LA Guidelines for Physicians On Scene with Paramedics

TinaG

Proud Member
I came across an interesting document tonight that I thought might be of interest to others here with regard to Murray's role as a physician on the scene when the paramedics arrived at MJ's house. I couldn't get the content to copy correctly or in full...it's a PDF file and it is giving me fits. But anyway, it outlines the procedures for what can/is to be done when a physician is on scene with paramedics.

Here is the link:

http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/policies/Ref800/816.pdf

Would love to know your thoughts on its content...

Tina, I've been going through this since morning. It's written in high protocol format which makes it difficult to follow in detail and compare to what Murray did or didn't do.
Still, I will get through this and post my answer.
Thanks for providing it.

The thing I focused on most was where it says that "although the law does not preclude a physician at the scene of a medical emergency from rendering patient care, it does prohibit them from directing paramedic personnel in advanced life support procedures."

It also mentions some things about when a physician assumes responsibility for patient care, but I'm just not sure I'm interpreting it all correctly, so was hoping for some other opinions to get a more clear meaning of everything in the document. Thanks for looking.

Yea, I've noticed in all cases paramedic personnel should refer to the base hospital for instructions and if there is an issue with the attending physician it has to be solved between him and the hospital.
So they don't really trust the attending physician except for the case he assumes full responsibility, I guess sign a document or something, which we know Murray wouldn't do.
Their protocol allows them to accept assistance from him but not substitute them otherwise.

So this means that Murray shouldnt have been giving certain orders and that the paramedics should have not have listened to Murray as much as it appears they did.

For all I know the paramedics didn't even care. He was long gone. The ambulance left the mansion as if going to a gas station.

For all I know the paramedics didn't even care. He was long gone. The ambulance left the mansion as if going to a gas station.

Yeah, didn't seem like they were in a hurry, backing up the way they did. Ambulances in a hurry drive differently. :(

Also, the excerpt posted makes me think we were fed a strange story about who decided to go to the Hospital instead of the morgue.

I'm also surprised about the operator in the 911 call- "sure, if you have anymore questions about the hook up of your new HD TV, give me another call."

That sure as heck didn't sound as if there was much hope, or worry, depending on your viewpoint I guess.

Odd how all of this just goes under the radar yet whether Michael was gay or not (again!) is more important to the media??

You're right DI. Media have to be beaten in their own territory. We have to make Michael's death a bigger story than himself. The epicenter should move to how justice works (or doesn't) and how that affects millions of people.

Back