World Music Awards 2008 *UPDATE: Michael Jackson did not win; Kid Rock got the WBPMA *

Re: World Music Awards 2008 (Michael Jackson nomined to World Best Pop Male Artist)

I hope he wins.I really feel bad if he doesnt win this award and they give that to a new artist.:angel:we have 15 hours so Paray for MJ to win this award .

Re: World Music Awards 2008 (Michael Jackson nomined to World Best Pop Male Artist)

Thanx for the news Horakhty and TSCM! Not only in terms of sales but also the impact, there's no comparison. It would sound awkward if someone else wins that category. Come on! They had a great year with the sales and stuff, but do y'all think esp. the name Kid Rock goes well with World Music Awards? What a wonderful world, we'll be able to watch the show on youtube:) hours later it was on at the latest.

If he wins, at least, we can expect his message!!!

I hope he wins.I really feel bad if he doesnt win this award and they give that to a new artist.:angel:we have 15 hours so Paray for MJ to win this award .

yeah..i agree

Is it going to air on dutch television?

Who will be there? I was there nearly 2 years ago but I dunno whether he will appear after the lousy organised show in 2006..again, well, I hope Monaco is better organised.
Proud to be a Jackson fan.

who decides the winner?

Is it going to air on dutch television?

I know a few years SBS6 broadcasted it at the end of the year between Christmas & new years eve. But I don't know what will happen this year.

Will he be at the award show ? can we get some kind of confirmation?

I hope He wins..
Go0dluck MJ!!!!

World Best Pop Male Artist:
- Kid Rock
- Michael Jackson
- James Blunt
- Enrique Iglesias

Is this supposed to be of all-time? If so, then with the obvious exception, that is an awful list, lol.

... even though I like Kid Rock (shut up), seeing his name next to Michael Jackson is ball grabbingly funny. Let's hope this was compiled to give MJ the easy W.

And if this is just for current pop stars, what has MJ done to merit being on here? Thriller 25?

It's just for sales this year. Michael's "Thirller 25" has sold more then anyone else on that list.

Will he be at the award show ? can we get some kind of confirmation?
no he will not.
but i hope there might be some video message :)

Is this supposed to be of all-time? If so, then with the obvious exception, that is an awful list, lol.

... even though I like Kid Rock (shut up), seeing his name next to Michael Jackson is ball grabbingly funny. Let's hope this was compiled to give MJ the easy W.

And if this is just for current pop stars, what has MJ done to merit being on here? Thriller 25?

WMA are only about the sales and visual impact of the current year.

The nominees are the artists who sold more during the year and that's it.
So MJ is nominated for the very good sales of his back catalog and T25 of this year.

Hi everybody! i'll try to be there in monaco today... but i know that Michael will not be present this year, even if Prince Albert asked Mike to go, he said that he can't be there cause he's busy,,,
also 2002 mike had 3 nominations..

anyway..we all knows mike and never say never.
it's true this year will be the 20th anniversary of wma..i hope to see something about the story of wma or a special message..u knows.

WMAs are sales based only arent they? Im actually very happily surprised that MJ is on this, I had no idea that he was a top seller this year, the media sure as hell arent reporting it but I'm sure MJ is loving how little he has to do to sell records. Its a testament to his staying power. Good luck to him, hope he wins.

I seriously don't get how the others got to be on the same list as Michael... :mello: I mean, come on, Kid Rock? :blink:

I sure hope Michael wins this one....he's 10000000000000000000000000000000000 times better than all of them put together :doh:

Thanks for posting this! :D

How can people not understand the list ? its the list of the hottest male pop artist in 2008, this year. NOT ALL TIME.

It's just for sales this year. Michael's "Thirller 25" has sold more then anyone else on that list.

Ah, right. Thanks.

How can people not understand the list ? its the list of the hottest male pop artist in 2008, this year. NOT ALL TIME.

Probably by not watching WMA much in the past and wondering why MJ would be on here without releasing new music. Duh. I don't live for this stuff, sorry.

Ah, right. Thanks.

Probably by not watching WMA much in the past and wondering why MJ would be on here without releasing new music. Duh. I don't live for this stuff, sorry.

But we all know that Thriller 25 sold more than most of the artist this year so I dont see how this could come as a surprise or something for some people in here? I have only seen the world music award once and that was in 2006.

how you know that ?
i just heard earlier the same "story" what babylove wrote, that he was invited, but said he can not go coz he is busy

i just heard earlier the same "story" what babylove wrote, that he was invited, but said he can not go coz he is busy

Busy ? its just one night ? lol

But we all know that Thriller 25 sold more than most of the artist this year so I dont see how this could come as a surprise or something for some people in here? I have only seen the world music award once and that was in 2006.

Because most music award shows are geared towards current music or lifetime achievement over purely sales, and thus Michael Jackson would not be in the running for "best male pop star" on other award shows unless it was for all-time. So therefore I wasn't clear on the reason, being that I'm not big into these things in the first place. Get over it. You are not special.

Last edited:

Busy ? its just one night ? lol
well usually if he attends such ceremonies in Europe i think his lasts at least 1 week long...he needs to come here from the USA...and if he crosses the ocean and stuff probably he does not wants to stay only 1 night. well thats only my opinion..i dunno how Michael sees this...ask him :lol:

It'd be very awkward if MJ were to win, and there not be a Video Message sent by him to the Awards Show. I couldn't imagine that happening.

I should be noted that sales are measured in two different ways -- retail and wholesale. For sales like 2.3 million at retail wholesale may reach about 2.8 million copies.

Michael Jackson: Thriller 25 (2,238,500 Worldwide Sales) - #12
Kid Rock: Rock'n'Roll Jesus (2,153,000 Worldwide Sales) - #13
James Blunt: All the Lost Souls (1,047,000 Worldwide Sales) - #37
Enrique Iglesias: 95/08 Exitos (~800,000 Worldwide Sales) - Not in to 50
if thats offical figures for the last year then mj will win the award. has no male artist sold more than thriiler over the last 12 months? even with the state of the industry wasnt there some half decent name who put an album out that sold a reasonable amount?

i would think michael WOULD atleast send a video message if he won... i cant imagin him not :S But who knows he might be MEGA BUSY!! lol :p

These awared are a joke. It good MJ is nominated... but he was awarded with something similar before

Back