Rumours of a re-release?

I feel as though I'm the only person here who adores the 2010 mix.

Don't get me wrong, the filter on the lead vocal is absolutely unnecessary, as is the spoken word bridge. (Michael had the bridge written; why not use that one?) But as far as production is concerned, it's outstanding. It has that unmistakable Michael Jackson atmosphere that I can't get enough of. The heavy use of beat boxing as percussion never really bothered me either; I've become accustomed to Justin Timberlake's music, which is at least fifty percent beat boxing, so it flies under the radar.

Birchey's mix comes in at second place. He really went to town on that one; probably my favorite remix of his (aside from Trouble). My only gripe is with the guitar solo, which left me wanting a bit more than I got in terms of variety/ad libbing.

I don't like the demo at all. I'm definitely in the minority here, but I just can't get into it. The bridge is phenomenal admittedly, but everything else feels so watered down and uninteresting. The Throwback Mix is tons better at capturing this atmosphere/laid-back production while keeping my interest.

I like the throwback mix quite a lot, i have that on a few playlists.

The 2010 version isnt bad but christ that bridge makes me cringe so much...

Have you ever considered that maybe the Estate shouldn't focus on charts?

The biggest focus for Michael's unreleased music is to do right by the original source material; strengthen what Michael left behind and keep the King of Pop flavor as vivid as possible. Six of the eight tracks on XSCAPE fail at this completely because L.A. Reid was too concerned about being contemporary; only Love Never Felt So Good and the title track evoke any sort of Michael Jackson production technique. As much as I love them, I have no reservations in admitting that XSCAPE is a remix album -- the included songs don't sound or feel like Michael.

The Estate is sacrificing artistic integrity/respect in favor of sales numbers. Michael was crazy about sales, I'm well aware of that, but he would never sell himself out in the way that the Estate has.

Forget about hiring "hit producers" to finish these songs. Forget about making these songs sound contemporary or trying to pit Michael against contemporary artists on the charts (a battle he's going to lose). Focus on making these songs something worth remembering. Respect the man.

Preach brotha preach!

The only gripe I have with Teddy's HT is the beatbox. He overused it. Oh and the spoken bridge. Other than that I love his version very much but even more I love the throwback remix or by onirs logic "contemporization" (just messin with u man:p) Hollywood Tonight would have been MJ's next smash if he had finished it and released it during his lifetime, I'm sure of it.

Bouncing back on the original topic, so there will be no re-release then?

Last edited:
Preach brotha preach!

The only gripe I have with Teddy's HT is the beatbox. He overused it. Oh and the spoken bridge. Other than that I love his version very much but even more I love the throwback remix or by onirs logic "contemporization" (just messin with u man:p) Hollywood Tonight would have been MJ's next smash if he had finished it and released it during his lifetime, I'm sure of it.

Bouncing back on the original topic, so there will be no re-release then?

Amen brother! :bow::punk:

I can't blame you for that one; typically Michael's beat boxing was mixed low in the track to the point of complete inaudibility. As I said above, I've become accustomed to Justin Timberlake songs, where he uses beat boxing whenever possible, so that's probably why it doesn't faze me. But overall I agree; it has the makings of a Michael Jackson smash (borderline genius bass line, earworm chorus). There are a plethora of outstanding songs that will never be properly represented (I'm So Blue, Loving You, Much Too Soon), which is pretty disappointing.

But yes, back on topic: it doesn't seem to be in the works, but anything could happen. They could pull a Beyonce and toss a few more songs out for the first anniversary.

would anyone also be able to all message vogel on twitter and see if he can talk about what he has heard?

I love the throwback remix or by onirs logic "contemporization"

It's not my logic and it's not "contemporization". I only use that term when I talk about Xscape songs. I never ever used that term in any other context.

The tracks on Xscape are remixes, as they differ from the original recording's completely. As for the song's that were included on 'Michael' they are considered as Contemporized/Finished, just take the demo of 'Dangerous' for example, and compare it to the album version. Michael never released computer processed crap.

I agree. Neither did his Estate.

Yeah, they did. Everything Timbaland does is computer processed, same with the production by Stargate and the work on 'Blue Gangsta' also.

Yeah, they did. Everything Timbaland does is computer processed, same with the production by Stargate and the work on 'Blue Gangsta' also.

I don't understand technicalities, but I'm sure the same thing was done on a lot of Dangerous, HIStory & Invincible songs. Especially Invincible.

But that wasn't something I wanted to say. I said "neither did his Estate" released computer processed "crap".

I don't understand technicalities, but I'm sure the same thing was done on a lot of Dangerous, HIStory & Invincible songs. Especially Invincible.

But that wasn't something I wanted to say. I said "neither did his Estate" released computer processed "crap".

If you listen to the instrumentals for the updated versions, they all sound tacky and don't suit Michael's vocals at all. Only one's i enjoy listening to are the title track, 'Love Never Felt So Good' (both McClain & Timbaland) plus maybe the 2014 version of 'Slave' but that's pushing it a little.

If you listen to the instrumentals for the updated versions, they all sound tacky and don't suit Michael's vocals at all.

No. That is if you listen to the instrumentals. When I listen to them they sound awesome and they complement MJ's vocals perfectly. For me only A Place With No Name and Do You Know Where Your Children Are are not that good and enjoyable.

Are we really still having the remix/contemporize argument? Allow me to finish it:

Personal opinions are completely irrelevant here. The textbook definition of a remix is a piece of media which has been altered from its original state by adding, removing, and/or changing pieces of the item. Every single song on XSCAPE has been significantly altered from its original counterpart; most of the modernized mixes have completely erased all components from the earliest versions as approved by Michael.

I return to my BLOOD ON THE DANCE FLOOR comparison here: both albums came to be with the respective curator handing the stem recordings to a team of producers. Said producers were given free reign with the songs, allowed to do whatever they wanted, in the attempt to give the listener an entirely new experience. These songs, therefore, do not represent or remotely resemble their original counterparts. This is the primary goal for a remix: to give the song an entirely new identity.

Remixes are not locked down to a specific genre. House/club music is the most common go-to style for remixes, that goes almost without saying, but not the exclusive one. There are R&B remixes, hip hop remixes, classical/acoustic remixes, so on and so forth.

The word "contemporized" was coined by L.A. Reid. In a nutshell, that word means that Michael's songs were taken from their original state and modernized, given a new coat of paint if you will, to make them fit in better with current pop music. It goes without saying, then, that such modernizations could not have been possible without a producer taking the existing track and adding, removing and/or changing various parts of it to fit a new landscape. Which is exactly, word for word, what a producer does when making a remix.

Calling a song a remix isn't degrading it or making it seem less than what it is. Personal opinions on the quality of the songs themselves are completely irrelevant. Fact of the matter is, as far as official definitions are concerned, every single song included on XSCAPE is a remix.

If you don't get that after this post, Onir, I give up hope on trying to get through to you.

Are we really still having the remix/contemporize argument?

I am not.

Personal opinions are completely irrelevant here.

But you are obviously having your personal opinion here and that is fine with me.

The textbook definition of a remix is a piece of media which has been altered from its original state by adding, removing, and/or changing pieces of the item. Every single song on XSCAPE has been significantly altered from its original counterpart; most of the modernized mixes have completely erased all components from the earliest versions as approved by Michael.

Altered from its original state. But what is the original state in that definition? Unfinished recordings and demos? In that case every single song ever released in the history of music is a remix because at some point of its creation it was unfinished or in its demo state.

Approved by Michael for what?? For his personal use, yes, to listen to them to see if anything can be improved. For release, absolutely not.

I return to my BLOOD ON THE DANCE FLOOR comparison here:

Really?? That is really sad. Comparing HIStory album where all songs were finished, mastered and released with unpublished, unfinished songs and demos in various states of completion is just wrong. And I said it few times already. Why are you ignoring that fact? To fit your "definition" of remix, of course.

Are first 5 songs on BOTDF album also remixes? By your definition they are. Because they were "altered from its original state". And that is true if we forget the fact that those songs were unpublished, not finished and ready for release until they were released on BOTDF.

Fact of the matter is, as far as official definitions are concerned, every single song included on XSCAPE is a remix.

For you, maybe. But they are not.

If you don't get that after this post, Onir, I give up hope on trying to get through to you.

If you don't get that after this post, AlwaysThere, I give up hope on trying to get through to you. And I was done with this topic, you could have move on too. We obviously have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Just leave it AT, obviously some people are too divulged in the crap sound of music these days.

Going against the tide here, but being honest. I actually like what they did with a number of songs on Xscape. I remember only feeling disappointed with Chicago and DYKWYCA's contemporisation. Blue Gangsta I'm not entirely big on either version, but I've never really been big on that song anyway.

I think it really comes down to the mood I'm in when I choose which version of the song to play. If I'm feeling something more modern, I might play the updated tracks but if I'm feeling something, say, more 80s/90s, I might play the original demos. Overall though, judging by my iTunes playcount, I clearly play the contemporary versions faaaaaar more than the demos.

I was a big fan of the Michael album when it first came out, but in retrospect, I think it's largely just due to the fact we had something 'new' by Michael. Within months though, I quickly found myself bored of the album and it's sound.

In retrospect, I'm quite disappointed with the way Michael turned out. 3 controversial songs aside, I never really liked most of the songs on there. The highlights for me were Hold My Hand, Hollywood Tonight. Behind the Mask was alright I suppose, so was Much Too Soon and Breaking News (What? I liked the beat...). Every thing else I found forgettable and beyond disappointing (what the hell ever happened to Another Day?!). It's an album that gathers dust amongst a pile of CDs in my wardrobe, I haven't let in my iTunes for years and I can't honestly say I miss it. Of course, being music after all, it's entirely subjective.

I'm far more impressed with Xscape in just about every aspect and I can easily foresee myself playing that album in the years to come. It's an album I want to turn up to the max and blast to the world!

Just leave it AT, obviously some people are too divulged in the crap sound of music these days.

So if YOU don't like it, then it's a "crap music" and "remix". WOW!! And why do you think you are qualified to make that statement. You are some kind of music expert?

So if YOU don't like it, then it's a "crap music" and "remix". WOW!! And why do you think you are qualified to make that statement. You are some kind of music expert?

If you want to try and gain success with your lack-luster argument regarding remixes, instead of enjoying Christmas then go ahead :)

Suffering Jesus haha I didn't realise this argument was still going! Happy Christmas lads

If you want to try and gain success with your lack-luster argument regarding remixes, instead of enjoying Christmas then go ahead :)

Gain success?? What are you talking about? My arguments are valid. I'm enjoying Xscape and I'm enjoying Christmas very much. You are the one that is frustrated with it and can't enjoy it. You should just let it go and try to find some joy in the next album (although I doubt you'll enjoy anything with that attitude). This one is obviously not meant for you. And your frustration over it won't change anything. Just let it go, play some other album and enjoy it. Merry Christmas!

The tracks on Xscape are remixes, as they differ from the original recording's completely. As for the song's that were included on 'Michael' they are considered as Contemporized/Finished, just take the demo of 'Dangerous' for example, and compare it to the album version. Michael never released computer processed crap.

Can't get enough of Xscape, i'm so proud of Michael right now.. i feel blessed to be his fan, his music creations are timeless and these celebrations are extremely fitting.. where have you guys been hearing 'Xscape'? not just your own cd's but other sources.. i.e dj sets, music store playback etc.

Zakk, the above quote is yours. What happened to the Zakk from just a few months ago?

I know I've mentioned this before but I truly loved Xscape when it first came out on May 13, 2014 and I STILL do. It is timeless imo. We have the originals and the new versions; how lucky are we! I cherish this project, and like I've said before, I keep going back to it. My nephew feels the same way. I can see me going back years from now and listening to it just like I do all his other albums. MICHAEL not so much except HMH, BTM, HT, MTS, others are forgettable.

Merry Xmas to all!

Michael never released computer processed crap.

A number of his later albums actually were, using your terminology, 'computer processed'. Perhaps most prominently this album:

cover600x600.jpeg

You can't really say Michael never released anything 'computer processed'. That is fact. Whether it's crap or not, well, that's subjective.

To me the songs on Xscape are neither remixes nor new songs. I think contemporized or alternative versions is probably the most accurate description.

Zakk, i guess you never heard of the Invincible album. Lol I mean what do you think will.i.am used when he worked with MJ, a symphonic orchestra? :lol:

I think between Xscape and Michael there could've been a really great album for the fans, had the estate not been so money-hungry, spreading MJ's work so thinly over each release so as to maximise the amount of new releases.

I think this would've made an amazing album:

1. Xscape (2014 version)
2. Hollywood Tonight (Michael version)
3. Slave 2 The Rhythm (2014 version)
4. Best of Joy
5. A Place With No Name (original)
6. Chicago (2014 version)
7. Do You Know Where Your Children Are (2010 version)
8. Another Day
9. Behind The Mask
10. Much Too Soon

BONUS TRACKS:
11. Blue Gangster (original)
12. I Like The Way You Love Me (remix)

Loving You could've gone on Bad 25. Whilst I like the finished version of HMH, there is not enough MJ vocals to warrant it being on a MJ album. I could happily live without Love Never Felt So Good and of course the Cascio tracks.

I think between Xscape and Michael there could've been a really great album for the fans, had the estate not been so money-hungry, spreading MJ's work so thinly over each release so as to maximise the amount of new releases.

Making good business decisions is not being money-hungry. They released over 20 unreleased songs in 5 years (that is a lot for a dead artist!). I agree about fake Cascio songs though - that was a huge mistake and very bad business decision.

This Is It (1)
MICHAEL (6)
Bad 25 (6)
Xscape (8)
+ they approved All In Your Name
+ they approved There Must Be More To Life Than This

They have to spread MJ's work over each release because MJ is not here to record new material.

Back