The Soul thread

o_o wow LOL was wondering what she did for the past 40 odd years.

luckily her debut album and keys compensates for all
f_smiley.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=76QxE7dumu0

but what ever happened to that Blondie?
f_laugh.gif

"Funk You Up" was played a lot when I was a kid. I guess it came out around 1980. This was before rap became mainstream (although at the time I didn't know anything about mainstream or hits, lol). Erykah Badu remade this and she got Angie to participate on her version. I don't know what happened to the other members of The Sequence.

I'm not sure what you're implying there, and don't really want to know, lol! O'Bryan wasn't with SOLAR records, but Capitol. He has a myspace page
http://www.myspace.com/obryanmedia
i know where he was signed but Don cornelious controlled his early career back when giggolo,I'm freaky all the way up to "Lovelite. He was Don's pet Project.

i have the old albums and whatnot. Don got credit as a co writer and Producer.

i've recently been digging up on, studying and listening to a lot of Leon Ware's work. real sensual bloke.

here's a 2-hour interview he did with the Red Bull Music Academy where he talks about everything from Motown to his own freeky ways. the man has a lot to say lol

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/uploads/tx_rbmapodcasts/PC05-Leon_Ware_01.mp3

of the many things i found interesting, he goes on about the real meaning of Minnie's Inside My Love
» When I wrote this song, Inside My Love for Minnie Riperton she asked me: "Do you have anything that we could say that kind of takes it a little further?" And I had an idea. Interestingly enough, when the song was released and headed up the charts, I heard a DJs description of the song and I stopped the car, pulled it aside and I actually called him something that I won’t use in this room. But it was really disappointing, but actually after I cursed him I smiled because it was a 100% feeling that, when we finished the song, the sentiment of the song is: "Won’t you come inside me, will you come inside me, will you take a ride inside my love?" However, listening to it most people took it as what it was. "Won’t you come inside me," meaning the ejaculation or the orgasm that we do when we get to have that moment. However what I meant, it came from me being a little boy in church hearing the preacher say: "Won’t you come, won’t you come inside the lord.“ ( whispers) And I took that with me all my life and in effect that particular phrase as in "Can I Save The People" was so compelling that, when I thought that it was coming up at the end of the ceremony, I left the room. I didn’t want to hear it because it made you want to come. However, the meaning being an entendre, which I do constantly. I love that: having two meanings on one or several meanings and letting the individual listening adapt to that meaning that means something to them. Which is a very strong – I think one of the strongest things you can do as a writer is to give your listener or the people that are working with you the option to take their particular view of what you are saying in your message.«

and on the current business and rap music:
» I don’t want to play out the artistic excellence of anybody before I really assisted - I guess a lot of people who hear rap hear the roughness and the animal thing. And to me at first it was so demeaning first to the ladies, second to assist your intellect, third it was not happy music to me or happy art. However, over the years they have adapted and you got some people like Common and different people that have some views stressing some ideas and I think that’s going to be the development of that part where... in every art you will have I call them your hackers: people that write you ten songs a day, you know, but none of them are wily. But some of these hackers, this is the interesting thing about what we do, make a point about your charts. Any charts you read do not put any emphasis on it because it is only a reflection of the modeled money of the people that put your record out and were able to put into that record to see itself. Unfortunately. I’m speaking of now, I’m not speaking of the time when I came into the business. Unfortunately, there is a parameter there that does work but for the most part, this time set deals with not so much your excellence, but how excellent your connects are and how good you are as a business person.«

the man's a unique being.

i've recently been digging up on, studying and listening to a lot of Leon Ware's work. real sensual bloke.

here's a 2-hour interview he did with the Red Bull Music Academy where he talks about everything from Motown to his own freeky ways. the man has a lot to say lol

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/uploads/tx_rbmapodcasts/PC05-Leon_Ware_01.mp3

of the many things i found interesting, he goes on about the real meaning of Minnie's Inside My Love
» When I wrote this song, Inside My Love for Minnie Riperton she asked me: "Do you have anything that we could say that kind of takes it a little further?" And I had an idea. Interestingly enough, when the song was released and headed up the charts, I heard a DJs description of the song and I stopped the car, pulled it aside and I actually called him something that I won’t use in this room. But it was really disappointing, but actually after I cursed him I smiled because it was a 100% feeling that, when we finished the song, the sentiment of the song is: "Won’t you come inside me, will you come inside me, will you take a ride inside my love?" However, listening to it most people took it as what it was. "Won’t you come inside me," meaning the ejaculation or the orgasm that we do when we get to have that moment. However what I meant, it came from me being a little boy in church hearing the preacher say: "Won’t you come, won’t you come inside the lord.“ ( whispers) And I took that with me all my life and in effect that particular phrase as in "Can I Save The People" was so compelling that, when I thought that it was coming up at the end of the ceremony, I left the room. I didn’t want to hear it because it made you want to come. However, the meaning being an entendre, which I do constantly. I love that: having two meanings on one or several meanings and letting the individual listening adapt to that meaning that means something to them. Which is a very strong – I think one of the strongest things you can do as a writer is to give your listener or the people that are working with you the option to take their particular view of what you are saying in your message.«

and on the current business and rap music:
» I don’t want to play out the artistic excellence of anybody before I really assisted - I guess a lot of people who hear rap hear the roughness and the animal thing. And to me at first it was so demeaning first to the ladies, second to assist your intellect, third it was not happy music to me or happy art. However, over the years they have adapted and you got some people like Common and different people that have some views stressing some ideas and I think that’s going to be the development of that part where... in every art you will have I call them your hackers: people that write you ten songs a day, you know, but none of them are wily. But some of these hackers, this is the interesting thing about what we do, make a point about your charts. Any charts you read do not put any emphasis on it because it is only a reflection of the modeled money of the people that put your record out and were able to put into that record to see itself. Unfortunately. I’m speaking of now, I’m not speaking of the time when I came into the business. Unfortunately, there is a parameter there that does work but for the most part, this time set deals with not so much your excellence, but how excellent your connects are and how good you are as a business person.«

the man's a unique being.
Leon ware is one of the greatest Songwriter's ever. very underrated. good find and I did read about his current vibe as he was reflecting on the "I want you" album.

Soul Generation ~ Body and Soul

Kool & The Gang ~ Too Hot

The Whispers ~ Keep On Lovin' Me

Last edited:
^ i heard this a couple months back, it's an alright club tune but the whole spaced-out futuristic synth fad is getting tired now.

----------

here's a UK "trip-hop" artist (no such thing, but whatever) Lee Jones with his band Hefner and singer Josee Hurlock on a typical Brit mellow/downtempo soulful track from 2000.

Hefner - Level Green

dove.gif

madly gifted Soul/Jazz/Bossa/World Hip-Hop producer Madlib's take on Stevie Wonder in an instrumental tribute album through his collab project, Yesterdays New Quintet, with various dummers and other musicians.

Yesterdays New Quintet - Too High

stream2.asp

icon_wm.gif
icon_real.gif
Song Title1.Prelude2.Superstition3.Visions4.Superwoman / Where Were You Last Winter5.Rocket Love Pt. 16.You've Got It Bad Girl7.Send One Your Love8.Too High9.I Am Singing10.Golden Lady11.That Girl

Here are 3 classics from The Voices of East Harlem

Giving Love

Take A Stand

Cashing In

Tower Of Power ~ There Is Only So Much Oil In The Ground

Greg Diamond Bionic Boogie ~ Hot Butterfly

amoz2p.jpg

The Soulquarians - A Song For Assata (Instrumental)

one of Common's deepest and moving tunes with James Poyser on keys/bass, Larry Gold string arrangement, ?uestlove on drums, Jay Dee programming, and Jeff Lee Johnson on guitar.

//////////

and from the same soul-string maestro:

23iuv54.jpg

Larry Gold feat. Floetry - And I Hope

Larry Gold feat. Carol Riddick - Loving You

Holy crap, tha 100 Yard Dash is amazing. That is going to be a hell of an album.

John Legend performed his new single at the Democratic National Convention last night. It's called "If You're Out There".

Eddie Holman - Hey There Lonely Girl (Live). They just don't make them like this anymore.

Holy crap, thanks for posting that. That is not only my favorite D'Angelo song, but one of my favorite songs period.

Just realized that was twice on this page I've used the phrase "Holy crap", but they were both deserving of it :D

haha and i just realised we already discussed I Found My Smile Again in this very thread and i actually said "D should consider rerecording it and updating it"... a live version qualifies as an update in my books
f_whistle.gif
f_smiley.gif
thank you D'.

Amy Winehouse - Love Is A Losing Game (Fender Rhodes Acoustic Mix)

some talented cat put a nice Rhodes track over the acapella of Amy doing her thing.

one of my favourite songs.

Back