What was Michael Jacksons Secret?

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
What was Michael Jacksons secret for staying relevant for so long? I mean he lasted through decades! From the age of 5 to 40 and beyond. He had number one records whenever he released an album, that's almost an impossible feat to pull off. Is there a secret for his longevity and viability on the charts? It goes without saying that he worked hard and made great music but there has to be something else.

Hard to say any spesific reason. His music and style changed over the years so people didn't get bored and the short film are amazing. Also the music was good of course. :)

I think he was one of those rare and unique talents that come along only rarely, but when they do people can't help but be drawn to them. His dedication to give his best in his music and short films, of course, but he also had an incredible natural magnetism that still captivates people to this day.

I live and work in Dubai. I see people from every corner of this world on daily basis and cant help but tell myself everyday when I am on my way to work how did MJ manage to be known and recognizable to each and everyone of those different people. Incredible .

Don't know what Michael's secret is, and would rather not know. It doesn't matter, and really now, there's no specific answer.

Talent. Charisma. A special personality. A good heart. (Too good for this world.)

Also his art came from his heart and people can feel that.

I think he was one of those rare and unique talents that come along only rarely, but when they do people can't help but be drawn to them. His dedication to give his best in his music and short films, of course, but he also had an incredible natural magnetism that still captivates people to this day.

Yes! I think a lot had to do with that X-factor he possessed. Which artist could stand still on stage for 5 minutes and make people faint and scream? That's surreal.

Talent. Charisma. A special personality. A good heart. (Too good for this world.)

Very true. I also wonder if the media played a role in all of this. Despite all their futile attempts to disparage and discredit him he became an even more prominent figure in today's music industry. The more they tried to drag him down the more he came back stronger than ever.

This is besides the music, and I don't know if I'm wrong for saying this, but I think he will be long remembered because he was a polarizing entity. Till this day people can't quite grasp who he was. there will be a lot of interpretations about him and his life. Essays, analysis. I think that's good to a certain degree. Art is supposed to be polarizing. And then, of course, there is the other stupid nonsense that also will be speculated.

That other stuff won't disappear, but I do think will become less the focus over time. His music and dance will live on however. And there will always be those who will discover and be moved and inspired by him. That level of devotion to producing great music, great performances comes across. He was the real deal, not faked or packaged to look as if it's more than what it is.

Perhaps there is no secret per sea. Just a love of what you do and a willingness and drive to perfect and sacrifice to be the best you can be at it. And a heart and soul to go along with it. Plus personal charisma that was off the scale.

Raw talent. He was the living embodiment of music and dance. There's nothing else to it.

That other stuff won't disappear, but I do think will become less the focus over time.
Absolutely. I think a major first step in that process was June 25. I found that both sad, aggrevating and nice at the same time. Sad because it took Michael's death for it to happen. Aggrevating because people for whom Michael was the butt of jokes suddenly turned around and showed appreciation for him. And at a different level of course also nice because Michael's work was finally getting some of the respect it deserves.

I think that this is a process that will continue for a while. One example is the increased popularity of TDCAU 20 years after its release. People are discovering things in Michael's work that many ignored at the time. I do think that the direction this takes or the degree to which the general public for years to come appreciates Michael can be profoundly influenced by posthumous projects (hence why I am one of the people unhappy with the current releases). There is a lot people do not know about Michael, the artist and the man, and many people seem more willing to listen now than while he was alive. There is opportunity there.

"I know the creator will go but his work survives, that is why to escape death, I attempt to bind my soul to my work."

I agree with all of these and would add in perfectionism and a dedicated work ethic.

The fact Michael created timeless pieces of of work, Thriller was released almost 4 decades ago and it's still fresh, more fresh than any of today's music. I agree about the charisma, he was an absolute charmer, people inevitably are drawn onto him because of his extreme magnetism, he leaves you wanting more. So many of us were always expecting what he'd do next, Michael mastered the art of mystery like no one else.

I would say, a number of factors that collided like stars in the sky once in a million years :) But mostly, I would distinguish three:
1. Natural talent and creativity (and like many artistic geniuses, Michael had a multifaceted talent - in singing, dancing, songwriting, drawing).
2. A vision larger than his own life. That manifested both in his philanthropic goals to make the world a better place and in his personal goals to immortalize himself.
3. Rare focus and drive throughout his whole life - to always reach higher, bigger; outdo everyone; study, practice, improve, innovate, do whatever possible to leave a lasting legacy.

ETA: a good ebook addressing this question, btw: http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Jackson-Seven-Secrets-Success-ebook/dp/B00BG9KZX6

Last edited:
Michael and his music is universal. Anybody can enjoy his art. The greatest artists are universal. Also, you connect emotionally to his art. It helps you escape; celebrate life, etc ....

He 'lifted' people by communicating so many qualities that are in short supply in this world; pure excellence that went hand in hand with love, joy, exhilaration, compassion, humility, selflessness....

He exhibited none of the qualities that the world has too much of: cynicism, greed, jealousy, boredom, entitlement, arrogance....

Each of the above lists can be added to, almost infinitely.

MJ had a focus and drive like no other. Most other stars now are doing fashion, partying or whatever. Michael dedicated his entire life to music and the craft he put out. I think his ability to take from the greats and add to it was second to none as well.

I think for me, his secret was that he was always one step ahead of the game. I mean think about it, Thriller? Smooth Criminal? Who cam make zombies badass? Michael. He was always thinking ahead, and he had a fire under his butt that would keep him going for days dude.

Back