About A Sound In The Song "Bad"...

MikeFann

Proud Member
Ever since I started listening to the song Bad, I've always been fascinated by the way the song is arranged, how it sounds, and how the rhythm section goes so well with the other instruments. Basically, I love this song!

However, what I was always curious about was this one particular sound that plays during the song. If you listen to the part before the chorus ("Well, they say the sky's the limit...") and the chorus itself, you can hear this electric piano sound playing throughout those parts. Does anyone know what electric piano that sound comes from? Now, it might be the Yamaha DX7 Rhodes but I don't know if that's the actual sound.

So, you know, if anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks. :)

Ever since I started listening to the song Bad, I've always been fascinated by the way the song is arranged, how it sounds, and how the rhythm section goes so well with the other instruments. Basically, I love this song!

However, what I was always curious about was this one particular sound that plays during the song. If you listen to the part before the chorus ("Well, they say the sky's the limit...") and the chorus itself, you can hear this electric piano sound playing throughout those parts. Does anyone know what electric piano that sound comes from? Now, it might be the Yamaha DX7 Rhodes but I don't know if that's the actual sound.

So, you know, if anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks. :)

You mean that Synth Pad thing? It could be literally any synth in the world, i don't think there is any real way of knowing unless you are a super synth expert or it's in the credits somewhere. I mean they used Yamaha's on the bad tour key board rig i think, but that doesn't mean it was used in the studio. I know in the Thriller album they were using things like minimoogs prophet 5's and Jupiter 8's, but for Bad they could have been using anything, it sounds like there are some fender rhodes heavily processed or a bell like sound they often call that kind of synth sound "fantasy" in the bg and possibly a string simulation doubling whatever the pad is aswell in the prechorus (when they say the sky's the limit) that up aswell. In the chorus i just hear the pad and some potential synth string doubling, but i really don't know, you'd need an expert if the information isn't readily available, if you find it post it as i too would be interested to know :)

I believe the Thriller album used a custom made board. There was an article about it once. Mike wanted 'this sound'... hah, no wonder they had to make it. He`s so special :)

Thanks for the help. :) If I find more info on it, I'll try to post it up on here.

As for the sound, it could be an electric piano voice with a bit more reverb on it.

Maybe we might get more information during the next few months? ;)

I would advice you to check out the forum where Bruce Swedien is at times, www.gearslutz.com. There's loads of questions and answers there regarding all of the sounds and techniques on Mike's albums..

Thanks. I have actually been on there before. It's a nice forum with nice tidbits of MJ and his recording sessions. :)

I'm sure we all agree when I say that link leads to a very informative thread! :) Now more folks can check it out easily from here.

Are talking about the solo? That's a pretty nice part as well. :)

Back