Stevie Wonder~merged~

Re: Stevie Wonder!!!

I read that for about ten years, like so many other artists, he did not have control of his music and had to bow to his corporate masters.
None of the acts had musical control with Motown except maybe Smokey Robinson, that's why most of them left. Marvin Gaye & Stevie fought for control. Albums like "Where I'm Coming From" & Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" wouldn't have come out under the Motown cog system. "What's Going On" was rejected by Berry Gordy because he thought the album was rubbish, but was released later without his knowledge by the promo dept., after Marvin refused to record another album for the label. Marvin even had to fight to have the musicians (The Funk Brothers) names & the lyrics listed on the album. Some of the acts weren't promoted much and had greater success after leaving Motown like The Spinners, Gladys Knight & The Pips, & The Isley Brothers.

The songs from albums you are listing as from his 'classic period' are the ones that most often make me stop what I am doing in awe to check out what they are from although I don't think I have heard a single song by him so far that I dislike. What he was doing at 12 was incredible. Now that I have been listening to Stevie I can hear that a lot of Michael's music is/was very similar. I would not want to have to decide which is the greater genius.

On the early 70s albums, he's playing 98% of the instruments himself. You should also check out the Perfect Angel album by Minnie Riperton and the 1st 2 Syreeta albums.

Does he still play instruments at his concerts? I am thinking he will play piano. Does he play any of the other instruments he knows at his performances these days?

Does he still play instruments at his concerts? I am thinking he will play piano. Does he play any of the other instruments he knows at his performances these days?

YES!

He plays piano and keyboard, harmonica, talkbox (It's awesome: he puts the a tube in his mouth and plays keyboards. The sound from the keyboards goes into his mouth allowing him to sing like a robot... think Roger Troutman).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z1wkJXYRO08

He will play drums from time to time too, though not always.

Last edited:

YES!

He plays piano and keyboard, harmonica, talkbox (It's awesome: he puts the a tube in his mouth and plays keyboards. The sound from the keyboards goes into his mouth allowing him to sing like a robot... think Roger Troutman).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z1wkJXYRO08

He will play drums from time to time too, though not always.

Oh wow. Thanks. I asked someone to go with who thinks Stevie Wonder is okay but wouldn't go if it wasn't for me. Maybe they will like him as much as me by the time we are done with the concert. :D It is obvious to me that he is an awesome natural talent and whenever you see someone like that live it just magnifies it. That is why I am so excited about seeing him.

Is that recent? I'm surprised he's doing My Eyes Don't Cry. I thought that was kinda obscure.

Yeah, that was this past fall in Boston. I saw him in Chicago and he did "My Eyes Don't Cry" and "Girl Blue". "Girl Blue" is from Music of My Mind and I've NEVER seen him do that live, and I've got a lot of live Stevie Concerts on video and CD. He's got a lot of bootlegs floating around that are really good.

Yeah there's one where he's playing with John Lennon & Paul McCartney around 74 or 75. It's not really great. It's kinda bad actually, even they said so. Just a little spur of the moment jam session, not something intended for release. But it has historical value. Maybe Steve's doing like the Stones and performing album tracks, so he's not just singing the same old hits over & over. I remember seeing someone on TV ask Chubby Checker was he tired of singing The Twist, lol.

I've heard that. The bootleg is called "A Toot and a Snore in '74" because Lennon asks Steve if he wants a snort of cocaine, but whoever named it changed it to snore for some reason. :lol:

I love artists who aren't afraid to sing something that not everyone may know or remember, it's a huge treat for the fans who know almost every song in the artist's catalog. Of course he'll do the crowd pleasers like "I Wish", "Sir Duke", "I Just Called To Say I Love You" and the likes, but you never know what he'll pad the rest of his show out with. It might be a cover of someone else, it may be one of his old-school Motown songs, who knows. And he plays for 2 and a half to 3 hours. I reckon he did 40 songs or close to it in Chicago.

I'm gonna see STEVIE september 14th and 15th over here in Rotterdam. Tickets were selling so crazy that Stevie decided to do a show on the 15th also. Two days of STEVAY WONDA wooo.
huntxu3.jpg
My fave artist.

Don't worry Mike is my second fave of all time real real close, ;p

Last edited:

^^ That was awesome! LOL

My favorite Stevie songs aren't really the hits:
Cryin Through The Night
Sylvia
I Love You Too Much
Girl Blue
I Love Everylittle Thing About You
If You Really Love Me

I just got my hands on some snippets of some unreleased songs from the 1973-1975 period that kills ANYTHING that's out right now! LOL

Stevie is performing a new song on his tour, it's called "Keep Fooling Yourself Baby Girl". It's a nice R&B song, not too fast, not too slow, a little jazzy..

He also performed a gospel song that will probably be on his new album, it's most likely called "Truth Is The Light" or "Truth Is The Love"... it too is really cool.

He also confirmed that he is working on two projects, and one of them is the album "The Gospel Inspired By Lula". This is straight from Stevie's mouth. I can't wait to hear his new music. His voice was ridiculously great.

I heard he was recording a whole album with Tony Bennett.

Truth is the light is the song he did for Samy Davis Jr. The same show Michael did "You Were There". That's an excellent song love to hear that with real live instrumentation.

Truth is the light is the song he did for Samy Davis Jr. The same show Michael did "You Were There". That's an excellent song love to hear that with real live instrumentation.
Stevie always performs live with a band. He doesn't sing to DAT tapes or lipsync. On some of his albums (especially most of the 1980s ones) there's programming, though.

I know :) I didn''t mean it in a bad way. I have all of Stevie''s songs released and rarities. Just that particular song love to hear the studio album version. It''s a great song and I always wished it was released for Jungle Fever or Conversation Peace.

Just found out the name of the other project is "Through The Eyes Of Wonder". He's working on that and "The Gospel Inspired By Lula" simultaneously. "The Gospel".. will likely be a gospel/world album with a variety of songs touching on the problems of the world, while "Through The Eyes Of Wonder" will probably be classic Stevie with funk, soul and everything in between.

This is in the Motown thread, but since Stevie's on it... This song was for Berry Gordy, Sr, who people at Motown called "Pops". No relation to Pops Staples or Pops Racer. :p

Pops, We Love You with Smokey, Diana, & Marvin

He's one of few artists who will make me break down and cry when they pass. I spent most of my downtime with his music. He's a musical magician cuz he knows how to mix joy, pain, humor, rage, tears, laughter into his musical soup. I firmly believe he's acquired the ability from his lonely childhood (due to his blindness), way before he became a superstar, not only he's just got it from his natural talent.

Did anyone else see Stevie in Stockholm??
He was amazing, his voice was great, and the band was great.
Superstition, Sir Duke, I just called too say I love you, happy birthday, as, Masterblaster.... he did all the classics about 2 1I2 h long concert.

Tuesday night and I will be in his company at the O2 in London...cant wait....saw him live on Johnathon Ross a week or so ago, he was sounding fab.His band was amazing too.

Does anyone have the setlist for one of Stevie's recent concerts?

Los Angeles:

As If You Read My Mind
Master Blaster (Jammin’)
Did I Hear You Say You Love Me
All I Do
Rocket Love
Knocks Me Off My Feet
Jam - Ups & Downs
Higher Ground
Spain (band solos)
Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing
If It’s Magic (Beautiful, basically just Stevie and harp player)
Living for the City
Golden Lady
Keep Fooling Yourself Baby Girl (new song)
I’m Gonna Laugh You Right Out of My Life (sung by Aisha Morris)
Isn't She Lovely (Aisha & Stevie)
Ribbon in the Sky (Mumtaz & Stevie)
Overjoyed
My Cherie Amour
Signed, Sealed, Delivered
Sir Duke
I Wish
You Are the Sunshine of My Life (Stevie & KJLH contest winner)
I Just Called to Say I Love You
Do I Do (abbreviated)
Superstition​

Netherlands:

All Blues (orig. Miles Davis)
As If You Read My Mind
Master Blaster (Jammin')
Did I Hear You Say You Love Me
All I Do
Knocks Me Off My Feet
People Make The World Go Round (on vocoder)
Higher Ground
Concierto de Aranjuez (Rodrigo) / Chick Corea (Spain) introduction band members
Don’t You Worry About A Thing
Visions
Living For The City
Golden Lady
Ribbon In The Sky
Overjoyed
Lately
I'm Gonna Laugh You Out Of My Life (Aisha Morris)
Signed Sealed Delivered
Sir Duke
I Wish
Isn’t She Lovely
Do I Do
My Cherie Amour
You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
I Just Called To Say I Love You
Superstition / So What The Fuss
As​

Back