Another Part Of Me - Song discussion

Psychoniff

Proud Member
Last edited:
Re: Bruno Mars On Another Part Of Me

I loved this interview with Bruno-He always gives the most CHARMING interviews and he really knows his musical history. I swear if my heart didn't already totally belong to Michael or if Michael never existed, he would be it for me. I'm already crushing bad enough-he always puts a smile on my face.

I've been noticing that recently Another Part Of Me as being getting a lot of love, and I'm really happy about that. That song is one of my favorite MJ songs of all time and its my second favorite song on the BAD album. It's one of the funkiest songs Michael ever did. And it's even better live. and I wish he would have performed it more

And on a side note. I love the way Michael sings ''You're just another pwart of me'' lol

Last edited:
I've been noticing that recently Another Part Of Me as being getting a lot of love, and I'm really happy about that. That song is one of my favorite MJ songs of all time and its my second favorite song on the BAD album. It's one of the funkiest songs Michael ever did. And it's even better live. and I wish he would have performed it more

And on a side note. I love the way Michael sings ''You're just another pwart of me'' lol

Absolutely - I agree with everything here. Too often I feel it's written off as something a bit trivial that doesn't really belong on Bad.

I love it-always have. Always will. It's the live performance that I always refer to when people cast doubt on him being the greatest entertainer of all time.

Love, love, love the song and love, love, love his performance of it! Two words: Kansas City. Such high energy! Although it's kinda smoldering just under the surface at times. :)

^ Um ok...

anyways! Another Part Of Me, it's hard to think that it almost didn't make the album.. and the only Another Part Of Me we would have known would be from Captain EO..

I'm sure it would have been later released but still!

^ Um ok...

anyways! Another Part Of Me, it's hard to think that it almost didn't make the album.. and the only Another Part Of Me we would have known would be from Captain EO..

I'm sure it would have been later released but still!
It is amazing to think that-I've been blasting it all day since this thread was created.

One of his greatest songs. The live version is just aces. I love the ending with him just funking out

APOM live is pure joy! Just Michael, the music and a huge stage. I love watching / hearing different live versions in a row :blush:

Also: The lyrics are so wonderful!
Well, "You´re just another part of me" is something everybody should keep telling each other. Because it is the truth...

I only really like the live version. The recorded one is... it's too dated and never had the same effect other songs in Bad had on me.

I hate the term ''dated''. That makes it sound like any music that came out before is crap, and modern music is automatically better

I had to reply in this thread cuz this IS and always have been one of my favorite songs by Michael.

Lisha, yeah, KC is great but Wembley 88 is it!! 7-16 to be exact. :heat:
I mean he just kills it in that performance. The energy he posses in that show practically gushes out of the screen at you!
You can't help but move, shake, and wiggle something when he's performing it. Yeah boyee! Hahaha!
And don't get me started on those facial expressions and lip biting moments. OhEmGee!

It really does feel good!

Entertainment at it's finest.

Thank you Michael. :girl_in_love:

Last edited:
I hate the term ''dated''. That makes it sound like any music that came out before is crap, and modern music is automatically better

Not really. I'm attracted to music that ages well. For example... TWYMMF, Dirty Diana, MITM, Dangerous, Remember the Time, TDCAU, Superfly Sister, Smells Like Teen Spirit, The Dope Show, Mechanical Animals etc etc.

It's not like all of these songs sound like they were made just yesterday, but they all have the ability to sound fresh through the coming decades.

To me something not sounding like today's music is a plus not a minus. LOL.

Lisha, yeah, KC is great but Wembley 88 is it!! 7-16 to be exact. :heat:
I mean he just kills it in that performance. The energy he posses in that show practically gushes out of the screen at you!
You can't help but move, shake, and wiggle something when he's performing it. Yeah boyee! Hahaha!
And don't get me started on those facial expressions and lip biting moments. OhEmGee!

It really does feel good!

Entertainment at it's finest.

Thank you Michael. :girl_in_love:
ABSOLUTELY!!! Every single time someone tries to tell me that Michael did some OK videos, or he was a good kid singer, etc. I always ask them if they've seen him LIVE and this is the one I'll show them. You NAILED the description-Ball of energy from the curls on his head down to his toes-never, ever seen anything like that-ever.

I hate both the terms "dated" and "relevant" equally.

Lets try to remember 'dated' and 'outdated' are two different things... dated is not always used in a negative connotation while outdated is.. Yes generally a song that cannot be dated easily has a longer life in terms of general playing power over time.. It does not mean it's a bad thing if a song is dated.. simply means you can tell it's from a specific time frame.. when you say "this is so a 90's song" or "this sounds like a 70's song" that's dated... a song that comes out today technically can sound dated for an older time and be a hit... for example Up Town Funk. that is a dated song with a new gen flavor to it..

Lets try to remember 'dated' and 'outdated' are two different things... dated is not always used in a negative connotation while outdated is.. Yes generally a song that cannot be dated easily has a longer life in terms of general playing power over time.. It does not mean it's a bad thing if a song is dated.. simply means you can tell it's from a specific time frame.. when you say "this is so a 90's song" or "this sounds like a 70's song" that's dated... a song that comes out today technically can sound dated for an older time and be a hit... for example Up Town Funk. that is a dated song with a new gen flavor to it..

Exactly. I love Daft Punk's songs like "Lose Yourself to Dance" and "Instant Crush" - you'd get instantly (forgive the pun) hooked to the rhythms, the vocals and the amazing music although they sound like 80's. That kinda music, which every generation can like is timeless music.

But, Another Part of Me is too dated, the music, the synths. I can't listen to it for more than 2 times. Whereas I've got the whole Off the Wall, Thriller, Dangerous and HIStory albums on repeat. They don't let the 70's/80's/90's generic music get in the way. For example, Remember the Time can easily blend into a song from Off the Wall. But it can also easily blend into Invincible. Or an excellent, solid, modern R&B record (of MJ if he had made one). Same with YANA. Same with Black or White or Off the Wall or Thriller or Billie Jean.

I hope you get what I'm saying!

A great song, upbeat feel with the whole "We can change the world philosophy" I can't say much more, but enjoyable, positive, upbeat and suprememly wonderful Michael Jackson music here. It is also one of his most accessible songs ever.

Again if anyone wants deeper reasoning, listen to the song and you will get it.

Another reason why I hate the term ''dated'' is because it sounds like people are saying ''This song was good once, but now it's like an expired bottle of milk that needs to be thrown out''

And (going a bit off topic here) why is it only the 80's that get picked on for this kind of stuff? There are plenty of songs from the 60's that sound like they came from that decade, and there are plenty of songs from the 70's that sound like they came from that decade. So why does the 80's get picked on for sounding ''dated'' but the 60's and 70's get a free pass? The 60's especially

Last edited:
Another reason why I hate the term ''dated'' is because it sounds like people are saying ''This song was good once, but now it's like an expired bottle of milk that needs to be thrown out''

And (going a bit off topic here) why is it only the 80's that get picked on for this kind of stuff? There are plenty of songs from the 60's that sound like they came from that decade, and there are plenty of songs from the 70's that sound like they came from that decade. So why does the 80's get picked on for sounding ''dated'' but the 60's and 70's get a free pass? The 60's especially

I actually think the 60's have the least dated songs to be honest.

I think that's mainly because producers in the 80s en masse started to rely on a lot of the same digital instruments. I mean, you can't listen to a pop or r&b ballad from the mid to late 80s without being doused in DX7 Rhodes chords. These things sounded fresh back then but the capabilities of the equipment were relatively limited. This made a lot of music sound more sterile than cuts from the 60s and 70s. I also think the reliance on synths and drum machines (again: with limited capabilities back then) also stripped away some of the complexity of the music. Of course there are always exceptions though.

Doesn't mean there wasn't great music being created in the 80s. And I agree that something sounding like it comes from a particular time is not a negative.

Back