YRMW at MSG

Nope.

I have 2 photo albums of photos I took from all the Michael trips. I have never put them online and I never will. I have no problem showing the albums to people in real life but I will never put my photos online. I know other fans who feel the same way , we dont like our photos being stolen and digitally altered and used by other people.
I love this! Yes, keep your memories within your heart. I too, have a few pics of Michael from the times I was able to see him. Small moments but I'll cherish them. Tho, back in those my lil disposable camera and Nokia phone pics are not great at all! However, it's the memories for me. I'm glad you got to see Mike in real life. It's definitely an experience. His energy was so magnetic! And though I'm not trying to take it there, but, that man was absolutely gorgeous in real life! I was on cloud 9 everytime after seeing him. ❤️

I liked the performance but wasn't he under the influence during this time? Most of his energy was during the Jacksons set
wdym under the influence?

i really liked this performance but i can understand why people didnt. he also looked really tired and worn out but i also believe he wasnt lip-syncing, right? its hard to sing and dance at the same time so i can understand why it wasnt so high-energy from him.

i really liked this performance but i can understand why people didnt. he also looked really tired and worn out but i also believe he wasnt lip-syncing, right? its hard to sing and dance at the same time so i can understand why it wasnt so high-energy from him.
He was definitely lip syncing through a lot of the songs. The only ones I can think of which was completely live was dancing machine and I'll be there (to my ears)

Even I want you back sounded like he was lip syncing to new pre-recorded vocals, the fact he almost started too early before fixing his mistake.

Shake you body was partially live but the verses sounded like the original record.

I don't see what's unrealistic about it when you consider all the 20-year-old women who dreamed of marrying him at the time.

I agree! There are/were still 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, etc. year-old women who dream about marrying him in all his eras and the mature era! There's a bunch of fly older men dating and marrying younger women (a lot goes into that, tho. And I'm speaking from personal experience...lol.) But yeah, I see nothing unrealistic about it, either. Older men and younger women and vice versa relationships happen every day. Michael was a handsome and appealing man, so women will always love him in that way. He wasn't an older man on the stage with a cane. The man was throwing down on that stage! 😍

YRMW's performance was a big let down. No live vocals and no choreography is a recipe for disaster, as far as I am concerned.

My favourite part of the 30th anniversary concerts was the Jackson 5 section, as Michael sung live which was rare was him post the Dangerous Era. And I thought his live vocals sounded good, better than they did during the History Tour. The solo section was predictably lip-synced, but I do enjoy the performances of Billie Jean and Beat It. The rest, I could do without.

I loved the YRMW performance! I thought the women flanking and dancing around Michael was cute because it was such a 90s/2000s thing that many hip-hop music artists did—and it was something Michael didn't usually do! Yes, we love Michael because he was different and not average, but I found the simplicity of the performance to be cute and fun! Like, he just wanted to chill and have fun on that performance. Like, when I see Janet on her tours these days, it makes me happy that she's just having fun at times—taking a break from the technical choreography to vibe and have fun. Then, with Chris and Usher coming out, I thought it was just a good way to end the show (IMO, for TV purposes. I can't remember what was the last song for the folks who got to see it live.) 😊

Last edited:
Defo worth it all things considering but yeah those prices seemed nuts. I remember hearing the good seats (which included dinner) cost as much as £3000 each.

I paid £75 for this is it tickets but thought that was very good value in 09.

See at the 30th anniversary show, how long did you need to wait between acts? Is it true that people were getting restless and booing due to all the delays?
Yes the shows had ridiculously long breaks (for a concert) which are much more common in tv productions. By the we are the world finale most of the audience was filing out. That part (and the YRMW performance) felt much more of a dress rehearsal than an actual show. Still glad I was there the first night as Britney Spears and Whitney Houston did not appear in the second.

Yes the shows had ridiculously long breaks (for a concert) which are much more common in tv productions. By the we are the world finale most of the audience was filing out. That part (and the YRMW performance) felt much more of a dress rehearsal than an actual show. Still glad I was there the first night as Britney Spears and Whitney Houston did not appear in the second.
who sang Whitneys verse the second night? I remember they aired "deluxe" version with performances from both nights

Search You Rock My World September 7 on Youtube. That is the night 1 performance. The one with black pants. He was definitely under something during the concert. Frank Cascio talked about it in his book. The night 2 performance was better.

The ad-libs during chorus and the last part of the song were live but it was mostly lip-synced.

He was definitely lip syncing through a lot of the songs. The only ones I can think of which was completely live was dancing machine and I'll be there (to my ears)

Even I want you back sounded like he was lip syncing to new pre-recorded vocals, the fact he almost started too early before fixing his mistake.

Shake you body was partially live but the verses sounded like the original record.
I thought The Jacksons performance was live but many things were over dubbed for the TV version.

Last edited:
YYRMW was sooo cool to experience both nights. You could so tell who were the hardcore fan base, as in who were screaming at the first beats of the song, and knowing the words. It was like a thank you to the fan community, as in Michael saying this ones for you, you know who you are.

Remember this was before streaming services, before YouTube , before social media, so to know the song you had to listen to the specific radio stations that played it or watch MTV or have bought the single on cassette or cd. Also it had only been released 2 weeks before the concerts, so really to most people in MSG it was an unknown song.

I remember talking to people sitting near us on the Monday night. They didnt know about YRMW, had never heard it and were surprised we knew so much about it.

Michael was exactly himself. He just hated performing at this point.
Exactly.

People wanted the superstar from Bad tour, but he was done with that. He was a father and starting to enjoying a different aspect of life. He had the fan communities both online and in real life supporting him.

He was done with performing but like how his life has always been, people expected things of him, so he did the concerts out of obligation to family. There was always this family duty pushed on him, right up to 2009, they never let him be.

His performances were below bar and he was clearly under the influence of some form of substance.

I wouldn't say Michael was the same at all. He was seen as more the freak rather than the showman in the early 2000s sadly.

His appearance wasn't the best either during this period.

His performances were below bar and he was clearly under the influence of some form of substance.

I wouldn't say Michael was the same at all.

Again were you there, or are you just basing opinion on analyzing YouTube videos from 20 years ago through nowaday eyes???

Again were you there, or are you just basing opinion on analyzing YouTube videos from 20 years ago through nowaday eyes???
I wasn't at the MSG concerts but was a fan at the time and remember the period extremely well.

It has been confirmed by Frank Cascio (in his 'My Friend Michael' book) that Michael Jackson was under the influence of drugs at that time.

In his hotel room, the singer was heavily drugged up and unconscious right before the first MSG concert.

They had to make him come to his senses, in order for him to later go to the MSG venue and to perform on stage.
Exactly.

People wanted the superstar from Bad tour, but he was done with that. He was a father and starting to enjoying a different aspect of life. He had the fan communities both online and in real life supporting him.

He was done with performing but like how his life has always been, people expected things of him, so he did the concerts out of obligation to family. There was always this family duty pushed on him, right up to 2009, they never let him be.
American TV personality David Gest provided a different reason as to how these MSG concerts came to fruition.

David Gest stated (in 'The Life Of An Icon' Interview) that one day he woke up (in 2001), and he listened to the radio playing 'The Love You Save' song, which was his favourite Jackson 5 song.

David Gest then thought that it would be a good idea for the Jackson 5 to reunite again on stage.

So, he later called his friend Michael Jackson and he managed to persuade the singer to reunite with his brothers on stage for 2 concerts, which became the MSG concerts.

then we just have to agree to disagree
The fact that I wasn't there should not make much difference, I've seen both the edited versions for tv and also the amateur footage of both nights.

He just seems off the pace and I believe its due to being under the influence. He could barely string a sentence together on the red carpet with Elizabeth Taylor before the shows.

American TV personality David Gest provided a different reason as to how these MSG concerts came to fruition.

David Gest stated (in 'The Life Of An Icon' Interview) that one day he woke up (in 2001), and he listened to the radio playing 'The Love You Save' song, which was his favourite Jackson 5 song.

David Gest then thought that it would be a good idea for the Jackson 5 to reunite again on stage.

So, he later called his friend Michael Jackson and he managed to persuade the singer to reunite with his brothers on stage for 2 concerts, which became the MSG concerts.

Basically the same thing. The brothers and Katherine always wanted Michael back on stage as a family unit and with David Gest, they finally had the big backing to get Michael to do it.

Search You Rock My World September 7 on Youtube. That is the night 1 performance. The one with black pants. He was definitely under something during the concert. Frank Cascio talked about it in his book. The night 2 performance was better.
ohh ok. i have never seen that one. i liked the one with white pants

Even I want you back sounded like he was lip syncing to new pre-recorded vocals
The vocals weren’t pre-recorded, Michael and the brothers re-recorded vocals for their set in a studio after the performances to use for the TV broadcast. If you listen to the audience recordings you can hear the Jackson’s set is fully live and not particularly great vocally hence the re-recordings.

was it the sleeping pills or illegal ones?
To our knowledge MJ never used illegal drugs , always prescription.

No doubt he could obtain cartel levels of illegal drugs though if he had wanted!
It was reported that Michael Jackson generally also used to obtain drugs under different aliases (i.e., pseudonyms).

This practice is actually illegal (for both the client and the doctor) despite the fact that these drugs are prescription drugs.

Doctors who were found using aliases (for their clients) have lost their medical licenses and they faced criminal charges.

Some of the aliases that the singer used to have were Omar Arnold, Frank Tyson, Michael Amir, and even female aliases such as Kai Chase.

Nope.

I have 2 photo albums of photos I took from all the Michael trips. I have never put them online and I never will. I have no problem showing the albums to people in real life but I will never put my photos online. I know other fans who feel the same way , we dont like our photos being stolen and digitally altered and used by other people.
Last thing you need is for your photos to show online and "NEW RARE MJ PHOTO!" hits all the fansites with the pictures being photoshopped to destruction

Last thing you need is for your photos to show online and "NEW RARE MJ PHOTO!" hits all the fansites with the pictures being photoshopped to destruction
Exactly. Once its online , its there forever and everyone thinks they can do what they want with it. Although sometimes I think it could be fun to put a photo online and see how far it gets, I never will though.

Back