Sesame Street Celebrates African-American Hair

Agent M

Proud Member
Sesame Street Celebrates African-American Hair

2ae0b81f.jpg

This week, Sesame Street unveiled an awesome new song called "I Love My Hair," all about why African-American hair deserves adoration. It shows a little girl puppet whose hairstyles include curls, braids, dreadlocks, and colorful barrettes, while she sings, "In a clip or in a bow, or let it sit in an Afro. My hair looks good in a cornrow...I love my hair!" Being proud of the hair you were born with is an important message for girls of any race (I say this as one who grew up with frizzy curls that I hated until sometime in college, and that I still sometimes straighten). But the video may be especially cool for African-American girls, since, as Chris Rock pointed out in Good Hair, they are constantly inundated with images of women who have weaves or hair that's been chemically relaxed, and may start to think that "good hair" doesn't mean "natural African-American hair." Hopefully, with more esteem-building moments like "I Love My Hair," a generation of girls will grow up feeling good about their hair, no matter what they choose to do with it.

http://www.allure.com/beauty/blogs/...-street-celebrates-african-american-hair.html

:clapping:

This is great especially because it's aimed at the young ones, although it'd help adults too :laugh: Not only does it help little girls love themselves it let's other kids know they should be accepting of everyone's differences

Back