Project: Can your opinion change of a song by listening to it more? Let's see

innuendo141

Proud Member
Country
Ireland
OK, I just came up with this idea driving home from work last night, and was wondering if anyone else wants to give it a shot with me.

I was listening to Dangerous on the way home, and I got as far as 'Can't Let Her Get Away'. Now, this has always been one of my least favourite and least played MJ tracks. Kinda felt myself getting into it singing along and realised that I had kind of turned a corner with the song- I still don't LOVE it, but I like it a bit more.

SO, I decided I was going to make a new playlist. Take 10 songs in total from every solo album that MJ released as an adult. I was going to initially just pick 2 from each album, but I find Bad and HIStory flawless so this would be a waste of 4 songs for me as I listen to those 2 albums more than anything). Here is my list

1. It's The Falling In Love
2. Burn This Disco Out
3. PYT
4. Can't Let Her Get Away
5. Keep The Faith
6. Superfly Sister
7. Heartbreaker
8. Don't Walk Away
9. You Are My Life
10. Heaven Can Wait

I'm gonna throw this playlist on now when I leave work and going to the gym, pool tennis club etc. and I will see if my pinion is changed on any of the songs. I doubt that anything major is going to change in what I think of the songs but, sometimes you know yourself, something can finally click inside you and change how a song sounds.

Obviously if you think this is stupid then just ignore- it is stupid, most likely. It's only a silly idea I had and I'm thinking out loud putting off starting my day's work ha!

Yeah, you need a slap for including Heaven Can Wait, It's The Falling In Love and Heartbreaker on this list innuendo141! Let me know when you've come to your senses.

Yeah, you need a slap for including Heaven Can Wait, It's The Falling In Love and Heartbreaker on this list innuendo141! Let me know when you've come to your senses.

My first list was 10 Invincible tracks ;)

Seriously though, I do think opinions can change and you can grow to appreciate songs you once dismissed. Much of MJ's work is very instant, so when you hear something and it doesn't bowl you over straight away it's very easy to be dismissive. A lot of artists take several repeated listens to fully digest their albums, but MJ is a pop artist and has made, for want of a better word, "catchy" music that draws you in straight away and I don't think people give his work the same patience as artists like Prince or Neil Young.

The most recent two examples for me of songs that I had slept on, are Break of Dawn and It's The Falling In Love. I hardly ever played these songs when I put on OTW and Invincible and pretty much ignored them for the best part of my fandom. Then a few months ago they just really spoke to me and I now love both of these tracks.

Last edited:
Seriously though, I do think opinions can change and you can grow to appreciate songs you once dismissed. Much of MJ's work is very instant, so when you hear something and it doesn't bowl you over straight away it's very easy to be dismissive. A lot of artists take several repeated listens to fully digest their albums, but because MJ is a pop artist and has made, for want of a better word, "catchy" music that draws you in straight away I don't think people give his work the same patience.

The most recent two examples for me of songs that I had slept on, are Break of Dawn and It's The Falling In Love. I hardly ever played these songs when I put on OTW and Invincible and pretty much ignored them for the best part of my fandom. Then a few months ago they just really spoke to me and I now love both of these tracks.

Yeah this is what I mean. It's happened with a few songs for me, but not many since my transition form teenager to adult years ago. Don't know what it was about Cant Let Her Get Away yesterday bit I was boppin like mad and normally never really sing along to that one.

I have listened to MJ's music so much over the years that I doubt there's much there left on which my opinion would change if I gave it a few more listens on top of the thousands of listens I already gave them.

For example, I know Can't Let Her Get Away is a polarizing track. Many fans do not really like it, but those who do swear it's brilliant. I'm in the group that does not really like it but I did try to see what am I missing so I did listen to it a number of times with an open mind, but nothing really changed. (And of course there's also the opposite of it when I think a track is brilliant and do not understand why it gets flak from other fans. Eg. Speed Demon, Little Susie.).

I have listened to MJ's music so much over the years that I doubt there's much there left on which my opinion would change if I gave it a few more listens on top of the thousands of listens I already gave them.

For example, I know Can't Let Her Get Away is a polarizing track. Many fans do not really like it, but those who do swear it's brilliant. I'm in the group that does not really like it but I did try to see what am I missing so I did listen to it a number of times with an open mind, but nothing really changed. (And of course there's also the opposite of it when I think a track is brilliant and do not understand why it gets flak from other fans. Eg. Speed Demon, Little Susie.).

I feel exactly the same about tracks. I feel like I cant listen to them any more for my opinion to chnage, but I'll give it a shot. I havent a lot going on this week other than Wimbledon and I'm back in the gym and training for my next marathon so I've a little more time to listen to music so, any excuse haha

I'll try and get round to putting ten songs together and see how I get on but I definitely agree that your opinion can change the more you listen to a song,some you love from the first beat,others take time to grow on you and some even start to sound tiresome after a while(not MJ tracks obviously)and sometimes maybe a certain song that I never cared for has appeared in an advert or it was playing on holiday or somewhere,just something that makes that song work for the first time in my head and I have ended up really appreciating some songs I never used to care for.

I'll try and get round to putting ten songs together and see how I get on but I definitely agree that your opinion can change the more you listen to a song,some you love from the first beat,others take time to grow on you and some even start to sound tiresome after a while(not MJ tracks obviously)and sometimes maybe a certain song that I never cared for has appeared in an advert or it was playing on holiday or somewhere,just something that makes that song work for the first time in my head and I have ended up really appreciating some songs I never used to care for.

Oh, yeah, that too definitely happens: you hear a song and first you think it's brilliant then half a year later you do not even know any more what you saw in it first. (It does not happen to me with MJ's music though. I still remember how I first heard the Bad album in my father's car - that was my first time of hearing about MJ as a kid - and how I was blown away immediately. And almost 30 years on I still think that album is great.)

Happens to me all the time. Discovering new MJ tracks. For instance, I always hated or neglected the songs Speed Demon, She Drives Me Wild, all of OTW tracks lol etc. Until I started hearing it in its entirely more often,It slowly started to grow into me.

Now, that is a COOL thread.

I thought, I was the only one with this silly idea of how a song can HIT you 'ages' beyond its release date.
I recently discovered some songs that I usually skip just by listening to #MJJCommunityRadio :blush:

You see, with a CD its easy to skip to your fave songs with a Radio that 'constantly' streams MJ music, you learn to 'appreciate' even the songs that didn't HIT you at first.

Indeed, silly or stupid is it not. You have songs that HIT you instantly and you have songs that should grow on you. Then, you have those songs that HIT you one day.

Yeah, a TOP 10 would be COOL to make :D

One song just pops into my mind now. I never really HIT off with "Off the wall" but since it played during one of the #ClubMJJCParty I quite like it now. :blush:

So, yeash. Your opinion can definitely change according to different factors as listening times and where and when you hear it. Songs can exactly hold or even change memories ;)

Okay innuendo141, you've had nearly a week now. Have you come to your senses about Heaven Can Wait and Heartbreaker yet?

I think Heartbreaker is a pretty good track, makes me wanna get up and dance. And I loved Heaven Can Wait a while back, during my first relationship :p . Invincible was in line with Off The Wall and Thriller, the only thing which drags it down is the length.

Apparently you can make yourself like a food by eating it 12 times.

But I could listen to Don't Walk Away and Privacy from now until eternity and I know I wouldn't ever enjoy them.

However I still discover tracks that I never really listened to even now. Recent 'discoveries' include Heartbreak Hotel and Dancin' Machine.

Back