A Thread for Lamont Dozier. June 16th 1941 - August 8th 2022 RIP.

wendijane

Proud Member
We join Ms Diana Ross in sending condolences to Lamont's family. Its been confirmed Lamont has passed away at the age of 81 .

Lamont was one of three notable persons. Of the Holland–Dozier–Holland team. The songwriting and production trio is highly responsible for defining the sound of Motown.

The prolific Holland -Dozier -Holland partnership created nearly every song for Motown artists including ,The Supremes , Stevie Wonder ,
The Four Tops , The Isley Brothers , Martha and the Vendellas, The Temptations. Otis Redding , The O 'Jays , Marvin Gaye , to name but a few.

Lamont later worked with Phil Collins and Mick Hucknell from simply Red and many more names throughout the 80's.
In 1989, Lamont & Mick Hucknall teamed again to write "You've Got It" and "Turn It Up" for Simply Red's follow-up LP, A New Flame. Wow !

In 2009, he worked on the music for the musical stage version of the movie First Wives Club. He is also taught credit courses on popular music as an Artist-in-Residence Professor on the faculty at the University of Southern California Thornton School of Music in 2008.

This hugely talented powerhouse went on to record a number of albums as a performer in his own right, also writing much of the material.
Thank You Sir for all your talent & Dedication, Your work shall live on. R.I.P.

Dozier and his working partners were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1988. into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990. and Michigan Rock and Roll Legends Hall of Fame in 2010.

Holland -Dozier -Holland created Standing In The Shadows Of Love originally recorded by The Four Tops which also was on
The Jackson Five's debut album Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5.

Here is Michael and his brothers singing Standing in the Shadows of Love.

Pictured at a BMI luncheon held in Michael Jackson’s honor in 1990 are Berry Gordy, Edward Holland, Brian Holland, and Lamont Dozier.
Michael is pictured with Mr Dozier on the right. Mr Dozier has the dotted tie on.

"Business is business, love is love." -Mr Lamont Dozier 2008.

Last edited:
Last edited:

@wendijane, thank you so much. Didn't even think of doing a thread for him. I'm that addled with the news. I'm cross-posting this Four Tops song. I'll probaby add more later today.
You are welcome zinnia. I know, alot to take in. He created so much art🤯 and given sooo much, the original post keeps getting updated 🙏🌺

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas. 'Nowhere To Run'. Awesome live version.

The Supremes were OK but for me it was all about Martha. The Vandellas just had a harder edge. This song has depth.

From today's Guardian newspaper I found this:

"Martha and the Vandellas' Nowhere To Run, meanwhile, presents itself as a love song but in reality was inspired by the state of America. [Lamont] Dozier later said its claustrophobic atmosphere had more to do with seeing tanks on the streets in the wake of riots and teenagers being shipped off to Vietnam than with romance."

The Guardian / Wed 10 Aug 2022 / 'Foreman of the hit factory' by Alexis Petridis

@filmandmusic - FYI

Last edited:
Lamont was one of three notable persons. Of the Holland–Dozier–Holland team. The songwriting and production trio is highly responsible for defining the sound of Motown.
Indeed they did. They defined the sound of an entire era, imo.

The prolific Holland Dozier Holland partnership created nearly every song for many Motown artists including ,The Supremes , The Four Tops , The Isley Brothers , Martha and the Vendellas, and of course The Jackson Five and The Jacksons.
Small correction. I'm not sure they ever wrote for J5 or the Jacksons. 🙂

HDH had left Motown by 1967 / 1968 to set up their own record labels. I believe the Holland Brothers did write two songs for Michael - We're Almost There and Just A Little Bit of You.

Happy to be corrected if I've got this wrong.

Thank You Sir for all your talent & Dedication, Your work shall live on. R.I.P.
His work is eternal and infinite, imo. The solo work, the collaborative work, it will never die. 🥰 💔

Last edited:

Holland - Dozier - Holland discuss their work. Detroit Free Press.

Doesn't look like this one has been posted. Absolutely brilliant discussion of the HDH songwriting process. I was like 😲

Keep watching beyond the closing credits. There's a really cute, jokey bit to finish.

LIMF Festival, Liverpool, England. 'The Record Producers Live with Lamont Dozier (Recap)'. 2015 (?)

This one is a bit frustrating. It's a small, 6 minute compilation from what is obviously a much longer Q & A / discussion. So you get a very fragmented presentation of the discussion and it's hard to really benefit from what Lamont is saying. Everything is kind of in a vacuum rather than in a proper context. That said, it's still worth watching, imo.

Holland - Dozier - Holland discuss their work. Detroit Free Press.

Doesn't look like this one has been posted. Absolutely brilliant discussion of the HDH songwriting process. I was like 😲

Keep watching beyond the closing credits. There's a really cute, jokey bit to finish.
Thanks zinnia, That's a gem. Really appreciated- I'm absolutely captivated, The thread keeps growing and changing (apologises for that) because Mr D created just so much for society. I agree you can hear his work in...well, beyond the 1960s .and realise the art always been there. From the big Motown era , to commercials , quotes , samples in modern day music. It's fascinating.

Thanks zinnia, That's a gem. Really appreciated- I'm absolutely captivated,
It's a good 'un, isn't it? When I found that one I was SO stoked. I wish it was longer but, apart from that, no complaints from me, lol.

The thread keeps growing and changing (apologises for that) because Mr D created just so much for society.
Oh, we're not finished with this thread yet, lol. Not even close. We are here to celebrate the man. He deserves it. 🥰

The names. Holland - Dozier - Holland. That was like a mantra when I was a kid. Even before I started school, I already knew the names of these guys. That's how important Tamla was.

I agree you can hear his work in...well, beyond the 1960s .and realise the art always been there. From the big Motown era , to commercials , quotes , samples in modern day music. It's fascinating.
It really is.

Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle, “Without You” (1987) Penned by Mr Dozier. Gosh! 😮

😳💃

Provided to YouTube by Ingrooves Joyful Love · Lamont Dozier
Lamont Dozier - Reflections of Motown ℗ 2010 UPM-US Released on: 2010-10-15 Composer, Writer: Lamont Dozier

Provided to YouTube by Ingrooves Motor City Moves · Lamont Dozier
Lamont Dozier - Reflections of Motown ℗ 2010 UPM-US Released on: 2010-10-15 Composer, Writer: Lamont Dozier

Freda Payne. Band of Gold. Written by Holland - Dozier - Holland and Ron Dunbar. No.1 in the UK for six weeks. Brilliant song. The sound of the 70's.

Last edited:

Chairmen of the Board / Give Me Just A Little More Time

Another 1970's classic from Holland - Dozier - Holland and Ron Dunbar.

@filmandmusic - can't decide whether you will like this one or not, lol. 🤔

Last edited:
Back