Michael To Be Honored as largest donor in the T.J. Martell Foundation’s history

Cinnamon234

Proud Member
Willie Nelson to headline T.J. Martell Foundation gala
Oct. 28 Benefit at Hilton New York to remember Michael Jackson as largest single donor in foundation's 34 years

Published: Oct 4th, 8:38 PM

MADISON ‑ On the heels of its Oct. 4 annual walkathon in Madison, the T.J. Martell Foundation will hold its 34th annual Awards Gala, a celebratory evening of fund-raising to support research for cures and treatments for leukemia, cancer and AIDS, on Wednesday, Oct. 28, at the Hilton New York Hotel.

Bringing together leaders from a variety of industries, the T.J. Martell Foundation’s annual Awards Gala serves to provide recognition for humanitarian work, and to raise funds for innovative research and treatments in the fight against leukemia, cancer and AIDS.

he T.J. Martell Foundation was founded in 1975. T.J. Martell, son of music industry executive Tony Martell of Madison, was a young victim of leukemia. Before his death at 21, he convinced his father to promise he would raise $1 million to fight the disease. Since then, the foundation in T.J. Martell’s name has provided more than $225 million for research.

“For 34 years, we have raised funds for groundbreaking leukemia, cancer and AIDS research,” said Tony Martell, who created the foundation. “The proceeds from our Gala will allow us to provide our research facilities with the funds vital to their scientific achievement.”

Country music legend Willie Nelson will headline this year’s event with jazz great Dianne Reeves and up-and-coming artist Kristina Train, and the Gala will pay a special posthumous tribute, its first-ever Legend award, to the late Michael Jackson, the single largest donor in the T.J. Martell Foundation’s 34-year history.

http://www.recordernewspapers.com/a...gle/latest_news/doc4ac94003d74d6297185410.txt

-Always great to read some good news about MJ for a change! I only wished they had honored him when he was alive, but I love that at least they are honoring Michael. He was so caring and giving. He really deserves it.

Finally he is getting the recognition he should have received ages ago!
Thanks for posting the article.

Better now than never :yes: Michael would be so happy.

That' great!! But it should have happened a long time ago, so sad that it happened after his death..but better now then never!

Beautiful news. Was about time the man's humanitarian work got the praise it deserved.

Although he knew he need not advertise his good deeds (his left hand wasn't supposed to know what the right did, as it is written in the good book), I have the feeling time will expose the full extent of Michael's love for humanity and all he has done expressing it.

This is absolutely wonderful news.

Michael's heart was so warm and generous.

The TJ Martell Foundation Legend Award: Posthumous Tribute to Michael Jackson

In Memoriam

123.jpg

The T.J. Martell Foundation extends our sincere condolences to Michael Jackson's family, friends and fans worldwide. Michael was a friend of the Foundation, and the single largest donor in our 34-year history. At our Annual Awards Gala in 1984, he presented Tony Martell with a check for $500,000.

Later that year, during a press conference at Tavern On The Green, Michael announced that a portion of the earnings from the Victory Tour would be donated to the T.J. Martell Foundation, which amounted to another $100,000 to support the cancer and AIDS research we fund.

"Michael was a very shy young man," remembers Founder and Chairman Tony Martell. "And he never wanted his good deeds made public. The night he presented me with a check at the Gala, I wanted to announce it but he wouldn't let me. We are very grateful for his generous support and know his legacy of philanthropy will live on."

Newsletter
July/August 2009 Edition
T.J. Martell Foundation

Last edited:
Heartwarming news to hear, Michael would be so appreciative. Sure it would've been great while he was still here, but I say better late than never. I wonder if this will be one of the charities that will continue to benefit from MJ's Will?

Hopefully, the usual suspects won't be the ones accepting on his behalf.

You are right!
This could be have done so much earlier.
But nice they give Michael the credit he deserves.

Michael didn't want to be acknowledged in public for his humanitarian work. They probably wanted to do this but he wouldn't let them. He was a great man but also a very humble man.

Last edited:
^^^
That's true...he often did most of his humanitarian deeds without cameras involved. Still it's good that they are honoring him in this way. I do think he was proud of being in the Guiness Book of World Records for Most Charities Supported by a Popstar among other things...he often spoke about that. Not to be boastful, but just to remind the press that he wasn't the damn monster they made him out to be.

^^Thats correct....according to the article.

Edit* I see KJ777 got in there before me. Lol!
-Always great to read some good news about MJ for a change! I only wished they had honored him when he was alive, but I love that at least they are honoring Michael. He was so caring and giving. He really deserves it.
:(
At least they didnt forget about him and his generosity.

Great news, wish he was here to see it. :(
So do I.
And it is great news...a great cause as well.
Beautiful news. Was about time the man's humanitarian work got the praise it deserved.

Although he knew he need not advertise his good deeds (his left hand wasn't supposed to know what the right did, as it is written in the good book), I have the feeling time will expose the full extent of Michael's love for humanity and all he has done expressing it.

Well said. And it makes me think about the other humanitarian award
presented to Michael by Beyonce in 2003 at the RMA's.
I cant remember exactly the cause behind that one.
The TJ Martell Foundation Legend Award: Posthumous Tribute to Michael Jackson

In Memoriam

123.jpg

The T.J. Martell Foundation extends our sincere condolences to Michael Jackson's family, friends and fans worldwide. Michael was a friend of the Foundation, and the single largest donor in our 34-year history. At our Annual Awards Gala in 1984, he presented Tony Martell with a check for $500,000.

Later that year, during a press conference at Tavern On The Green, Michael announced that a portion of the earnings from the Victory Tour would be donated to the T.J. Martell Foundation, which amounted to another $100,000 to support the cancer and AIDS research we fund.

"Michael was a very shy young man," remembers Founder and Chairman Tony Martell. "And he never wanted his good deeds made public. The night he presented me with a check at the Gala, I wanted to announce it but he wouldn't let me. We are very grateful for his generous support and know his legacy of philanthropy will live on."

Newsletter July/August 2009 Edition
T.J. Martell Foundation
I love that! He didnt want to flaunt his good deeds.
Great article, thanks again. :)

*Quietly* I miss him so much.

Back