1970s & 80s Rap

[youtube]0OP5EnaaYjQ&fmt=18[/youtube]
[youtube]wVKezbGTPnw&fmt=18[/youtube]

the only rap I can stand is by Will Smith (DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince" most of the other stuff is just trash (you know today's rap about killing people and hurting women)

the only rap I can stand is by Will Smith (DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince" most of the other stuff is just trash (you know today's rap about killing people and hurting women)
You know that Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince has a song called "You Saw My Blinker" where he repeatedly calls this old woman the B word.

You know that Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince has a song called "You Saw My Blinker" where he repeatedly calls this old woman the B word.

yeah and that's minor compared the stuff that's out now.

yeah and that's minor compared the stuff that's out now.
Not really, there's always been sexual and violent music. Many old blues, soul, and country & western songs all the way back to the 1920s have these themes. The only difference is that there was very little profanity in the songs. The term Rock N' Roll was old African American slang for sex. One of the 1st mainstream acts to use a lot of profanity on record was the R&B singer Millie Jackson in the late 1970s.

1990s

How about the 90's?
You can make a thread for that, lol. This one is mainly about the beginnings and when it was underground. During the Kurtis Blow days, even most R&B stations refused to play it. During the 90s, rap was mainstream.

Supposedly either "King Tim III" by the Fatback Band or "Rapper's Delight" by the Sugarhill Gang from 1979 were the 1st hip-hop records. "Rapper's Delight" was the 1st hit though.

I still have that "Rapper's Delight" LP. I think it was my sister's.

How about Blondie's "Rapture"? I believe that was the first #1 hit in the U.S. to feature rapping.

I still have that "Rapper's Delight" LP. I think it was my sister's.
I remember a lot of that album was singing and not rapping, but I haven't heard the whole album since the time it came out. Maybe it was half R&B and half rap.
How about Blondie's "Rapture"? I believe that was the first #1 hit in the U.S. to feature rapping.
He eats Cadillacs, Lincolns too, Mercury and Subaru... :p

Pigmeat Markham ~ Here Comes The Judge

This track is from 1968. Minnie Riperton is one of the background/party voices.

Last edited:
This is a live performance from 1978 by Grandmaster Flash & The 4 MC's (later the Furious Five).
[youtube]bWBucLnKRZU[/youtube]

Gary Byrd & The GB Experience ~ The Crown

Stevie Wonder produced this 1983 song and also sings on it.

I love all this early rap. Rap was so much better before all the gangsta crap, bitches and hos and gold chains buffoonery we had now. Early MC's dropped science and had positive messages, unlike the autotuned, sampled, rubbish of today.

Back