Are people allowed to just make ANY kind of book?

I was looking for a certain new Michael Jackson book (in comic form basically) very cool, when i strolled upon these..and really..i gotta wonder. Isn't there a limit, a boundary for this? Are people just allowed to write ANYTHING and call it a book and sell it as a book? Jesus.

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Jacks...1_107?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295695495&sr=1-107

http://www.amazon.com/FREAK-Inside-...r_1_77?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295695695&sr=1-77

We have laws against all kinds of things, rules and what not. But not with books? Well...i say its about damn time then!!!!

Wow, just wow. I'm also curious about where the line is in legality of certain topics related to public figures. Can anyone write anything as long as they don't infringe on copyrights and trademarks? Sigh, I don't get it.

those books are digusting...all lies of course..I really am quite sick of people writeing this ish aout Michael and getting away with it.

Yeah, basically, anyone's pretty much allowed to do anything these days, under protected freedom of speech. Didn't you hear about the guy who was writing the pro-pedophilia books on Amazon.com? Phillip Greaves, I believe the author's name was. They got taken down, albeit reluctantly, but they had been permitted to be there for ages unrestricted, due to the first amendment right of freedom of expression, etc. It wasn't until a mass protest that people made Amazon take them down, but there's probably lots of other equally horrendous garbage floating around, unnoticed, such as The Hidden Hitler by Lothar Machtan--yet another book stating a claim with no evidence whatsoever to back it up, and plenty of evidence to refute it.

Self-publishing makes it easy for people to write pretty much whatever they please. I knew a "professor" of mine who published her own book through a self-publishing company. It was littered with all sorts of embarrassing spelling/grammar mistakes. :no:

Back