9/11 & Cry

Hot_Street

Proud Member
9/11 was 22 years ago.
Why wasn't Cry used to collect money for the victims?
Why was it released in December? Why so late? YRMW was released in August, they could've released Cry in September.
Why wasn't it released in the US?
Invincible had the perfect song for 9/11 and they didn't release it.

Last edited:
The day after 9/11 a radio station played Heal the world where I live.
Cry isn't that great. It's a much lesser heal the world or man in the mirror.

Cry fits the best:
Somebody's missing a friend (Hold-on)
Somebody's lacking a hero
And they have not a clue when it's all gonna end again

9/11 was 22 years ago.
Why was it released in December? Why so late? YRMW was released in August, they could've released Cry in September.
Because of the sick way the world is run. i think.

If I remember, wasn't there an issue about MJ not performing on the big 9/11 tv tribute?

Producers wanted MJ to perform Man in the mirror but he was insisting on singing Cry? , basically to plug the album rather than the true cause? Eventually they couldn't agree and he never performed?

I'm not talking United we stand btw

"Cry" was streamed on Michael Jackson's website a day or so after 9/11, but I don't think it was ever intended to be a single in America. And good thing it wasn't, because the song is doo doo feces

"Cry" was streamed on Michael Jackson's website a day or so after 9/11, but I don't think it was ever intended to be a single in America. And good thing it wasn't, because the song is doo doo feces
940x450-Ryan-Reynold-Reaction-GIFs.jpg

9/11 was 22 years ago.
Why didn't MJ trademark real tears?

There is only 1 song suited for releasing after such a devastating event and that is “we shall overcome” preferably sung by nightingale joan baez

I think in the wake of the horrendous tragedy that was 9/11, it would have looked like a PR spin from a major artist like Mike releasing a single from his new album to coincide with the terrible event. Would have seemed insensitive and insincere, which Michael was most certainly not

He did the right thing with WMGIG, the single just need a better roll out

9/11 was 22 years ago.
Because a song ain't gonna undo the thousands dead?

They just allow any topic here nowadays, don't they

“Cry” is abysmal. Embarrassing all-around.

I think a 9/11 tribute song is an excellent idea, and had things gone better, “What More Can I Give” was an excellent choice. But “Cry” is a piss poor attempt at capturing that “Man of the Mirror” energy.
I always felt the “change the world” line at the end of “Cry” was a poor attempt to recreate the “make that change” line from “Man In the Mirror”.

The only part of the song I like is the beatbox loop put together by Brad Buxer. Everything else about the song is just blah.

Now do we really dislike the song or are we just taking points off for it's songwriters?

Jason Elias of AllMusic describes "Cry" as a moody and reflective piece of material reminiscent of Jackson's Quincy Jones-produced ballads for Bad, and indicates the song's themes are those of alienation and sorrow rather than love. He believes the strength of the strings, the competent backing vocals, and the keyboard figures prevent the listener from convulsing with laughter at Jackson's "oh-so-pained delivery" and interjections of "Hold on" or "Oh my!"[11] Jon Pareles of The New York Times called the track the "change-the-world-song" and wrote that the single "applies its grand buildup to one of pop's strangest utopian schemes," which was asking everyone to cry at the same time, at which point Jackson may answer their prayers.[12] Catherine Halaby of Yale Daily News felt that the song is a "less triumphant use of a contemporary's input" on the album.[13]

NME music critic Mark Beaumont believed that Jackson "starts banging creepily on about" the lyrics which pertain to saving the children.[14] Frank Kogan of the Village Voice noted that while "Cry" and another song from Invincible ("Speechless") are "very pretty", they give the impression that Jackson's "standing sideways, so as to let the beauty slide off him."[15] Los Angeles Times staff writer Robert Hilburn wrote that the track "fills the social commentary role" of Jackson's "Man in the Mirror" (1988),[8] while Hartford Courant rock music critic Roger Catlin believed that the single is a redux to Jackson's "Heal the World" (1991).[16] Newsday staff writer Glenn Gamboa said that the song was "equally average" to other tracks on Invincible.[17] James Hunter of Rolling Stone magazine wrote that R. Kelly "more or less succeeds with the kind of life affirming number" on the single.[18]

Jim Farber of New York's Daily News wrote that in "Cry", Jackson "goes into his healing-the-world shtick, though rarely has he been this condescending about his role as universal savior."[19] Chicago Tribune rock music critics Greg Kot believed that R. Kelly "reprises the formula of his big gospel-stoked anthem" ("I Believe I Can Fly") on the track.[20] A journalist for The Wichita Eagle wrote that Jackson "shines on the sincere ballads" such as "Cry" and "Speechless".[9] Pop music critic Thor Christensen of the Dallas Morning News described the single as being the musician's "latest batch of inspirational cotton candy."[21] Francisco Cangiano of University Wire noted that the overall good songs from Invincible are "Heartbreaker," "Cry" and "Speechless."[22] Pamela Davis and Gina Vininetto of St. Petersburg Times called the song "hubris- filled" and said that it was full of Jackson's "freaky messiah-savior complex."[23]

Now do we really dislike the song or are we just taking points off for it's songwriters?
I love the song. Don't care how much flak gets thrown at it. Absolutely love it. And the video, also.

That said, this is gold:
Frank Kogan of the Village Voice noted that while "Cry" and another song from Invincible ("Speechless") are "very pretty", they give the impression that Jackson's "standing sideways, so as to let the beauty slide off him."[15]

Jason Elias of AllMusic describes "Cry" as a moody and reflective piece of material reminiscent of Jackson's Quincy Jones-produced ballads for Bad, and indicates the song's themes are those of alienation and sorrow rather than love. He believes the strength of the strings, the competent backing vocals, and the keyboard figures prevent the listener from convulsing with laughter at Jackson's "oh-so-pained delivery" and interjections of "Hold on" or "Oh my!"[11] Jon Pareles of The New York Times called the track the "change-the-world-song" and wrote that the single "applies its grand buildup to one of pop's strangest utopian schemes," which was asking everyone to cry at the same time, at which point Jackson may answer their prayers.[12] Catherine Halaby of Yale Daily News felt that the song is a "less triumphant use of a contemporary's input" on the album.[13]

NME music critic Mark Beaumont believed that Jackson "starts banging creepily on about" the lyrics which pertain to saving the children.[14] Frank Kogan of the Village Voice noted that while "Cry" and another song from Invincible ("Speechless") are "very pretty", they give the impression that Jackson's "standing sideways, so as to let the beauty slide off him."[15] Los Angeles Times staff writer Robert Hilburn wrote that the track "fills the social commentary role" of Jackson's "Man in the Mirror" (1988),[8] while Hartford Courant rock music critic Roger Catlin believed that the single is a redux to Jackson's "Heal the World" (1991).[16] Newsday staff writer Glenn Gamboa said that the song was "equally average" to other tracks on Invincible.[17] James Hunter of Rolling Stone magazine wrote that R. Kelly "more or less succeeds with the kind of life affirming number" on the single.[18]

Jim Farber of New York's Daily News wrote that in "Cry", Jackson "goes into his healing-the-world shtick, though rarely has he been this condescending about his role as universal savior."[19] Chicago Tribune rock music critics Greg Kot believed that R. Kelly "reprises the formula of his big gospel-stoked anthem" ("I Believe I Can Fly") on the track.[20] A journalist for The Wichita Eagle wrote that Jackson "shines on the sincere ballads" such as "Cry" and "Speechless".[9] Pop music critic Thor Christensen of the Dallas Morning News described the single as being the musician's "latest batch of inspirational cotton candy."[21] Francisco Cangiano of University Wire noted that the overall good songs from Invincible are "Heartbreaker," "Cry" and "Speechless."[22] Pamela Davis and Gina Vininetto of St. Petersburg Times called the song "hubris- filled" and said that it was full of Jackson's "freaky messiah-savior complex."[23]
I personally don’t care for it. I don’t think it’s terrible by any means, but there’s far better in MJ’s discography and in the vault. It’s a retread of a theme Jackson has done again and again, but this time there’s no nuance. It doesn’t bring anything new to the table nor is it particularly interesting, and the vocal and lyrics are extremely subpar. R. Kelly’s involvement certainly doesn’t help, but even if he didn’t contribute, it still should have been a song left on the cutting room floor.

MJ supposedly worked on “Cry” over the phone with sound engineers and wasn’t present for studio sessions. You can definitely hear it- “Cry” has a very mediocre/phoned-in vocal with an arrangement that is not up to his usual standards.

Back