If Michael made Thriller and all his previous and future albums today?

He wouldn't do the same bc music nowadays is so different... He was always taking the pulse of the musical scene. They were gems at the time they were made and they still are. Albums such HIStory and Invincible would have been quite different regarding some topics if the events in 1993 hadn't had happened...

Well songs like Beat It, Dirty Diana, & Black Or White wouldn't have gotten anywhere, at least in the USA. That guitar rock sound has been out of mainstream Top 40 radio for years now. Would need some trap beats and a bunch of collabos on the albums.

Well songs like Beat It, Dirty Diana, & Black Or White wouldn't have gotten anywhere, at least in the USA. That guitar rock sound has been out of mainstream Top 40 radio for years now. Would need some trap beats and a bunch of collabos on the albums.

Radio hits are not the be all end all when it comes to music today. Streams, playlists are much more important than those top 40 hits. Also Bruno Mars had a successful run with 24k magic 2 years ago. Then there are artists like Ed sheeran whose main instrument is a guitar and do not do trap who has had hit after hit.

I haven’t actively listened to the radio once in the last 20 years. :D

Radio hits are not the be all end all when it comes to music today. Streams, playlists are much more important than those top 40 hits. Also Bruno Mars had a successful run with 24k magic 2 years ago. Then there are artists like Ed sheeran whose main instrument is a guitar and do not do trap who has had hit after hit.
Streaming is more like a jukebox than listening to the radio. People choose the songs they want to hear. But with a jukebox you still had to put a quarter in the machine. You can listen to music for free on Youtube. The entire albums are posted in the artists "topic" channel. So if a person has not heard of an artist or not interested in them, they are not likely to listen to their songs. With radio or 1980s MTV or BET, millions of people are listening to the same thing and so know the same artists or songs. You're kind of forced to listen to particular songs/artists. I've seen several people on this site say they've never heard Drake songs, yet he is probably the most popular artist today. His popularity is more from streaming.

Listening to the radio I heard songs a lot. I know the words to songs I don't even like because they got played all the time. :rofl: You can't say that for streaming, and performers don't make the same amount of money from streams as the ones did when people bought a physical record, tape, or CD. There's a reason artists now are signed to 360 deals which did not really exist in the record buying days. So does streaming really have the same impact with the general public as radio did, even if has hundreds of millions of views on Youtube. There's lots of videos like that, music or otherwise, that I don't know what they are. There's a lot of songs that I remember from the radio that weren't big chart hits or just got played a few times. If they weren't on the radio I would have never heard of them. Most songs did not have music videos, and you had to have cable for MTV anyway. There was Friday Night Videos on MTV. But it came on late at night once a week.

1980's Top 40 radio played a variety of music. Today it's more segregated.

Back