‘2000 Watts’: a love-or-hate song?

I used to REALLY like 2000 Watts as a kid because it has a futuristic title and sound to it. Nowadays, not so much. I do like that it shows off MJ's lower voice range, but personally, I would have switched it with "Shout".

"Shout" was originally going to be on Invincible, but for whatever reason, it was switched with 2000 Watts at the last minute and made into the B-Side of Cry. Shout shows us all that not only did MJ have a deep range, but that he could actually RAP. Usually it's some guest rapper on his tracks, but I love that Michael rapped on his own

I really love shout, pretty sure it was pieced together from multiple takes though. You can tell when his vocal delivery changes mid verse lol.

According to 'Making Michael, Shout was replaced with You Are My Life which was originally called You Are My World. MJ changed the lyric 'World to 'Life and gave himself a writing credit.

It was a fan-made video for 2000 Watts that made me enjoy the track a bit more. Must see if I can find that video. It's not a go-to song for me but it's something different and the production on it is interesting and I like the futuristic feel on it. I agree with AlwaysThere; there's no deep meaningful secret behind the lyrics, the track is driven by the beat and groove and the lyrics play support to it. I just wish the album was mixed better. It's the one album that would benefit from a remaster. Everything just seems pushed up to 100.

Yeah definitely agree, a re-mixing as well lol. Everything is so compressed.

Back