A new film about Michael Jackson

This just popped up. Haven't got the energy to do loads of detective work on this so posting merely as FYI

@DJs_Doodles

Don't know if either of these bits add anything new to the pieces you posted but ... FYI

Cannes Film Festival? 🤷‍♀️

Cannes Film Festival? 🤷‍♀️

That's one of the articles I already read. ☹️

It pains me that there is so little information about this, especially for a Michael Jacskon related film. This needs more traction.

That's one of the articles I already read. ☹️
Dang it!

It pains me that there is so little information about this, especially for a Michael Jacskon related film. This needs more traction.
We're not getting anywhere with this thing. :confused:

The paucity of info re the film company, the project itself, the woman apparently driving it - just makes me feel more and more suspicious.

Might as well go back to making jokes about belly buttons,lol. 🙄

Is that racism?
Oh pleaseeee this film already has a white man playing a black man.

Anyway.....here's the trailer,

He's got the same skinny body as MJ which looks authentic but it's a hard pass from me.

He's got the same skinny body as MJ which looks authentic but it's a hard pass from me.
OMG! We finally got a trailer!

And.... Wow. I'm just gonna say this. This does not look very promising. Especially with the part in the trailer showing "Michael" taking his shirt off and him falling to the ground in despair at 0:30. Of course there's no doubt Michael suffered a lot psychologically due to vitiligo, but come on. That part felt a little too dramatic. 💀

Oof, and I almost forgot: The terrible pixelated looking green screen effect at 0:05. 😭 The makeup on Consigli is also not very good either. He looks like Adrian McManus at 0:44. 💀

I'm disappointed. For a film with a very promising premise, this does not look like it would be good. If this film reaches the public outside of the Cannes Film Festival somehow, I wouldn't be interested in watching it. Sorry Marabini. 😬

However, I was pretty skeptical of this film's merit to begin with, so I'm not that disappointed. But for a film that's meant to provide a positive outlook on Michael, this is probably not the film made for doing so. Let's just wait until the release of the biopic.

Last edited:
My name is Rossana, I worked in this film as second assistant to the director Liana Marabini. I am a huge fan of MJ. I wish to clear the question of the button belly. It s part of a long list of supernatural things, coincidences and events that happened during the shooting. We all had the feeling that Michael was there guiding us. Things that seemed impossible became possible, the coincidences were common things, among them this one. The film will be distributed on line, after Cannes the production will publish the link where you can see it. Cheers.

I wish to clear the question of the button belly. It s part of a long list of supernatural things, coincidences and events that happened during the shooting. We all had the feeling that Michael was there guiding us. Things that seemed impossible became possible, the coincidences were common things, among them this one.
Wow. Consigli's belly button has really had that much of an impact on y'all, hasn't it? 💀

Dang it!

The paucity of info re the film company, the project itself, the woman apparently driving it - just makes me feel more and more suspicious.

Dang it!

I find it very interesting and I will see it.

I'm happy that somebody took the time and spent the money to do a film showing the spirituality of our beloved Michael and wishing to show that he was innocent. It's refreshing, after so many horrible, insulting documentaries. I welcome this film and wait to see it before expressing an opinion. The actor is very much alike and is not Adrian McManus. Why are you so polemic DJs Doodles? It looks like personal. Is that the case?

The actor is very much alike and is not Adrian McManus.
In your dreams. 💀

Why are you so polemic DJs Doodles? It looks like personal. Is that the case?
Also, I'm not the only one who is not expecting much of this film. So far, most of the reactions to the trailer here are not positive. Hell, even before the trailer came out, not many of us expected much.

I've always been sure that the intentions for this film are good. I won't deny that. But that doesn't mean it's exempt from other criticisms. As @Blues_Away2023 already pointed out, the actor portraying Michael is clearly not a black man. Which I feel is very imperative, especially given the struggles the film says it's going to portray, such as Michael's battle with vitiligo and dealing with accusations of internalized racism because of this disease.

I've also already pointed out other things about the trailer that don't sit right with me. You can call me "polemic" all you want, but personally, I think these are very valid criticisms.

Oh yeah. And the belly button comment. That still trips me up. 💀

Last edited:
DJs Doodles, I know that when we love someone - and all of us here love Michael - the expectations are enormous. It's easy to be disappointed, of course. But give them a chance. Maybe what they have to say is interesting. Personally, I prefer to see first the film and then I'll say what I think. I like the trailer. And forget the belly button.
By the way, the actor is not white.

By the way, the actor is not white.
Hopefully, this is true. But honestly, even if the actor is black or a person of color, I'm still not a fan of the makeup.

The "whitening" makeup looks too gray and not like a natural pale skin color at all (talking specifically about the clips at 0:21, 0:52, and 1:22). The lipstick used on Consigli also feels a little too red in some parts. Especially at 0:44. His hair also appears shorter in that specific clip, which makes me think he's portraying Michael in the Thriller era or even the Off the Wall era. And for that, the lip color just doesn't match. 💀

I've spent a lot of time studying and analyzing Michael's appearance in terms of my art and storyboards for my own personal projects, which is why I feel so strongly about how an actor portraying Michael is also going to look. If they are looking to capture Michael's spirit and make the audience believe in their role, achieving accuracy in their mannerisms and appearance is very important. If an actor portrays Michael's personality well, but only vaguely looks like him, it's hard for the audience to take the role seriously. Same thing for if an actor looks so much like Michael, but sucks at portraying his personality. There needs to be some kind of balance in a way, especially for such a serious project.

EDIT: I'm also aware that this task is not easy to do. It took me years before I could be able to draw Michael's face accurately and even be able to show traces of him in my own makeup routine (A lot of the time, my own sense of fashion is inspired by Michael, although I am not imitating him per se). But that's why we have to try harder! Practice makes perfect.

Maybe what they have to say is interesting. Personally, I prefer to see first the film and then I'll say what I think. I like the trailer.
That's great. But for me, I'm still not interested. Sorry. 😕 I'm preferring to focus my attention on the biopic coming out next year.

Hopefully, this is true. But honestly, even if the actor is black or a person of color, I'm still not a fan of the makeup.

The "whitening" makeup looks too gray and not like a natural pale skin color at all (talking specifically about the clips at 0:21, 0:52, and 1:22). The lipstick used on Consigli also feels a little too red in some parts. Especially at 0:44. His hair also appears shorter in that specific clip, which makes me think he's portraying Michael in the Thriller era or even the Off the Wall era. And for that, the lip color just doesn't match. 💀

I've spent a lot of time studying and analyzing Michael's appearance in terms of my art and storyboards for my own personal projects, which is why I feel so strongly about how an actor portraying Michael is also going to look. If they are looking to capture Michael's spirit and make the audience believe in their role, achieving accuracy in their mannerisms and appearance is very important. If an actor portrays Michael's personality well, but only vaguely looks like him, it's hard for the audience to take the role seriously. Same thing for if an actor looks so much like Michael, but sucks at portraying his personality. There needs to be some kind of balance in a way, especially for such a serious project.

EDIT: I'm also aware that this task is not easy to do. It took me years before I could be able to draw Michael's face accurately and even be able to show traces of him in my own makeup routine (A lot of the time, my own sense of fashion is inspired by Michael, although I am not imitating him per se). But that's why we have to try harder! Practice makes perfect.

That's great. But for me, I'm still not interested. Sorry. 😕 I'm preferring to focus my attention on the biopic coming out next year.

There's no way a movie like this is on the Cannes Film Festival's official selection.

Maybe it's in a little amateur film festival that happens to be in Cannes but not the real one, this looks way too amateurish to be taken seriously by critics.

Why they always make Michael look soooooo ugly? Starting with Flex Alexander and his grey skin and then Ralph Fiennes emulating Voldemort again

Feels like it's on purpose

I applaud them for the effort 👏 but yeah , it looks like shit.

Another reason why we need this big budget (backed by the estate) version.

There's no way a movie like this is on the Cannes Film Festival's official selection.

Maybe it's in a little amateur film festival that happens to be in Cannes but not the real one, this looks way too amateurish to be taken seriously by critics.
I was gonna say this, but I didn't wanna offend the team behind the movie (they're here in this thread).

I mean, either Cannes has seriously lowered its standards or something's off. It just feels kinda unreal for such a rookie project to get Cannes' attention.

Don’t you think they have still more merit? It is easy to make a film with a lot of money, but difficult when your budget is small. Obviously the love of this producer for Michael was bigger than his budget. I think it is a merit. Remaining in the theme, remember this passage from the Bible:
"Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.
Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on". (Mark 12:41-44).
Apart from the fact that looking at the trailer it doesn't seem like such a low budget to me. And the actor seems excellent.
I was gonna say this, but I didn't wanna offend the team behind the movie (they're here in this thread).

I mean, either Cannes has seriously lowered its standards or something's off. It just feels kinda unreal for such a rookie project to get Cannes' attention.

Budget is obviously an important factor, but far more important is the expertise of the people behind a project and the time they have available.
Honestly, I say this wholeheartedly but the trailer did not give me a good impression about the direction...

The first cut has a fairly ambiguous composition, with VFX and bland, amateurish photography work. The scene at the mirror has a camera that does not appear to be stabilized and is more or less shaky, as well as a total lack of post-production work that would help make everything look more cinematic instead of looking like videos recorded from a cell phone.

I know a bit about director Marabini's work, and god, I've all been told that "Vivaldi, the Red Priest" is inaccurate historically speaking, the actors involved can't act well, and it's technically obscene.

I decided to be part of this community because I love Michael Jackson, his art and his legacy. I thought I will find here a group of nice people, in love with him and his legacy as I am (legacy meaning kindness, generosity and charity - Michael's values). I realize this is a bunch of complexed people (with some exceptions, I must say), maybe unrealized in their lives and jobs - keyboard lions hidden behind their anonymity - envious, jealous and cruel, judging things and people they don't know and don't understand, with hatred and ugly words. It comes to my mind Galilei and his judge: the world and the History remembers Galilei, but nobody remembers his judge's name. I think Michael wouldn't like most of you. He was not like that. You are flattering the Estate for what reason? I understand DJs Doodles who has to imitate Michael (I wonder with how much success) for a living and maybe he needs the Estate's approval, but the rest of you? Do you think the Estate know you exist? if I were them, I would be ashamed of such supporters, they deserve better. You made of a small film of some unknown European independent filmmaker a State problem. It's laughable. Come to your senses, folks and try to embrace Michael's values, if you can.

Back