15 years ago today

I remember it like it was yesterday, it's crazy that 15 years has passed already.

I got root canal treatment in the morning and came home looking forward to the announcement. There was serious buzz about the comeback shows. I couldn't believe it was finally happening after so many years!

I remember there was rumours because a couple of fashion designers had let slip that they were working on stuff for the tour (Ed Hardy guy and Roberto Cavalli) and everyone was like wtf? A tour?

Getting a pre-sale text message and then the ticket on the day they were released was a massive thrill, ( ticketmaster crashed) so I was crapping myself with worry I would miss out. Unfortunately we all did in the end 😕

After his death, the 'This Is It' shows were described as the greatest comeback (in music history) that never happened.

That particular press conference was really odd.

For example, on certain occasions (during that press conference) Michael Jackson was laughing with no reason at all, which suggests that they drugged him up in order to make that very brief speech.

One wonders how much they would have drugged him up in order to perform these shows.

I was not excited at all as my expectations for a good performance were pretty low. A couple of family members wanted me to go with them but I wasn't interested.

Sorry guys, continue the thread :p

After his death, the 'This Is It' shows were described as the greatest comeback (in music history) that never happened.

That particular press conference was really odd.

For example, on certain occasions (during that press conference) Michael Jackson was laughing with no reason at all, which suggests that they drugged him up in order to make that very brief speech.

One wonders how much they would have drugged him up in order to perform these shows.
One wonders if idiocy is something one is born with or comes to deeply prefer as they grow up.

It's not hard to see why he was laughing, this was in a time when MJ doubted himself and thought that he wasn't loved by the public anymore. For the better part of a decade he was mainly known as a laughing stock instead of his talent, so to see the crowd still go nuts for him after all those years must've brought him a lot of joy. If it was me in his shoes I sure as hell would've been giggling like a schoolgirl too.

It's not hard to see why he was laughing, this was in a time when MJ doubted himself and thought that he wasn't loved by the public anymore. For the better part of a decade he was mainly known as a laughing stock instead of his talent, so to see the crowd still go nuts for him after all those years must've brought him a lot of joy. If it was me in his shoes I sure as hell would've been giggling like a schoolgirl too.
Michael Jackson was also drunk during the 'This Is It' press conference, as revealed by sources close to him.

For example, Mark Lester stated that the singer gulped almost a bottle of whisky in order to make that very brief speech:

"Michael [Jackson] passed out on the hotel bed. His doctor said he'd drunk two-thirds of a bottle of whisky and [he] was paralytic. He sobered up enough to struggle through the 'This Is It' speech" (Mark Lester)

Randy Phillips (CEO of AEG Live at that time) also stated that Michael Jackson was drunk during the 'This Is It' press conference.

So, it was the apparent use of drugs along with confirmed huge quantities of alcohol that brought him a lot of laughing during the 'This Is It' press conference.

was there! electrifying experience!
FwHtq3cWIAEmzuM

Mark Lester... not the most reliable source IMO...

I doubt very much MJ had been drinking 2/3 of a whiskey.

I will on the other hand believe MJ was extremely nervous. For the better part of 10 years the media had ridiculed him, written nasty lies and the media will of course manipulate what people think. So it is understandable if MJ thought people would not care and he was nervous if he still had fans... So I think he was simply overwhelmed by the love and exitement he recieved. So glad that at least MJ knew in his final months that he was still the king. 50 sold out concerts in record time. - They could have sold out many many more concerts.

After MJ had many bad years, I am glad the last year he lived was happy and positive and he got to know how many fans he still had. - People cared enough to fly in from all over the world to London to see him.

I had tickets to 2 concerts. - Opening night, and then 2nd night that was suddenly moved many months back. - But at the time I was happy about it. Then I got to see opening night. And the buzz would have been unreal. - But also I would get to see 2nd leg, maybe with small changes in set-list and all the minor problems there always are at the first few concerts would have been corrected and perfected.

Still very very sad the concerts never happened. - But glad I got to see MJ during the HIStory tour.

I'm not really gonna go into or speculate on what happened before this conference as it is a bit of a downer. I think that when MJ got on that stage he was overwhelmed at how many people were there to see him, as he was apparently afraid that nobody was going to turn up. You can imagine him feeling that way after what he went through, and it was nice to see him obviously happy in that moment, everything else aside.

The forums were buzzing when we learned this would happen and everything moved very quickly. I think Christian Audigier mentioned to the paparazzi a few days earlier that MJ was going to stage a comeback. Then shortly before the press conference we saw pictures of flyers and other promo material appear (that's the first time we heard the 'This Is It' name).

I remember there was quite a delay, with MJ arriving over I believe an hour later than planned. It was exciting, but I remember that the main feeling that evening was that it was an odd press conference, with something just not seeming quite right about MJ's demeanor... Most of us quickly brushed that aside, as we were just so excited about what was to come. Tickets went on sale a few days later - that was intense.

^People also tend to forget he debuted that jacket - but than in blue - the year before at Audigier's birthday party. MJ definitely had a different style around that time.
For anyone who hasn't seen it

^People also tend to forget he debuted that jacket - but than in blue - the year before at Audigier's birthday party. MJ definitely had a different style around that time.
If we go back further it was actually debuted in 2004, he had a jacket that was very similar to those 2 but it was in red and had a different crystal pattern instead.
e49592cc66b552f210bb8029e56c9f54.jpg

He also had another red variant that was more similar to the black and blue jackets from 2008/2009, he wore it the day after the O2 arena announcement

Last edited:
If we go back further it was actually debuted in 2004, he had a jacket that was very similar to those 2 but it was in red and had a different crystal pattern instead.
e49592cc66b552f210bb8029e56c9f54.jpg

He also had another red variant that was more similar to the black and blue jackets from 2008/2009, he wore it the day after the O2 arena announcement
TPtlZjmRQPpbNzWeVwkfHJ6doZX_93Da3Ff8OZSd5gbD_W9d1fCfvNFOkm_gpuK2KsVchU_gGc6LjSTWbLlr-9mYA4Jh9KYOAS45frY5jeGxn5vGyfBfQwPm7VG5P73rAmXEoGYnQEqjUtQ
I never realized that! Cool!

Mark Lester... not the most reliable source IMO...

I doubt very much MJ had been drinking 2/3 of a whiskey.

I will on the other hand believe MJ was extremely nervous. For the better part of 10 years the media had ridiculed him, written nasty lies and the media will of course manipulate what people think. So it is understandable if MJ thought people would not care and he was nervous if he still had fans... So I think he was simply overwhelmed by the love and exitement he recieved. So glad that at least MJ knew in his final months that he was still the king. 50 sold out concerts in record time. - They could have sold out many many more concerts.

After MJ had many bad years, I am glad the last year he lived was happy and positive and he got to know how many fans he still had. - People cared enough to fly in from all over the world to London to see him.

I had tickets to 2 concerts. - Opening night, and then 2nd night that was suddenly moved many months back. - But at the time I was happy about it. Then I got to see opening night. And the buzz would have been unreal. - But also I would get to see 2nd leg, maybe with small changes in set-list and all the minor problems there always are at the first few concerts would have been corrected and perfected.

Still very very sad the concerts never happened. - But glad I got to see MJ during the HIStory tour.
Randy Phillips (in his leaked emails and also in his testimonies) actually confirmed what Mark Lester stated about the singer being drunk right before and during the 'This Is It' press conference:

"Michael Jackson is locked in his room drunk and despondent, a self-loathing emotionally paralyzed mess" (Randy Phillips)

There are also reports and statements that Michael Jackson consumed so much alcohol (right before the 'This Is It' press conference) which made Randy Phillips slap him so loud that the walls almost crumbled to the ground.

Legit can't talk about anything on here without the same people posting the same stuff lol. So boring and annoying.

Back