Apparently, Man in the Mirror has sold 30 million units. Siedah Garrett was awarded with a physical plaque for the single reaching 30 million

IhateTheMedia

Proud Member
Country
United-States
1700010855431-png.5320779

Unlike most things were we can be skeptical, this is very very specific and not ambiguous at all. It clearly states the single has sold that amount in all formats. Makes me wonder how much the big 3 sold (Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller)
Yes yes yes. I wonder too

They didn’t add album sales, it’s a certification plaque for the album the song is on. Siedah, having only written Man In The Mirror on that album, received a customised award, which mentions it specifically.

I doubt it tbh. I reckon it has probably sold around 10 million.

According to official figures on Wikipedia, only 3 singles in history have surpassed 30 million sales. MITM is not one of those singles. This is clearly an example of the music industry making up lies to mislead people.

Unlike most things were we can be skeptical, this is very very specific and not ambiguous at all. It clearly states the single has sold that amount in all formats.
Yes, its specific and unambiguous. But not actually correct.

According to official figures on Wikipedia, only 3 singles in history have surpassed 30 million sales. MITM is not one of those singles. This is clearly an example of the music industry making up lies to mislead people.

Yes, its specific and unambiguous. But not actually correct.
Chartmasters has Billie Jean at nearly 50 million

Put it this way, the single is out of print - there were never 30 million copies for Sony to sell!

The number of copies that have been sold in the last 30 years is exactly zero. It has not climbed since whatever it was in 1990

Oh, I just looked up Chartmasters... Sorry, but the whole site is bogus. Made up from fake nonsense. Those aren't single sales at all, he admits he includes ringtones and YouTube views and everything else, lol. Billie Jean did not sell anywhere near 50 million copies.

Oh, I just looked up Chartmasters... Sorry, but the whole site is bogus. Made up from fake nonsense. Those aren't single sales at all, he admits he includes ringtones and YouTube views and everything else, lol. Billie Jean did not sell anywhere near 50 million copies.
Wikipedia is biased, Chartmasters isn't credible either, god knows how awful the press is. We are literally cursed as fans

Wikipedia is ... neutral. We're discussing facts, after all. Wikipedia is edited by fans and non-fans alike.

But really, if we're going to attack the tabloids/TV for not fact-checking their information, the least we can do is fact-check our own information before creating threads on a message board.

Put it this way, the single is out of print - there were never 30 million copies for Sony to sell!

The number of copies that have been sold in the last 30 years is exactly zero. It has not climbed since whatever it was in 1990
yep

streams and single sales should be completely separated imo
It took effort to buy a single, it doesn’t take effort to stream a song. The fact that fan groups make concerted efforts to stream songs for them to chart is abusing the point of a singles chart.

Worldwide purely single sales I estimate MITM between 1 million and 1,5 million.

Last edited:
Wikipedia is ... neutral. We're discussing facts, after all. Wikipedia is edited by fans and non-fans alike.

But really, if we're going to attack the tabloids/TV for not fact-checking their information, the least we can do is fact-check our own information before creating threads on a message board.
Wikipedia is biased AF and they tell you in school it's not credible

I wouldn't know what they tell you in school.

If biased is another word for "printing stuff you don't want to read", then yeah, I guess.

Using the term "reliable source" in the Wikipedia sense. It doesn't mean it's not correct, lol.

I've edited thousands of Wikipedia pages, removing stuff that isn't neutral. Millions of other editors do the same thing.

For simple fact checking, like sales figures,, it's fine, lol.

But that's off topic. When are you going to change the title of this topic? It's wrong, misleading and sensationalist.

Chartmasters is the best side to get real numbers
The site literally tells you it's their own hypothetical CALCULATION of the numbers. It's nothing to do with sales.

Wikipedia is not a credible source and never will be. It's literally the first thing you learn in school.
I mean, it depends. Some articles are very well researched, usually the ones that are sourced properly. Wikipedia can be a very useful tool, it just depends on how you use it. If it is information on Michael Jackson‘s unreleased songs that you’re looking for, then it probably won’t be a credible source.

Like, when you write off Wikipedia as biased, it's not like there's a dozen people sitting in a room, conspiring to slander MJ with a complex web of lies, lol. It is simply NOT biased in the way you think it is.

But anyway, that's way off topic. I don't know why you keep coming back to it.

Again, the sales figures are the sales figures. They're not open to interpretation or debate. The fact remains, MITM is not the most successful single ever, and therefore that plaque pictured above is wrong.

I just think it's REALLY important that if we're going to hate/attack the media for spreading untruths, we owe it to each other to do the same thing ourselves.

So... Please can you rename the thread?

Like, when you write off Wikipedia as biased, it's not like there's a dozen people sitting in a room, conspiring to slander MJ with a complex web of lies, lol. It is simply NOT biased in the way you think it is.

But anyway, that's way off topic. I don't know why you keep coming back to it.

Again, the sales figures are the sales figures. They're not open to interpretation or debate. The fact remains, MITM is not the most successful single ever, and therefore that plaque pictured above is wrong.

I just think it's REALLY important that if we're going to hate/attack the media for spreading untruths, we owe it to each other to do the same thing ourselves.

So... Please can you rename the thread?
The plaque didn't say it's the most successful ever.

As it is, this is referring to the Bad album itself. The album did sell that many, and has been stated to be more even. The single by itself, no, it's not. But oh well.

He sold nearly 100 million records in 2009, with over 40 million global single sales recorded that year. So his total numbers, incl. Digital should be far higher
Sigh.

According to MSNBC, "In the 12 months that followed his death Jackson sold 35 million albums worldwide".

If we assume half was in 2009 and half in 2010, that's about 18 million in each calendar year.

Is this claim of "100 million" Sony's typical approach of think of a random number and then quadruple it, then put a zero on the end?

Back