Old/Classic movies lovers

Erandi

Proud Member
I love them, we know Michael loved them as well...how about you guys? Which are your fav movies, fav actors?

I'm fascinated with these movies (especially from the '30s up until the late '50s). There's a certain charm to them that cannot be equalled by any of the movies they make today. I can honestly say that I can sit through a 'bad' old movie, but can't do that with a bad new movie. It's true what they say "They don't make them as they used to!".
My fav actors from that era are: James Stewart (I think that even in real life he was a darling of a man). I love almost all his movies (top of the list is 'It's a wonderful life'). I said 'almost' because I'm not a fan of westerns and he made plenty of those.
Another fav is Cary Grant. Such a funny funny guy. His role in 'Arsenic and old lace' cracks me up every time.
Last, but not least - Montgomery Clift - gorgeous man and fantastic actor. Loved him in 'I confess' and 'From here to eternity'.

Ah, almost forgot about Chaplin's movies. Masterpieces!

I love them, we know Michael loved them as well...how about you guys? Which are your fav movies, fav actors?

I'm fascinated with these movies (especially from the '30s up until the late '50s). There's a certain charm to them that cannot be equalled by any of the movies they make today. I can honestly say that I can sit through a 'bad' old movie, but can't do that with a bad new movie. It's true what they say "They don't make them as they used to!".
My fav actors from that era are: James Stewart (I think that even in real life he was a darling of a man). I love almost all his movies (top of the list is 'It's a wonderful life'). I said 'almost' because I'm not a fan of westerns and he made plenty of those.
Another fav is Cary Grant. Such a funny funny guy. His role in 'Arsenic and old lace' cracks me up every time.
Last, but not least - Montgomery Clift - gorgeous man and fantastic actor. Loved him in 'I confess' and 'From here to eternity'.

Ah, almost forgot about Chaplin's movies. Masterpieces!

I L.O.V.E. to see another person who loves Cary Grant. He is my number 1 favorite Hollywood actor.

I have a huge L.O.V.E. for old Hollywood. Especially since that is the only Hollywood that I prefer anymore. Most of my favorite Hollywood actors and actresses are all dead now. I have a major L.O.V.E. for the old silent movies. I am just so fascinated by them. It's a shame they don't make them anymore. I really L.O.V.E. the old silent movie comedies that has either Harold Lloyd, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin, or Laurel and Hardy in them. They are my favorite comedians. Some of my favorite silent comedies are:

Girl Shy (One of the most greatest comedies ever made. Well I think it is. Especially at the scene where Harold needs to go and stop a wedding. I had never laugh so long and so hard as I did when I first saw that scene.)
The Gold Rush
Steamboat Bill Jr.
Safety Last
The General
and Why Worry?

I also have a L.O.V.E. for the movies that were made in the 30s through the 60s. Some of my most favorite movies that were made through those years are:

Bringing Up Baby
Wuthering Heights
Gone With The Wind
Whatever Happen To Baby Jane?
Double Indemnity (I just L.O.V.E. this movie so much.)
North By Northwest
Casablanca
Arsenic and Old Lace (Cary is just so funny in that movie. I can't believe he never like doing that movie. And thought James Stewart would have been a better choice to play his character.)
Father Goose
The Wizard Of Oz
Charade
Rosemary's Baby
Who's Afraid Of Virgina Woolf?
My Favorite Wife
They Drive By Night
Some Like It Hot
Niagara
Rear Window
Vertigo
Key Largo
The Maltese Falcon
The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (My favorite Fred and Ginger movie)
Modern Times
The Great Dictator
and Bonnie and Clyde

Some of my favorite Hollywood actors and actresses are:

Elizabeth Taylor
Marilyn Monroe
Cary Grant
Humphrey Bogart
Greta Garbo
Fred Astaire
Ginger Rogers
Katharine Hepburn
Barbara Stanwyck
and Rudolph Valentino

I do have other favorites besides them. But it really is such a shame that the Hollywood of today is not like the Hollywood of long ago. Which is why I have no interest in seeing any of today's Hollywood movies. No matter how good they might say they are. Because they are not like the ones of long ago. Which is why the only movies I really prefer watching of today are Bollywood movies.

^Hehe, apparently, we are the only ones digging this kind of movies :)

I'm gona give it a try to Girl Shy. I've never seen it before (or maybe I have and don't remember the name).
Have you watched 'There's room for one more' with Cary Grant? I've seen it recently and it was a sweet movie.

Last edited:
Yeah apparently we are the only ones that likes old movies. No haven't seen that Cary Grant movie it sounds good though. You can watch Girl Shy on you tube. And it really is such a very funny movie to watch. Especially when it gets to the whole wedding stopping scene.

I like any movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock or starring James Stewart, who are among my favourite directors and actors, some of my favourites are It's a Wonderful Life, Rear Window and Vertigo.

I like any movie directed by Alfred Hitchcock or starring James Stewart, who are among my favourite directors and actors, some of my favourites are It's a Wonderful Life, Rear Window and Vertigo.

Cool! Welcome to our small club :)
I love Hitchcock movies too. Rear Window is one of my favs. Suspense until the very end. On the same note, there's 'Rope'.
I enjoy watching 'Alfred Hitchcock presents' as well. Too bad that the series is so hard to find these days.

Cool! Welcome to our small club :)
I love Hitchcock movies too. Rear Window is one of my favs. Suspense until the very end. On the same note, there's 'Rope'.
I enjoy watching 'Alfred Hitchcock presents' as well. Too bad that the series is so hard to find these days.

I remember watching the Alfred Hitchcock Presents when I was little. They used to show it in reruns in the 80s and I think early 90s. I had really liked that show. It's a shame it's no longer shown on tv. :sad: I still can't believe there is so many shows that are not worth watching on American tv anymore. There are very, very few shows that are worth watching anymore. It is no wonder I prefer watching either educational, news, and British shows anymore. I wish the stations TVLand and Nick At Nite would go back and show all the old tv shows from the 50s to the 70s. Especially since I wasn't around when those shows were first on the air. And also the 80s since I was too little to really remember some of those shows.

I do like watching old movies, but haven't seen as much as the rest of you. I've seen most Audrey Hepburn films, "Gone with the Wind", etc...I love the humour in old movies - they actually involved some wit, which most of today's comedies lack.
Oh, and I watched Alfred Hitchcock Presents too when I was younger..(they just recently started showing reruns!).

Do any of you have a link to "Some Like it Hot" online? I watched most of it a few years ago, but missed the beginning...and I'd like to see the movie in its entirety, it was really funny!

April 16, 2009

i was watching "Cleopatra" with Elizabeth Taylor and I like "It's A Wonderful Life", as well. "look daddy! teacher says, everytime a bell rings, an angel get's its wings!" so sweet

Michael Jackson

The Journal Of Reflections Of Thought Truth Of Justice Nothing IS Black Or White (c) 1995, 2005, 2009, and 2010.
"Proceeds will be donated to prearranged mutually agreed upon charities"

www.myspace.com/sdeidjs - Photo Album

Peace, Happiness, L.O.V.E~~~

God Bless

Love Always

:angel:

April 16, 2009

i was watching "Cleopatra" with Elizabeth Taylor and I like "It's A Wonderful Life", as well. "look daddy! teacher says, everytime a bell rings, an angel get's its wings!" so sweet

Michael Jackson

The Journal Of Reflections Of Thought Truth Of Justice Nothing IS Black Or White (c) 1995, 2005, 2009, and 2010.
"Proceeds will be donated to prearranged mutually agreed upon charities"

www.myspace.com/sdeidjs - Photo Album

Peace, Happiness, L.O.V.E~~~

God Bless

Love Always

:angel:

Cleopatra is one of my favorite movies of Liz. :wild:

And.....

who_s_afraid_of_virginia_woolf-8523.jpg

She is so incredible in this movie. Perfect! :wild: :clapping:

Cleopatra is one of my favorite movies of Liz. :wild:

And.....

who_s_afraid_of_virginia_woolf-8523.jpg

She is so incredible in this movie. Perfect! :wild: :clapping:

I know Elizabeth was just so very incredible in Virgina Woolf. She was so perfect to play the part of Martha. I also thought she was incredible in the 1972 movie X, Y, and Zee. The Turner Classic Movie channel had showed that movie about a month or so ago. I think they were showing a marathon of her movies at the time. And I just Loved her in that movie even though I only saw a part of that movie.

I belong here. :laugh:

Breakfast at Tiffany's, My Fair Lady, La Belle et la Bête (1946), Gone with the Wind, Rear Window and Bringing Up Baby. :heart:

But yes, anything with Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Catherine Deneuve, Vivien Leigh, Jean Harlow or Brigitte Bardot is pure GOLD.

I also watched "The Band Wagon" over the summer; I thoroughly enjoyed it! Almost felt as though Michael was on the screen, not Fred Astaire. :)

Ah, I liked Liz' roles in 'A place in the sun' and 'Cat on the hot tin roof', alongside another of my favs - Paul Newman. Gosh, how I used to fantasize about that man :smilerolleyes:

TCM used to be my top of the list tv channel up until they stopped showing only classic movies. Now, they barely show an old film twice a year :(

Ah, I'm also a huge fan of the real classics. I am a film lover anyway, but my favorites are the older ones.

I think, "12 Angry Men" (of course the original with Henry Fonda) and "To Kill A Mockingbird" are the movies I adore the most - so it seems I have a weakness for movies that take place in court. :D

Fonda is just brilliant in all his roles - The Grapes Of Wrath, You Only Live Ones, Jesse James, Warlock, My Darling Clementine, Once Upon A Time In The West...

I would love to see "The Ox-Bow Incident", but unfortunately you don't get it in my country...

I also love Bette Davis (especially "What ever happend to Baby Jane" - wow, she's just amazing in that movie), James Stewart (he is incredible in Mr. Smith Goes To Washington and Harvey and in all the Hitchcock movies he made), Liz Taylor, Charles Chaplin ("The Great Dictator" is one of my favorite movies of all time, but I also love The Kid, Modern Times, City Lights...), Katharine Hepburn, Sir Alec Guiness (no, I did not discover him because of Star Wars, I think I first saw him in Murder by Death or Ladykillers) and then there are, of course, Brando, Astaire, Bogart, Cagney, E. G. Robinson, Judy Garland...:wub:

I think, I could go on like this for ages...:rofl:

I can't wait to watch "Never Let You Go" which stars Keira Knightly and Carey Mulligan. The trailer gives me a 70's Hollywood vibe.

Here you go http://stagevu.com/video/xaotfkitenzv
(Hehe, I think I've seen this movie about 5 times already. Never get tired of it)

I finally watched the entire thing, thanks again for the link.. It was great!

I don't know if anyone here happens to live in or around Toronto, but the TIFF Bell Lightbox (the new headquarters of the Toronto International Film Festival group) is playing great films all year round, including some of the films mentioned here..

Check out the calendar: http://tiff.net/tiffbelllightbox
I think right now they're playing "Psycho", "Some Like it Hot", "Singin' in the Rain"

Back