Stop supporting Sony Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I respect your viewpoint, and that the children are secure financially at this time, I do believe that can and might change as years go by without the Sony aspect of things. The law suits keep pouring in, the past debts still remain, the upkeep of the family is ongoing, the issue with Mottola is pretty much a non-issue at this time. Until MJ's estate is completely clear of any involvement with Sony, Michael/Sony is an entity of vast value that will provide a guaranteed income for years to come or until the children have a means of income of their own, the "estate" being the primary income at this time.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but in this instance, denying income to Sony with Michael's stake in it, just isnt't making financial sense to me. By me not buying something put out by Sony isn't going to change the fact that his 50% (or whatever it is) ownership isn't going into his estate's pocket until invested otherwise. It just means that less will be going into his estate. Not sure I want to judge that it is not going to affect his children's life 10-20 years down the road from a deserved financial standpoint, especially considering the leeches and malcontents that will milking this for quite awhile to come.

You ask " Maybe I´m missing something here" I will answer you. In my opinion you are missing the whole point!

How many albums must the estate give sony so that MJ is free and the estate can negotiate with other record companies??

I understand your viewpoint. I await the children's coming-of-age, and THEIR viewpoints. There is much more to life than money, and the movie, the DVD, the touring memorabilia, and so much else, will provide for them extremely well. An excess of money is its own burden, in a way.

Yeah, you might be missing something here. Justice for Michael? Their FATHER? There is much more to life than money, and we will have to agree to disagree here. Michael never reconciled with Sony. His LAST original album, they failed to promote. Time will tell. . .I await the maturity of the CHILDREN. . . . to make it right. Michael raised them wth values and integrity, and I will trust them, in the future. (My own child is in college and works in a kitchen, to help support herself. This is a GOOD thing, in terms of life-experience. . ..)

Carry on, and now, I'm really outta here. I expected as much, so. . yeah. At least I said what I had to say.

Vic
Respect you viewpoint, Vic. But will have to agree to disagree, bottom line. Those kids won't be working in jobs like our children have, but if they do, heaven help them. Not that I think it wouldn't help them evolve as people, but because of the intense scrutiny and intrusion by the world for decades to come. Somehow I don't foresee them ever being able to have a job and not have absolute immense scrutiny of them, unlike our children. Caroline Kennedy's kids have pretty much escaped that, and hopefully Michael's children may as well, but I doubt it, seriously, unless interest in Michael seriously declines through the years.

Ultimately, if people feel that an association with Sony is disrespectful to Michael (which I have at multiple times in the past felt as well), then it is what it is, I respect others opinions, but not always agree with them at this point in the whole "scenario".

This may not be a popular opinion, but I fully support this, because of Michael's own words, well-known, about Sony. That never changed, to my knowledge.

Do what you want. But, I will NOT buy anything from Sony, out of respect for Michael.

carry on,

Vic

Michael owned half of Sony/ATV. Hurt Sony, hurt Michael's estate which includes future income not only for his children but for the charities that Michael included in his will. Tommy Mattola was fired. Michael was able to extricate himself from his unfair Sony contract. What he really wanted was fairness for all artists. I don't understand how illegally downloading music helps artists. That may punish Sony but it also punishes all of the artists that he was so concerned about. If you want to protest by not buying music from Sony, that is one thing, but illegal downloads hurt the artists as well. You are throwing the baby out with the bath water here. Michael wouldn't support that.

Michael owned half of Sony/ATV. Hurt Sony, hurt Michael's estate which includes future income not only for his children but for the charities that Michael included in his will. Tommy Mattola was fired. Michael was able to extricate himself from his unfair Sony contract. What he really wanted was fairness for all artists. I don't understand how illegally downloading music helps artists. That may punish Sony but it also punishes all of the artists that he was so concerned about. If you want to protest by not buying music from Sony, that is one thing, but illegal downloads hurt the artists as well. You are throwing the baby out with the bath water here. Michael wouldn't support that.

SO what is your solution ???

this is all silly, i will be purchasing any new mj album because i want to see him outsell everyone else as he always has

this is all silly, i will be purchasing any new mj album because i want to see him outsell everyone else as he always has

LOL you talk about silly...........

outsell everyone else as he always has??? I don´t want to spoil your party but Michaels wasn´t always outselling everyone else.
They a look at the album charts history -Thriller is No1. but than other artists follow on 2, 3, 4,5 etc.

And outselling lol is not important at all. The quality of the music is always the most important factor.
Miles Davis albums are pieces of art but he isn´t outselling anyone.....

Last edited:

"Michael was able to extricate himself from his unfair Sony contract"?. I had read something like that. Does that mean that he wasn't under contract with Sony then?.

Also, I'm not sure, but isn't Sony/ATV is a company separate from Sony?. I don't understand that about Michael owing part of Sony. Wasn't it that MIchael bought ATV, and then Sony bought half of it?.

SO what is your solution ???

I am not sure what the solution to unfair recording contracts is. When artists are intitially signed they are so often misled into signing unfair contracts because they are overwhelmed with the whole proces.. When Michael became involved, people listened and i think because of his activism, some things have changed.
Honestly Arty, I don't know what the soution is. I just know that even though the majority of artists don't get a lot from the sale of each unit , they count on that income. Sometimes I think people use the greed of the music companies as an excuse to illegally download music. And music companies are heavily populated with greedy bastards. There must be some solution that does't hurt artists. If only Michael were still here, we could ask him.

Absolutely my last word here. There is MORE to life than money. There is integrity. Honor. Preservation of a legacy. Respect. More. . . I expect great things of Michael's children. . Profits are NOT the bottom-line. . . . .

Why don't we get the truth before we form opinions. Yes there is more to life than money, but if you don't have money you will live on Venice Beach..lol!
I do not like sony or AEG one bit. But???

Oops? I guess it's not my last word? LOL

Michael was still under contract with Sony, until the day he died. He was never able to extricate himself, and if anyone knows something else, then provide the proof and the links? He never did another original album. Sony HURT him. Vince was not supported, and he never tried again. If he did, WHERE is the new album? He had the music, but withheld it. He was STiLL under contract. His last official word on the subject, was his protest against Sony. He never retracted that.

Whatever, but provide the proof for opinions? I do not understand why some people are supporting a corporation, instead of Michael?

I await the actions of his children, when they come of age. .

I understand your viewpoint. I await the children's coming-of-age, and THEIR viewpoints. There is much more to life than money, and the movie, the DVD, the touring memorabilia, and so much else, will provide for them extremely well. An excess of money is its own burden, in a way.

Yeah, you might be missing something here. Justice for Michael? Their FATHER? There is much more to life than money, and we will have to agree to disagree here. Michael never reconciled with Sony. His LAST original album, they failed to promote. Time will tell. . .I await the maturity of the CHILDREN. . . . to make it right. Michael raised them wth values and integrity, and I will trust them, in the future. (My own child is in college and works in a kitchen, to help support herself. This is a GOOD thing, in terms of life-experience. . ..)

Carry on, and now, I'm really outta here. I expected as much, so. . yeah. At least I said what I had to say.

Vic

I highly doubt illegal download of MJ's music will bring justice to MJ or his kids. But that is just my opinion.

Originally Posted by callmerose

their arguments (not even sure whatever they are claiming to defend is an argument) do not make sense. Nonsensical.

I dont care if its Sony who distribute MJ music. Ill buy it to encourage MJ music, not to encourage Sony. Ill do it for Michael.

DOWNLOAD everything everything everything

Interesting. You're publicly calling for BREAKING THE LAW.

This thread is full of nonsense and it shows that fans become too emotional and do not understand that a RECORD COMPANY is not founded to support a specific star, it is just founded to make money, that's a fact. Seems like many of you have forgotten that.

If you don't agree with that, then don't buy it, but you cannot call users here for BREAKING THE LAW!!!

@ MJJC admins/mods: It's not a good idea to let a thread that's calling for BREAKING THE LAW (publicly asking people to illegally download everything) stay open. ;)

Interesting. You're publicly calling for BREAKING THE LAW.

This thread is full of nonsense and it shows that fans become too emotional and do not understand that a RECORD COMPANY is not founded to support a specific star, it is just founded to make money, that's a fact. Seems like many of you have forgotten that.

If you don't agree with that, then don't buy it, but you cannot call users here for BREAKING THE LAW!!!

@ MJJC admins/mods: It's not a good idea to let a thread that's calling for BREAKING THE LAW (publicly asking people to illegally download everything) stay open. ;)

Yeah, because when the RIAA sues one of us for 1 million dollars, are any of you going to bail the other out out?

:bugeyed

5664.jpg

Oops? I guess it's not my last word? LOL

Michael was still under contract with Sony, until the day he died. He was never able to extricate himself, and if anyone knows something else, then provide the proof and the links? He never did another original album. Sony HURT him. Vince was not supported, and he never tried again. If he did, WHERE is the new album? He had the music, but withheld it. He was STiLL under contract. His last official word on the subject, was his protest against Sony. He never retracted that.

Whatever, but provide the proof for opinions? I do not understand why some people are supporting a corporation, instead of Michael?

I await the actions of his children, when they come of age. .

Ok, i shouldn't have used the word extricate and I don't want to elaborate on that situation. So, I will retract that. statement. You have a lot of last words...
I would never support a corporation instead of Michael; you have no idea. All I am saying is that you need to realize when you boycott music companies and download music illegally you are stealing from the very people Michael was concerned about. The artists and the song writers. If you don't mind doing that, fine, do it.

But at the end of it all - Sony is still co-owned by MJ.

60% of all music in the United States is co-owned by MJ.

So by hurting Sony by not buying MJ's music, it's like hurting MJ - in my opinion.

MJ was protesting Tommy Mottola's mafia like hold - because Tommy wanted to play hardball with MJ, and MJ refused to bow down to Tommy.

So Tommy got mad, MJ protested, then Tommy got fired.

I don't necessarily see Sony as the enemy, I definitely see Tommy Mottola as MJs enemy. And he's the one we should all focus our rage towards.

After Tommy was asked to resign - MJ was dealing with a lot of personal issues (as we already know), so to put out a complete album was impossible in the mid 2000s.

And then the AEG thing happenend.

Sometimes I wish MJ would've signed with Live Nation instead.

And BTW, I heard a rumor that a new MJ album will be released sometime in 2010 with NEW songs.

Anyway - it's up to you & your conscience. I already made my decision to support anything & everything MJs estate puts out.

oh hell why don't you just go all out and boycott the entire Sony Music label? :smilerolleyes:

It will mean stealing from all your favourite artists under these sub labels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Music_Entertainment_labels

Columbia Records
* Ruffhouse Records
Epic Records
* Daylight Records
Legacy Recordings
Burgundy Records
* RCA Music Group
* RCA Records
* Bluebird Records
* Arista Records
* J Records
** Full Surface Records
** US Records
** Polo Grounds Music
Zomba Label Group
* Battery Records
* LaFace Records
* Jive Records
* Silvertone Records
* Verity Records
* GospoCentric Records
* Volcano Records
Provident Music Group
* Provident Label Group
** Brentwood Records
** Benson Records
** Essential Records
** Flicker Records
** Beach Street Records
** Reunion Records
** Praise Hymn Music Group
** Provident Special Markets
Provident-Integrity Distribution
RED Distribution
* Red Ink Records (Netherlands)
Sony Nashville
* Arista Nashville
* BNA Records
* RCA Nashville
* Columbia Nashville
* Open Wide
Sony Masterworks
* Playbill Records
* Masterworks Broadway Records
* RCA Victor Red Seal Records
* Sony Classical
* Sony Broadway
* Odyssey Records
* Arte Nova Classics
* Deutsche Harmonia Mundi
Sony Music International Companies
* Sony Music UK
** Columbia Records UK
** RCA Label Group
** Sony CMG
** Syco Music
** Phonogenic Records
* Sony Music Japan
* Sony Music Thailand
** Bakery Music
* Sony Music Germany
** GUN Records
** X-Cell Records

Read those lists of recording artists on the label pages and face it, a few people boycotting Sony will not damage their company or their income in any significant way. You will however be hurting the artists. If their sales decline, the record company will simply drop them from the label and the artist/group is left to pick up the scraps of their career.
If you got your way and everyone downloaded the TII soundtrack illegally instead of buying it legitimately, then you can forget about continuing Michael's legacy cause that's not what you will be doing. The album will flop, the media will have a field day with it and it'll be Invincible pt 2 all over again. People will say he's washed up and no one cares about his music anymore. If that's what you want so be it. But since this is a Michael Jackson fan board, I think it's safe to assume you are outnumbered and in the minority. From what I can see, most people here want to see Michael at #1 where he belongs.
So if you want to justify breaking the law as Korgnex said, because you don't like that there are a lot of compilations of MJ's music (like there are for all major recording artists, living or not) go ahead, but why try to drag other people down to piracy? Not cool.

Ok, i shouldn't have used the word extricate and I don't want to elaborate on that situation. So, I will retract that. statement. You have a lot of last words...
I would never support a corporation instead of Michael; you have no idea. All I am saying is that you need to realize when you boycott music companies and download music illegally you are stealing from the very people Michael was concerned about. The artists and the song writers. If you don't mind doing that, fine, do it.

Sorry about a lot of last words. My bad?

I do not advocate the illegal downloading of music, at ALL. I want justice for Michael, and I am willing to do whatever it takes. Michael's opinion of Sony was very clear, and he never retracted that. Do what you will, everyone.

Thank you, for posting that pic. He never retracted that "statement." Are there any possible questions, after that?

Other artists would survive any small set-back, and be better paid for it. Never doubt the power in numbers, or your own capacity to make a difference. This kind of statement is how CHANGE happens. I despair, sometimes, about the powerlessness I sense. . in people. Michael was trying to SAY something here. Our allegiance does NOT lie with Sony. . . does it?

Why calling that person a drama queen?
Because he or she is telling the truth

I think the estate is more than 10 million dollars and this is just a guess I think it's way more but what I don't know I'm not talking .

The 2nd richest man in the world, Warren Buffet , is also just leaving a small part of all his money to his children and 90 procent goes to charity .

I think Michael would've wanted the same way : enough to enjoy but not enough to make a living of it .

Warren Buffet is a multi-billionaire and Michael will be a multimillionaire-billionaire. Michael estate needs to grow for future situation not just the here and now. There is a difference between being rich and being wealthy.

I dont care if its Sony who distribute MJ music. Ill buy it to encourage MJ music, not to encourage Sony. Ill do it for Michael.

And that's what Sony want. And that's what will make them do this over and over again. By buying everything they release, all these greatest hits albums we've seen released so many times before, you're saying to Sony that it's okay to treat us like this, that MJ fans will buy anything if it has MJ's name on it. If someone wants to be treated that way, then it's their own choice. But I'm not going to be treated that way.

And justifying the album by saying that it will help MJ's kids... I just don't get it. What if Sony hadn't released the album? Would you have sent 10 dollars or whatever to them anyway just to make sure that they are financially secure? I doubt it.

Calotte12, you don't realise that Michael has nothing to do with this CD... You can't "do it" (buy it) for him, because there is no point... He is not with us anymore...

wow another thread to boycott TII cd?:rolleyes2: I swear this is getting f**king pathetic
Edit: oh wait wasn't the thread starter the one that called Mike talentless?

Last edited:
Is this "boycott of sony" only meant to be MJ stuff or anything released by Sony? any artist on a Sony contract? if your not going to buy anything Sony related then that will seriously harm all Sony artist. If people will buy other artist released by Sony but not MJ's that abit hypercrytical . IMO

wow another thread to boycott TII cd?:rolleyes2: I swear this is getting f**king pathetic
Edit: oh wait wasn't the thread starter the one that called Mike talentless?

Yes go on and twist my words to get people against me

I just agreed with Quincy Jones on his statement ABOUT MUSIC.

that's not calling Michael talentless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back