How close was Michael to releasing his next album in 2009 ?

SmoothCriminal1995

Proud Member
I'm wondering what you guys think. I'm not sure, we hear stories about who he's worked with, and all these new demos that were created post trial, some report 35, others report closer to 100. (in various states of completion) Also about songs he had pulled out the vault to work on again, Hollywood Tonight, The Way You Love Me, Stop Throwin' Your Life Away and others. But nobody ever says how close he was to releasing a new album. So I'm asking how close do you think he was to releasing a new album in 2009 ?

I'm wondering what you guys think. I'm not sure, we hear stories about who he's worked with, and all these new demos that were created post trial, some report 35, others report closer to 100. (in various states of completion) Also about songs he had pulled out the vault to work on again, Hollywood Tonight, The Way You Love Me, Stop Throwin' Your Life Away and others. But nobody ever says how close he was to releasing a new album. So I'm asking how close do you think he was to releasing a new album in 2009 ?

Well, he was scheduled to release a new song every few weeks during the 'This Is It' residence which was to begin on July 13th. TMZ found two sheets with song titles written, on the day of his passing. Their is a rough draft & also a computer written version, he was working on tracks at his then home + also going to studio's in Los Angeles as well.. no one can really know what kind of shape these song's are in, but it would be nice to find out.

Not even close. He was working on new music, but not on the new album. It would come out eventually, after This Is It Tour (not London concerts, but the whole tour) in late 2010 or 2011.

He planned to release singles while he was on tour, new single every few months and then after 10 or so singles, he would add 2 more songs and release an album. That is according to will.i.am and Michael Durham Prince.

Thanks Zakk, tbh I know a lot of the info about the songs found on the two sheets and that stuff, but thanks.
I do remember people saying about MJ wanting to release loads of singles and then an album at the end of it. Also I remember Michael Durham Prince talking about he was making music and saying he had no real intention on releasing a new album just yet. I just wonder if he was excited about the music he was creating and excited about making a new album.

Thanks Zakk, tbh I know a lot of the info about the songs found on the two sheets and that stuff, but thanks.
I do remember people saying about MJ wanting to release loads of singles and then an album at the end of it. Also I remember Michael Durham Prince talking about he was making music and saying he had no real intention on releasing a new album just yet. I just wonder if he was excited about the music he was creating and excited about making a new album.

Here are two interesting items regarding the material worked on by Red One in 2008 & 09'.... Originally posted by Billboard.

''Grammy-nominated producer RedOne, who helped Lady Gaga top charts around the world, believes that music he worked on with Michael Jackson before the singer's death could yet be released.

The 37-year-old producer, born in Morocco and steeped in European pop and rock after spending several years in Sweden, recorded with the "king of pop" in Las Vegas in 2008 and 2009 and in Los Angeles in 2009, before Jackson's death aged 50.

While the results are far from the finished product, RedOne, whose real name is Nadir Khayat, believes he has enough material to work on for a record, although any release would have to involve agreement with Jackson's record label and estate.

"I have big plans," he told Reuters at a recording studio in London, where he has been working with other artists.

"There is material that could come out (from the Jackson sessions)," he added.

"In case I'm going to release something, I would do it for charity, for something that he would have been proud of, because you always felt like everybody wanted to take advantage of him though his life," said RedOne, considered one of the world's top producers after his partnership with Lady Gaga.

Recalling his collaboration with Jackson, he said: "The music we were doing was good, really good ... very energetic, uplifting. It's sad that we never finished the material.

"Michael always has been focused on having hits, not having songs, so he always records a lot of songs and takes the best of them and that's his formula which I love. We were doing good quality music and it's never been finished.''

Here's a video for it:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfqmz5_redone-eyes-jackson-release_people

Only Michael knows how close he was. All we can do is guess

I really hope he has got enough material for a record ! That would be amazing, he seems like he's genuine about the profits going charity as well and I'm sure Michael would like that. Thanks for that Zakk :D

Well for the first half of 2009 up until his passing,he was focused primarily on This Is It,so who knows what the second half of 2009 during the course of TII would've brought? Only Michael knew,but he's no longer able to tell us.

Zakk;4061140 said:
The 37-year-old producer, born in Morocco and steeped in European pop and rock after spending several years in Sweden, recorded with the "king of pop" in Las Vegas in 2008 and 2009 and in Los Angeles in 2009, before Jackson's death aged 50.

Thanks for this. I didn't know he was still working with him in 2009 after he moved from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. Great finding.

So they first met/worked together as early as late-2007 when Hold My Hand was recorded in Studio X at The Palms resort & hotel in Las Vegas.

From D.S. article about Hold My Hand:

"RedOne also remembers watching Jackson record the track.

"“And after every take he was like, ‘Sorry, sorry.’ And I looked back and I’m like: ‘What is he saying sorry for?’ I look at Akon, and RedOne is in the room, and we are like: ‘It sounds amazing!’ And we already had goose bumps. And it wasn’t just because it was Michael Jackson, it was because he was singing his butt off!”

RedOne also remembers watching Jackson record the track.

Me and Akon were watching him work in the studio, laughing like little children,” said the producer of Jackson apologizing for what they considered an amazing vocal performance. “Michael is such a perfectionist in everything he does. Every detail is perfect. It’s all ear candy.”"

So from late 2007 to early 2009 there is a lot of time to record a lot of music, even 8-10 songs.

^^ Yes, 3 years is a considerable amount of time to record some great quality music. I assume if the album was to be released then the tracks would probably be around 3 minutes each in length! i read once, i think in 2011.. that in 2017, the Jackson estate will release an album that includes song's that Michael worked on in his final month's. I would like Red One to work with Theron Feemster & Will.I.Am to produce a top quality, ''recent'' Michael Jackson album... they could come up with something quite remarkable, maybe we should post this idea of a 2006-2009 album in the MJJC - Online Team Connection thread?

Billboard Link: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/959665/producer-redone-eyes-michael-jackson-release

That's Culver Studios shooting "The Dome Project" for This Is It, not recording studio.

''Unmasked: A rare glimpse of Michael Jackson's kids faces as they visit a recording studio'' The photo's were taken in the car park.

Edit: Location acquired from the research on the phone number seen behind Michael in those photo's.. it's sun valley California..

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos. I have seen one of them but didn't know Ortega was with him.

Yeah, 57 minute drive from Culver city.. so.. what we need to know now, was Michael in the process of recording vocal takes? or was he simply improvising with different mixes and instrumentals?

It's Culver Studios. Look at his shirt and his boots. Same as in The Drill/They Don't Care About Us from This Is It.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrJCp0ufLow

Culver City is a 57 minute drive, i have done research on the thing's spotted in the parking lot where Michael was getting out of the car and it directed me to Sun Valley. June 3rd & June 4th.. similar clothing? yes. If i recall correctly, Travis said Michael worked on his album for some of the day and then went to rehearse with the dancers etc.! just because he is wearing the same shirt, doesn't mean he wasn't at Sun Valley the day earlier.

Culver City is a 57 minute drive, i have done research on the thing's spotted in the parking lot where Michael was getting out of the car and it directed me to Sun Valley. June 3rd & June 4th.. similar clothing? yes. If i recall correctly, Travis said Michael worked on his album for some of the day and then went to rehearse with the dancers etc.! just because he is wearing the same shirt, doesn't mean he wasn't at Sun Valley the day earlier.

It has to be something This Is It related. Why else would Kenny Ortega be there?

It has to be something This Is It related. Why else would Kenny Ortega be there?

Maybe he wanted his children & Kenny to check out what he had been working on in the month's leading up to the shows? of course they could have been working on live mixes for the shows.. we can't know though, could have been either.

I think the album would have been released after the concerts were finished. My guess is since he was in London for 50 shows, he probably was going to record somewhere in London during his off time. My guess is sometime in 2010.

I agree. - Maybe MJ would record new "live vocals" to use for play-back?

Hope he went to make new music - but we will never really know I guess.

I just hope there are many finished songs out there ready to be released. - And hope MJ did some vocals to people of the world. - Maybe MJ did them all alone in a home studio. (me dreaming!! I so want a full vocal version of POTW!! - sad it will never happen..)

I agree. - Maybe MJ would record new "live vocals" to use for play-back?

Hope he went to make new music - but we will never really know I guess.

I just hope there are many finished songs out there ready to be released. - And hope MJ did some vocals to people of the world. - Maybe MJ did them all alone in a home studio. (me dreaming!! I so want a full vocal version of POTW!! - sad it will never happen..)

It's already been said that Michael was working with Neff-U/Red One & Michael Durham Prince up until his death. No one can know the real number of song's their are from those sessions, but Red One has said he has enough material for a full album, plus.. if Michael Durham Prince/Will.I.Am & Neff-U Work together, their's another full album. Travis confirmed that Michael worked on the new album at his Carolwood drive home! I imagine what he referred to was probably Michael improvising into the tape machine, as he did back in the day. He circled 'Silent Spring' and a few other tracks, could this mean that a demo was completed? or does it simply mean that he desired this to be in the final tracklisting? many questions that need answers, but the estate still have a lot of song's they need to acquire.. we could talk about this all day, lol. Sorry for rambling :D

It's unrealistic that he recorded/worked on 100 songs during that time period, it were probably only 10-20 songs.....i think....

It's unrealistic that he recorded/worked on 100 songs during that time period, it were probably only 10-20 songs.....i think....

It's more than 10-20 songs.

From 2006-2009 he worked:

- with will.i.am on 6 songs + 1 John Legend song
- with RedOne on around 8-10 songs
- with Neff-U on 11 songs
- with Akon on Hold My Hand + 2 more songs
- with Brad Buxer & Michael Durham Prince on at least 32 songs
- with Ne-Yo on around 10 songs - vocals never recorded
- with T-Pain on 1 song - vocals never recorded

All this is confirmed. And we either know the titles from producers themselves (will.i.am songs) or from official registrations (Neff-U, Brad Buxer & Michael Durham Prince songs). Only songs that we don't know the titles are Akon and RedOne collaborations + John Legend written song.

No one can put a number on the volume of tracks that are complete enough to be released, but i'd say their's definitely enough for 2-3 album's worth.. featuring material recorded in the year's of 2006 to 2009.

It's more than 10-20 songs.

From 2006-2009 he worked:

- with will.i.am on 6 songs + 1 John Legend song
- with RedOne on around 8-10 songs
- with Neff-U on 11 songs
- with Akon on Hold My Hand + 2 more songs
- with Brad Buxer & Michael Durham Prince on at least 32 songs
- with Ne-Yo on around 10 songs - vocals never recorded
- with T-Pain on 1 song - vocals never recorded

All this is confirmed. And we either know the titles from producers themselves (will.i.am songs) or from official registrations (Neff-U, Brad Buxer & Michael Durham Prince songs). Only songs that we don't know the titles are Akon and RedOne collaborations + John Legend written song.

Thanks for this, Akon said the other song's he worked on with Michael are just harmonies & concepts.. both could be released, either as instrumentals or something similar to 'In The Back'

11 registrated Neff-U collaborations:

Bang Your Head (Michael Jackson, Michael Durham Prince, Theron Feemster)
Broken Chair (Michael Jackson, Michael Durham Prince, Theron Feemster)
D.I.E. (Michael Jackson, Michael Durham Prince, Theron Feemster)
Don’t Make Me Stay (Michael Jackson, Michael Durham Prince, Theron Feemster)
For The World (Michael Jackson, Michael Durham Prince, Theron Feemster)
H20 (Michael Jackson, Michael Durham Prince, Theron Feemster)
Lady of Summer (Michael Jackson, Michael Durham Prince, Theron Feemster)
Red Eye (Michael Jackson, Michael Durham Prince, Theron Feemster)
Silent Spring (Michael Jackson, Michael Durham Prince, Theron Feemster)
Stop Throwing Your Life Away (2010 Remix) (Michael Jackson, Michael Durham Prince, Theron Feemster)
Water (Michael Jackson, Michael Durham Prince, Theron Feemster)

Akon said the other song's he worked on with Michael are just harmonies & concepts.. both could be released, either as instrumentals or something similar to 'In The Back'

Absolutely. I was just stating the number of songs. Probably majority of these are extremely unfinished, some don't even have the vocals. But the song is a song. I would love to hear them all. Even Ne-Yo demos he created for Michael.

Absolutely. I was just stating the number of songs. Probably majority of these are extremely unfinished, some don't even have the vocals. But the song is a song. I would love to hear them all. Even Ne-Yo demos he created for Michael.

How many tracks would you say are considered complete enough to be released from the final 3 years then? surely enough for two 8 track Albums.. wish the estate's archivist would declare something regarding this situation, same as Queen's archivist did.

Back