Advice about coping with Trials.. lessons from the MJfam

prismsagainst5live

Proud Member
london via northumberland via leciester via cambri
Hi

I'm trying to do some research about fandoms coping with a criminal trial as im part of one such group at the moment. I didnt become an MJ fan until 2007 and so didnt go through the trial in real time. I was wondering if anyone could help me or direct me to people/resourcesfor advice of the support/coping mechanisms used in the MJfam particularly through 2004. How did the MJfam cope in this time of shadow and uncertaincy...particularly with the issue of media and haterz..

Thanks for your time :)

Hi

I think we all coped with it differently.
I can only speak for myself, I tried to read up and follow it on tv and online.

I was 19 years old and when I had saved up enough money I flew out to Santa Maria to support Michael even if it was just for a short period of time.
At the courthouse, fans would support eachother and update eachother on what had been going on inside court that day.
I didn't understand everything that was going on because I was young and had never experienced anything like it, but being able to show my support in person meant the world to me.

I'm sure there's archives here on the forum where there are threads from that period if you want to read up on it.

Not sure if this is too late or not lol....

Our strength really was in numbers, we leaned on each other for support because frankly, it was such a difficult struggle for non-fans to understand. It was a toss up of how our non-fan friends, co-workers, family members etc. would respond to us feeling so compelled to defend Michael, so we really turned to each other to laugh, cry and for information. Nothing compared to Michael's struggle of course, but it took time, effort, money and TONS of energy to be there; we sometimes went days straight without sleep. We really felt that all we had were Michael and each other. There are groups of us that became and remain very close because of the, I guess you could say "trauma" of the trial; we were bonded in it.

As much as we all turned to websites and forums like this for additional support, a strange divide started to bubble up between fans that were at the courthouse and some of the fans that weren't able to make it out there. Almost an animosity, which I found to be really strange and especially saddening cuz I'd always felt that that was a time when we needed to be more connected than ever. I hate to say it, but I think some fans may have been jealous because their various financial/physical/professional/family responsibilities kept them from making it out to Santa Maria, and it manifested itself in weird ways. It was an emotionally charged time for ALL fans, I personally hold no hard feelings, but I remember feeling kinda isolated and wary of sharing my feelings and experiences with fans that weren't there, in fear of having my head bitten off lol. But once all those "not guilty's" were read, I think everyone let out a jumbo-sized sigh of relief lol.

This 'research' :blink: you're doing on one of the toughest times the MJ fam :wub: stood strong kind of leaves me with a BAD taste and that's WHY I haven't replied yet :unsure:

Anyway, out of an 'objective' point of view now...
How did we... or even I 'survive' this storm?

FAITH... HOPE... SUPPORT from fellow fans were 'key elements' through whole this trial... The same with all the other mayhem stuff still dragging on... The strength is always in numbers and the way we reach out to each other in :love: with no judgement :blush:

We all FEEL the same love and we all feel the same pain for the one we love and was put through hell :sigh:

When things go bump in the night, then ONLY you realize who your BEST friends are and who are only 'faking' it :cheeky:

HONESTY is very important too... BEING YOURSELF... Feelings are NEVER wrong and don't need any explaining... Just RESPECT and UNDERSTANDING and that is what I found here... That's WHY I call MJJCommunity my HOME. :wub:

Back