Sam Smith: "I don't like Michael Jackson"

I think the issue is that this fool sample a song by MJ. If you do not like Mike, that is fine (some people do not like Sam) but DO NOT TOUCH MICHAEL's Music. MJ's music is just as much apart of MJ so leave it ALL MJ and his music alone.

Which song did he sample ?

terrell;4227800 said:
I think the issue is that this fool sample a song by MJ. If you do not like Mike, that is fine (some people do not like Sam) but DO NOT TOUCH MICHAEL's Music. MJ's music is just as much apart of MJ so leave it ALL MJ and his music alone.

Miel;4227810 said:
Which song did he sample ?

It is Sam Smith’s song ‘Writing's on the Wall’ (which he co-wrote with Jimmy Napes) for the James Bond film ‘Spectre’.

According to many people (including also music experts, musicologists, critics), ‘Writing's on the Wall’ melodically sounds very similar to MJ’s ‘Earth Song’.

Neither Smith nor Napes credited ‘Earth Song’ (for that strong melodic resemblance), so ‘Writing's on the Wall’ is generally considered a rip-off of that MJ’s song.

mj_frenzy;4227816 said:
It is Sam Smith’s song ‘Writing's on the Wall’ (which he co-wrote with Jimmy Napes) for the James Bond film ‘Spectre’.

According to many people (including also music experts, musicologists, critics), ‘Writing's on the Wall’ melodically sounds very similar to MJ’s ‘Earth Song’.

Neither Smith nor Napes credited ‘Earth Song’ (for that strong melodic resemblance), so ‘Writing's on the Wall’ is generally considered a rip-off of that MJ’s song.

Pretty sure that was proven wrong. Just because it sounds similar it doesn't mean it was stolen.

Pretty sure that was proven wrong. Just because it sounds similar it doesn't mean it was stolen.

But he WAS successfully sued by Tom Petty for stealing I Won't Back Down for another of his songs.

I reckon there's a fair argument here for showing respect for those that have gone before, given the field Sam Smith works in.

Last edited:
But he WAS successfully sued by Tom Perry for stealing I Won't Back Down for another of his songs.

I reckon there's a fair argument here for showing respect for those that have gone before, given the field Sam Smith works in.

To be clear I don't particularly like Sam Smith. I'm just saying that because something sounds similar it doesn't mean it's the exact same. I was only talking about Earth Song, I'm not aware of anything else he may have done.

To be clear I don't particularly like Sam Smith. I'm just saying that because something sounds similar it doesn't mean it's the exact same.

What proof is it you're referring to that it wasn't plagiarised?

Come on.... I've heard people compare sam.smiths song to earth song before but that is a pretty far stretch.. how can we accuse sam smith for copying Michael's Earth Song in the same breath defend Michael when Quincy said he got Billie jean from donna summers? Sorry, the bass on Billie jean is more similar to state of independnace song than sam.smiths song is to earth song..I'm not saying mike stole from donna, it's just hypocritical to accuse one person while defending someone else for the same thing.. and Michael has for sore copied others before musically.. like heavily Its bias for michael.. not fair or even treatment

influence

and Michael has for sure copied others before musically
All performers have copied something from someone else either directly or indirectly. Like if you hear a slap bass, then it originated from Larry Graham, even if a particular bassist has never heard of Larry or his music. Stevie Wonder was doing the "hee hee hee" in the early 1970s and "shamon" was Mavis Staples from the Staple Singers.

The claim was 'proven wrong' because one person felt it sounded nothing like it? Right okay...

I'm not accusing Sam Smith of anything. Although I do feel Tom Petty was warranted in his lawsuit.

Of course musicians borrow and certain sounds and themes do crop up, but there are some artists out there today who seem unable to shake these types of accusations. Ed Sheeran is another one. He's been successfully sued a number of times and it's cost him millions.

KOPV, I emphatically reject your Billie Jean comparison if you're considering it the same as the Sam Smith/Tom Petty scenario.

Re: influence

All performers have copied something from someone else either directly or indirectly. Like if you hear a slap bass, then it originated from Larry Graham, even if a particular bassist has never heard of Larry or his music. Stevie Wonder was doing the "hee hee hee" in the early 1970s and "shamon" was Mavis Staples from the Staple Singers.

Yea I'm well aware artists are influenced by others..Im just stating that it's unfair to attack one person for doing it when we defend another for doing the same act were giving sh** for. some would say Michael straight jacked music before.. so let's ease off sam.smith a bit..

And yes it does annoy me that sam smith would say what he did. Though he has every right to say it.

Re: influence

Yea I'm well aware artists are influenced by others..Im just stating that it's unfair to attack one person for doing it when we defend another for doing the same act were giving sh** for. some would say Michael straight jacked music before.. so let's ease off sam.smith a bit..

And yes it does annoy me that sam smith would say what he did. Though he has every right to say it.
If he said he doesn't like Mike's music, then he doesn't. It's not a requirement that everybody in the world must like somebody's music or singing. I don't see any reason to get upset about that, especially since it appears that it was a private comment on a boat that happened to be filmed. Not a public statement. At least it's not like all the comments Rick James has made in the media/press about Prince over the years. :rofl: The things that artists like Ted Nugent & Gene Simmons has said about different people is a lot worse than saying they don't like a person's music.

^ well that's why i am standing up for him.. he has the right to not like mike.. I'm just a fan that cant wrap my mind how possible.. lol

And for fans to say he copied Michael, not everyone has to be a mega mj fan.. cuz if we are all being honest mike copied alot musically.. as innovative as he was there are songs that straight took from others. Let's just be fair! I'm not hating on mike nor am I hating on others that are influenced by who ever..

It's like hating on the company Apple for being so sneaky about the technology of the iphone.. they didnt invent it.. I fact Samsung made it FOR apple, apple patented Apple's work and sued Samsung for using there own technology in there phones.. art is always influenced by other art.

The claim was 'proven wrong' because one person felt it sounded nothing like it? Right okay...

I'm not accusing Sam Smith of anything. Although I do feel Tom Petty was warranted in his lawsuit.

Of course musicians borrow and certain sounds and themes do crop up, but there are some artists out there today who seem unable to shake these types of accusations. Ed Sheeran is another one. He's been successfully sued a number of times and it's cost him millions.

KOPV, I emphatically reject your Billie Jean comparison if you're considering it the same as the Sam Smith/Tom Petty scenario.

Listen to "writing on the wall",and play Michaels lines in your head to it.
It doesn't fit,whether you want it to or not.

As for "I won't back down"by Petty and Jeff Lynne.
Jeff Lynne was ok to rip off The Beatles "Across the Universe",almost line from line for "Mr.Kingdom",but felt the need to sue Sam Smith over "Stay with Me"
Hmmm

Re: Bollywood

Why would you have heard of him since you're always saying you only listen to Bollywood music and nothing else?

Actually I do listen to other kinds of music. I listen to Christian music, Some 80s, video game music, Irish music, and I love the group Blackmore's Night. I only listen to Bollywood music most of the time. Since I can no longer can handle listen to Michael. Without causing me to suffer from an anxiety or panic attack. I had to replaced him with Bollywood/Indian music. It is because of my depression is why I can't listen to Michael on most days out of the year. Which also probably explains why I no longer have him on my MP3 player.:(

Chrisc, I was speaking about sam smith and earth song... I'm basically just saying we cant give anyone sh!t for copying when Michael has done it.

And not specifically Billie jean.. there are other songs that are much more obviously copying others. Some that are (in my opinion) too far and too much.. and referring to mj songs that I LOVE

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Stephanie Mills is a savage. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DefendingTheKing?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#DefendingTheKing</a> <a href="https://t.co/zLOcV1JeyA">pic.twitter.com/zLOcV1JeyA</a></p>&mdash; andjustice4some (@andjustice4some) <a href="https://twitter.com/andjustice4some/status/1028748983894560768?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 12, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

(y) props to Stephanie Mills

CtC_SrIWAAMvAV8.jpg

MJsBollywoodGirl7;4227853 said:
Actually I do listen to other kinds of music. I listen to Christian music, Some 80s, video game music, Irish music, and I love the group Blackmore's Night. I only listen to Bollywood music most of the time. Since I can no longer can handle listen to Michael. Without causing me to suffer from an anxiety or panic attack. I had to replaced him with Bollywood/Indian music. It is because of my depression is why I can't listen to Michael on most days out of the year. Which also probably explains why I no longer have him on my MP3 player.:(
I don't know what country you're in, but none of that is played on current Top 40 radio in the USA. 1980s hits are played on oldies or old school radio stations. So unless you listen to Top 40, I wouldn't expect you to know singers/rappers/bands that are popular now. Most of the Top 20 now is usually hip hop artists. Migos, Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, & Cardi B are probably the most popular rappers at the moment. Then a few singers & bands like Ariana Grande, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Bruno Mars, or Maroon 5 and maybe 1 or 2 country acts, plus whatever DJ Khaled puts out.

DuranDuran;4227859 said:
I don't know what country you're in, but none of that is played on current Top 40 radio in the USA. 1980s hits are played on oldies or old school radio stations. So unless you listen to Top 40, I wouldn't expect you to know singers/rappers/bands that are popular now. Most of the Top 20 now is usually hip hop artists. Migos, Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, & Cardi B are probably the most popular rappers at the moment. Then a few singers & bands like Ariana Grande, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Bruno Mars, or Maroon 5 and maybe 1 or 2 country acts, plus whatever DJ Khaled puts out.

Well I happen to live in the U.S. I lived here for my entire life. But I don't listen to today's music. That is because I personally hate today's music that is played in my country. It's been well over a decade since I last actually listen to the radio. Who needs the radio when I have an MP3 player where I can listen to my own music on it. As well as you tube. And I prefer listening to real singers. Not to people who only thinks they can sing. When they really can't. And btw I absolutely hate rap music. At one time I used to like it. But I am no longer in my 20s. I am almost 40 years old. And someone my age doesn't really listen to young people's music. maybe some do but I don't. The only American singers I would listen to now is either Blackmore's Night. Or to Christian singers like Paul Wilbur and Kari Jobe.

Idk the reason of the debate about why/how someone never heard of sam smith.. hes a pretty big artist, not EVERYONE knows about him. Some may recognize a song or two or three but there are people that if I were to ask.. "who's sam Smith" theyd not be sure. But many know him..

not.like living under a rock but youd have to be pretty out of the us chart loop to not know..

Simple

MJsBollywoodGirl7;4227867 said:
And btw I absolutely hate rap music. At one time I used to like it. But I am no longer in my 20s. I am almost 40 years old. And someone my age doesn't really listen to young people's music. maybe some do but I don't. The only American singers I would listen to now is either Blackmore's Night. Or to Christian singers like Paul Wilbur and Kari Jobe.
Jay-Z is close to age 50 and people still listen to him. He just released a collabo album with Beyoncé. Janet Jackson did part of Cardi B's song Bodak Yellow at one of her concerts not that long ago and had other rappers on her most recent music. Janet is over 50. Stevie Wonder, who is 68, has done songs with rappers in recent years, including one that was just released. Paul McCartney did a song with Rihanna & Kanye West and Paul is in his 70s. Mike was over 40 when Invincible was released and there's rappers & hip hop sounds on it too. In Mike's later years he was working with will.i.am, who is a rapper. So rap is not just music for young people and not all rappers are young. Some early rappers still perform just like the Rolling Stones, Tony Bennett, & Paul McCartney do.

Listen to "writing on the wall",and play Michaels lines in your head to it.
It doesn't fit,whether you want it to or not.

As for "I won't back down"by Petty and Jeff Lynne.
Jeff Lynne was ok to rip off The Beatles "Across the Universe",almost line from line for "Mr.Kingdom",but felt the need to sue Sam Smith over "Stay with Me"
Hmmm

Where are you getting that I want them to fit? I just asked what SmoothGangsta was referring to even he said it was 'proven wrong'.

I may be wrong but on reading up on the Tom Petty situation it would appear there was no lawsuit. Sam Smith did pay out though.

Where are you getting that I want them to fit? I just asked what SmoothGangsta was referring to even he said it was 'proven wrong'.

I may be wrong but on reading up on the Tom Petty situation it would appear there was no lawsuit. Sam Smith did pay out though.

12.5% royalties,with both parties agreeing it sounded similar but not deliberate.
I doubt they would make the same mistake twice.

"Whether you want it to fit or not",a general term

DuranDuran;4227870 said:
Jay-Z is close to age 50 and people still listen to him. He just released a collabo album with Beyoncé. Janet Jackson did part of Cardi B's song Bodak Yellow at one of her concerts not that long ago and had other rappers on her most recent music. Janet is over 50. Stevie Wonder, who is 68, has done songs with rappers in recent years, including one that was just released. Paul McCartney did a song with Rihanna & Kanye West and Paul is in his 70s. Mike was over 40 when Invincible was released and there's rappers & hip hop sounds on it too. In Mike's later years he was working with will.i.am, who is a rapper. So rap is not just music for young people and not all rappers are young. Some early rappers still perform just like the Rolling Stones, Tony Bennett, & Paul McCartney do.

That is those people then. If that is what they like. I most certainly don't have to like their kind of music. And let me tell you another reason why I have not heard of this Sam Smith guy. That I forgot to mention. Is that ever since what happen to Michael. I totally stopped watching those celebrity news shows. I don't even watch Mtv, BET, and VH1 anymore. Without Michael there is absolutely no point of me watching any of that. Especially since almost all of my other favorite American celebs. Most especially my favorite Hollywood actors are all dead now. Betty White and Carol Burnett are the only 2 American celebs that I like that are still living. And plus ever since what happen to Michael. I don't like to watch a lot of tv anymore. And if I do have it on. That is only to watch either mostly my Christian related tv shows, the news, old tv shows from the 50s to the 2000s that I like, Doctor Who, The X-Files, and nature, science, and paranormal type programs. Most especially shows about astronomy, Ancient Aliens, and nature shows like The Blue Planet. So I always stay away from anything that has to do with celebrity news.

^ I'm trying to understand the point of telling people that you dont know sam smith than tell say reasons why you're not familiar with modern american pop music within this thread?

I guess more so, I'm trying to understand why is there a debate about it? So I guess not fully directed towards you since it takes more than one to debate..

Were that desperate for topics here right now? Lol. I think we are..

SOMETHING mj related happen already.. something that will get us talking with excitement lol

Imagine the threads like this in 2003-2005. Why have we grown so soft?! I'm baffled as to why this is even open and hasn't been deleted!

Re: Bollywood

That is those people then. If that is what they like. I most certainly don't have to like their kind of music.
Nobody said you have to like it or listen to it. You said hip hop is music for young people, when people of all ages listen to it. There's a rap battle TV show called Drop The Mic that has many different musicians, actors, & celebrities and some of them are from the baby boomer generation. Some popular actors today are rappers like the Fresh Prince (Will Smith), Ice Cube, Queen Latifah, 50 Cent, & Ice-T. They found big success as actors when most rock & pop stars before them failed like Madonna, Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, & Prince. Even Elvis Presley was not really taken seriously although he was the #1 box office draw for a little while. The house band on the Tonight Show are The Roots, a rap band. The Tonight Show is about as mainstream as you can get in the USA. Many movies, TV shows, and commercials today has rap songs in them. Hip hop been has the #1 genre in the US for years now, replacing rock n roll.

Back