Album/Song Differences

threatened2020

Proud Member
I noticed in a previous thread that apparently the mix of Bad album in 1987 differs slightly to the 1988 version. I have searched on youtube and can see no examples of this.

It got me thinking though, surely once an album is out for sale that should be the definitive version unless it has stated as either a remaster or special edition?

Has MJ ever had changes to other albums without them being highlighted?

There're few songs which were changed on subsequent album releases. This isn't only limited to the Bad album.

From the top of my head following changes were made (compared to their initial release):

• Bad: some horns were removed
  • TWYMMF: adlibs were added to the outro
  • DD: shorter outro
  • IJCSLY: lack of spoken intro
  • SC: the heavy breathing's removed, and something else has been changed (I don't remember it now)
  • RWY: hand claps were added to the choruses as well as some other minor mixing changes
  • GOTF & OTW: I don't recall any details atm
  • TDCAU: the words "kick me, **** me" were overdubbed with soundeffects
  • History: intro was change due to copyright

Different Kind Of Lady

On the picture disc version of The Jacksons' album Goin' Places, there's a different mix of Different Kind Of Lady.

Technically the original Bad album was different. The mixes weren't different, but Leave Me Alone was only on the CD, not the LP or cassette. That was somewhat common at the time though. Before CDs came out, sometimes the cassette version of an album had different mixes or extra songs. Also sometimes the single versions were different. I don't mean shortened from a longer album version, but had a remix or re-recorded version. People would buy the album and be upset that the version that they heard on the radio wasn't on it :rofl:

I once made a list of all the songs which are different in later album pressings, here it is:

With A Child's Heart: Xylophone intro added
Johnny Raven: Strings intro added
Different Kind Of Lady: Horns added, Tito's final lines removed
Rock With You: Claps added, guitar & total vibe mixed different
Get On The Floor: Claps added, total vibe mixed different
Billie Jean: "Oh no" from 2nd verse heard more clear
Torture: Jackie's falsetto ad-libs added
Bad: Some horns removed
The Way You Make Me Feel: Intro hat removed, fingersnap at the end of 2nd chorus removed, ad-libs added in the end
I Just Can't Stop Loving You: Spoken words removed
Dirty Diana: Different snares in the chorus, shorter outro with extra backing vocals and part of crowd effects removed
Smooth Criminal: Heavy breath removed, different drums (especially the first stroke)
They Don't Care About Us: Censored with sound effects
HIStory: Different intro instrumentation

As for Off The Wall, the differences only appear on single mixes, as the European mix has different claps and Japanese & US mix has heavy reverbs and slightly different guitars, which didn't appear on later album pressings

Last edited:
According to an older forum post & mp3 share, later CDs of Invincible had a short loud sound (some door slam + reverb type of bang) added in the very beginning of the first song Unbreakable.

(Probably added to make listeners aware of the actual volume of the music, as the rest of the ~20 sec intro is very low volume before the beat finally kicks in loud.)

I can't find this version on YouTube. Can anyone confirm this was on CDs?

Last edited:
According to an older forum post & mp3 share, later CDs of Invincible had a short loud sound (some door slam + reverb type of bang) added in the very beginning of the first song Unbreakable.

(Probably added to make listeners aware of the actual volume of the music, as the rest of the ~20 sec intro is very low volume before the beat finally kicks in loud.)

I can't find this version on YouTube. Can anyone confirm this was on CDs?

I once had this version, but the guy who gave this to me said it was from a vinyl source, not CD, and it matches all the descriptions you gave. I lost it when my old laptop broke down and never came back with previous datas. What a shame.

I have never heard the spoken word intro to IJCSLY at all. I didn't know it even existed until i watched to bad 25 doc.

I'm not technically minded admittedly, but the original Bad album I've got, Michael's vocals sound quite low in the mix to be honest.

There's a few songs on the record were Mike's vocals sound drowned out by the wall of instruments, like TWYMMF (his adlibs are turned down too) and Speed Demon

Here you will find all versions of each song (if any) and where to find them
This is a GREAT website, I wish the owner had updated it with the most recent releases. I think he stopped after "Xscape" was released. Does anyone know if he's in this forum? He's French and his nickname on that blog is becane.

Last edited:

Here you will find all versions of each song (if any) and where to find them
Hasn't been updated in ages.
Weizengrassaft's version is much more complete

Any more changes in regards to Invincible?

Back