Another Part Of Me - Song discussion

I think that's mainly because producers in the 80s en masse started to rely on a lot of the same digital instruments. I mean, you can't listen to a pop or r&b ballad from the mid to late 80s without being doused in DX7 Rhodes chords. These things sounded fresh back then but the capabilities of the equipment were relatively limited. This made a lot of music sound more sterile than cuts from the 60s and 70s. I also think the reliance on synths and drum machines (again: with limited capabilities back then) also stripped away some of the complexity of the music. Of course there are always exceptions though.

Doesn't mean there wasn't great music being created in the 80s. And I agree that something sounding like it comes from a particular time is not a negative.

I think that can be a good thing, because it causes an artist to be more creative and think outside the box. Sometimes the more limited you are, the more creative you become

Another reason why I hate the term ''dated'' is because it sounds like people are saying ''This song was good once, but now it's like an expired bottle of milk that needs to be thrown out''

And (going a bit off topic here) why is it only the 80's that get picked on for this kind of stuff? There are plenty of songs from the 60's that sound like they came from that decade, and there are plenty of songs from the 70's that sound like they came from that decade. So why does the 80's get picked on for sounding ''dated'' but the 60's and 70's get a free pass? The 60's especially

The 80's were I think when electronic influence crept into the music scene. Some carried that influence well (Thriller album or Somebody's Watching Me or Kiss - by Prince) while others couldn't get out of that timeframe.

For the record, I don't think almost any other musician had the ability to sound fresh after so many decades as Michael did. Part of that is the way MJ recorded his vocals - with no static, or the wailing or the roughness that was prevalent in those earlier times. In Bad, MJ became more "current". It worked in some songs - in fact it worked excellently for the most part e.g Dirty Diana, MITM, Bad - but it dragged down some tracks as well. All of this is just my opinion of course.

Btw, I think Elvis, the Beatles are dated as hell. If every other white critic hadn't been praising them like they were gods or something, they probably wouldn't be as popular today.

Last edited:
Bad is still Michael's second most popular album after Thriller both on streaming services and on the charts. It still charts regularly, in fact it's on the Billboard 200 for months as we speak. So I think all the criticism about how "dated" supposedly it sounds is a bit over-emphasized by some. In actuality, it seems to be a very much liked album by the general public STILL, 28 years after its release.

Bad is still Michael's second most popular album after Thriller both on streaming services and on the charts. It still charts regularly, in fact it's on the Billboard 200 for months as we speak. So I think all the criticism about how "dated" supposedly it sounds is a bit over-emphasized by some. In actuality, it seems to be a very much liked album by the general public STILL, 28 years after its release.

The reason for that is because OTW and MJ's 90's albums have never received the kinda praise they deserve. There was a discussion going on in the forum sometime ago and they weren't even certain if Dangerous 25 was going to be released. The 80's as a whole is considered to be MJ's primetime by most critics and the media and they've been feeding it to the public constantly that MJ is yesterday's news since the early 90's. The less + negative publicity is the only reason why Dangerous gets underrated.

The reason for that is because OTW and MJ's 90's albums have never received the kinda praise they deserve. There was a discussion going on in the forum sometime ago and they weren't even certain if Dangerous 25 was going to be released. The 80's as a whole is considered to be MJ's primetime by most critics and the media and they've been feeding it to the public constantly that MJ is yesterday's news since the early 90's. The less + negative publicity is the only reason why Dangerous gets underrated.

Dangerous yes. But in regards of Off The Wall, it's a lot more praised album in the media than Bad. Some critics even put it above Thriller - it definitely gets positive press most of the time. Bad is a mixed bag in terms of press and critical support. Not saying they are right or wrong - I personally never cared about the press' or critics' opinion and most of the time I do not agree with them. Just saying that generally I'd say OTW tends to be more acclaimed and more supported by the music press than Bad. So if that was the reason then OTW should sell more than Bad which is not the case. People just LOVE Bad no matter what the press or the "dated" brigade says. :p

I agree about his 90's albums not getting the praise they deserve, but Off The Wall gets on tons of praise from critics and the media. It's probably his second most praised album after Thriller. And tons of modern artists praise Off The Wall as being a major influence on them

But the two albums that really deserve more praise are Destiny and Triumph

Awesome song and it's even better live:

I like the ending that wasn't in the album version.

Dangerous deserves more acclaim that it has received

But there is no doubt the 80s were the most successful period of his solo career

With Off The Wall, he and Quincy created the greatest R&B/soul album of all time

With Thriller, the greatest selling albun of all time

And Bad, the most anticipated follow up of all time

And mixed in between those landmarks, he made grounbreaking videos including the best one of them all

Co wrote We Are The World to support a global relief effort, made great collaborations with Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, and Mick Jagger, penned a number of great songs for other artists,

And gave the most memorable TV song/dance performance ever

No doubt, the 80s were it

But there is no doubt the 80s were the most successful period of his solo career

With Off The Wall, he and Quincy created the greatest R&B/soul album of all time

And mixed in between those landmarks, he made grounbreaking videos including the best one of them all

Co wrote We Are The World to support a global relief effort, made great collaborations with Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, and Mick Jagger, penned a number of great songs for other artists,

TWO most memorable TV song/dance performances ever: Motown 25 and Grammys 88.

The 90's may not top the 80's in sales but DWT broke BWT's record for being the highest grossing world tour, HWT topped DWT later. HWT also broke BWT's record of the most attended tour. Black or White is the most successful MJ single of all time. It had also the most viewed music video - yes, more viewed than any of his 80's music videos. His Superbowl performance was also the most viewed. Dangerous is the biggest selling NJS album, HIStory is the best selling double album, BotDF is the best selling remix album. Scream debuted at #5 making another record while YANA broke the same record by debuting at #1. There are many other huge achievements but I'm sure you already know that.

Anyway, I think the convo has detracted from the topic too much lol :p .

I love Another Part Of Me!! What a song, the message, the lyrics and the funkiness. This is one of the most funky tracks Mike ever released.
With how big an influence James Brown was on him, I'm surprised he didn't do more funky songs like this after the Dangerous album.
The song was incredible live as well, it's one of the best parts of the Bad Tour, it just makes the song even better which didn't seem possible
Oh and them adlibs :yes:
This is our doom baby Hee

I agree about his 90's albums not getting the praise they deserve, but Off The Wall gets on tons of praise from critics and the media. It's probably his second most praised album after Thriller. And tons of modern artists praise Off The Wall as being a major influence on them

But the two albums that really deserve more praise are Destiny and Triumph

Absolutely!!!Destiny mirrored the template for his future lyrical content.

Last edited:
Destiny is one of his most personal albums. I put it up there with HIStory

Yer, Bless His Soul, Destiny, Things I Do For You and That's What You Get. Those are some seriously deep and personal songs right there.

“As a producer, this is the song [“Another Part Of Me”]. I just admire the instrumentation. It’s so funky, and it’s got instruments doing these intricate patterns, and it doesn’t have a chorus-chorus. It’s the setup. That’s the best pre-chorus ever written. And then the pay off is “it’s just another part of me.” This song shows why Michael Jackson is the king.” – Bruno Mars

https://www.facebook.com/michaeljac...10153587409816473/?type=1&fref=nf&pnref=story

Re: Bruno Mars On Another Part Of Me

Shaun Escoffery on "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)": http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02jynbv

Tyler James on "Liberian Girl": http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p012m4dp

Sam Smith on "You Rock My World": http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02glv9y

Matt Cardle on "Dirty Diana": http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00q1lv0

Lenny Kravitz on "The Love You Save": http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02ckhwp

John Newman on "Workin' Day and Night": http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p022cyyv Just though I'd note that this guy has insane musical knowledge, I suggest you guys listen to the whole clip.

Shane Filan on "Man In The Mirror": http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01pfqwg

Andy Burrows on "Leave Me Alone": http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p013fcv5

Darren Hayes on "Human Nature": http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00pxj19

Last edited:

Another Part Of Me IS funk! One of the best. That baseline is immortal.

What did slash say about GITM? can't get it to work

Another Part Of Me IS funk! One of the best. That baseline is immortal.

What did slash say about GITM? can't get it to work

Download Zenmate and then switch your IP address to the U.K. location.

Back