YRMW at MSG

Where you there, did you see Michael in person during this time?
This is a ridiculous comment. Why would I need to be there to see the obvious?

Again were you there, or are you just basing opinion on analyzing YouTube videos from 20 years ago through nowaday eyes???
Okay so pretty much everyone on this forum was alive and aware in 2001 and saw these concert as they happened and we also have dozens of concerts to compare the Madison Square Garden concert to and compare his public appearances with. People know Michael Jackson from watching him for literally decades and we know when he seems lucid and inspired and when he's a deadman walking. We don't need someone to ask "BUT WERE YOU THERE????" we dont need to be.

This is a ridiculous comment. Why would I need to be there to see the obvious?

Okay so pretty much everyone on this forum was alive and aware in 2001 and saw these concert as they happened and we also have dozens of concerts to compare the Madison Square Garden concert to and compare his public appearances with. People know Michael Jackson from watching him for literally decades and we know when he seems lucid and inspired and when he's a deadman walking. We don't need someone to ask "BUT WERE YOU THERE????" we dont need to be.
Fantastic response Hurley 👏

No pont in the majority of us discussing any of his iconic moments or performances through the years as we were not there. Our opinions must mean jack shit.

I was also there. After all of the long pauses between performances this was an anti-climax. I was just looking around wondering what the hell was going on. The TV version definitely gives it more energy.

Something happened to MJ fast over the course of just a couple weeks. The rehearsals have been leaking in bits and pieces and his energy is so much higher, he also has his normal long curly hair.

Something happened to MJ fast over the course of just a couple weeks. The rehearsals have been leaking in bits and pieces and his energy is so much higher, he also has his normal long curly hair.
Definitely a wig as he’d shot the YRMW video only a couple of weeks before. Unless the bandana under the hat in the YRMW video was hiding the long hair.

Definitely a wig as he’d shot the YRMW video only a couple of weeks before. Unless the bandana under the hat in the YRMW video was hiding the long hair.
Allegedly MJ had a mental breakdown (I believe the director made some harsh comments on his looks) during the YRMW video shoot and cut off his hair.

Michael was exactly himself. He just hated performing at this point.
I usually agree with everything you say, but I have to disagree on this one. I remember watching the 30th anniversary and being chocked, it was a totally different MJ to whom I've seen back in the days. Even today I find it painful to watch.

I usually agree with everything you say, but I have to disagree on this one. I remember watching the 30th anniversary and being chocked, it was a totally different MJ to whom I've seen back in the days. Even today I find it painful to watch.

But for those of us who were there, who were part of the fan communities it was OUR Michael. Of course he wasnt the same as back in the day, that was a different time , a different promo look.

Its the same argument from those who dropped Michael after BAD era and then got such a shock seeing him in 2009 at The Press Conference.

He wasnt the curly hairy superstar from the fantasy image in their head.

But for those of us who were there, who were part of the fan communities it was OUR Michael. Of course he wasnt the same as back in the day, that was a different time , a different promo look.

Its the same argument from those who dropped Michael after BAD era and then got such a shock seeing him in 2009 at The Press Conference.

I’m glad you had the opportunity to see him perform (even if he wasn’t at his best). I’m thankful though I saw him live and close up when he was at his best (not only bad, but dangerous and history too). And please “our” MJ 🙄 Who’s our? I think for most fans that were longer around and seen him perform before it was a disappointment. At the same time no other artists could have pulled it off if they were in the state he was during the 30th anniversary, so that’a a huge accomplishment in itself.

Last edited:

What are you trying to say here with your comments that it was OUR Michael?

I find your comment completely disrespectful towards all of us here.

The 30th anniversary shows had nothing to do about him having shorter hair or looking different. His performances was not up his usual best because he was off his face on painkillers.

Curly hair, long straight hair, a buzz cut, it would make zero difference.

What are you trying to say here with your comments that it was OUR Michael?

I find your comment completely disrespectful towards all of us here.

The 30th anniversary shows had nothing to do about him having shorter hair or looking different. His performances was not up his usual best because he was off his face on painkillers.

Curly hair, long straight hair, a buzz cut, it would make zero difference.
Maybe what moonst. means by “our” is the invincible era…l’m good with that, because it’s definitely not my era. And yeah, it’s not about the looks (even though he really looked unwell), but about the quality (for his standards) of the performance! The same goes for Whitney, the whole ordeal was just sad to watch to me - seeing those giants fade away. 😔

Last edited:
Maybe what moonst. means by “our” is the invincible era…l’m good with that because it’s definitely not my era. And yeah, it’s not about the looks (even though he really looked unwell), but about the quality (for his standards) of the performance! The same goes for Whitney, the whole ordeal was just sad to watch to me - seeing those giants fade away. 😔
The funny thing is that for me, Invincible was my era as I became a fan in the summer of 2001.

Michael did look ill , his eyes were only half open most of the show!! But yeah, it was the performance that was the issue.

Whitney was painfully thin eh , she looked like a stick and those tiny knees, poor girl.

Well, it wasn't him at his mental or physical best, were in agreement. I'm just saying, he hadn't "lost his touch". He was just in desperate need of some time away from all the public eye. Idk, it takes a lot to get up, as the average joe. Bring the greatest performer is a lot of work, definitely never as easy as Michael made it look.

But that September 7th in particular was very rough for him. At the awards shows, at ABC, anywhere else he didn't seem That bad off.

Exactly.

People wanted the superstar from Bad tour, but he was done with that. He was a father and starting to enjoying a different aspect of life. He had the fan communities both online and in real life supporting him.

He was done with performing but like how his life has always been, people expected things of him, so he did the concerts out of obligation to family. There was always this family duty pushed on him, right up to 2009, they never let him be.
i thought he always loved performing? i didnt know he stopped

Well, it wasn't him at his mental or physical best, were in agreement. I'm just saying, he hadn't "lost his touch". He was just in desperate need of some time away from all the public eye. Idk, it takes a lot to get up, as the average joe. Bring the greatest performer is a lot of work, definitely never as easy as Michael made it look.

But that September 7th in particular was very rough for him. At the awards shows, at ABC, anywhere else he didn't seem That bad off.
yeah, he definitely needed rest and all that pressure must have been the worst horror ever. I know what anxiety means and can’t imagine how someone that the world is constantly judging must have felt. I have the greatest compassion for him. That’s one of the reasons I find it hard to watch.

Do you have a link to the award show? I don’t think I ever seen that.

yeah, he definitely needed rest and all that pressure must have been the worst horror ever. I know what anxiety means and can’t imagine how someone that the world is constantly judging must have felt. I have the greatest compassion for him. That’s one of the reasons I find it hard to watch.

Do you have a link to the award show? I don’t think I ever seen that.

I was thinking of this one.

He looks so much better in the rehearsals compared to the final concert/s.

The rehearsals look like the MJ we all know, my guess is that he probably had a bit of anxiety for a lot of valid reasons and probably took a sedative like Xanax before the shows which impacted his performances, I don't say this to critique MJ, as someone who suffers from anxiety myself I've been in similar situations.
  • first concerts in the continental US since 1989
  • shows weren't 100% under his direction
  • first shows with his brothers since the 80s

The rehearsals look like the MJ we all know, my guess is that he probably had a bit of anxiety for a lot of valid reasons and probably took a sedative like Xanax before the shows which impacted his performances, I don't say this to critique MJ, as someone who suffers from anxiety myself I've been in similar situations.
  • first concerts in the continental US since 1989
  • shows weren't 100% under his direction
  • first shows with his brothers since the 80s
It did not have to do with anxiety on his part.

Besides, he was asked if he was nervous about his performance (by reporters on the red carpet), and he answered in the negative.

Michael Jackson took Demerol (and some other substances) just few hours before going to the MSG venue, which made him look so disoriented there.

It is not an exaggeration to say that Michael Jackson (from the early 2000s onwards) looked like a parody of his former self.

Back