1975 setlist help

That goin places tour setlist that has been around for many years seems a bit weird, what do you make of it? They only played "find me a girl" and the title track from the album. All albums previously had at least 5 songs from their new album in the setlist.
I can't help but think they did more songs from the album at other dates.

Anyway great setlist either way and there is never can't say goodbye, got to be there, sugar daddy and I wanna be where you are which I all want to hear badly in his adult voice.

I have hopes he also still performed music and me, one day in your life live during these years.
  1. Intro
  2. Think Happy
  3. Get it Together
  4. Forever Came Today
  5. I Am Love
  6. Keep on Dancing
  7. Ben
  8. Show You The Way To Go
  9. Goin' Places
  10. Never Can Say Goodbye
  11. Got to be There
  12. Sugar Daddy
  13. I Wanna Be Where You Are
  14. I'll Be There
  15. Medley: I Want You Back, ABC, The Love You Save
  16. Find Me A Girl
  17. Dancing Machine
  18. Enjoy Yourself
yeah I know this setlist although i don't know its source of provenence but the songs listed were all performed during that era.
As you mentioned I find it strange that tere are only 2 songs from "Goin' places".
I know of "Do what you wanna" being on the setlist in 1978 .
Michael Performed Different kind of Lady on Hal Jackson's Talented Teen International Scholarship Competition, so it might have been on the setlist as well.
I would love to hear "Even though you're gone" live too if they ever did.

Last edited:
So how do we find more info? Is there any way I can help?
Don't know, the biggest move can be done only by those who have the rights and access to the archives: Motown, CBS/Epic, The estate...
For me personally I've been tracking those infos mostly from newspapers Revewing the concerts since i was in Middle school in 2007/2008 and took notes back in the days but still lack a lot of details or precise setlist.
Even some the newspapers I took notes from at the time don't seem to be online anymore. Some old timers might have magazines and stuff but didn't contact any to work with.
I had collected enough to reconstitute the whole setlist of the 1972 LA forum before June 2009 as a teen because this period so was well documented.

By the way "Sugar Bum Bum" by Lord Kitchener was performed with Randy as lead in Trinidad & Tobago in 1978
youtube.com/watch?v=TCX1Udc3UqQ

Originally published in People Monthly, The Caribbean Magazine, April-May 1978.
Performance

Some of us remembered The Stylistics from way back when. But their performance is just a fuzzy memory of flashy movements. The Jacksons were real, immediate, and very, very slick.
The Jacksons perform three kinds of song, crawling mushy ballads (Ben, Got to be there) medium-paced, loping numbers (Let me show you the way to go, I wanna be where you are) and scintillating high-energy soul (I want you back, Enjoy yourself).
The audience lapped it all up, but it was their old hits that really scored, which offers some kind of indicator as to who their audience really was. Not today's reggae-disco swayed youngsters, but the people who were young when The Jacksons were younger. The grown-up kids who grooved to I want you back and ABC.
The show, of course, was Michael's. The others had their own individual appeal, but it was Michael who strutted and skipped to the delighted approval of the crowd. His is the honeyed-sweet voice that lances through the heart with almost surgical precision, dragging songs like I'll be there and Never can say goodbye back from the borderline of mediocrity and cliché.
Then, with appropriately theatrical buildup, they unleashed their gift to Trinidad and Tobago, a respectful facsimile of Lord Kitchener's Sugar Bum Bum. Randy, with impish sprightliness ran out from behind his congas, grabbed the microphone in fine Elvis style and began to sing with the cutest lisp: "Orgeee, way you get that sugahhh."
And there was The Sun's Keith Smith, holding his pate, looking up to the heavens for a sign and bawling, "This can't be happening, this ain't true, ah must be dreaming."
It was total pandemonium. But the Jacksons, savouring the novelty of the rhythms, carefully let the band carry most of it, wisely recognising their limitations in front of the Trinidadian audience.
By the time the group reached the end of their show, encoring with Enjoy Yourself, enjoyment had become frenzied excitement and a winin' grinin' mob prepared to show their appreciation.

Last edited:
@KaribSancho

Have you found out about other rare performances they did?
If you have the time, please share as much as you can.
Right now , I can only think of "Hum a song (from your heart)" by LuLu Performed in Philadelphia on May 2, 1970.
"Yesterday" by the Beatles regulary performed From May 2, 1970 up until september 1971.
"Get ready" along with the temptation at the Black push expo October 1971.
Jermaine performed "Live it Up" from his first solo LP from summer 1972 until late August/early September 1973.
"Superstition" as a duet between michael and Randy in 1973. the song itself was on the set as of fall 1974 (don't know if it was a duet or solo).
"Theme from Shaft" during summer 1973 much like they did for "walk on"
Most of the J5 work from 1973-1975 and the Jacksons from 1976-178.
And of course the vegas revue shows. They performed "Didn't we"(Frank Sinatra/Johnny Mathis) May 1975. Latoya & J5 Tap Dancing to "Sing Sing Sing".

*I just remember as I write there is a Full Audio performance of "Hallelujah Day" live. I heard it by chance a few years ago It was a japanese blog/website. Never heard it again ever since but that confirms that there 's a lot than can be released.

Last edited:
@KaribSancho
According to wiki, let it be was performed sometimes during the J5 world tour

I guess the most wanted live performance so far is "walk right now" and "find me a girl"

My top 5 songs that I hope were performed at one time are

1 We're almost there
2 Push me away
3 Maria (you were the only one)
4 What you don't know
5 You've changed

PS what about pre Motown, do you know what songs they performed in clubs and talent shows back then?

@KaribSancho
According to wiki, let it be was performed sometimes during the J5 world tour
yes it was a medley: "Let it be"/"Never can say goodbye" performed during both Regular concerts and Vegas Revue in 1974 and maybe 1975 too.
here at the Tonight show w/ Johnny Carson
I guess the most wanted live performance so far is "walk right now" and "find me a girl"
I was about to mention "Walk Right Now" from the Triumph tour. We need a video of this frfr.
My top 5 songs that I hope were performed at one time are

1 We're almost there
2 Push me away
3 Maria (you were the only one)
4 What you don't know
5 You've changed
"We're almost there" must have been performed at some shows.
"What you don't know" was Part of their setlist 1975-1976 also on the Jacksons Variety Show 1977.
"Push me away"- I still wonder if they did during the Destiny Tour, never seen anything about it.
"Maria (you were the only one)" No sign , but it would have been great kinda like how they did "Ain't no sunshine".
"You've changed" - They performed the early (steeltown) version back in 1968-1969.
GUYS+%26+GALS+2.jpg

PS what about pre Motown, do you know what songs they performed in clubs and talent shows back then?
1965-1969
"The jerk" by the Larks
"Twist and shout" by the Isley Brothers (the 1st song they learned according to Johnny Jackson)
"Barefootin'" by Robert parker
"Stormy monday" by T-Bone Walker
"Tobacco road" - Lou Rawls version
"You don't Know like I know" by Sam and Dave
"Skinny legs and all" by Joe tex
"I wish it would rain" ," My girl"," Get ready", "Ain't too proud to beg" by the Temptations
"A change's gonna come" by Sam cooke
"Shake it baby" by John Lee Hooker
"Ttrack of my tears" by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
"I got you(I feel good)" ,"I got the feeling" by James Brown

Add some Steeltown songs like "Big Boy", "You've changed" And a mysterious HIT song: "We'll always love you".
well+always+love+you.jpg

Last edited:
yes it was a medley: "Let it be"/"Never can say goodbye" performed during both Regular concerts and Vegas Revue in 1974 and maybe 1975 too.
here at the Tonight show w/ Johnny Carson
Ah it’s this version, very cool
"We're almost there" must have been performed at some shows.
It should be, right? I hope so much
"What you don't know" was Part of their setlist 1975-1976 also on the Jacksons Variety Show 1977.
awesome but yeah now that you mention it, I saw the variety show performance.
"Push me away"- I still wonder if they did during the Destiny Tour, never seen anything about it.
They did a playback performance so there is a slight possibility
"Maria (you were the only one)" No sign , but it would have been great kinda like how they did "Ain't no sunshine".
this is exactly what i was thinking, it is such a song for Michael to shine too
"You've changed" - They performed the early (steeltown) version back in 1968-1969.
awesome
1965-1969
"The jerk" by the Larks
"Twist and shout" by the Isley Brothers (the 1st song they learned according to Johnny Jackson)
"Barefootin'" by Robert parker
"Stormy monday" by T-Bone Walker
"Tobacco road" - Lou Rawls version
"You don't Know like I know" by Sam and Dave
"Skinny legs and all" by Joe tex
"I wish it would rain" ," My girl"," Get ready", "Ain't too proud to beg" by the Temptations
"A change's gonna come" by Sam cooke
"Shake it baby" by John Lee Hooker
"Ttrack of my tears" by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
"I got you(I feel good)" ,"I got the feeling" by James Brown
some very cool songs here
Add some Steeltown songs like "Big Boy", "You've changed" And a mysterious HIT song: "We'll always love you".
Mysterious hit. This begs for more info

Ah it’s this version, very cool

It should be, right? I hope so much

awesome but yeah now that you mention it, I saw the variety show performance.

They did a playback performance so there is a slight possibility

this is exactly what i was thinking, it is such a song for Michael to shine too

awesome

some very cool songs here

Mysterious hit. This begs for more info
You can find Hallelujah Day & Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone here:

A full Hallelujah Day recording. Wow, there is lot of lost medias out there.
1. A full Melbourne show (1973) airred on ATN (Channel 7 in Australia) I believe. Clips from 1973 chicago shows as well.

A full Hallelujah Day recording. Wow, there is lot of lost medias out there.
Jermaine was singing adlibs and they closed with an Instrumental section before thanking the audience.
I'm not gonna lie, I was a little desappointed by "Live in Japan":
A) Too Short, Not enough songs. Everything I had read talked about at least 18 or 19 songs Setlists and and the shorter version of Hallelujah day was already on Youtube so I knew something was missing.
B) No songs from "Skywriter"... I wasn't having it. I was expecting them singing "Skywriter", "I can't quit Your love", "Corner of the sky" .
1. A full Melbourne show (1973) airred on ATN (Channel 7 in Australia) I believe. Clips from 1973 chicago shows as well.
I know of this one as well. This is cruel, all that but we ain't got nothing.

Last edited:
Jermaine was singing adlibs and they closed with an Instrumental section before thanking the audience.
I'm not gonna lie, I was a little desappointed by "Live in Japan":
A) Too Short, Not enough songs. Everything I had read talked about at least 18 or 19 songs Setlists and and the shorter version of Hallelujah day was already on Youtube so I knew something was missing.
B) No songs from "Skywriter"... I wasn't having it. I was expecting them singing "Skywriter", "I can't quit Your love", "Corner of the sky" .

I know of this one as well. This is cruel, all that but ain't got nothing.
Hallelujah Day is from May 2nd

2 questions

1. Got To Be There was perform during the December (1973) concerts. Could this mean they still used the 1973 setlist for those concerts and Landover Jan 4th?

2. Was "It’s Too Late To Change The Time" performed throughout the Feb - May season?

2 questions

1. Got To Be There was perform during the December (1973) concerts. Could this mean they still used the 1973 setlist for those concerts and Landover Jan 4th?
Yeah I was thinking about it. the Landover show was probably the same as the one in Winston-Salem.
2. Was "It’s Too Late To Change The Time" performed throughout the Feb - May season?
No trace of it from what I gathered.
from this period:

Never can Say Goodbye
Papa was a rollingstone
Daddy's home
I am love
Rockin' Robin
Whatever you got, I want
Ben
If I don't love you this way
I'll be there
I want you back/ABC/The love you save
Stormy Monday (Instrumental w/band Introduction)
Dancing Machine
The life of the party

Yeah I was thinking about it. the Landover show was probably the same as the one in Winston-Salem.

No trace of it from what I gathered.
from this period:

Never can Say Goodbye
Papa was a rollingstone
Daddy's home
I am love
Rockin' Robin
Whatever you got, I want
Ben
If I don't love you this way
I'll be there
I want you back/ABC/The love you save
Stormy Monday (Instrumental w/band Introduction)
Dancing Machine
The life of the party
You sure this is Feb - May? Or what are you referring too, im lost. Also where did you get information in Stormy Monday including an introduction?

Last edited:
You sure this is Feb - May? Or what are you referring too, im lost.
Yes it is January-May 1975. Just not an exact setlist of course. But they did Primarily Vegas Type engagements only 5 regular J5 concerts that's probably why there is not a lot about that time.

Yes it is January-May 1975. Just not an exact setlist of course. But they did Primarily Vegas Type engagements only 5 regular J5 concerts that's probably why there is not a lot about that time.
How did you get info about Stormy Monday, is it by the Oakland article?

By the way im talking about 1974 Feb - May

How did you get info about Stormy Monday, is it by the Oakland article?
No I heard about it frist from Shady groves shows In May 5, 1975 first, didn't know they were already performing it in late 1974 Until You told about it being performed in Oakland. I looked for it and found a Newspaper Review. thanks by the way.

By the way im talking about 1974 Feb - May
My bad,

I want you back /ABC/The love you save
I'll be there
Never can say goodbye
Feelin' alright
Rockin Robin
Daddy's home
Ben
Skywriter
Music and Me
Superstition
Papa was a rollingstone
You're in good hands
Get It Together
Don't say goodbye again
Hum along and dance
It's Too late to change the time
You need love like i do
Dancing Machine

The only way we can really obtain new info regarding this is off people's faulty memories on Facebook. Or hope that Newspapers.com adds new articles. Or we have to pay for other newspaper archives (Ex: Philadelphia Inquirer, The Virginian Pilot). Or people who toured with them and knows. We need professional concert itineraries and setlists. Also, concert tapes (impossible).

The only way we can really obtain new info regarding this is off people's faulty memories on Facebook.
That's won't be an easy task at all.
Or hope that Newspapers.com adds new articles. Or we have to pay for other newspaper archives (Ex: Philadelphia Inquirer, The Virginian Pilot). Or people who toured with them and knows. We need professional concert itineraries and setlists. Also, concert tapes (impossible).
Concerning itineraries, there was a tour schedule 1974 mentioning dates planned In India Singapore Hong kong etc...(Certainly part of the Far East Tour). I thought it was cancelled but then I've read an interview in 1976 where Michael said that they Did actually visit India and Guatemala. I'm researching it. I'll post if i find it.
Do you know anything?

That's won't be an easy task at all.

Concerning itineraries, there was a tour schedule 1974 mentioning dates planned In India Singapore Hong kong etc... I thought it was cancelled but then I've read an interview in 1976 where Michael said that they Did actually visit India and Guatemala. I'm researching it. I'll post if i find it.
Do you know anything?
Yes, they did visit Guatemala in 1975

Back