Polaroid to stop making instant film

marialovesmjj

Proud Member
BOSTON Feb 8, 2008 (AP)

Polaroid Corp. is dropping the technology it pioneered long before digital photography rendered instant film obsolete to all but a few nostalgia buffs.
Polaroid is closing factories in Massachusetts, Mexico and the Netherlands and cutting 450 jobs as the brand synonymous with instant images focuses on ventures such as a portable printer for images from cell phones and Polaroid-branded digital cameras, televisions and DVD players.

This year's closures will leave Polaroid with 150 employees at its Concord headquarters and a site in the nearby Boston suburb of Waltham, down from peak global employment of nearly 21,000 in 1978.

More here: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=4264522

If you like Polaroid, take a look at: http://www.savepolaroid.com/

For ways on how you can help try to save the film.

As for me I find this sad, I really do. There is just something special about Polaroids to me.

Anyone agree?

Last edited:
That's awful. As much as I like digital cameras and technology, it's really sad to see that people are losing jobs over it. Plus the nostalgia value of it as well. :(

Last edited:
i thought they stopped making that stuff a long time ago. I used to love my polaroid !! I better stock up on film and used it again while I can ;)

I am kind of sad to hear this, those instant pictures had something special about them!

I love polaroid cameras even though the one that my mother's husband has is a digital Polaroid camera. But I really love the old ones better. And it is such a damn shame that they are going to stop making them. When I think of the only picture that I like of me when I was little was done with a Polaroid. And it is going to be so sad to think when I see that picture of me. And know that those Polaroids is no longer going to around. I definitely had just signed that petition.

Spread the word. Even though it's not 100% the best thing we can do is try to save it.

this is bad news to me. i have a camera that ejects the picture as soon as i take it...and it's inexpensive. while i have a computer...i don't have all the equipment for digital phots..nor do i have the knowledge..and i'm too lazy to learn right now. one thing for sure...there was no danger of viral spreading of a polaroid pic.

i'm gunna miss this, if it goes away...so i downloaded the postcards to send. thanks for the post.

BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE

& good riddence

^_^

instant film still is around???? that's news to me

Aww man, I still have my polaroid sun 600 camera that I got as a birthday present in 1981. I use it every once in a while and it works just as good as it did when I first got it.

Back