3-disc Bad album

Bad is a great album. However, releasing a 3 disc album most likely would have affected the overall quality of the album. Also, the sales would have been significantly lower too, due to the higher price of the 3 disc album in contrast to one disc album. The idea of a 3 disc albums sounds appealing, but I'm glad that a single disc album was released in the end.

But I must say that titles like Buffalo Bill, Chicago 1945, Apocalypse Now and Crack Kills have always fascinated me and I hope that we get to see them released someday.

But I must say that titles like Buffalo Bill, Chicago 1945, Apocalypse Now and Crack Kills have always fascinated me and I hope that we get to see them released someday.
We don't know if vocals were ever recorded for Apocalypse Now.

If they made BAD an 3 album disc. it would been expensive during that time. so I agree with others. it's was kind of good bad was an single disc with singles. though that's not saying it would of been cool if they did.

they can still do it just it's gonna be 10 times expensive if they actually done it. I don't think that's bad (no pun) because they can make more money that way. BAD 35 is I think 3 years away which will be 2023.

so since the estate so worry about BAD they can do this. I wouldn't get my hope ups. but we may get something for bad. I'm thinking about emailing them when it get close. Thriller will be 40 in a few years so i'm looking forward to that as well. :D

If they made BAD an 3 album disc. it would been expensive during that time. so I agree with others. it's was kind of good bad was an single disc with singles. though that's not saying it would of been cool if they did.

they can still do it just it's gonna be 10 times expensive if they actually done it. I don't think that's bad (no pun) because they can make more money that way. BAD 35 is I think 3 years away which will be 2023.

so since the estate so worry about BAD they can do this. I wouldn't get my hope ups. but we may get something for bad. I'm thinking about emailing them when it get close. Thriller will be 40 in a few years so i'm looking forward to that as well. :D

BAD was released in 1987 - so 35 anniversary must be in 2022 isn't it? - not far away. :)

The original Bad album had 11 tracks. So, hypothetically a three disc album should have (11 x 3 =) 33 tracks.

Considering this, wouldn't it be more appropriate to release a BAD33 edition?:D

BAD was released in 1987 - so 35 anniversary must be in 2022 isn't it? - not far away. :)

It was release in august 1987 I think. so bad is 32 years old going on 33 this year. so bad will 35 in august 2022. I think. sorry i'm not good with math. lol. i'll be waiting. probably waiting for nothing. but still waiting.

Ok, perhaps a triple album is a bit much but a double album of consistent quality was possible imo. The outtakes we heard so far could easily have been picked for the main album release, it's very strong material. It would be expensive but not impossible (songs in the key of life).

Fuzball;4288565 said:
The original Bad album had 11 tracks. So, hypothetically a three disc album should have (11 x 3 =) 33 tracks.

OK, but then I want a “Bad 33.3” vinyl edition. :)

I don't think it's gonna happen. but it nice to imagine. lol. :laughing: btw 33 tracks???? wow Michael. my goodness. but it would make money though, for sure. i'm looking at you estate. >_>

Newbie question here: Why did MJ have the tendency to fill every album to the brim, sometimes to the point where it exceeded the physical limits of the media and they had to go back and edit the songs to fit? I understand that he tended to get into the flow of creating stuff and simply didn’t stop. But why not make shorter albums from all the new material and release new stuff more frequently? Why did everything absolutely have to go onto one album?

If you look at his adult discography in terms of albums, it looks like he hasn’t had that much output compared to other artists, while in reality he did release a lot of material.

An LP can hold 38 minutes, a CD can hold 78 minutes, but I don’t expect an artist to fill it to capacity just because it’s possible. Some of my favorite contemporary rock albums are well under an hour, and it’s not like I feel cheated because the band left some space at the end. :D

And when he tried to break free from his Sony contract, wouldn’t it have helped if he had more albums “checked off” at that point?

ScreenOrigami;4288583 said:
Newbie question here: Why did MJ have the tendency to fill every album to the brim, sometimes to the point where it exceeded the physical limits of the media and they had to go back and edit the songs to fit? I understand that he tended to get into the flow of creating stuff and simply didn’t stop. But why not make shorter albums from all the new material and release new stuff more frequently? Why did everything absolutely have to go onto one album?

If you look at his adult discography in terms of albums, it looks like he hasn’t had that much output compared to other artists, while in reality he did release a lot of material.

An LP can hold 38 minutes, a CD can hold 78 minutes, but I don’t expect an artist to fill it to capacity just because it’s possible. Some of my favorite contemporary rock albums are well under an hour, and it’s not like I feel cheated because the band left some space at the end. :D

And when he tried to break free from his Sony contract, wouldn’t it have helped if he had more albums “checked off” at that point?

Many of MJs songs last at least 7 or more minutes. It was always a painful step for him to trim down these to 4 or 5 minutes. Wouldn't there any technical restrictions on the LP or Cd specs, I guess MJ would have relesased an LP with 100 minutes content (or 220+ minutes on cd). :D

It is said, that all of his self penned songs on Bad are approx 8 or 9 minutes long, btw.

Last edited:
Fuzball;4288591 said:
Many of MJs songs last at least 7 or more minutes. It was always a painful step for him to trim down these to 4 or 5 minutes. Wouldn't there any technical restrictions on the LP or Cd specs, I guess MJ would have relesased an LP with 100 minutes content (or 220+ minutes on cd). :D

It is said, that all of his self penned songs on Bad are approx 8 or 9 minutes long, btw.

Ha ha, yeah I know. :D
Wouldn’t it be amazing to hear the songs the way they were first intended? :)

Looking beyond the Bad album, there are 14 songs on Dangerous and 15 new songs on HIStory. Who does 14 or 15 songs per album? 10, maaaybeee 12 are the standard. He could have made three albums from that material alone. :D

I mean, I like the albums the way they are, I’m just wondering why they turned out that way. :)

I'm all for BAD33 (or anything Bad really). :D And yes, please, on vinyl (that would be like 5-6 discs?)!

I wish there was a trend of releasing Insane Fan Editions with these kind of cuts, I find them fascinating, I very much enjoy the neverending Dangerous demos too.

I remember reading an interview with Quincy sometimes around Bad where he said that MJ wanted a double album but Quincy convinced him otherwise. I was so furious with QJ then (he robbed us of more songs!), haha, and now that we had the chance to hear some of the outtakes I am even more. :D

ScreenOrigami;4288594 said:
Looking beyond the Bad album, there are 14 songs on Dangerous and 15 new songs on HIStory. Who does 14 or 15 songs per album? 10, maaaybeee 12 are the standard. He could have made three albums from that material alone. :D

I mean, I like the albums the way they are, I’m just wondering why they turned out that way. :)

Don't ask us. ask the king. i agree with you though.

ScreenOrigami;4288594 said:

By the time Dangerous came out the compact disc became the main medium of recorded music. So I guess MJ just wanted to use its entire available physical capacity.

I would, if that was possible. I have many questions that I would like to ask him and that somehow never came up in interviews. :)

I wish he had done some kind of "Working with MJ" instead of that Bashir-shit.

Back