The Soul thread

Ambrosius is a bonafide genius. and they had one of the best live bands around, who also worked with Jill Scott and India.Arie. the keyboardist..
Unworthy.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Floacism-Bonus-DVD-Floetry/dp/B0000TAZRO

She blew me away at Smokey Robinson's BET Walk of Fame Ceremony. She did "Who's Loving You" (the MJ-style version) and Ebony Eyes with the late Gerald LeVert. She was amazing on both accounts.

Donny Hathaway ~ This Christmas

The O'Jays ~ Christmas Ain't Christmas

Deniece Williams ~ Do You Hear What I Hear

Lara Saint Paul - Saffo Music [1977]

two picks from an obscure 1977 Leon Ware penned & produced album for an Italian diva who goes by the name of Lara Saint Paul (who's also worked with Quincy J):

hx2681.png

You Know That I Love You

So Good

The Pointer Sisters also doing backgrounds on that album.

Chris Jasper - Time Bomb [1989]

this i'd like to believe influenced Mike's The Way You Love Me because Brad Buxer uses exactly the same phased Rhodes effect and chord-stabbing sequence for the keys in MJ's song.

ajm450.jpg

Chris Jasper - Margie [1989]

This is gospel, but gospel IS soul in my book.

Stevie Wonder - Falling In Love With Jesus
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lXSicAvB_c0
I was about post the same thing as the bolded part. I dig gospel artists' singing and of course, the soulfulness so much even though I don't go to church no more. I learned black music in the US had started in church. So, here my pick goes:

The Clark Sisters-Endow Me
http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=wkkTWq8XevM&feature=related

arXter said:
Bilal's You Are (1-dimensional talent, but he's a great singer)
What you mean by that? Just out of curiosity. Yeah Sometimes is a great tune. It helped me out get through some tough times.

What you mean by that? Just out of curiosity.
twas a bit harsh, but i mean in contrast to his contemporaries like Dwele, D'Angelo, Saadiq etc. he relied heavily on other people to craft sounds for him, and writing-wise wasn't as prolific though his 2006 unreleased album showcased more of his talent, but it wasn't as good as 1st Born Second imo.

Yeah Sometimes is a great tune. It helped me out get through some tough times.
you and me both. i sobbed my eyes out to some of these tunes before, and i ain't ashamed to say it, lol. and i don't usually take much notice of the lyrics in a song, but this track's one of the exceptions.

the sun in your hands
move at your own pace
listen to your own mind
do your own thing
saying it because i love u
& i wanna grow with u
but u wanna run in the other direction
so i got to stay on my path until i win

I love Ledisi. We're past the Holiday season, but leave it to her to keep me listening to a song that's been covered a trillion times:

Ledisi - What A Wonderful World:

twas a bit harsh, but i mean in contrast to his contemporaries like Dwele, D'Angelo, Saadiq etc. he relied heavily on other people to craft sounds for him, and writing-wise wasn't as prolific though his 2006 unreleased album showcased more of his talent, but it wasn't as good as 1st Born Second imo.

you and me both. i sobbed my eyes out to some of these tunes before, and i ain't ashamed to say it, lol. and i don't usually take much notice of the lyrics in a song, but this track's one of the exceptions.

the sun in your hands
move at your own pace
listen to your own mind
do your own thing
saying it because i love u
& i wanna grow with u
but u wanna run in the other direction
so i got to stay on my path until i win

I see. Not a big fan, but even if I was, I wouldn't evey try to have a lengthy discussion and go on to have an argument:D

Hey mate! Yeah you don't have to feel ashamed to say that, either you're a male or female. I didn't cry, but felt as if he was getting things off his chest bigtime and I was feeling it. I, too, dug the lyrics during those trying times.

In my case, from the very first few lines, it struck me as a reflection of myself:

This is a song that makes me spill out all my guts
Wish I wasn't me sometimes~~

yep, strong track. and i am a big fan of Bilal, btw. i wasn't trying to diss him lol

anyway here's something i picked up at a charity shop shortly before Christmas. up in the north of England in the 70s and 80s the popularity of soul music was in full bloom ("Northern soul") and so now we get folk from that generation donating their old soul records to various shops (not cheaply sold though, so gotta stick to my budget..).

and so this is from an artist i've never heard of before, and apparently that was her only album:

Karin Jones - You Know Me, I Know You [1982]

an unreleased collab between original Jamiroquai bassist Stuart Zender and D'Angelo:

okx7k7.jpg

Love Is So Cold [2001]

an unreleased collab between original Jamiroquai bassist Stuart Zender and D'Angelo:

Love Is So Cold [2001]

nice track and quite.. surprising collab, i thought Zender was more into rock.

Back