Article: Will Pop Music Ever Produce Another Michael Jackson?

That "featuring" thing is something I think is unfair with Billboard. I've read an artist like Rihanna or Katy Perry can release a single and it goes to the top 10, but not #1. And then later, pull it back, feature somebody and it goes to number one. That doesn't seem right.

(I didn't realize Elvis had a big comeback in 2000s.)

He was the king of kings salewise in the 1950s but then come the 1960s. He had been in the army for two years, got into gospel music, a horrendous film contract (courtesy of his money-hungry manager) and the world moved on for the most part as other artists took over. He had a bit of a comeback late 60s, early 70s but then that dipped again until he died in '77. Not sure how he did in the 80s/90s (probably pretty meh, his music hasn't aged too greatly), but he did have a revival in the early 2000s with the success of ELV1S and that amazing remix to A Little Less Conversation, I believe that was my first introduction to him and I was only a kid!

I'd imagine Elvis did well in the 90's. His Soundscan total up until September 2002 was 18.5 million. I unfortunately can't find anything about his sales purely in the 90's. However, given that total is up until 2002 most of the sales will of been in the 90s.

That "featuring" thing is something I think is unfair with Billboard. I've read an artist like Rihanna or Katy Perry can release a single and it goes to the top 10, but not #1. And then later, pull it back, feature somebody and it goes to number one. That doesn't seem right.

I don't think you can call it a comeback really. Elvis did well before the ELV1S album. In the US at least.

What websites do you frequent?
I mainly frequent Twitter now, but on all of the websites I used to frequent (ATRL for example) it was always other fanbases coming for Michael and then MJ fans defending him.

This isn't the sort of thing you can really debate anyway, everyone's milage will differ so I really want to keep this short and sweet (I can easily ramble so I've cut this down ahah). To answer your question, I'm not as big on MJ fansites as I used to be, so it's mainly here nowadays that I come my Michael dose. In the past I did used to visit MJ tumblrs ages ago, and currently I tend to read comment sections on any MJ facebook/website article I come across as well.

Over the years, yes, I have seen some MJ fans downplay or even outright ignore other artists achievements to make MJ seem better and I have tried to call them out on it. I've sometimes seen them share downright false information about artists to the point where even if I'm not fans of those artists, I've stepped in and been like well actually..... Maybe they'll just straight up insult an artist. Sometimes it'll be as petty as calling artists by nicknames (i.e. Justin Beaver), which I do find oddly hypocritical for a fanbase that hates a certain nickname for their own idol (and rightfully so). I'm fine with people not being fans of various artists obviously, I just think we should treat everyone the way you wish to be treated, ya know? Recognise their achievements.

Thankfully I've met MANY amazing MJ fans who are respectful of all artists. It's just unfortunate I've run into a number of MJ fans over the years who have lashed out at other artists to varying degrees and this, combined with some other characteristics, has sometimes left a bitter taste in my mouth and made me feel disconnected with the MJ fanbase at times. I have my on and off days :)

If you want to disagree, that's cool. I'm not interested in debating about this (how can you exactly anyway?). These are just some of what I've personally experienced over the years and like I said, your milage will differ!

Well it was definitely a comeback to the top of the charts around the world. Take a look at here and here! :)

I'd imagine Elvis did well in the 90's. His Soundscan total up until September 2002 was 18.5 million. I unfortunately can't find anything about his sales purely in the 90's. However, given that total is up until 2002 most of the sales will of been in the 90s.

That's actually not too bad! Thanks for that.

This isn't the sort of thing you can really debate anyway, everyone's milage will differ so I really want to keep this short and sweet (I can easily ramble so I've cut this down ahah). To answer your question, I'm not as big on MJ fansites as I used to be, so it's mainly here nowadays that I come my Michael dose. In the past I did used to visit MJ tumblrs ages ago, and currently I tend to read comment sections on any MJ facebook/website article I come across as well.

Over the years, yes, I have seen some MJ fans downplay or even outright ignore other artists achievements to make MJ seem better and I have tried to call them out on it. I've sometimes seen them share downright false information about artists to the point where even if I'm not fans of those artists, I've stepped in and been like well actually..... Maybe they'll just straight up insult an artist. Sometimes it'll be as petty as calling artists by nicknames (i.e. Justin Beaver), which I do find oddly hypocritical for a fanbase that hates a certain nickname for their own idol (and rightfully so). I'm fine with people not being fans of various artists obviously, I just think we should treat everyone the way you wish to be treated, ya know? Recognise their achievements.

Thankfully I've met MANY amazing MJ fans who are respectful of all artists. It's just unfortunate I've run into a number of MJ fans over the years who have lashed out at other artists to varying degrees and this, combined with some other characteristics, has sometimes left a bitter taste in my mouth and made me feel disconnected with the MJ fanbase at times. I have my on and off days :)

If you want to disagree, that's cool. I'm not interested in debating about this (how can you exactly anyway?). These are just some of what I've personally experienced over the years and like I said, your milage will differ!

I see what you mean, and I'm not going to fully disagree.
But overall I still do think MJ fans are relatively very respectful and tame compared to other fanbases.
I have seen MJ fans tear into other artist, but most of the time it's in response to something someone else has said.
And as far as the name calling I think that Justin Bieber in particular deserves it considering he's a racist asshole anyway. :)

Just a thought about the Kanye thing that's not technically about Kanye himself or him passing the record, If and when Michael breaks some big record the media BETTER act like their doing now.
Some media outlets are acting like Kanye is the second coming of Jesus Christ because he passed a relatively non-important record that Michael held.
I kid you not, Michael could become the best selling solo artist of all time and the media wouldn't act the way they're acting now.

But then again the media has NEVER given Michael his props, and has always downplayed him, so I don't know what I expected/expect. *shrugs*

Last edited:
I recall there was a similar amount of hoopla when Thriller became the first album to certified 30x Platinum in the USA :)

I kept up with almost all of the articles that were made and every media outlet that reported on Thriller going 30x platinum, and trust me there wasn't half as much
tumblr_inline_n1iuiwMvKh1r1zkbr.gif

Edit: There were also a lot of backhanded compliments in many of the articles that reported on it too.

Last edited:
I kept up with almost all of the articles that were made and every media outlet that reported on Thriller going 30x platinum, and trust me there wasn't half as much
tumblr_inline_n1iuiwMvKh1r1zkbr.gif

Edit: There were also a lot of backhanded compliments in many of the articles that reported on it too.

I read all the articles that Google News let me, there weren't any backhanded compliments in there. Not a single one. Every post was filled to the brim with Michael's incredible achievements in the Thriller era :D

Last edited:
I read all the articles that Google News let me, there weren't any backhanded compliments in there. Not a single one. Every post was filled to the brim with Michael's incredible achievements in the Thriller era :D

Hmmm, maybe we read some different articles, or I read the same articles you read but in a different way. :yes:

TBH, at this point I'm used to even the rare supposedly neutral or positive articles on Michael shading him is some way.
It seems like people just can't help themselves when it comes to bringing up the allegations, Michaels appearance, etc.

Jake Vig ?@Jake_Vig

Kanye has more Top 40 hits than Michael Jackson.

In related news, no one can name three Kanye songs.

Speed-Demon-michael-jackson-13431064-400-300.gif

Pop music never produced a MICHAEL JACKSON! no industry can regurgitate that out of the 'factory'.. MJ was something 3D printing could never duplicate! lol

Pop music never produced a MICHAEL JACKSON! no industry can regurgitate that out of the 'factory'.. MJ was something 3D printing could never duplicate! lol

Oh.... they do alright :p

Hot_Toys-Michael_Jackson-Bad-DX03-26.jpg

...I want a Michael action figure :(

Back