about sales thriller 25

otb

Proud Member
taken from billboard.com...

Ask Billboard is updated every Friday. Submit your burning music questions to Keith Caulfield at askbb@billboard.com.

'THRILLING' NUMBERS

Keith,

With three versions of Michael Jackson's "Thriller 25" on sale next week (Feb. 12), how will overall sales of the album be calculated?

Checking on Amazon.com's top seller list, it looks like each version of the album is counted separately in their overall sales chart, as they have different SKUs.

How will Nielsen SoundScan do the math? And taking it even one step further, will sales of the anniversary album added to the overall sales of the original album, bringing it a step closer in overtaking the Eagles' greatest hits album (as the best selling album of all time in the U.S.)?

Joseph Yenish
Scotch Plains, N.J.

Hi Joseph,

All of the expanded versions of "Thriller" will have their sales combined with the existing sales of the original 1982 album. At the end of the day, there will only be one number to represent the sales of "Thriller."

This is not unusual. Many albums are reissued with bonus content from a few months after the original album's release to many years later. For the most part, Billboard and Nielsen SoundScan will have the sales of the various permutations of an album merged together.

It would nice to see how high it would be on Amazon if all those were combined already there.. Could we request Amazon would do that?

thats strange im sure i read something different about this same issue on another artist. ah well i guess thats good.

so wait will that mean it enters the charts as having sold ,what 27 mill?

Currently it seems like "Thriller 25" is going to chart highly in Germany. Top 10 is possible.

("The Essential Michael Jackson" charted at #10 in Germany in 2005
compared to "Number Ones" which charted at #16 in Germany in 2003)

Last edited:
I can't wait to know it's first week sales..

Will the sales from "Thriller 25'th anniversary" around the world boost the 104 million record?

Last edited:
Back