Did Michael take tapdance?

BillieJean84

Proud Member
when he was little, did Michael take tapdance?? Or any kind of dance??

The video for 'Bad' really shows MJ's dancing 'chorgeographed' talents

Last edited:
No, Michael never had any formal training in dance of any kind. Alot of choreographers were stunned during rehersals for thriller and other short films like captain Eo, they always said he caught on quicker than the professionals and dance better than them. It was just pure untaught talent and alot of strict practice.

Noo Michael never took any formal training for any dance or singing - other than vocal coach for 'warming up' which is NOT training... some people are blessed with these gifts and Michael was really Blessed.. it is all natural as the above person posted as well.

Check out our hero do his THANG at 1:45.

And yes - no formal training at all, just look & learn school.

MJ = GENIUS

Like others said I don't think he had training

but I was so amazed when I saw Michael tapdance with the Nicholas Brothers, it was a beautiful sight.

Infact I saw the whole Jackson crew (cept Jermaine) tapdancing on the variety show.

Michael was something else when it came to dancing.

That's how much of a natural and learner he is, He probably had little time to rehearse on the Variety show. Hence of why he hated that show because he is such a perfectionist and wants to get everything right. :D If I can recall correctly, correct me if I am wrong.

That's how much of a natural and learner he is, He probably had little time to rehearse on the Variety show. Hence of why he hated that show because he is such a perfectionist and wants to get everything right. :D If I can recall correctly, correct me if I am wrong.

What sucks is that people don't believe he's a natural dancer

I mean come on, you can tell the difference between a trained dancer and someone who has it natural, Michael is mad fluid and he never EVER counts. You could tell just from that clip of him and Marlon when they were kids.

I love Michael's tapdancing! I remember the first time I watched the Jacksons Show I just watched with my mouth agape. I couldn't believe how brilliant he was. I loved the "Putting on the Ritz" routine.

I think Michael was such a natural dancer than he could probably dance any form of dance, he just had to watch someone do and then he'd be able to do it himself. I'm sure nothing was too difficult for him -- from the waltz, to latin, to tapdance, to the more modern stuff.

I remember reading in Moonwalk he talked about during the filming of The Wiz how Diana Ross pulled him aside and said he was embarrasing her and the other actors. Michael was taken aback and asked why and she said because he was learning the dance steps/routine so much faster than them and he was showing them up.

He was just a natural with immense talent.

Does anyone know if Fred Astaire and/or Gene Kelly learned to tap dance or took lessons or whether it was natural for them like Michael?

I mean come on, you can tell the difference between a trained dancer and someone who has it natural, Michael is mad fluid and he never EVER counts. You could tell just from that clip of him and Marlon when they were kids.

lol... I know..I just don't get it either..:doh: How could you not tell Michael is a natural dancer :smilerolleyes: Yep.. :yes: Michael is like water & fire meaning grace & energy...Maybe it takes other natural born artists to understand that.. I know that when I listen to the song 'In The Back' by Michael the beat / rhythm in it is the perfect song to put tap into which makes me think that Michael most likely 'heard' that in his mind when creating that song. Just some thoughts...

lol... I know..I just don't get it either..:doh: How could you not tell Michael is a natural dancer :smilerolleyes: Yep.. :yes: Michael is like water & fire meaning grace & energy...Maybe it takes other natural born artists to understand that.. I know that when I listen to the song 'In The Back' by Michael the beat / rhythm in it is the perfect song to put tap into which makes me think that Michael most likely 'heard' that in his mind when creating that song. Just some thoughts...

You know something I noticed in "In The Closet" the part where he's just dancing alone during the chorus, he's moving to EVERY BEAT 100%!!!! Just looking at that showed me he's natural, Michael never ever misses a beat, even if he misses a step he does not miss a beat.
He becomes one with the music.

No no no don't get me wrong, I know MJ was a natural best at anything he did - but the reason I ask is I thoguht I saw a old home video or a picture of MJ when he was little 'tapdancing' but perhaps he just was born with these talents and could dance real amazing as a kid. Its one of him and his legs & feet were going everwhere lol

Didn't he tap with the Nicholas Brothers during the variety show?

Who doesn't believe that? sounds like crazy haters to me :cheeky: honestly, most people recognize the fact that he just knew how to move from the day he was born... It's pretty much common knowledge.
Haters can say what they want, but fact is: He's revolutionized dancing, and he will go down in history because of it.

No no no don't get me wrong, I know MJ was a natural best at anything he did - but the reason I ask is I thoguht I saw a old home video or a picture of MJ when he was little 'tapdancing' but perhaps he just was born with these talents and could dance real amazing as a kid. Its one of him and his legs & feet were going everwhere lol

Lol don't worry sweetie it wasnt directed towards you:shakehands

Didn't he tap with the Nicholas Brothers during the variety show?
Yes, that was amazing to watch.

Who doesn't believe that? sounds like crazy haters to me :cheeky: honestly, most people recognize the fact that he just knew how to move from the day he was born... It's pretty much common knowledge.
Haters can say what they want, but fact is: He's revolutionized dancing, and he will go down in history because of it.

Well I remember debating "natural vs trained" dancers and I used Michael and Janet as examples of people who have it natural, but people claimed Michael stole from the boogaloos and James Brown:smilerolleyes::smilerolleyes: and that the boogaloos gave him rhythm.

Haters

Back