Daily News - October 15, 2009 [ Lots of interesting stuff! ]

MsSnoop

Proud Member
New Janet & Michael Jackson duet being released

janet-jackson_320.jpg

Janet Jackson has teamed up with her brother Michael from beyond the grave to record a new track for her upcoming greatest hits compilation.
The siblings duetted on hit dance track 'Scream', which also appears on the new Number Ones album, but few fans knew the pair had collaborated on another tune, titled 'Make Me', which will close the two-CD set.
Very little is known about the new track, apart from the fact it was recorded last year.

Jackson's new hits package will be released in November.

http://www.3news.co.nz/New-Janet--M...abid/418/articleID/125556/cat/55/Default.aspx

****************************************​

AEG privately predicting "$250m in first five days"

Examiner.com -
According to Nikke Finke's Deadline Hollywood, Sony's forthcoming Michael Jackson movie, 'This is it', could make as much as $250m in its first five days. ...

Michael Jackson-Penned Posthumous Comic Book Drawing Fair Chatter

By Rachel Deahl -- Publishers Weekly

While there was some question as to the foot traffic in the rights center during the first day of the 2009 Frankfurt Book Fair—one American noted the sparse number of occupied mailboxes as a sign that the fair is sluggish while another pointed to full tables as a sign it’s business as usual—a handful of titles were drawing buzz, and some high advances, after the close of day one.

One book generating lots of conversation is a graphic novel project by the King of Pop. Yes, you read that correctly. Apparently Michael Jackson was working on a comic book for years with friend (and son of Deepak) Gotham Chopra and now Random House’s Villard imprint is prepping to release the fruits of this seemingly unlikely collaboration. The book, Fated, is about a Jackson-esque pop icon named Gabriel Star whose fame has left him isolated and emotionally cut-off. After a suicidal swan dive from his hotel one night, Star survives only to see his celebrity grow and discover that he’s becoming, per the publisher, “something not quite human.” No word yet from Random House on foreign sales, but we hear the house is showing bits of the book to foreign houses. The title’s slated for a June 2010 hardcover U.S. release—the art’s black and white and the book is small format—and Mukesh Singh is illustrating.

article-1200282-00EEBD2700000190-524_468x316.jpg

Calling All Zombies! Learn 'Thriller' Dance and Break the Record

Bristol Herald Courier

GATLINBURG, Tenn. – Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies will host “Thrill The World,” a worldwide attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the largest simultaneous dance with Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” on Oct. 24 at 8:30 p.m. Thousands of people in cities around the world will learn the “Thriller” dance and perform it in Gatlinburg.

Actress Ola Ray, who was best known for Jackson’s girlfriend in “Thriller,” the most popular video of all times, will lead the dancers in the “Thrill The World” dance at the aquarium.

Ray will be in the area on Oct. 24-25 at the Grand Resort Hotel and Convention Center in Pigeon Forge as part of Adventurecon.com, Tennessee’s largest pop culture and collectors show which features dozens of celebrities.

In 2008, 4,179 people at 72 events in 71 cities in 10 nations participated in “Thrill the World.” Michael Jackson viewed the event in Los Angeles from a helicopter. The largest “Thriller” current record of 881 zombies danced in Austin, Texas on Oct. 25, 2008.

Eleven other cities participated with more than 100 dancers in each city including: Seattle, Austin, Texas; Washington; Los Angeles; Bolton, England; Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada and more. Gatlinburg was recruited to be one of the participating cities in “Thrill The World” in 2009.
“We are really excited to host this international event at the aquarium and would like everyone to come and participate in the “Thriller” dance so we can help break the world-record,” said Ryan DeSear, general manager of Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies.

Thriller Dance workshops will be taught at Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies in Gatlinburg each Tuesday at 6 p.m. during October or you can learn the dance free online at http://www.thrilltheworld.com/learn/videos.

****************************************​

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1953 - Toriano Adaryl (Tito Jackson) was born.​

1996 - Superior Court Judge Reginald Dunn ruled that Victor Gutierrez must pay Michael Jackson damages for refusing to identify the source that had shown him a video of Jackson allegedly having sex with a 13-year-old boy.​

michael-jackson-young.jpg

Re: Daily News - October 15, 2009

This week's cover: An exclusive first look at the new Michael Jackson movie

mjackson-1072_l.jpg

When tickets for Michael Jackson’s This Is It went on sale on Sept. 27, hundreds of shows around the globe sold out in less than 24 hours, without anyone knowing quite what it even was — a concert movie? A documentary? “It’s somewhere in between,” says Sony Pictures co-chair Amy Pascal of the film, which consists of behind-the-scenes footage of Jackson rehearsing for his planned comeback concerts at London’s O2 arena. “It’s a movie about rehearsing for a concert that never happened. It’s heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time. It gives you chills.”

Now, with the October 28th worldwide release of the movie fast approaching, the late pop star’s collaborators open up about working with Jackson during his precarious last days. At age 50 Jackson hadn’t toured in more than a decade, but while his team worried at times about his health, his imagination was as active as ever.

In fact, as the production got under way, it quickly became clear that Jackson’s creative ambitions for the concerts were beyond anything he’d ever attempted. With the budget already past $24 million, Jackson told his team he wanted to recreate one of the world’s largest waterfalls — Victoria Falls in southern Africa — on the stage. “I was ready to jump off the balcony of my office,” says Randy Phillips, president of the concert promotion firm AEG Live. “We went and met with Michael, and [director] Kenny [Ortega] said, ‘Michael, you’ve got to stop. We’ve got an incredible show, we don’t need any more vignettes.’ Michael said, ‘But Kenny, God channels this through me at night. I can’t sleep because I’m so supercharged.’ Kenny said, ‘But Michael, we have to finish. Can’t God take a vacation?’ Without missing a beat, Michael said, ‘You don’t understand — if I’m not there to receive these ideas, God might give them to Prince.’ ”

For more on the upcoming Michael Jackson movie, including exclusive photos, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly on stands Friday, October 16th

http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/10/15/this-weeks-cover-michael-jackson-this-is-it/

To Prince?? Wooww .........

^^ that was probably said tongue-in-cheek!

You don’t understand — if I’m not there to receive these ideas, God might give them to Prince.’ ”

So now Prince might get the ideas from God since MJ is no longer there???

Hmm let us wait for the new Prince album I´m curious to know how it will sound.......

More to the point.... is that another rehearsal pic that we've not seen before?

This week's cover: An exclusive first look at the new Michael Jackson movie

mjackson-1072_l.jpg

When tickets for Michael Jackson’s This Is It went on sale on Sept. 27, hundreds of shows around the globe sold out in less than 24 hours, without anyone knowing quite what it even was — a concert movie? A documentary? “It’s somewhere in between,” says Sony Pictures co-chair Amy Pascal of the film, which consists of behind-the-scenes footage of Jackson rehearsing for his planned comeback concerts at London’s O2 arena. “It’s a movie about rehearsing for a concert that never happened. It’s heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time. It gives you chills.”

Now, with the October 28th worldwide release of the movie fast approaching, the late pop star’s collaborators open up about working with Jackson during his precarious last days. At age 50 Jackson hadn’t toured in more than a decade, but while his team worried at times about his health, his imagination was as active as ever.

In fact, as the production got under way, it quickly became clear that Jackson’s creative ambitions for the concerts were beyond anything he’d ever attempted. With the budget already past $24 million, Jackson told his team he wanted to recreate one of the world’s largest waterfalls — Victoria Falls in southern Africa — on the stage. “I was ready to jump off the balcony of my office,” says Randy Phillips, president of the concert promotion firm AEG Live. “We went and met with Michael, and [director] Kenny [Ortega] said, ‘Michael, you’ve got to stop. We’ve got an incredible show, we don’t need any more vignettes.’ Michael said, ‘But Kenny, God channels this through me at night. I can’t sleep because I’m so supercharged.’ Kenny said, ‘But Michael, we have to finish. Can’t God take a vacation?’ Without missing a beat, Michael said, ‘You don’t understand — if I’m not there to receive these ideas, God might give them to Prince.’ 

For more on the upcoming Michael Jackson movie, including exclusive photos, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly on stands Friday, October 16th

http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/10/15/this-weeks-cover-michael-jackson-this-is-it/

That is the funniest thing I have read. MJ was so competitive.

I will definitely pick up this issue of EW

More to the point.... is that another rehearsal pic that we've not seen before?

Actually yes, and perhaps more as well, I am gonna try to get me a digital copy I will look in zinio.com

Prince did a TV gig in France on Oct 14 and Prince fans think it was his best TV performance in 2000. Hmm.......

I can’t understand why Michael could have thought that Prince is the competition! Can someone enlighten me please?

I can’t understand why Michael could have thought that Prince is the competition! Can someone enlighten me please?

Are you serious???Do you even own one Prince record???

Prince is a musical genius the only artist besides Michael that is creating magic through music.

Prince is a musical genius the only artist besides Michael that is creating magic through music.
See his latest performance here and tell me you don´t feel his genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UO4UbtH17w&feature=player_profilepage

OK! Take it easy!

I know the man and I heard his music but I never considered him the direct competition.

Anyway competition was always good for Michael so he can innovate.

Michael is better than prince (or whatever he calls himself these days!) :)

Michael is better than prince (or whatever he calls himself these days!) :)

Coming from a MJ fan.... ask a Prince fan and he will say something different...;-)

This is your personal opinion.

sounds like mj was being sarcastic/joking if he even said it to start with

Um, can I add Stevie Wonder to that list too?

Coming from a MJ fan.... ask a Prince fan and he will say something different...;-)

This is your personal opinion.

I adore MJ - but I also am a heavy Prince fan too. I own a lot of Prince music and enjoy it very much.

Michael and Prince can't even be put in the same categories except for the obvious demographics (race/age/birthplace in the midwest/religion), and their music/performing geniuses are very much different & unique.

Anyway, this is an OLD argument, since Prince's first album came out in 1978. And it's more propelled by the record labels than the artists' themselves.

Michael Jackson Among Top Music Downloads by Decade

It wouldn’t be that strange to see Chuck Berry’s “Johnnie B. Goode,” Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin,’” and Michael Jackson’s “Black or White” on someone’s iPod. Each of these tracks was the top downloaded for its respective decade, according to Nielsen SoundScan data tear-to-date ending July 26, 2009.

The top downloaded track of the past year was Flo Rida’s “Right Round.” It has been downloaded 3.69 million times trailed closely by the Black Eyed Peas “Boom Boom Pow” at 3.67 million. Predictably, the tracks recorded in the last decade have been purchased at far greater volumes than those of the decades before.

The most downloaded track from any other decade is Journey’s eighties classic “Don’t Stop Believin’” which was downloaded 711,000 times.

Ironically, the artist that owned the decade, Michael Jackson, didn’t get the top slot. He did however rack up 10 of the top-15 downloads overall. The only non-Jackson songs in the top-10 were Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ on a Prayer” (No. 5) and Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger” (No. 10).

Jackson’s domination continues in the ’70s where four of the top-5 downloads were either his tracks recorded as a solo artist or with Jackson 5. “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough” was No. 1. Only Queen’s “We Will Rock You” cracked the top-5. Other Queen hits sold strongly including “Bohemian Rhapsody” (No. 8), “We are the Champions” (No. 12) and “Fat Bottomed Girls” (No. 39).

Although the sixties berthed some of the greatest rock track of all time, Etta James’ “At Last” and Louie Armstrong’s “What a Wonderful World” secured the top two spots. The Rolling Stones had five of the top-15 downloads.

The fifties top three were an eclectic mix of rhythm and blues, country and jazz. Berry’s “Johnnie B. Goode” was No.1 followed by Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” and Dave Brubeck’s “Take Five.”

Billie Holiday had four of the top-15 tunes downloaded from the forties. “I’ll Be Seeing You” was No. 1. Judy Garland had three within the top-15 lead by “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” (No. 11). A cover of the song, recorded by Hawaiian musician Israel Kamakawiwo’ole, actually ranked higher in the nineties. It was the fourth most downloaded track ahead of Michael Jackson’s “Remember the Time” (No. 5), Green Day’s “Good Riddance” (No. 6) “Down with the Sickness” by Disturbed (No. 7).

Overall track sales grew to 701 million downloads through July 26 compared to 622 million during the same period the year prior.

Top Downloaded Songs By Decade

1940’s
1- Billie Holiday, “I’ll be Seeing You”
2 - Ink Spots, “I Don’t Want to Set the World”
Andrews Sisters, “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy”
Hank Williams Sr., “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry”
Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Jordan, “Baby It’s Cold Outside”
Glenn Miller, “In the Mood”
Duke Ellington & His Orchestra, “It Don’t Mean a Thing”
Billie Holiday, “Strange Fruit”
Bing Crosby, “Swinging on a Star”
10 - Guy Lombardo, “Auld Lang Syne”

1950’s
1 - Chuck Berry, “Johnny B. Goode”
2 - Johnny Cash, “Folsom Prison Blues”
Dave Brubeck, “Take Five”
Bill Haley & The Comets, “Rock Around the Clock”
Louis Armstrong “La Vie En Rose”
Buddy Holly, “Everyday”
Buddy Holly, “That’ll Be the Day”
Miles Davis, “So What”
Louis Armstrong, “A Kiss to Build a Dream On”
10 - Buddy Holly, “Peggy Sue”

1960’s
1 - Etta James, “At Last”
2 - Louis Armstrong, “What a Wonderful World”
Rolling Stones, “Paint it Black”
Van Morrison, “Brown-Eyed Girl”
Temptations, “My Girl”
Jackson 5, “Who’s Loving You”
Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter”
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell, “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”
Otis Redding, “Sitting on the Dock on the Bay”
10 - Johnny Cash, “Ring of Fire”

1970’s
1 - Michael Jackson, “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough”
2 - Michael Jackson, “Rock with You”
Jackson 5, “I’ll be There”
Jackson 5, “ABC”
Queen, “We Will Rock You”
Jackson 5, “I Want You Back”
Lynyrd Skynyrd, “Sweet Home Alabama”
Queen, “Bohemian Rhapsody”
Eagles, “Hotel Califormia”
10 - Bob Marley & The Wailers, “Three Little Birds”

1980’s
1 - Journey, “Don’t Stop Believin’”
2 - Michael Jackson, “Man in the Mirror”
Michael Jackson, “Billie Jean”
Michael Jackson, “Beat It”
Bon Jovi, “Livin’ on a Prayer”
Michael Jackson, “Smooth Criminal”
Michael Jackson, “P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
Michael Jackson, “Thriller”
Michael Jackson, “Way You Make Me Feel”
10 - Survivor, “Eye of the Tiger”

1990’s
1 - Michael Jackson, “Black or White”
2 - 3 Doors Down, “Kryptonite”
Michael Jackson, “Will You be There”
Israel Kamakawiwo’ole, “Somewhere of the Rainbow”
Michael Jackson, “Remember the Time”
Green Day, “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
Disturbed, “Down with the Sickness”
Notorious B.I.G., “Hypnotize”
Michael Jackson, “You’re Not Alone”
10 - Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”

2000’s
1 - Flo rida, “Right Round”
2 - Black Eyed Peas, “Boom Boom Pow”
Lady Gaga, “Poker Face”
The All-American Rejects, “Gives You Hell”
Lady Gaga featuring Colby O’Donis. “Just Dance”
Soulja Boy Tell ‘Em featuring Sammi, “Kiss Me Thru the Phone”
Miley Cyrus, “Climb”
Kanye West, “Heartless”
Kelly Clarkson, “My Life Would Suck Without You”
10 - The Fray, “You Found Me”

Source: The Nielsen Company – SoundScan data year-to-date ending July 26, 2009.
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire...-journey-among-top-music-downloads-by-decade/

'Dancing With the Stars' plans Jackson tribute

NEW YORK – "Dancing With the Stars" says it plans to honor Michael Jackson with a special performance by the 16 professional dancers participating in this season's competition.

The hour will pay tribute to the King of Pop with a medley of Jackson songs representing different eras of his long career, in a fusion of classic ballroom and Latin styles.

One member of the "Dancing With the Stars" troupe, Cheryl Burke, says Jackson and his music are "an inspiration to every dancer." Being part of this tribute, she says, "is an honor."

The program airs Tuesday on ABC TV.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091015...zZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNkYW5jaW5nd2l0aHQ-

Re: 'Dancing With the Stars' plans Jackson tribute

I do not look at DWTS, but I will look at it on Tuesday..Bruno gets on my nerves.

I adore MJ - but I also am a heavy Prince fan too. I own a lot of Prince music and enjoy it very much.

Michael and Prince can't even be put in the same categories except for the obvious demographics (race/age/birthplace in the midwest/religion), and their music/performing geniuses are very much different & unique.

oh yes, I know. I love them both, and I love them both differently too. They are so unique in their own way, and they are different in style. Two wonderful guys that will always be close to my heart.

And I think the picture is new. I've never seen it before. And to think of it. It's less then two weeks until it hits the theaters...My goodness.

The new Michael Jackson movie: How Jackson fought for Dr. Conrad Murray

http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/10/15/t...ovie-how-jackson-fought-for-dr-conrad-murray/

by EW staff
Categories: Michael Jackson, Music
From this week’s cover:

Though outsiders wondered whether Michael Jackson could pull off the physically grueling task of mounting 50 concerts, Jackson’s collaborators were reassured as they watched some of the world’s best young dancers struggle to match his moves. Still, the pop star did look awfully thin. “I was always handing him Boost drinks and meal-replacement things,” says choreographer Travis Payne. “We all encouraged him to eat as much as he could. But at the same time, I understand: When you eat a lot and then you dance, it hurts. It was all for his art, I think.”

Jackson had insisted on retaining a full-time private physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, who was paid through the show’s budget to oversee his medical needs. Dr. Murray is now the focus of a manslaughter investigation. “Michael was very confident in the doctor,” AEG Live’s Randy Phillips says. “I actually tried to talk him out of hiring him. I didn’t want to spend $150,000 a month on a doctor, since we were playing in London, which has phenomenal medical resources. It was the first time Michael and I had cross words with each other. He admonished me that he needed a doctor 24/7, the same way Barack Obama did, because his body is what fuels this whole business. Michael prevailed on that. And I guess, looking back, we know why.”

For more on the upcoming Michael Jackson movie, including exclusive photos, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly on stands Friday, Oct. 16.

Last edited:
Re: The new Michael Jackson movie: How Jackson fought for Dr. Conrad Murray

AEG Live’s Randy Phillips says. “I actually tried to talk him out of hiring him.

Oh really? :doh:

Anyway, thanks for the post :) Before anybody says anything, Michael wasn't too thin and I really dont want to see this thread turn into a war over that accusation.

Back