville Deadenbacher,” this is about a quarter-century celebration of music and good times rallied under the “Live for Now” banner.

So what better way to burst into a new step than to share the move with the greatest dance maker of the world and the biggest name in pop? Add that with a plethora of major international performers singing his songs with a “forward thinking” approach, according to Frank Cooper, CMO, Sparkling Beverages, PepsiCo.

This is a sound marketing move for Pepsi to rekindle, re-boost and reclaim 25 years of our generation with an icon who captures that message. And with the campaign’s intended focus on Asia, it could be hugely successful in key target markets like China. It has a risk, and we all know that Pepsi has always taken risk, perhaps too much at times, but not this time. Here’s to a “hip-smackin” Pepsi summer.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deancru...si-and-jackson-a-case-of-brand-reincarnation/

Reincarnation? - HOlogram

hope to see some great commercial -

bluesky;3635087 said:

</hgroup>

Is reincarnation included? Many pundits are claiming it&#8217;s too risky and in poor taste

Many pundits are not claiming any such thing, except Roger and those who like to copy and paste what others say, and the fans who listen to them and feed into the negativity. Notice how they keep feeding these negative ideas about the deal. Forbes need to give it a break already. I am looking forward to this and intend to ship some cans to Canada.

Well, there's bad news for sweden too. I just got a responce from Carlsberg (they have the rights for Pepsi in sweden, finland and norway) and we are not getting the cans either or any other MJ Pepsi related stuff. Seems like they are skipping scandinavia in all ways.. Anyone in denmark who can find out if this is the case there too?

bluesky;3635087 said:

</hgroup>

Like the dearth of positive commentary being lobbed at the movie, “Avengers”, this summer of “Superheroes, Super Battles, Super Egos” will also dance to the tune of Super Pop Star. It’s been three years since Michael Jackson’s passing and over 25 years since he joined Pepsi at the hip. Now Pepsi plans to roll out a billion Pepsi cans emblazoned with Michael’s silhouette as an integral part of their latest aptly named global brand campaign, “Live For Now.”

The difference between a rut and grave is the depth and Pepsi’s marketing has been in a rut of late: Is this campaign digging deep for brand rebirth or is this a marketing revelation? PepsiCo has promised to shuttle much-needed extra promotional dollars to stave off losing ground to “Big Red,” which has been very busy lining up some powerful marketing maneuvers around the world. Can this campaign with the world’s most celebrated pop icon head that off at the pass?

<aside class="vestpocket" data-position="4" style="width: 175px; float: left; margin-top: 8px; margin-right: 20px; margin-bottom: 1px; margin-left: 0px; overflow-x: visible; overflow-y: visible; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); position: relative; padding-bottom: 20px; border-top-width: 5px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(239, 239, 239); z-index: 1; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; ">

<cite class="box_byline clearfix" style="margin-top: 10px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; border-image: initial; outline-width: 0px; outline-style: initial; outline-color: initial; font-size: 10px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; font-family: Verdana; font-style: normal; line-height: 14px; display: block; color: rgb(102, 102, 102); "></cite>
</aside>To do so it will rely on mellifluous delivery and execution (with a little luck) to stimulate “shareability” among consumers and pull through a successful transmedia campaign. To do so requires Pepsi be different in how it acts, heroic about what it stands for, reflecting principles that will make Pepsi known for being remarkable, and fresh with its “Live For Now” campaign and followed by many as the challenger of “Big Red’s” rule and above all, shareable, that music always fuels.

Michael Jackson has been a glittering ambassador for Pepsi spanning 25 years. As an icon Michael Jackson brand immediately gains transmedia access across all channels and demographics for Pepsi as a brand, not just as a product. It is very complex and requires sophisticated delivery.

Timing is critical: Coke might own Christmas in the west, but Pepsi is going global owning summer with a quarter-century rebound of great summer content and memories. Rollout is staged across the world with the lion’s share focused on 10 key markets, especially China. America will see less bright lights and trumpets with a gradual rollout of the celebratory can design and greater focus on other artists.

The secret of great campaigns is that they’re smart, succinct and hold surprise.
Is reincarnation included? Many pundits are claiming it’s too risky and in poor taste, but it’s not surprising that many great ones who have left this mortal coil have been greater locomotives of their personal brand revenue posthumously. Face it: We love dead people. Dead icons are a huge multi-billion-dollar industry from iconic bad guys – Mao, Stalin, Che–to the wonders of Marilyn, Elvis and Lennon to the demise of Tupac and Cobain – we, the public have an unrequited appetite for nostalgia, for it provides each of us with our share in history.

Besides, this is not a somber Tiger talking to his Dad or “Orville Deadenbacher,” this is about a quarter-century celebration of music and good times rallied under the “Live for Now” banner.

So what better way to burst into a new step than to share the move with the greatest dance maker of the world and the biggest name in pop? Add that with a plethora of major international performers singing his songs with a “forward thinking” approach, according to Frank Cooper, CMO, Sparkling Beverages, PepsiCo.

This is a sound marketing move for Pepsi to rekindle, re-boost and reclaim 25 years of our generation with an icon who captures that message. And with the campaign’s intended focus on Asia, it could be hugely successful in key target markets like China. It has a risk, and we all know that Pepsi has always taken risk, perhaps too much at times, but not this time. Here’s to a “hip-smackin” Pepsi summer.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deancru...si-and-jackson-a-case-of-brand-reincarnation/

Reincarnation? - HOlogram

hope to see some great commercial -

That's a very interesting article from Forbes. This guy is thinking outside the box and sees it could work, and is not so quick to dismiss the long business relationship that Michael had with Pepsi (unlike some of these others critics as of lately.)

I'm started to believe that some of us can't get the cans in our countries is because they listened to Forbes and that damned blowhard Friedman. Man I hate him so much now.

I'm started to believe that some of us can't get the cans in our countries is because they listened to Forbes and that damned blowhard Friedman. Man I hate him so much now.

I doubt it has anything to do with Friedman.

I doubt it has anything to do with Friedman.

Then why the hell didn't Pepsi gives some of us what we want? If they still give us what we wanted, then I'm not buying Pepsi anymore. Pepsi will no longer be my favourite.

Friedman has nothing to nothing to do with it, the decisions were already made before the announcement. Pepsi Canada told me before the announcement, and then I re-confirmed it with them after as well, just to be sure. The Estate also told me they don't know yet which countries are participating.

Well, there's bad news for sweden too. I just got a responce from Carlsberg (they have the rights for Pepsi in sweden, finland and norway) and we are not getting the cans either or any other MJ Pepsi related stuff. Seems like they are skipping scandinavia in all ways.. Anyone in denmark who can find out if this is the case there too?

That means bad news for Finland too. Bummer.

Pepsi USA Can Prototype pictures

o5rhif.jpg

Friedman has nothing to nothing to do with it, the decisions were already made before the announcement. Pepsi Canada told me before the announcement, and then I re-confirmed it with them after as well, just to be sure. The Estate also told me they don't know yet which countries are participating.

Well as I said on my last post, if they don't give us what we Canadians want, then I'm done with Pepsi for good A friend of mine from Serbia told me recently that the cans will not be in Serbia either and gets angry about it.

Pepsi USA Can Prototype pictures

o5rhif.jpg

Beautiful....just Beautiful....I cannot wait to see thousands of cans of Pepsi coming across my belt....thousands of people will be seeing Michael when they drink their soda....and to me that is a WONDERFUL thing.....wooohooooo......:D

edited to add....this can is so Beautiful....imo...it should have its OWN thread...LOL. Cuz Its Bad,,,Its Bad....Who's Bad....:D

Last edited:

to me this is a great move. if they promote bad25 as it deserves,i'm sure it'll be a huge seller. myself is an example of what can promotion and propaganda do. i was never i fan of anything. i follow current music trends, like a current song for a week,etc. i'm sorry if offend anybody, but i was not mj fan before 2009.after june 2009, he was everywhere. it made watch his vids. and for the first time in my entire life something (someone in this case) really caught my attention. And here i am (a 17 years old girl) almost 3 years later reading a mj book "my friend michael" (sometimes it's so hard to keep reading cuz i get so sad, but try not to cry ,cuz i usually read on the bus , and listening to his music most of the time (right now i'm into the bad album, specially the way you make feel song, i've been addicted to all mj albums,including destiny and triumph ). i'm sure with proper promotion a lot of people my age will have the curiosity to learn about him. some will end up like me, others will download his songs, or buy whatever product they are promoting,
also they will still close minded people who just don't know/care about music besides today's top 40

2 weeks to go until Memorial weekend....

pepsi tidbit

In March, Pepsi's trademark 1980s slogan was re-appropriated by an oatmeal company.

in-march-pepsis-trademark-1980s-slogan-was-re-appropriated-by-an-oatmeal-company.jpg

"Choice of a New Generation" was Pepsi's slogan from 1984 to 1991. But having let the trademark expire in 2006, a former-Pepsi employee took the slogan and trademarked it for his new employer, MOM Better Oats.
Letting a part of its brand's history be recycled like that was a rookie move on Pepsi's part. Either the trademark renewal slipped through the cracks in the constant manager shuffling, or Pepsi just gave up.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-...riated-by-an-oatmeal-company-19#ixzz1ufzqwJgK

Well as I said on my last post, if they don't give us what we Canadians want, then I'm done with Pepsi for good A friend of mine from Serbia told me recently that the cans will not be in Serbia either and gets angry about it.

I wonder how they decide which countries will get the cans. Are they going by how popular Michael is in that country, looking at fan forums, looking at Michael album sales in the country and then determining if the cost justify the means?

Mkgenie yesterday was the 14th. Has the commercial Premiered in China? What's the verdict?

eta. I thought it was the 14th

Last edited:

I remember I said May 17, so....

Is there any idea yet of when exactly we can expect them to hit US shelves? I wonder if they will be sold in packs or individually, I like Pepsi but will be buying it just for the awesome design of the MJ can.

Back