Sam Smith: "I don't like Michael Jackson"

Human Nature

Did he talk about the beatles? What about Elvis? no, he talked about Mj. that is what is getting the R & B community by his comments as well.
Human Nature was playing. Their music was not being played in the video, so why would he be talking about them? I don't know what the big deal is about this anyway. He didn't say it in a negative way like Michael Jackson's music sucks or is rubbish or "I feel sorry for people who like Drake & Post Malone" and wish rap music would go away. :rofl: Sam even said he liked Human Nature.

Some of y'all are being extra af about this.
He didn't make some grand defiant statement in an interview or something. It was some off handed comment hanging out on a boat. No one's obligated to like Michaels music, jfc.

Re: Bollywood

And that's so sad. I wonder why people like hip hop so much. I have never liked it, barring a few rap songs here and there. Overrated genre that will hopefully go away into oblivion some day.

You don't like it, so that means it should disappear? That's not how this works..

We really need to get rid of this pessimistic, insecure reactions that fill this forum with hate..

This is a general statement.. there is NO reason to shame someone for saying they dont like Michael jackson.. there is NO reason to be little someone like Post Malone for breaking record..

Imagine you're an artist, you break a record and you hear.. "no ones going to remember you" and stuff like that. what is the purpose to say something like that aside for fulfilling some MJ fandom threatening feeling inside of you?

Even if I hated Michael music, I would not deserve to be talked down to.. taste in music is opinion. You cant argue what they like..

Be shamed for not liking onions at a table with onion eaters and see how ridiculous it sounds

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sam Smith made a career on singing R&amp;B/soul music. So to look into a camera and disregard one of its pillars is ignorant, disrespectful and arrogant. Everyone has opinions but <a href="https://twitter.com/samsmithworld?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@samsmithworld</a> don’t disparage a soul pioneer when they helped paved the way for you and your music. &#129323; <a href="https://t.co/SzNQa2QAzr">pic.twitter.com/SzNQa2QAzr</a></p>&mdash; TJ Jackson (@tjjackson) <a href="https://twitter.com/tjjackson/status/1029012025081360385?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">13. August 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Stephanie Mills Checks Sam Smith for Saying He Doesn’t Like Michael Jackson -- &quot;Don’t come for MICHAEL JACKSON when you wish you have sold as many records and you wish you were the King of Pop like he was&quot; Stephanie Mills. <a href="https://t.co/O4KSyk7olo">https://t.co/O4KSyk7olo</a> <a href="https://t.co/vmdFBbT0xu">pic.twitter.com/vmdFBbT0xu</a></p>&mdash; EBONY MAGAZINE (@EBONYMag) <a href="https://twitter.com/EBONYMag/status/1029104757825302528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">13. August 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What you are doing with this thread is to advertise him. He get what he wanted, good job. (y)

Oh I know people have heard of sam smith.. lol thanks for that post.. just cuz hes not as big as Michael doesnt mean hes not a known artist.. he even made the song for the last 007 movie. They dont just trust randoms with movies anthems like that

Last edited:
DuranDuran;4227859 said:
I don't know what country you're in, but none of that is played on current Top 40 radio in the USA. 1980s hits are played on oldies or old school radio stations. So unless you listen to Top 40, I wouldn't expect you to know singers/rappers/bands that are popular now. Most of the Top 20 now is usually hip hop artists. Migos, Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, & Cardi B are probably the most popular rappers at the moment. Then a few singers & bands like Ariana Grande, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Bruno Mars, or Maroon 5 and maybe 1 or 2 country acts, plus whatever DJ Khaled puts out.

Its funny because up here in Canada I hear MJ on the radio everyday. I live near Toronto and MJ is one of the rare artists that gets daily play along side the Top 40 hits. The most popular station in the Greater Toronto Area (8 million+ people) is Z103.5 , which focuses on Top 40, but they also play MJ all the time! Michael Jackson is one of the rare artists that gets the royal treatment and his music is not just considered some 1980's throwback. I hear Billie Jean, The Way You Make Me Feel, Black Or White, and Don't Matter To Me all the time!

^ I wish that were like that where I am.. I only hear mj on the old school stations and very much treated like an old 80s star.. i get so annoyed cuz i know it affects the way people see him. He was more than an 80s hit maker

^ I wish that were like that where I am.. I only hear mj on the old school stations and very much treated like an old 80s star.. i get so annoyed cuz i know it affects the way people see him. He was more than an 80s hit maker

That's a shame! Come up to Toronto sometime you'll see what Im talking about. Not just on that one particular station but all the popular stations play MJ! His music is played at clubs, restaurants, stores, and on radio. You could swear MJ is still alive and popular on the charts. Its weird though because MJ is one of the rare retro artists that gets this type of treatment. You will be listening to the radio and it goes from Nicki Manaj to Drake to Post Malone to Travis Scott to Taylor Swift to Michael Jackson.

^ that's awesome.. that's stuff that some may take for granted.. in ways that's life changing, living in a place that shows true appreciation for someone were passionate about.

You mentioned post malone.. funny cuz in the post malone thread people keep saying they haven't heard of him... I digress

You mentioned post malone.. funny cuz in the post malone thread people keep saying they haven't heard of him... I digress

And that bothers you because? I love how you are acting like you are the bastion of goodwill by defending modern artists. Just because someone hasn't heard of Post Malone, it doesn't mean they are hating on him. Just to let you know, not everyone follows the charts, listens to radios etc.

It's all a fuss over nothing really.
If I was cycnical I'd say Sam did it for attention, but I think Sam was being honest and didn't even think about it being caught on camera. Most likely Adam realised that he could create headlines and posted it to create some fuss. It worked.
In any case I don't care whether Sam likes MJ or not. I have frequently said how I don't like Sam Smith's music aside from that track that he featured on before he became known for his own music (can't remember the name). Sam's music is just too sentimental and depressing for my liking and it's about time he released something more joyful.

Anyway, Sam's opinion makes no difference to me and it shouldn't make any difference to anybody else IMO. It's not as if he really let rip on MJ or said anything libelous. He wasn't even being nasty in any way. He just said he didn't like him. Whats the big deal???

In the end there has been some positive buzz around MJ because many reports have been showing how outrageous Sam's opinion is, but then there are also those reports using the issue to denounce MJ. At the end of the day MJ's in the news again and that's unlikely to cause any harm in the long run.

Nobodies attacking Lambert are they,with one news article calling it "Lamberts innocent video"!?
What's worth noting in that footage,apart from Smith's comment and WHY post it?
Lambert needs to explain his reason,and rather than that,it's now missing on his Instagram page!

Hmmm

It's all a fuss over nothing really.
If I was cycnical I'd say Sam did it for attention, but I think Sam was being honest and didn't even think about it being caught on camera. Most likely Adam realised that he could create headlines and posted it to create some fuss. It worked.
In any case I don't care whether Sam likes MJ or not. I have frequently said how I don't like Sam Smith's music aside from that track that he featured on before he became known for his own music (can't remember the name). Sam's music is just too sentimental and depressing for my liking and it's about time he released something more joyful.

Anyway, Sam's opinion makes no difference to me and it shouldn't make any difference to anybody else IMO. It's not as if he really let rip on MJ or said anything libelous. He wasn't even being nasty in any way. He just said he didn't like him. Whats the big deal???

In the end there has been some positive buzz around MJ because many reports have been showing how outrageous Sam's opinion is, but then there are also those reports using the issue to denounce MJ. At the end of the day MJ's in the news again and that's unlikely to cause any harm in the long run.

Nothing more than a publicity stunt.
I don't like Sam Smith either.
Earlier days, his music could be seen in J Cole's - Latch ( ft. Sam Smith& Disclosure), that's the ONLY song I like

Sam Smith casually saying he doesnt loke mj but likes the song is a publicity stunt? Lol ok..

Sorry as much of a huge impact Michael has made on the world.. the world doesnt revolve around him.

Sam posted on IG a few years ago him listening to YRMW wonder what changed

Try ......"I don't like "xxxxx xxxxxx", (some obscure artist, nobody's heard of...
but "I do like the song" (the song the obscure artist has sung)

see if can garner this much of virality.

The world doesn't revolve around Michael Jackson... right if
you're ordinary
Joe Blog who's NOT a fellow pop music artist who
thread the very path whom Michael Jackson has paved for you.
Who revived music video when it was dead in the waters.... (MTV) it was called then.
How do you get your marketing exposure
What medium...still music video now...
You Tube, Vevo, platform for streaming Spotify, Tidal, Apple,
Amazon, Netflix, and what's out there,
you still need eyeballs, you need exposure,
with exposure comes the chance to sell music. Singles, albums, concert tickets,
music streams, whatever.
Same destination, different delivery.

Saying you don't like the guy who has given so much influence & contribution to clear your path
in your pop music industry is DISRESPECTFUl!
It guarantees flak and flak is controversy and controversy garners publicity
& publicity SELLS! Period!
You learn that from the master of controversy,
the King of Pop himself - Michael Jackson! Take that Sam Smith!
And if this's not a publicity stunt, then what?

Adam Lambert's not even squeaking, crickets on Instagram

music videos

Who revived music video when it was dead in the waters.... (MTV) it was called then.
How do you get your marketing exposure
Music videos have been around since the 1920s or 1930s when they were called soundies and then Scopitones. The Monkees TV show in the 1960s had music videos too, they were called romps. You could also say that movie musicals like Singing In The Rain were long music videos.

MTV was not dead before they started playing Michael Jackson videos. If that was the case, then CBS Records would not have threatened to take off all their other artists if they did not play Billie Jean. What would be the point of the label wanting to get Mike's videos played on a channel that was not popular? It would not have made that much of a difference in sales if that was the case. Maybe MTV is dead today as far as music videos go, since its mostly reality shows now. Also artists promoted their music on TV long before MTV was created on shows like American Bandstand, Soul Train, Solid Gold, Midnight Special, Hee Haw, The !!!! Beat, Shindig, Ed Sullivan Show, SOUL!, Black Omnibus,
Jazz Casual, Rock Concert, Austin City Limits, Old Grey Whistle Test, Top Of The Pops, and so on.

MTV barely started in Aug 1981.. so to say Michael's videos "revived" MTV.. it was new still!!

MTV and Michael Road each other to glory.. Michael helped MTVZ THRIVE to huge success but he did not revive it.. MTV blew up cuz of Michael's videos and died with the death of videos.. no one cares and I consider MTV (,miscilanous telivion) not music television now.

I don't think there's one at all in this case. Just people getting angry about an offhand comment made in a seconds long video

Nah, obviously anyone who doesn't like Michael Jackson is just begging for attention. Nobody can simply have "opinions" in this day and age lol

There are plenty of people that dont care about Michael's music pr his voice.. or simply dont even care about dancing to be impressed by him...

I know that's hard for us to wrap our minds around but it's true. I've had conversations and debates with people that dont care for him.. as much as I didnt like swallowing that pill, some people simply dont dig mj.. it doesnt me.m theres an agenda or conspiracy.. people habe different tastes

Nah, obviously anyone who doesn't like Michael Jackson is just begging for attention. Nobody can simply have "opinions" in this day and age lol

I like Sam Smith,but I don't think it's anything about publicity or attention.
It's about partying,drinking too much and acting like a dick! And he certainly needs to explain as it's gone ballistic in the public eye,but I won't hold my breath.

Back