Thread: One, Two, Three Punch!

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 165
    Overall activity: 0.5%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default One, Two, Three Punch!

How did Michael come out swinging in the business arena (with his catalogs) in 2007?

Mijac Publishing
    -Sly Stone's resurgence with tour and greatest hit release
    -O Jay's touring and greatest hits release
    -the success of Kanye West's sample of the song GOLDDIGGER

Sony/ATV
    what a long list ........but I put a few..

-the hiring of Martin Bandier
    -signing of songwriter Diane Warren
    -controlling many of Cliff Richard's music with his 50th Anniv celebration
    - having artists voted for the best album and song of the year for the Grammy's, CMA's, VMA's and AMA's
    -owing the rights to the theme shows by Merv Griffin .. like Jeopardy
    -exclusive writers, James Morrison, Gary Barlow and Noel Gallagher who were honored at this year's BRIT Awards which took place on February 14 in London.

..at the end of each year.. there are always some kind of list made by the media.. so why can't we do our own list..in relations to MJ's business dealings in the industry...

come on.. please add to the list??
    Last edited by Rasta Pasta; 27-12-2007 at 03:44 PM.
    Sony/ATV, a joint venture between Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) and pop star Michael Jackson, expects more music catalogues to be put up for sale this year as people look to cash in profits in a slowing economy, said CEO Martin Bandier in a telephone interview.

"To the extent that large acquisitions become available, Sony/ATV is in a particularly good place," he said. "It's hard to overpay for a great Picasso...if you're buying quality music that will last for generations. Great songs are a rarity."

Sony/ATV is a traditional music publisher which makes money every time a piece of music is used on a variety of outlets including radio, movies, live performances, advertising as well as a share from recorded music sales.
    http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2...gital-beatles/
    Reuter, 17 Apr 2008

Michael P. Schulhof, president and CEO, Sony Corporation of America, said: "Michael Jackson is not only the most successful entertainer in history; he is also an astute businessman. Michael understands the importance of copyrights and the role they play in the introduction of new technologies. In joining us for this new venture, Michael recognizes Sony's leadership in developing and realizing new technologies that serve to expand the creative horizons of artists such as himself.

He added, "To have Michael Jack son's song catalogues joined with ours will enable both Sony Music and Michael Jackson to aggressively build on a publishing portfolio filled with songs that are acknowledged as the cornerstones of popular music today."

Jet Magazine, Nov 1995
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_/ai_17793656

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: One, Two, Three Punch!

A bit off topic but since I know you will be watching this thread Rasta...

Why is it that BMG music club is currently only carrying 3 of Michael's albums? They used to carry a lot more. What is the relationship between Sony, BMG, and Michael.

They actually have at least 5 albums by Joe Jackson btw.
    "I like to take sounds and put them under the microscope and talk about how we want to manipulate the character of it."
    ---Michael Jackson

Different though they are in detail, people are forever leaning on one another, trying to be whatever will not displease others, afraid of being themselves.

From the Pattern 'Mosaic of Subcultures' in "A Pattern Language" by Christopher Alexander

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eternitys_child View Post
    A bit off topic but since I know you will be watching this thread Rasta...

Why is it that BMG music club is currently only carrying 3 of Michael's albums? They used to carry a lot more. What is the relationship between Sony, BMG, and Michael.

They actually have at least 5 albums by Joe Jackson btw.
    Hey eternitys_child, I think it has to do with his agreement with Sony... and the dealings with his masters...I think Michael has a say in what albums can be used ..

I don't think we realize it .. BUT.. Michael is the one that got Mottola fired.. and Michael .. carries a LOT more weight in Sony now (post Mottola).. than many realize..

he holds the trumph card to the future of Sony/BMG earnings .. because the money is in the publishing.. and that's where Sony/BMG wants to go..

that Ebony magazine issue.. revealed alot...to me .. if you are the artist that earned a record company $1bil profit off one album.. ummmm??

Sony/BMG is about to 'throw down' some major cash in backing one Michael Jackson... this is my guess..

just to repeat.. a continuatin of his legacy is about to be written.. please don't miss it....
    Last edited by Rasta Pasta; 27-12-2007 at 04:36 PM.
    Sony/ATV, a joint venture between Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) and pop star Michael Jackson, expects more music catalogues to be put up for sale this year as people look to cash in profits in a slowing economy, said CEO Martin Bandier in a telephone interview.

"To the extent that large acquisitions become available, Sony/ATV is in a particularly good place," he said. "It's hard to overpay for a great Picasso...if you're buying quality music that will last for generations. Great songs are a rarity."

Sony/ATV is a traditional music publisher which makes money every time a piece of music is used on a variety of outlets including radio, movies, live performances, advertising as well as a share from recorded music sales.
    Reuter, 17 Apr 2008

Michael P. Schulhof, president and CEO, Sony Corporation of America, said: "Michael Jackson is not only the most successful entertainer in history; he is also an astute businessman. Michael understands the importance of copyrights and the role they play in the introduction of new technologies. In joining us for this new venture, Michael recognizes Sony's leadership in developing and realizing new technologies that serve to expand the creative horizons of artists such as himself.

He added, "To have Michael Jack son's song catalogues joined with ours will enable both Sony Music and Michael Jackson to aggressively build on a publishing portfolio filled with songs that are acknowledged as the cornerstones of popular music today."

Jet Magazine, Nov 1995

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rasta Pasta View Post

I don't think we realize it .. BUT.. Michael is the one that got Mottola fired..
    Really? Can you say more about it, please?

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Hey eternitys_child, I think it has to do with his agreement with Sony... and the dealings with his masters...I think Michael has a say in what albums can be used ..

I don't think we realize it .. BUT.. Michael is the one that got Mottola fired.. and Michael .. carries a LOT more weight in Sony now (post Mottola).. than many realize..

he holds the trumph card to the future of Sony/BMG earnings .. because the money is in the publishing.. and that's where Sony/BMG wants to go..

that Ebony magazine issue.. revealed alot...to me .. if you are the artist that earned a record company $1bil profit off one album.. ummmm??

Sony/BMG is about to 'throw down' some major cash in backing one Michael Jackson... this is my guess..

just to repeat.. a continuatin of his legacy is about to be written.. please don't miss it....
    Well it is very annoying. I still have free cds due from them and suddenly they don't carry Michael's. Less than a year ago they still had at least most of his albums. I wonder if they will carry Thriller 25. I don't see that there yet either. I think they have Vince, Number Ones and I forget which other one and that's it.
    "I like to take sounds and put them under the microscope and talk about how we want to manipulate the character of it."
    ---Michael Jackson

Different though they are in detail, people are forever leaning on one another, trying to be whatever will not displease others, afraid of being themselves.

From the Pattern 'Mosaic of Subcultures' in "A Pattern Language" by Christopher Alexander

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by virginia_woolf View Post
    Really? Can you say more about it, please?
    maybe later when I have more time .. but if you were around 2001 .. there was alot going on..

as for adding more to the MJ list

Sony/ATV.. had a big hit with

BEAUTIFUL GIRLS by Sean Kingston (up to #1 on the Hot 100) which samples the Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller/Ben E. King song STAND BY ME.

Reuter, 17 Apr 2008

Jet Magazine, Nov 1995

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

adding to the list

Jeff Wayne #1 DVD!
    Jan 16, 2007

In 1978 Jeff Wayne composed and produced one of the most groundbreaking and best-selling musical works of all time. In 2006 after much anticipation Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds was brought to the stage for the first time, playing to sold-out arenas across the UK.

The War of The Worlds: Live DVD is a spectacular mix of live music, theatre, multi-media and visual arts on a grand scale. It combines the brilliance of the original performers including Jeff Wayne, Justin Hayward, Chris Thompson and even the late Richard Burton along with a brand new cast, the 10-piece Black Smoke Band, the 48-piece ULLAdubULLA Strings and an unforgettable fully operating 30ft Martian Fighting Machine!

War Of The Worlds: Live DVD is out now.

www.thewaroftheworlds.com

http://www.sonyatv.com/en-uk/index.php/news/247

Reuter, 17 Apr 2008

Jet Magazine, Nov 1995

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,764 Times in 2,232 Posts

Michael gives credit to his fans stepping up to defend someone we love, MICHAEL. FOR TOMMY M. getting fired
    Walk in truth, stand IN JUSTICE https://twitter.com/rasheedKOPV?s=09

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 287
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

maybe later when I have more time .. but if you were around 2001 .. there was alot going on..
    I'm a longtime fan (about 18 years) but I didn't have Internet around 2001 so I don't know much about "Sony, Motolla and Michael".

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by virginia_woolf View Post
    I'm a longtime fan (about 18 years) but I didn't have Internet around 2001 so I don't know much about "Sony, Motolla and Michael".
    its OK.. it was a very dark period... very frustrating times as a fan...

thing is .. of course the media never gave Michael any credit of deposing Mottolla.. but some artist on the label knew the deal and NAS wasn't afraid to say it..

Reuter, 17 Apr 2008

Jet Magazine, Nov 1995

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

ok.. ok.. I don't being the only one adding to the list

The Beatles' LOVE Cirque du Soliel Soundtrack Album!
    Jan 21, 2007

The soundtrack to The Beatles LOVE, The Beatles-Cirque du Soleil Las Vegas musical, is in stores now. The album features 26 newly created "mashups" of material from the group's original master tapes, creating a musical "tapestry" mixing elements from different Beatles songs to form entirely new pieces.

The Beatles' company, Apple, issued a description of the new album, explaining that, "... if you can imagine "Strawberry Fields Forever" beginning with John (Lennon's) original demo before going into an early take of the song and then climaxing in a musical collage including the piano solo from "In My Life" and the harpsichord pattern from "Piggies" or "Get Back," prefaced by the "A Hard Day's Night" opening guitar chord, the guitar and drum solos from "The End" and segued into "Glass Onion," you will begin to get the picture."

The project was compiled and produced by the group's legendary producer George Martin and his son Giles Martin at London's Abbey Road Studios, where the group recorded nearly their entire catalogue between 1962 and 1970.

The 26-track soundtrack to The Beatles LOVE includes the songs "Because," "Get Back," "Glass Onion," "I Am The Walrus," "Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing," "Blackbird/Yesterday," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows," "Octopus's Garden," "Lady Madonna," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "A Day In The Life," "Hey Jude," "All You Need Is Love," and others.

The Las Vegas partnership between the Beatles and Cirque du Soleil was spearheaded by the late George Harrison and Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberte, who became friends while following the Formula One racing circuit. It was Harrison who pitched the idea to Paul McCartney and went on to attend a Las Vegas Cirque performance with him in 2000, and Harrison's enthusiasm for the project convinced McCartney, Ringo Starr, and John Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, to agree to the project.

The album is released on Capitol in the U.S. and EMI in the rest of the world.
    http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/197

Reuter, 17 Apr 2008

Jet Magazine, Nov 1995

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

still adding..

Sony/ATV songs featured by legendary recording artists!
    Jan 24, 2007

Sony/ATV Music songs are featured on currently charting albums and new releases by some of the music industry's legendary recording artists:

Music For Lovers
    Dinah Washington's Music For Lovers contains the Pop/Standard classic, "I'm Gonna Laugh You Right Out Of My Life", written by Cy Coleman and Joseph McCarthy. The performance is "pure Dinah" from 1962! The song was introduced originally by Nat King Cole in 1956.

Into White
    Carly Simon's refreshing vocals are complimented by soft acoustic instrumentation and a wonderfully understated arrangement on her performance of "Blackbird". This song was written by Lennon & McCartney and introduced by The Beatles in 1968 on The White Album.

I Love You
    Diana Ross' sensitve performances and gentle productions highlight this collection of romantic love songs by Ms. Ross. Included is the classic Lennon & McCartney composition, "I Will", introduced by The Beatles in 1968 on The White Album.

Ray Sings - Basie Swings
    Ray Charles and Count Basie are at their singing-swinging best in this amazing collection of big band covers of some of Ray Charles' most popular recordings.

"Busted" written by renowned Country music songwriter, Harlan Howard, was a Country hit for Johnny Cash in 1963. Ray picked it up and reached #3 and #4 in Billboard's R&B and Pop Music charts that same year.

"Crying Time" written by Country music's own Buck Owens and released by him as a "B" side in 1966. Ray covered it and reached #5 and #6 in Billboard's R&B and Pop Music charts and #1 for 3 weeks on the Adult Contemporary chart that same year.

"I Can't Stop Loving You" written by the legendary Country music singer and songwriter, Don Gibson, is undoubtedly Ray Charles' biggest hit in his prestigious and longstanding career. It reached #1 for 5 weeks in Billboard's Pop chart, #1 for 3 weeks in the Adult Contemporary chart and #1 for 10 weeks in the R&B chart in 1962.

"The Long and Winding Road", written by John Lennon & Paul McCartney, was a #1 hit for The Beatles in 1970. While Ray Charles never released it as a single he had great admiration for the Lennon & McCartney catalog and included many of their songs on other albums and singles.

Still The Same: Great Rock Classics Of Our Time
    Rod Stewart's cover of "Everything I Own" is one of the featured cuts on this new album. It was written by David Gates and was a major hit for Bread in 1971 reaching #3 on both Billboard's Hot 100 and Adult Contemporary charts that same year. Rod's new treatment is inspired and refreshing.

Duets: An American Classic
    Tony Bennett and Country music super-star Tim McGraw sing the Country-Pop Standard, "Cold, Cold Heart". Written and recorded by Hank Williams, Sr., it was a major hit for Hank in 1951 (#1 Country, #27 Pop). Tony covered the Hank Williams recording and reached #1 on Billboard's Pop Music chart and held that position for 6 weeks that same year!

Take The Weather With You
    Jimmy Buffett, Margaritaville's favorite son, features "Bama Breeze" written by Sony/ATV Music exclusive writer Josh Kear, and "Silver Wings" written and recorded in 1969 by the recipient of this year's BMI Icon award, Merle Haggard. Although it was never released as a single, it nevertheless became one of Haggard's best known songs.

All Jacked Up
    Gretchen Wilson steps out of her role as Country music's reigning Redneck Woman to deliver an amazing performance of the early 1946 Billie Holiday classic, "Good Morning Heartache".

The Greatest Songs of the Sixties
    Barry Manilow brings his own special touch to the timeless Lennon & McCartney love song, "And I Love Her". Released as a single by The Beatles in 1964, the song has now logged over 4 million performances.

Gold: A 50th Anniversary Christmas
    Johnny Mathis This wonderful aniversary collection of Johnny's most popular Christmas songs includes the classic Robert Wells and Mel Tormé composition, "The Christmas Song" also known as "Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire".

Songbird
    Willie Nelson sings Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah", one of Leonard's most covered songs; Harlan Howard's "Yours Love" made famous by Waylon Jennings in 1968; and Willie's own "Sad Songs and Waltzes".

Hooker
    John Lee Hooker This amazing gathering of 84 performances by this legendary blues guitarist, writer and singer includes recordings from 1929 through 1998. Opening the collection is John Lee's classic #1 R&B hit from 1949, "Boogie Chillen'." Closing the collection is John Lee's re-record performance of same with legendary rock guitarist, writer and singer Eric Clapton.

Before Me
    Gladys Knight joins with renowned record producers, Tommy LiPuma and Phil Ramone and the renowned sound/mixing engineer extraordinaire Al Schmitt to deliver wonderful Jazz performances of the songs that were Gladys' earliest musical influences. Every single song here is already a bona fide hit, and Knight does them all justice in a way few soul singers could. Wonderfully relaxing, classy, and pleasantly void of vocal histrionics. Featured in this collection is Gladys' singing the early 1946 Billie Holiday classic, "Good Morning Heartache".
    http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/190

Reuter, 17 Apr 2008

Jet Magazine, Nov 1995

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Is this the kinda stuff? I am afraid I am messing up your sequence. You are doing January first it looks like.

http://billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_d...e1230ed1?imw=Y
    Sony/ATV Music Publishing Inks Rotem
    September 03, 2007 - Publishing

By Susan Butler, N.Y.

Sony/ATV Music Publishing has signed a worldwide co-publishing deal with Jonathan "JR" Rotem, who produced and co-wrote Sean Kingston's No. 1 hit "Beautiful Girls" and Rihanna's No. 1 "SOS."

Kingston is the first artist signed to Rotem's label, Beluga Heights, a venture with Epic Records. Charting songs co-written by Rotem, who lives in Los Angeles, also include 50 Cent's "Best Friend" featuring Olivia, Lil' Kim's "Whoa" and Rick Ross' "Push It." He has also penned songs for Natasha Bedingfield, Destiny's Child, Snoop Dogg and many others.

"JR is a proven producer, writer, and someone with a great eye for talent," says Sony/ATV chairman/CEO Marty Bandier. "We are proud to count JR as the newest member of our family."

"Beautiful Girls" includes portions of "Stand By Me," a copyright now controlled by Sony/ATV after its acquisition of the Leiber and Stoller catalog earlier this year.
    ---Michael Jackson

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eternitys_child View Post
    Is this the kinda stuff? I am afraid I am messing up your sequence. You are doing January first it looks like.
    doesn't matter.. thanks.. and I am just reading it 1st time too about that deal...

keep it coming..
    Last edited by Rasta Pasta; 28-12-2007 at 05:19 PM.

Reuter, 17 Apr 2008

Jet Magazine, Nov 1995

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Very good thread RastaPasta. To be honest I always look forward to your updates and info on Sony/MJ cat. The whole thing kinda goes over my head a bit! :lol: I am afraid I don't have anything to add. But its great to have a thread to come too and learn more from you folks.