Stevie Wonder~merged~

Re: a genius's genius.

designed and conceived the best album that's ever graced my ears, mind and soul
f_smiley.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q8dK0iEzi1M

certainly one of the best that has ever graced my ears, heart, mind and soul too. :yes:

oh btw we should talk about that 'soul' part in your post? *giggle* all chemical reactions and neurons and transmitters working there or is it by all means maybe more than that?:cheeky:

Re: Stevie Wonder!!!

Also, Jackson 5 did the backing vocals on "You Haven't Done Nothin'".

You can hear Stevie say "Jackson 5 help me sing it, say Doo-do-wop!"

I love Power Flower and Race Babbling. Race Babbling was way ahead of it's time, it sounded like 90's house music, and this was back in '79, I think.

I love Power Flower and Race Babbling. Race Babbling was way ahead of it's time, it sounded like 90's house music, and this was back in '79, I think.

Yes this album came out in 79. As far as I know, Power Flower is the only time he's sung in falsetto. Also this is the only period he went without sunglasses. I have the LP and it has this flowery scent in it. It's still there, even after all this time, but not as strong though. The cover also has the title in raised Braille, which is not on the CD version.

Oh yeah, something you may not have known:

On "Let's Get Serious" (Jermaine Jackson's song), The "S-E-R-I-O-U-S, Baby let's get serious!!! Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeaaaaaaaaaah!"...

That was actually Stevie singing the bridge, not Jermaine.

Stevie also plays harmonica on
There Must Be An Angel ~ Eurythmics
Brand New Day ~ Sting
You ~ The McCary's
I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues ~ Elton John
I Feel For You ~ Chaka Khan feat Melle Mel (This also has a little sample of Fingertips)
Into You ~ Gloria Estefan (also does some ad-libs)

also obsessed with his various work for Minnie Riperton. just flawless - love the stuff.

He also co-wrote "Tears Of A Clown" for Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.

Played harmonica on "Once Were Lovers" and "I Know" with Luther Vandross.

The song "My Love Is On Fire" by Stevie was originally written by Stevie for Luther.

Luther sang backup vocals on "Part-Time Lover". You can hear him singing that scat-style at the end of the track.

Stevie had another period where he went without glasses (the first half of 1989).

He had them back on by the end of the year though, lol.

Happy Birthday, Stevland! :D

Music of My Mind, Talking Book and Innervisions are probably his greatest works.

^ It's amazing how those lyrics still ring true over 30 years later.

When I was younger I thought Stevie was just a ballad guy... "For Your Love", "I Just Called To Say I Love You"... I was WRONG. So funky and cool.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z1wkJXYRO08

Stevie had another period where he went without glasses (the first half of 1989).

He had them back on by the end of the year though, lol.

Happy Birthday, Stevland! :D

Music of My Mind, Talking Book and Innervisions are probably his greatest works.

Those are my favorite so far too. (I'm a newbee :blush:) There is another album... Conversation Peace, I love what I have heard from that as well.

Those are my favorite so far too. (I'm a newbee :blush:) There is another album... Conversation Peace, I love what I have heard from that as well.
Conversation Peace is from 1995. He has one more album after that A Time To Love which came out in 2005 (unless you count the live album Natural Wonder and the endless compilations).

Conversation Peace is from 1995. He has one more album after that A Time To Love which came out in 2005 (unless you count the live album Natural Wonder and the endless compilations).

I have read that his early stuff and later stuff is the best. I read that for about ten years, like so many other artists, he did not have control of his music and had to bow to his corporate masters. Then he was able to regain control again, I'm not sure when but thought I read 1991. I will pay a little closer attention. I was listening to his station on AOL while I worked on my computer and ever once in a while when I really liked something (which was more ofter than not actually) I would check out the title but not always look up the album or time it was from. Certain albums kept showing up when I would look at the names of the songs I was hearing that I liked though. I didn't realize he only had one album after 1995. I wonder why.

My tickets are for June 26th so I don't have long to wait. I wonder if he will play a mix from all eras.

Well, Stevie started out as a child artist. He had the live version of Fingertips shoot to number one, as well as a few minor hits. When he became a late teen, he was locked into the Motown sound. Now, that wasn't entirely a bad thing, as he had several very classic hits in that timeframe:

Hey Love
For Once In My Life
Don't Know Why I Love You
Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Dah-Day
You Met Your Match
Uptight
Signed, Sealed, Delivered
With A Child's Heart
I Was Made To Love Her.

When "Where I'm Coming From" came out, Stevie worked a little more on the material himself along with his wife, Syreeta. The sound was a little different than some of his past albums. He fought for more control over his music and renegotiated a contract. The result was the album "Music Of My Mind", the first of a string of great albums referred to as his "classic period". The other albums were Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness First Finale, and Songs In The Key of Life.

These were heavily-laced with funk, jazz, pop and soul.

The 80's saw him take more of a turn to pop. I LOVE his 80's stuff. Some people don't like it though, although I wonder if those people actually listened to the albums and aren't basing everything off of "I Just Called To Say I Love You".

Long story short, I love every one of this guy's albums. The depth of his music is astounding. The funky keyboards on "I Love You Too Much", the new-jack style of "Cold Chill", the hip-hop flavor of "Gotta Have You"... Stevie is a genius.

Two more weeks and I get to see him twice in three days!

Last edited:

Well, Stevie started out as a child artist. He had the live version of Fingertips shoot to number one, as well as a few minor hits. When he became a late teen, he was locked into the Motown sound. Now, that wasn't entirely a bad thing, as he had several very classic hits in that timeframe:

Hey Love
For Once In My Life
Don't Know Why I Love You
Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Dah-Day
You Met Your Match
Uptight
Signed, Sealed, Delivered
With A Child's Heart
I Was Made To Love Her.

When "Where I'm Coming From" came out, Stevie worked a little more on the material himself along with his wife, Syreeta. The sound was a little different than some of his past albums. He fought for more control over his music and renegotiated a contract. The result was the album "Music Of My Mind", the first of a string of great albums referred to as his "classic period". The other albums were Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness First Finale, and Songs In The Key of Life.

These were heavily-laced with funk, jazz, pop and soul.

The 80's saw him take more of a turn to pop. I LOVE his 80's stuff. Some people don't like it though, although I wonder if those people actually listened to the albums and aren't basing everything off of "I Just Called To Say I Love You".

Long story short, I love every one of this guy's albums. The depth of his music is astounding. The funky keyboards on "I Love You Too Much", the new-jack style of "Cold Chill", the hip-hop flavor of "Gotta Have You"... Stevie is a genius.

Two more weeks and I get to see him twice in three days!

The songs from albums you are listing as from his 'classic period' are the ones that most often make me stop what I am doing in awe to check out what they are from although I don't think I have heard a single song by him so far that I dislike. What he was doing at 12 was incredible. Now that I have been listening to Stevie I can hear that a lot of Michael's music is/was very similar. I would not want to have to decide which is the greater genius.

Back