Off The Wall 30th Anniversary Essay by me

mj_brainiac

Proud Member
3643519164_9696869f7e.jpg

Intro:

As we mourn the loss of The Greatest Entertainer of All Time, I decided to finish this essay to pay tribute to the man who made me fall in love with music and dance. I started it in May2009 and intended to post it on July 28th 2009, the 30 th anniversary of the single release of Don' Stop Til You Get Enough, but with the recent events, I thought this was the right time.

Back in Christmas 1992, I was 5 years old and being the kid I was, I was never really into toys, but wanted cassettes. For that particular Christmas, my mom and god sister gave me 3 presents:

The Jackson 5's Greatest Hits
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker video game for Sega Genesis

and Off The Wall

I played that cassette so much that the tape literally fell apart. I fall in love with every time I play it. The vocals, the rhythm arrangements, the lyrics.....it's all JUST RIGHT

That album along with Thriller, cemented me being a fan of Michael Jackson.

I'll never forget the feeling I got the first time I heard Rock With You in full and I Can't Help It, or dancing to Burn This Disco Out and Get On The Floor

I wanted to make people feel the same way Michael and his music made ME feel, ever since that day

so thank you Michael Joesph Jackson

thank you for making my life alot happier

On December 4th, 1978, 20 year old Michael Joe Jackson took a break from planning the release of The Jacksons' third LP on Epic Records titled "Destiny", to start production on his fifith solo effort.

Going into the studio with producer Quincy Jones, they set out on making an album that blended genres while bringing something new to the platform of pop and R&B music.

Destiny was released on December 17th and Michael and his brothers quickly went into promotion, appearing on such shows such as American Bandstand, Soul Train, and Top of The Pops as well as touring Europe and the United States, all the while, Jackson would catch flights back to Los Angeles to studios such as Cherokee Studios, Allen Zenth Recording, and Westlake Audio to continue recording for the solo project which was at the time titled "Girlfriend"

In the beginning, Michael was not exactly sure what he wanted as the final product but one thing he knew was that he didn't want to sound like a Jacksons album and strived for the individual and creative freedom that a solo album granted him, which was not something he had on his previous solo efforts at Motown, which were recorded at the same time his albums with The Jackson 5 were being recorded, even during the same sessions (for example, songs from Forever, Michael were recorded during the same session as songs from Moving Violation)

Michael began writing songs for the album around late 1977 after the filming of "The Wiz" and two of the songs from those early writing sessions were included on the album "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" and "Workin' Day And Night", which early demos were recorded in 1978 with the help of his younger siblings Randy, then 17 and Janet, then 12 at the family's home recording studio at Hayvenhurst.

Another key writer on the album was Rod Temperton, who had been working on an album with Heatwave when Jones called him to write some songs for Michael.

Rod told him he’d write a song, and wrote 3 songs for Michael and Quincy to choose from. The duo booked a studio on the weekend when Rod wasn’t working with HW. Rod flew in (while Michael wasn’t there, most likely working promoting the Destiny album) to work on the tracks. He came back to Los Angeles the following week to work with Michael on the vocals, doing all of the background vocals for Rock With You, Burn This Disco Out, and Off The Wall that Saturday afternoon and all of the lead vocals the next afternoon. Michael spent the whole Saturday night learning the lyrics so he wouldn’t have to read off the paper.

The first session with Rod, Quincy asked him what musicians did he need to record the tracks, and Rod told him he would need 2 guitar players, a keyboard player, drummer, and a bass player. When he arrived to the studio, Quincy took him to the room with the musicians and told them “Here’s Rod, hit it!” This had been Rod’s first time without his own band.. Temperton had been in Heatwave for sometime and had gotten used to that environment and this was new atmosphere for him. He recalled feeling inadequate being in the studio when Jerry Hey and the other horns players arrived. At the end of the sessions, Temperton asked Quincy which songs had they picked, and Jones told him they wanted all 3. Temperton recalls Jackson singing uptempo grooves was very rhythmically driven and tried to write melodies with short notes to give him enough staccato, along with mixing them with enough harmonies.

Temperton took a different approach to his song writing after spending some time researching the background to Jackson's music style. Temperton mixed his traditional harmony segments with the idea of adding shorter note melodies to suit Jackson's aggressive style.

Other key contributors were Greg Philiganes who had worked on The Jacksons' Destiny album and would go on to collaborate with Michael on Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, and tour with him for the Victory, Bad, Dangerous, and HIStory Tour., The Brothers Johnson, especially Louis Johnson who co-wrote Get On The Floor with Michael which was created around the bass groove. Johnson had been playing around with it when he played it for Michael. He liked it, they went into the studio and collaborated on the song

other contributors included Stevie Wonder (co-writer of I Can't Help It with former Supremes Susaye Greene), David Foster and Carole Bayer Sager (It's The Falling In Love), Paul McCartney (writer of Girlfriend who would later record The Girl Is Mine, Say Say Say, and The Man with Michael in 1982), and Tom Bahler(writer of She's Out Of My Life)

The album did have obstacles. The recording of the album coincided with the European tour of The Jacksons' Destiny World Tour and the promotion of the Destiny album. Many observers feel that maybe Quincy's role in the production of the album has been overexaggerated.

Quincy's main role of the album was quality control, cutting down extra instrumentation and runs and getting particular people in the production. He was the person who got people like Temperton, The Johnsons, John Robinson from Rufus, and Patti Austin on board.
As time went on, Michael felt the direction of the album should be more dance and funk oriented but Quincy wanted a strict, conservative yet versatile album and the duo butted heads over the overall direction, comprising, and finding constant solutions.

Quincy also knew about balance and editing the album to fit the direction, which showed on the final result.

At the end of June 1979, audio mixing was handled by Bruce Swedien at Westlake Audio, after which the original tapes went to the A&M Recording Studio, also located in L.A. for mastering by Bernie Grunman.

OFF THE WALL initially debuted at #48 on the Billboard 200 but peaked at #3 26 weeks later, staying in the top 10 for 29 non consecutive weeks and stayed on the chart for over 2 years. It also peaked at #1 on the Billboard R&B album chart for 16 weeks, along with peaking at #5 on the UK album charts, selling over 19 million copies worldwide, making it the best selling album by a black artist of all time, for 3 years.

Billboard Album 200: #3
Billboard R&B Album- #1 (for 16 weeks)
UK Album Chart: #5
Australia- #1 (for 2 weeks)
Canada- #4
Finland- #9
France- # 27 (1988)
Germany- #25
Holland- #7
Ireland- #12 (2004)
Italy- #21
Japan- #26 (LP), #28 (cassette)
New Zealand- #2
Norway- #4
Sweden- #26
Zimbabwe- #1 (for 7 weeks)

Awards

American Music Awards
Favorite Male Soul Artist
Favorite Soul Album - Off The Wall
Favorite Soul Single - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

Grammy Awards
Best R&B Performance - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

Billboard Awards
Top Black Artist
Top Black Album - Off The Wall

Cashbox
Soul Album of the Year - Off The Wall

American Music Awards
Favorite Album (Soul/R&B) - Off The Wall
Favorite Male Vocalist - Soul/R&B

Cashbox
Soul Album of the Year - Off The Wall

British Phonographic Industry Awards
Off The Wall Album

NAACP Image Awards
Best Singing Group

Thank you for posting this, it was a great read, a fantastic essay.

Off The Wall has now reached a new peak position in Ireland at No.11. It's also due to reach a new peak position in the UK this week too.

DO NOT REPOST THIS ANYWHERE ELSE UNLESS YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION

single_dstyge.jpg

don_t_stop_till_you_get_enough_edit.jpg

DON’T STOP TIL YOU GET ENOUGH
Written by Michael Jackson
Produced by Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones
Rhythm arrangement by Michael Jackson and Greg Philliganes
Vocal and percussion arrangements by Michael Jackson

Released- July 28, 1979

l_9df1c690aa8dadc21cd713375a821870.jpg

Michael had written the song in early 1978 and recorded the demo in the family home studio in Encino with brother, 17 year old Randy and sister 12 year old Janet assisting him on the music. Originally coming with the concept while in the kitchen and couldn’t shake it off. He had his brother Randy play the melody on the piano. Michael’s mother, Katherine was taken aback by the lyrical content but was reassured by Michael that it wasn’t a reference to sex.

The song is abit reminiscent of Enjoy Yourself and Shake Your Body Down To The Ground in terms of lyrical content and meaning, but Don’t Stop stands miles ahead of both. From the minimalist bassline to the rhythm guitar sounding is if it is chopping at the song’s melody. It also remiscient of the Wall of Sound recordings.

Greg Philliganes on the clavinet responding to the melody and the synth solo in the breakdown is a true highlight of the song.

2yvt4ko.jpg

Performed on the 1979-1980 Destiny Tour, 1981 Triumph Tour. Michael included a part of the second verse while performing Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground) during the first leg of the Bad Tour. Was part of the Off The Wall medley during the first leg of the HIStory Tour

2zno2v7.jpg

Mixes
Album Version
7’ Edit
7’ Edit without Intro
Long/Extended Version
Original 1978 Home Demo Recording
Masters At Work Remix
Roger’s Underground Club Solution

CHART STATS
Billboard Hot 100: #1
Billboard R&B: #1 (for 5 weeks) (#28 recurrent in Jan 09)
Billboard Hot Airplay- #5
Billboard Hot Sales- #1
Billboard Dance Club Play- #2
UK- #3 (#17 in 2006)
Australia- #1 (for 3 weeks)
Austria- #11
Belgium- #2
Canada- #3
Denmark- #2
Finland- #6
France- #11 (#52 in 2006 and #54 in 2008)
Germany- #13
Holland- #2
Ireland- #10
Italy- #16 (#6 in 2006)
Japan- #82
New Zealand- #1 (for 4 weeks)
Norway- #1 (for 2 weeks)
South Africa- #1 (for 5 weeks)
Spain- #6 (#2 in 2006)
Sweden- #18
Switzerland- #4
Zimbabwe- #1

Thanks for posting the info about Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough.

Off The Wall has reached a UK peak position of No.3 now.

ROCK WITH YOU
Written by Rod Temperton

rockwithyou.jpg

mjjrockwithyou.jpg

Conceived from a rhythm section that Temperton had previously, he felt it was just right for Michael who had a way of handling melodic themes.

80_jam01.jpg

The light, laid back yet very tight keyboarding is one of the songs many shining moments

The original title of the song was “Eat You Up”, but was changed to fit with Michael’s image at the time.

008101264.jpg

The song is harmonically complex composition, but flows effortlessly
Months after the initial release, Michael went back and produced a slightly enhanced version of the song for the single release adding another guitar part, handclaps, and more reverb, which also replaced the original version on later pressings.

Performed during the 1979/1980 Destiny Tour, the 1981 Triumph Tour, 1984 Victory Tour, and 1987-89 Bad World Tour. It was to be on the setlist during the Dangerous Tour, but omitted before the tour launched. Also part of the Off The Wall medley during the HIStory Tour

Mixes
Original Album Version
Single Version/ 1980 album version
Frankie’s Favorite Club Mix
Frankie’s Favorite Club Mix Radio Edit
Masters At Work Remix

Billboard Hot 100- #1 (for 4 weeks)
Billboard R&B- #1 (for 6 weeks)
Billboard Hot Airplay- #2
Billboard Hot Sales- #1
UK- #7
Australia- #4
Canada- #3
France- #59 (in 2006)
Germany- #58
Holland- #22 (in 2006)
Ireland- #11 (#19 in 2006)
Italy- #9 (in 2006)
Japan- #97
New Zealand- #3
Spain- #1 (in 2006)

Last edited:
SHE’S OUT OF MY LIFE
Written by Tom Bahler
Produced by Quincy Jones and Michael Jackson

mjjsooml.jpg

Written by Tom Bahler after Karen Carpenter broke up with him upon discovering he had fathered a child with another woman. This song is a fine example Michael Jackson the vocalist is. The song speaks of a lost love after one makes too many mistakes and takes her for granted. The raw and gut wrenching lyrics joined with Michael’s vulnerable and heartbroken vocals, make this song one of the ultimate break songs.

One Okayplayer member remarked of the song “Yeah, this is not the song to play as hold music for the suicide hotline”

MIXES
Album Version

Billboard Hot 100- #10
Billboard R&B- #43
Billboard Hot Airplay- #10
Billboard Hot Sales- #14
UK- #3
Australia- #17
Canada- #15
Denmark- #19
Holland- #13
Ireland- #4
New Zealand- #6

Last edited:
OFF THE WALL
Written by Rod Temperton
Released in February 2, 1980

mjjoffthewall.jpg

The song’s intro is quite reminiscent of the introduction to 1982’s Thriller, with the haunting falsetto vocals and the errie laugh

The chorus backgrounds display multi tracking at it’s finest

Chorus
So tonight gotta leave that nine to five upon the shelf
And just enjoy yourself
Groove, let the madness in the music get to you
Life aint so bad at all
If you live it off the wall
Life aint so bad at all (live life off the wall)
Live your life off the wall (live it off the wall)

The melody created by the vocals is shows influence by Jackson’s lifelong friend Stevie Wonder’s use of the method with songs such as “It Ain’t No Use” and “You’ve Got It Bad Girl”

The lyrical content of the title track: Forget your problems, Forget work, forget the obstacles, just join the party and have the time of one’s life, revolves many times on the album, from Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough, Rock With You, Get On The Floor, and Burn This Disco Out. This particular idea has quite absent in Jackson’s work post 1980...and sorely missed

Mixes
Remix
7’ Remix
Junior Vasquez Mix
Instrumental -
Basement Jaxx Mix
Jellybean Remix

Billboard Hot 100- # 10
Billboard R&B- #5
Billboard Hot Airplay- #9
Billboard Hot Sales- # 6
UK- #7
Australia- #94
Canada- #11
Denmark- #23
Holland- #18
Ireland- #20
Japan- #70
New Zealand- #14
Norway- #4
South Africa- #20
Sweden- #9
Zimbabwe- #14

Last edited:
WORKIN’ DAY AND NIGHT
Written by Michael Jackson

Originally written for The Jacksons’ Destiny album, Michael held it back from his brothers because he felt they wouldn’t like the track. The song “Things I Do For You” and “All Night Dancin’” from the Destiny Tour, are both very similar to Workin’ Day And Night in some aspects.
In the demo recorded in early 1978, the song was recorded with Michael and his brother Randy sharing lead vocals with assistance from sister Janet. Michael’s other brothers can be heard in the facility in the recording also.

The song was slightly sped up for the final recording in mid 1979. An instrumental was also produced by never released.

Much like the production of Don’t Stop Til You Get Enough, the song driven by the wall of sound percussion, blending different rhythms, making a new one. If you hear the background mix of the Workin, you’ll hear many different grooves, mixing themselves together

It was performed on the 1981 Triumph Tour, 1984 Victory Tour, 1987-89 Bad Tour, and the first 2 legs of the Dangerous Tour but later taken off the set list in favor of Dangerous and due to Michael’s health issues at the time

GIRLFRIEND
-
Written by Paul McCartney

The song, about the “other man” teasing his girlfriend that he’s going to expose their escapades to her true boyfriend, if she doesn’t.

Suprisingly, the light and breezy number has never been a fan favorite and is Michael’s fourth lowest charting single in the UK

UK- #41
New Zealand- #49

IT’S THE FALLING IN LOVE
Written by David Foster and Carole Bayer Sager
The flirty ballad about wanting to resist temptaion and giving in to your undying emotions.

It’s one of Michael’s best duets, sharing the lead vocals with the legendary Patti Austin.

Performed at the Budweiser Superfest in 1982 with Patti Austin, performing It’s The Falling In Love

Album Version

Wow, now this is something I've been thinking about today: I'd love to learn all about Mike's work, what songs he wrote, how he thought certain instruments should sound, everything.

Thanks for posting this. I love how you went into detail with each song from the album. I still have the 45 of 'Don't Stop...,' and love how it's been played to the hilt. I used to play that song repeatedly until one of my friends said, "can't you play something different, geeze, I wanna go out side and play!" What did he expect, I was a 7 year old girl developing my first crush on one of the Jackson's and I loved that song! lol Aww the memories.

I love the idea of how the liked to work with different rhythms, something Mike made a point of when he worked on 'Billie Jean.' I think they added two different peats..love that! Crafting something, experimenting, like Michael mentioned, manipulating the sound.

Thanks again for teaching about Mike's music. I can never stop learning from the man who inspired me to make my own music. I'm glade he inspired you too. :)

GET ON THE FLOOR
written by Michael Jackson and Louis Johnson

This funky and magnetic dance number originated from a created around the bass groove Johnson had been playing around with when he played it for Michael in the studio. He liked it, they went into the studio and collaborated on the song

Because Jones didn't have much experience with dance tracks, Greg Philliganes and Michael worked together on building a thicker "wall of sound" in Quincy's studio

Louis Johnson, the co-writer of the song, collaborated by helping Michael with a smooth bass arrangement for Michael to ride on with the verses to come in stronger each time

Although it wasn't released as a single, it was one of Michael's favorite songs from the album

Original LP Version
7’ Version (Later Replaced the album mix)

its taken me like 8 years to really appreciate this album lol, just this week i have been listening to the entire album so much, i didn't listen to it much in the past 8 years, the songs are actually wonderful, i always liked it, but this week its become my favorite album of the moment!

definitely tied at my NUMBER ONE FAVORITE ALBUM OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for this information, I learned alot of new things. Off The Wall is my favourite MJ album of all times.

mj brainiac - what absolutely wonderful work you have done here.

This is the kind of work we want to do as part of the Legacy project.

Bless you for taking the time and effort to present this information.

Nancii

The OTW30 project is still considered by Sony Music.
Hopefully more about that in months to come after the AEG aftermath.

Get On The Floor is one of my favorites too, The Brothers Johnson are great...too bad it wasn't released.

Back