Anyone got that Dangerous tour rehearsal where MJ sings part of "Baby Be Mine"

The original demo of PYT? Yeah that's probably what I'm thinking of lol

Thst would make more sense. Except he said "It's something I've written but haven't recorded yet" which is like the exact opposite. Idk.
The term “recorded” can be understood in so many ways, especially with regard to Michael and his work. Michael wasn’t a classical composer and he didn’t know a whole lot of musical theory, so for him the writing and recording processes were inevitably intertwined.

Anything he ever “wrote” was either sung into a tape recorder or directly into a microphone in the studio. In the case of the P.Y.T. demo, it is pretty clear that the demo we have is from 1981/82, judging by the vocals.

So, what he meant in that clip from the rehearsals is either what @SmoothCriminal1995 wrote above, which is also the way I have always understood it, or the fact that he is yet to properly record the song, taking it a step further from its demo form.

The term “recorded” can be understood in so many ways, especially with regard to Michael and his work. Michael wasn’t a classical composer and he didn’t know a whole lot of musical theory, so for him the writing and recording processes were inevitably intertwined.

Anything he ever “wrote” was either sung into a tape recorder or directly into a microphone in the studio. In the case of the P.Y.T. demo, it is pretty clear that the demo we have is from 1981/82, judging by the vocals.

So, what he meant in that clip from the rehearsals is either what @SmoothCriminal1995 wrote above, which is also the way I have always understood it, or the fact that he is yet to properly record the song, taking it a step further from its demo form.
I just went ahead and looked it up.

Quincy Jones came up with the original title for the song after his wife, Peggy Lipton, brought lingerie with the words "pretty young thing" on it. From there, Jones asked several songwriters to write a song around the title. Jackson and musician Greg Phillinganes co-wrote and recorded a demo, which was presented to Jones by Phillinganes. That version is featured on The Ultimate Collection (2004). Jackson recalls that his version with Phillinganes wasn't what Jones was looking for. "Quincy wanted a fast song. Mine was mid-tempo."[2] When James Ingram presented his demo, Jones said "that's it," and sent Ingram home to finish the lyrics. Jones then suggested they extend the bridge and add a chant section, resulting in Jones receiving a co-writer's credit.

So maybe it was further polished and mixed, more added to it? But More than likely he did mean release it.

I just went ahead and looked it up.

Quincy Jones came up with the original title for the song after his wife, Peggy Lipton, brought lingerie with the words "pretty young thing" on it. From there, Jones asked several songwriters to write a song around the title. Jackson and musician Greg Phillinganes co-wrote and recorded a demo, which was presented to Jones by Phillinganes. That version is featured on The Ultimate Collection (2004). Jackson recalls that his version with Phillinganes wasn't what Jones was looking for. "Quincy wanted a fast song. Mine was mid-tempo."[2] When James Ingram presented his demo, Jones said "that's it," and sent Ingram home to finish the lyrics. Jones then suggested they extend the bridge and add a chant section, resulting in Jones receiving a co-writer's credit.

So maybe it was further polished and mixed, more added to it? But More than likely he did mean release it.
Yes. It’s important to point out, however, that we do not know for sure if Michael ever presented his demo to Quincy. He never explicitly stated that he did and Quincy did not recall an MJ version of P.Y.T., when asked about it in an interview for Thriller 25.

Yes. It’s important to point out, however, that we do not know for sure if Michael ever presented his demo to Quincy. He never explicitly stated that he did and Quincy did not recall an MJ version of P.Y.T., when asked about it in an interview for Thriller 25.
That is true, not exactly important maybe. But definitely interesting. I would like to see that interview.

What I secretly was speculating, mentally, was if MJ ever wanted to do anything with his P.Y.T. version. At least the melody? He let will I am remix it in 2008 so there's something at least.

It is funny that Michael sang PYT demo live, albeit during a rehearsal, but never the final version released on Thriller. I so wish PYT was performed live.

Nevertheless, I would actually like to see the entire EPK.

I should mention that the P.Y.T. demo likely became "Someone Put Your Hand Out", since the 1987 demo shares some lyrics around the end. Also both demos just sound incredibly similar imo. "Someone Put Your Hand Out" would later come out the same year during the tour.

I should mention that the P.Y.T. demo likely became "Someone Put Your Hand Out", since the 1987 demo shares some lyrics around the end. Also both demos just sound incredibly similar imo. "Someone Put Your Hand Out" would later come out the same year during the tour.
I concur !!

I've never put that together but I just did in my head

Sir, you have just transcended with this take. Absolute big brain energy.

Back