Sam Smith: "I don't like Michael Jackson"

Re: Bollywood

Hip hop been has the #1 genre in the US for years now, replacing rock n roll.

And that's so sad. I wonder why people like hip hop so much. I have never liked it, barring a few rap songs here and there. Overrated genre that will hopefully go away into oblivion some day.

^ it's funny how when people dont connect with what's 'hot' we think there's something wrong externally.. Haha

We all do it! It happens generation after generation too with music.. rock and roll annoyed the older generations when it was hot.. pop did the same for some.. than rap..

For me, while there is alot.pf.garbage out there, I still love hip hop as a whole.. Michael jackson and hip hop were born from the same source.. mike is hip hop on so many levels

And that's so sad. I wonder why people like hip hop so much. I have never liked it, barring a few rap songs here and there. Overrated genre that will hopefully go away into oblivion some day.
That won't be anytime soon. Rock n roll was #1 for over 60 years. There's a lot of people today that have not lived when hip hop has not existed. It's what they know. Obama had rappers perform at the white house, and even Trump talked to Kid Rock & Kanye West at the white house. There's college courses on Tupac Shakur and rap as poetry. It's not just influenced music either, hip hop has influenced modern fashion, art, and entertainment in general. There's symphony orchestras doing classical versions of hip hop songs or doing new compositions with a hip hop influence. The Broadway show Hamilton has been really popular and many of Weird Al's later parodies are rap hits and there's things like Epic Rap Battles In History (ERB) that get many millions of views on Youtube. Psy's song Gangnam Style is one of the most viewed videos on Youtube (currently over 3 billion) and that's just the main music video and not all of the other posts of the song which also have millions of views. Psy is rapping in Korean. Snoop Dogg is on a cooking show with Martha Stewart. There's rap in modern rock, heavy metal, country, dance music, gospel, R&B, blues, and other genres. Straight Outta Compton is the highest grossing music biopic ever. Some of the biggest selling artists of the 2000s are Nelly, Eminem, & OutKast. They all have diamond albums (10 million).

I'll tell you what will happen to hip hop.. all popular music, it's going to keep bleeding together until it's all hard to distinguish what's pop and what's hip hop.. it already happened and will just continue.

Hip hop is not just rap.. which btw will never go anywhere.. rap is simply spoken poetry in a rhythmic pattern. That's been around before recorded music!

12.5% royalties,with both parties agreeing it sounded similar but not deliberate.
I doubt they would make the same mistake twice.

"Whether you want it to fit or not",a general term

Nobody pays out for similarities.

Your 'general term' didn't sound so general.

^ hes a big american artist that has hit songs such as "too good at goodbye", "I'm not the onlyone", "stay with me" and others.

Hes known for emotionally driven songs.. usually a pretty sad feel to them with catchy melody.. not all songs are sad like "money on my mind" but alotnof break up songs

^ hes a big american artist that has hit songs such as "too good at goodbye", "I'm not the onlyone", "stay with me" and others.

Hes known for emotionally driven songs.. usually a pretty sad feel to them with catchy melody.. not all songs are sad like "money on my mind" but alotnof break up songs

He isn't big at all and neither is he American. He is English and I doubt most people outside of the UK know who Sam Smith is. He certainly isn't some big superstar.

That won't be anytime soon. Rock n roll was #1 for over 60 years. There's a lot of people today that have not lived when hip hop has not existed. It's what they know. Obama had rappers perform at the white house, and even Trump talked to Kid Rock & Kanye West at the white house. There's college courses on Tupac Shakur and rap as poetry. It's not just influenced music either, hip hop has influenced modern fashion, art, and entertainment in general. There's symphony orchestras doing classical versions of hip hop songs or doing new compositions with a hip hop influence. The Broadway show Hamilton has been really popular and many of Weird Al's later parodies are rap hits and there's things like Epic Rap Battles In History (ERB) that get many millions of views on Youtube. Psy's song Gangnam Style is one of the most viewed videos on Youtube (currently over 3 billion) and that's just the main music video and not all of the other posts of the song which also have millions of views. Psy is rapping in Korean. Snoop Dogg is on a cooking show with Martha Stewart. There's rap in modern rock, heavy metal, country, dance music, gospel, R&B, blues, and other genres. Straight Outta Compton is the highest grossing music biopic ever. Some of the biggest selling artists of the 2000s are Nelly, Eminem, & OutKast. They all have diamond albums (10 million).

That's a shame. But if people enjoy listening to crap like Post Malone, Drake, Travis Scott etc then I feel sorry for them.

He isn't big at all and neither is he American. He is English and I doubt most people outside of the UK know who Sam Smith is. He certainly isn't some big superstar.

When I was in the US in 2014 he was on pop radio a LOT.

Sorry but someone that gets Grammys for 'song of the year', 'best new artist', and 'record of the year'.. all in the same year (2015) is a big artist.. try to belittle it all you want but that's big.

His last album is not as big as his previous but the guy has made a name for himself in a big way and idk the reason why people have to need to cut it down. Us mj fans do that to seemingly everyone that's not up Mike's @$$..

Just because someone may be out of the loop, it doesnt mean the artist is out of the top..

Sorry but someone that gets Grammys for 'song of the year', 'best new artist', and 'record of the year'.. all in the same year (2015) is a big artist.. try to belittle it all you want but that's big.

His last album is not as big as his previous but the guy has made a name for himself in a big way and idk the reason why people have to need to cut it down. Us mj fans do that to seemingly everyone that's not up Mike's @$$..

Just because someone may be out of the loop, it doesnt mean the artist is out of the top..
Well for me, it is NOT about being up Mike's @#$ but it is the way it was done. Yes, Sam can have a opinion but others can response as well. I see Stephanie Mills has responded. She is so correct.

I mean, he said he didn't usually like MJ but it was a good song. People are losing their minds and then you wonder why MJ fans are perceived as mad. Behaviour like this is why.

Last edited:
Well for me, it is NOT about being up Mike's @#$ but it is the way it was done. Yes, Sam can have a opinion but others can response as well. I see Stephanie Mills has responded. She is so correct.

Yes I agree.. but commenting on How not famous sam.amith is because he said he doesn't like Michael is irrelevant and says alot more about the persons being so petty..

I get that his comment is annoying and there are other things to say.. like "sam smith obviously is influenced by Michael to some extent being in the industry hes in should always give Michael respect"

A comment like that is rellivent.. saying "who's this guy anyway" trying to discreadit him is a personal problem.

For Sam Smith’s comments he’s my new addition to my list (my h8t list). He makes me wanna vomit on his comments.

Grammys are a joke and have been for quite sometime. And being a big artist means having consistent success and not fade away after one album. The likes of Adele, Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeren, Drake are current big stars who have dominated the charts for a few years now with multiple albums. Sam Smith is a one album wonder and not some big star.

Jeez some people.. ok sam smith is a nobody, hasn't accomplished anything, and is so not famous..

Someone should ask for his billboard awards, Grammy awards, BET award. Academy award, iheart and other awards to get the awards back from hin. what were they all thinking. And how his latest album reached number one in 11 countries without anyone knowing about him? Hmm Crazy.. must be some conspiracy

Mj fans know

Last edited:
Jeez some people.. ok sam smith is a nobody, hasn't accomplished anything, and is so not famous..

Someone should ask for his billboard awards, Grammy awards, BET award. Academy award, iheart and other awards to get the awards back from hin. what were they all thinking. And how his latest album reached number one in 11 countries without anyone knowing about him? Hmm Crazy.. must be some conspiracy

Mj fans know

You seem to get so defensive because I don't think Sam Smith is a big artist. You must be a fan.

I could take or leave him.. not bad, not great. I just get so tired of fans negative attacks on others that are different. It's very gang like mentality.

* have to dislike the same people and if not, they (fellow fans) get attacked
* anytime someone says anything unflattering to the leader, we perk up with attacks
* give the leader unlimited numbers of passes and excuses to say and do whatever, yet others cant do anything "wrong" without being forever hated on.

Just to name a few things that constantly happen after Michael's passing..

The funny thing is these fans say they have the right to say it.. yet MJ fans that have opinions about Michael, we have to question if it's ok to say.. question if they can have a conversation about Michael's kids being blood. Question if they can tall about Michael's need to change his appearance.. question if they can talk about Michael's drug use.. pr many other subjects. This should be the safe place to talk about it all but not.

rap

That's a shame. But if people enjoy listening to crap like Post Malone, Drake, Travis Scott etc then I feel sorry for them.
Why? How does the music someone else likes or buys affect you in any way? A lot of people like those artists, that's why they get Top 10 hits and lots of Youtube views. Drake recently had 7 songs in the Top 10 at one time beating The Beatles record of 5 in the early 1960s.

^ lol thanks for that.. it's the type of stuff that just get me..

honestly, why you should care about it? so much drama from nothing

^ that's what happens when theres nothing else to talk about lol

Yes I agree.. but commenting on How not famous sam.amith is because he said he doesn't like Michael is irrelevant and says alot more about the persons being so petty..

I get that his comment is annoying and there are other things to say.. like "sam smith obviously is influenced by Michael to some extent being in the industry hes in should always give Michael respect"

A comment like that is rellivent.. saying "who's this guy anyway" trying to discreadit him is a personal problem.
I never talked about his fame or his talent; in fact, that only makes his comment more a head scatcher (that is why Stephanie-and R & b Queen in her own right- and others comment on him). Did he talk about the beatles? What about Elvis? no, he talked about Mj. that is what is getting the R & B community by his comments as well.

I can’t believe the attention this has garnered...who cares, seriously? Moving on...

Back