Atheist thread

Re: Athesit Thread (For non-believers only)

All formalized religions are full of BS.. Bible "your desire be for your husband and he will rule over you".. story of a woman grabbing a mans groin (who is not her husband) having her hands cut off.. the bible even talks about vailing women and those who do not cover there hair should cut it off..

All/most religions are recycled stories from each other that Is used for whoever's purpose it is to endocrine. Stories from Greek mythology used "modern" religions with names, locations changed.. It's allllll the freakin same.. Stories!

A[/QUOTE]yaan's perspective is just as valid as yours. She grew up in a devout Muslim family and lived in several countries with a large Muslim presence (Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia, Kenya). If her view of Islam isn't quite as rosy as yours, perhaps it's because she suffered FGM as a little girl, had to flee abroad to escape an arranged marriage and has lived in fear of her life for many years now. When she lived in the Netherlands, she made a documentary called Submission about the treatment of women in Islam. The film director she made the documentary with, Theo van Gogh, was assassinated on the street by a Dutch Muslim and a knife was stuck in his chest holding a letter with a death threat to Ayaan.

That aside, "context" is the favourite excuse of any religious apologist, whether they're Christian, Jewish or Muslim. Somehow anyone critical of the plain text doesn't understand the context, unless the literal interpretation puts the religion in a more favourable light, then by all means ignore the context.

[youtube]PK7P7uZFf5o[/youtube]

Edit: oh dammit, I had dinner and came back to finish my post but now you've already responded. I"ll get back to you later ;)[/QUOTE]
'

I agree, she went through tragedy, and I can understand why she left Islam, cause that culture of FGM and forced marriages blurred her from seeing the true teachings of Islam and what is a cultural practice.

So is context not important outside of religious scripture? Do humans not deal with context in their every day life? come on now, thats nonsense. Do students not need to know the context in the books they read in their literature class, otherwise they fail the class?

Respect,

"Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand."

2 part anwser to this:

firstly,

The original language of the Quran is in Arabic. That means theres only 1 Quran which is in arabic, the translated ones are merely a translation.

Because of the variability of the Arabic language, the arabic word 'qawwamuna' is grammtically, systematically, and definitionally correctly translated to the words 'watch over', 'protect', 'support', 'attend to', 'look after' or........'be in charge of'

Same goes for the arabic word 'adribubunna', which can be translatred correctly to, 'turn away from them', 'go along with them', 'have consensual intercourse with them', or...............'beat/strike them'

See, the skeptic in me questions why the all-knowing, all-powerful Creator of the Universe would leave His pivotal message to mankind in Ancient Arabic, a language that takes years of study and apparently easily leads to misunderstandings and wrong translations. If you're right and beating a disobedient wife is indeed sinful, then countless men have sinned all the while thinking they were faithfully adhering to the Quran.

secondly,

When prophet Muhammad revealed this verse, his followers asked him how they can beat their wives, since the verse doesn't explain how. Poprhet Muhammad explains 1. You CAN NOT strike the face 2. You CAN NOT cause pain 3. You CAN NOT leave a mark

So anyone in their right mind can come to the conclusion that those conditions to 'beating' doesn't make it really beating as the arabic word was rendered to. This is why the Qur'an can't be exactly translated into English.

Thus, the Quran says you CAN NOT beat your wives. If you do, you have sinned!

I'm confused. First you said the verse doesn't say husbands can beat their wives but now Mohammed is providing specific instructions on how to beat a wife? :unsure: What amazes me is that you don't see anything wrong with above explanation. Do you really think that it's fine to physically discipline your wife if you feel she's being disobedient to you, as long as you don't hit her face, cause pain or leave a mark? What about the indignity of being treated with such disrespect?

how many non michael jackson fans will rush to claim he was a PEDO without knowing his character and all of the contexts releating to his lifestyle?

well, atheist do the very same thing regarding Muhammad, they look at him face value, one dimentional, at surface level............just like they did with Michael.

hypocrites

See, the skeptic in me questions why the all-knowing, all-powerful Creator of the Universe would leave His pivotal message to mankind in Ancient Arabic, a language that takes years of study and apparently easily leads to misunderstandings and wrong translations. If you're right and beating a disobedient wife is indeed sinful, then countless men have sinned all the while thinking they were faithfully adhering to the Quran.

I'm confused. First you said the verse doesn't say husbands can beat their wives but now Mohammed is providing specific instructions on how to beat a wife? :unsure: What amazes me is that you don't see anything wrong with above explanation. Do you really think that it's fine to physically discipline your wife if you feel she's being disobedient to you, as long as you don't hit her face, cause pain or leave a mark? What about the indignity of being treated with such disrespect?

God says in the Quran that he made it easy for people to recite and memorize the Qur'an.....how do we know this? Today, the quran is the most read book in the world, in arabic. Also, you have children as young as 5, all over the world, from non arabic speaking countries, who can recite the whole Quran, cover to cover.

So yes, that if you hit your wives, there is serious consequences and you will be judge by God on the day of jufgement.

Have you watched the videos i posted about the verse?

Respect,

What do you know about the character of prophet Muhammad? Maybe you can watch youtube videos on him, by notable schoalrs of Islam. Otherwise, your brain may be just wired to not trust any religious figures character. Theres nothing I can do if thats the case.

I can anwser more of your questions when I get home and on my computer, cause damn laptop is giving me issues.

I highly implore you whenever you don't have an undersanding of a verse in the quran, go to an islamic scholar for the understanding and interpreation. THEN you can conclude whatever your heart tells you. But please don't go to anti-muslim webites or scholars who claim to have knowlege of Islam....go to the Muslim scholars. Go to the Islamic historicans.

I understand that there are a lot of bigoted people out there who selectively pick on Islam or Muslims but I can assure you that neither Respect77 or I are anti-Muslim. If you have seen our posting histories, you'll know that we always distinguish between Islam as a religion and ordinary Muslims who practice some version of that religion, just as we do with Christians and Jews. So when we say something critical of Islam, which is bound to happen since we are atheist for a reason, please don't take it personally and think we are generalising all Muslims.

I don't seek out anti-Muslim scholars or websites. Much of my opinion on Islam is based on reading the Quran (I will admit I haven't read all of it but then, neither have most Muslims), considering the context that is usually provided with the translation, experience with ordinary Muslims (we have over a million Muslims in my country, mostly Turkish and Morrocan) and general knowledge about the Middle East and other Islamic countries.

Again, I think it's problematic that a supposedly holy book created for mankind cannot be properly understood without the careful study of Islamic scholars and historians. Especially considering many Muslim-majority countries are in developing parts of the world with low literacy rates.

I agree, she went through tragedy, and I can understand why she left Islam, cause that culture of FGM and forced marriages blurred her from seeing the true teachings of Islam and what is a cultural practice.

That's not what Ayaan herself said. She was still a Muslim after all of that. What eventually drove her away from Islam is exactly careful study of Islamic teachings after hearing OBL cite scripture to justify the 9/11 attacks and after being persuaded by Western literature such as the Atheist Manifesto.

So is context not important outside of religious scripture? Do humans not deal with context in their every day life? come on now, thats nonsense. Do students not need to know the context in the books they read in their literature class, otherwise they fail the class?

Of course context is important but at least use it consistently. I have never heard a religious person demand context when some feel-good verse from their holy book is mentioned. Then context is taken for granted. It's only when a plain reading of the text shows God in a less than favourable light that "context" is trotted out as an excuse. As if there is any context in which the more barbaric aspects of the Abrahamic religions (slavery, forced marriages, stoning to death for a range of offenses, misogyny, genocide, etc.) is justifiable. It's a cop out.

how many non michael jackson fans will rush to claim he was a PEDO without knowing his character and all of the contexts releating to his lifestyle?

well, atheist do the very same thing regarding Muhammad, they look at him face value, one dimentional, at surface level............just like they did with Michael.

hypocrites

How do you know atheists haven't studied the life of Mohammed?

Comparing him to Michael makes no sense. I have no qualms about calling Mohammed a pedophile. He was. He married a girl at 6 years old and had sex with her when she was 9. Mohammed was in his 50s at the time. That is the textbook definition of pedophilia and if Mohammed wasn't your prophet, you wouldn't defend it. That's what I call hypocrisy.

God says in the Quran that he made it easy for people to recite and memorize the Qur'an.....how do we know this? Today, the quran is the most read book in the world, in arabic. Also, you have children as young as 5, all over the world, from non arabic speaking countries, who can recite the whole Quran, cover to cover.

They can recite it, sure, but do they understand it? Isn't that far more important?

Have you watched the videos i posted about the verse?

No, because it's beside the point. It would take about 5 seconds for me to pull up an equal number of Muslim scholars defending wife beating. Here's one:

[youtube]4xALBTb4uSs[/youtube]

Again, interesting how a divine perfect book can lead to such radically different interpretations.

Respect and LindavG,

You can't beat your wife. Cause her physical and mental harm or pain. If you can't comprehend that, then thats a sad day for you.

I would defend it, because that was the societal norm at the time, you know that very well. Even Muhammad's enemies who were the non believers NEVER excused him of pedophilia. If you look into history, these kind of marriages were seen all the way until recent history in the western world! So your claim doesn't hold up strong.

What about Muhammads first marriage? Did you know he was married to Fatimah, for 25 years. He was 25 and she was 40. He married women who were either widows, divorced, or in old age. Only Ayesha, was a virgin. Yet God choose her. Theres wisdom. If he was such a powerful ruler, who could have had anything he wanted, why shy away from women with beauty, wealth, power? This is why I say Muahmmad is understood by non believers at surface level, one dimentionally, and at face value........like Michael.

In Islam, God has 99 attributes. You mention God being the All-Knowing.....but hes also the all seeing, all hearing, all wise, all merciful, the forbearing, the loving, the nourisher, the grateful, the creator, the producer, the preserver, all rich, the enricher, the light, the guide, the compassionate, the firm, the strong, the giver of honor, etc......all these attributes are in the quran., just a few to mention here for you.

But if you don't want to watch videos about Islam, then just says it all. You have your minds made up about Islam and Muhammad, and you will continue to see and hear what you wish. Why ask me anymore questions, if you are not willing to accept the answers on behave of 1.7 billions Muslims in the world.

Also, if you prefer to read the Quran literally, and ignoring all historical contexts, then you are doing the very same crime as ISIS who kill innocent men, women, and children, believers and non believers. No different from those fundamentalists in Saudi.

Comparing to Michael does make sense. Theres an article that was posted, the top 3 influential people in history. They were Jesus, Michael Jackson, and Muhammad. Food for thought.

Please, unless you have further questions that you want to seek knowledge of then you can ask. Otherwise I'm done explaining, cause it seems like you're putting your own understanding and spin to religious scripture. That's a shame, cause I'm sure you know Muslims personally, yet you see them how you want to see them.

Last edited:

Every religious book is full of contradiction.. For people to debate what religious text teaches is fairly pointless when It deals a lot with 1. perspective 2. contradiction.. The God in the Old Testament and the New Testament are two different Gods (not literal). Quran is also full of contradictions.. This is the same in the Torah and most world known religions simply contradict themselves and 'teachers' simply know how to excuse it..

Respect and LindavG,

You can't beat your wife. Cause her physical and mental harm or pain. If you can't comprehend that, then thats a sad day for you.

But we just showed you numerous interpretations from Islamic scholars that says you can. And we also told you that even if the verse doesn't mention literal beatings, it still puts men and women on unequal footing and that's a problem too. Do you believe wives should obey their husbands at all times and should be reprimanded if they don't?

I would defend it, because that was the societal norm at the time, you know that very well. Even Muhammad's enemies who were the non believers NEVER excused him of pedophilia. If you look into history, these kind of marriages were seen all the way until recent history in the western world! So your claim doesn't hold up strong.

The historical context doesn't matter because the Quran claims to be the perfect, eternal Word of God. Since when does Allah depend on societal norms to determine whether something is right or wrong? Even in the 7th century, a 6-year-old girl would not be mentally or physically ready for marriage. Her pre-pubescent body certainly wouldn't be ready to consumate the marriage.

Even granting that something was the societal norm at the time, that doesn't mean you have to defend it or minimise it. Slavery was the norm for thousands of years all over the world - and justified by the Bible and the Quran - but only the most morally depraved would defend it in this day and age.

What about Muhammads first marriage? Did you know he was married to Fatimah, for 25 years. He was 25 and she was 40. He married women who were either widows, divorced, or in old age. Only Ayesha, was a virgin. Yet God choose her. Theres wisdom. If he was such a powerful ruler, who could have had anything he wanted, why shy away from women with beauty, wealth, power? This is why I say Muahmmad is understood by non believers at surface level, one dimentionally, and at face value........like Michael.

Of course Aisha was a virgin, she was 6 when she got married! You say God chose her but did she have any say in the matter? Why couldn't He wait until she was old enough to consent?

In Islam, God has 99 attributes. You mention God being the All-Knowing.....but hes also the all seeing, all hearing, all wise, all merciful, the forbearing, the loving, the nourisher, the grateful, the creator, the producer, the preserver, all rich, the enricher, the light, the guide, the compassionate, the firm, the strong, the giver of honor, etc......all these attributes are in the quran., just a few to mention here for you.

And despite all of this, He just couldn't produce a book that people can read and understand without the help of scholars and historians.

But if you don't want to watch videos about Islam, then just says it all. You have your minds made up about Islam and Muhammad, and you will continue to see and hear what you wish. Why ask me anymore questions, if you are not willing to accept the answers on behave of 1.7 billions Muslims in the world.

I do watch videos about Islam, I just can't be bothered to watch apologetics that I've heard a million times and can easily counteract with apologetics videos of my own. Did you watch the videos I posted?

You don't speak for 1.7 billion Muslims. Clearly there are many Muslims who would disagree with your interpretation of Islam, although I will say that I much prefer your liberal interpretation over that of fundamentalists.

Besides, proselysing is not allowed in this thread. We are under no obligation to watch any apologetics videos you post. You are free to discuss your view of Islam with us and engage in a debate but don't accuse us of being biased, bigoted, uninformed or disinterested if we don't share your opinion. Like I said, we are atheists for a reason and this is an atheist thread. You asked to join us and we said it's OK because we believe in an open debate (unlike the JC thread where non-believers aren't allowed to post but that's fine) - that in itself shows we haven't made up our mind.

Also, if you prefer to read the Quran literally, and ignoring all historical contexts, then you are doing the very same crime as ISIS who kill innocent men, women, and children, believers and non believers. No different from those fundamentalists in Saudi.

So you admit that ISIS and Saudi Arabia can be linked to a literalistic interpretation of the Quran? We are getting somewhere :)

Comparing to Michael does make sense. Theres an article that was posted, the top 3 influential people in history. They were Jesus, Michael Jackson, and Muhammad. Food for thought.

I mean comparisons specifically with regard to pedophilia. Mohammed married a girl at 6 and had sex with her at 9. That is pedophilia or at the very least child sexual abuse, since a child at that age is not able to give consent, either in the 7th century or now. Saying that pedophilia/child marriages were acceptable back then doesn't change that.

Please, unless you have further questions that you want to seek knowledge of then you can ask. Otherwise I'm done explaining, cause it seems like you're putting your own understanding and spin to religious scripture. That's a shame, cause I'm sure you know Muslims personally, yet you see them how you want to see them.

None of this is about Muslims. I thought I made that clear. It's about specific interpretations of Islam. We are just as critical of other religions, it's not personal.

Linda to be fair we would have to say the same about Christianity and Judaism about men and women roles.. They all speak of obedience to there husband!

Its not letting me edit my post to add this so...

And regarding the Islamic religion yes there are some that take it and use it for there own purpose ie. excuse to abuse and social/political gains - terrorism.. But again, that is the same of all religions..

But at a high majority Islamic people take the religion more so of the description similar to what hoopman is expressing.

But you contradicted yourself on that. First you claimed the Quran doesn't really say you can beat your wife (when it does). Then you told us HOW you can beat your wife: not on the face, so that it doesn't leave a mark, isn't painful. Don't you see how it is a contradiction to claim the Quran doesn't allow to beat your wife then list us all the rules by which you can beat your wife?

Re-read my first explanation.

Do you think the followers of Muhammad didn't question the intreptration and understanding of each verse he revealed?

Muhammad lays down the conditions to the beating. Once you understand the conditions, you come to realize how in the world is that beating?

And thats the wisdom of that verse. If anyone caught their wife cheating, they would loved to slap them. However, if you read the Quran, you wouldn't be able to slap your wife across the face upon catching her sleeping with another man.

Muslims have the lowest number of divorce rate in the world, statistically.

I'm done anwsering this one.

Historical context is the way they always defend Muhammad's marriage to a child, but you apparently didn't read or didn't understand what I wrote about context above. Muhammad is claimed to be a perfect exaple of behavior for Muslims for all times. Supposedly the Quran is dictated to him (through Gabriel) as a book that should guide Muslims for eternity. So don't you think that such a book if it was truly written by an all-knowing, all-seeing, all-wise... (you can list all his supposed 99 characteristics of his) God then it wouldn't be so painfully obviously the product of its time with the morality of the 7th century?

Like I said above an all-wise God would know that pedophilia is not OK - he wouldn't only know it now, he would have also known it in the 7th century, despite of Muhammad's own historical context. And he would have ordered rules against pedophilia and not have allowed his holiest prophet who is held up as an example for all Muslims, to marry a child. An all wise God would have known all the consequences of that among Muhammad's followers: ie. that some Muslim countries still, until this day allow and practice child marriages, citing exactly Muhammad's example.

Let's make 1 thing crystal clear. Islam forbidds marrying a pre-pbusecent child under any circumstances.

Today, we define the term pedophilia loosely, whether the child is pre-pubscent or pubecent (teens)

So given that practice was for that time period, we know it's not the case in todays society. And like you said, some Muslims in certain countries, may hold on to that practice in certain cirumstances......but never a pre-pubsent child.

So since Muslims argue that the Quran is perfect for all eternity and that Muhammad is an example to follow for all Muslims, don't you think they shouldn't be so bound by historocal context and the morality of their time? You are beating Islam's argument of these things being divine or a great example to follow today when you bring up a historical context in their defense. If they are so bound by their historical context then they are not divine and not perfect and not great to follow today.

The problem is that most Muslims do hold these things up (Quran, Muhammad) as perfect or as an example to follow. Beceause the Quran and Muhammad have such a status in Islam all they do is cement 7th century morality, which isn't very good in the 21st century where in many areas we have made a lot of progress since 21st century.

Indeed one interpretation is the literalist one that ISIS or Saud Arabia do. If that's what is indeed literally in the Quran we cannot really say it has nothing to do with Islam, like some apologists always try to do, can we?

Like LindaG said, I am glad if you are for a more moderate interpretation of Islam, but who decides which one is the correct interpretation? Their version is as legit as yours. As horrible as they look through modern eyes ISIS does nothing that Muhammad didn't do. ISIS is what you get when you literally follow Muhammad's example. For the record, a state or quasi-state based on Leviticus would look equally horrible.

Like i explained before, yes certain laws found in Sharia Law were taken from a historial context and provided that this is how things should be done for all times.

The most ridculous law is forbidding Women to drive in Saudi. No bases on Islam or prophet Muhammad, obviously! In Indonesias Sharia Law, women are pilots!

As Muslims we great Muslims with Assalamu Aalikum (Peace be upon you). However, should we leave that pactice for 7th century? No, that's for all time.

So certain laws and practices is mean't for all times. Others were under historical circumtances but became for all times. That's why Sharia Law is so diversed within Muslim countries. It's man made. And MUST be adopted and changed to fit the 21st century.

So you speak about a reform? What do you think has been happening in the Muslim world for the past 50 years? We are in the middle of the Islamic reformation!

Last edited:
h0opman31;4184757 said:
Muhammad lays down the conditions to the beating. Once you understand the conditions, you come to realize how in the world is that beating?

And thats the wisdom of that verse.

You can most definitely still beat someone while applying those rules. imo, giving some sort of cryptic answer that allows room for wrong interpretations (with very unpleasant consequences in this case) isn’t ‘wisdom’ - that would have been saying ‘you can never beat your wife’. And like Linda and Respect have said, since the beating is brought up as a consequence for a wife’s disobedience, the deeper issue is the fact that men and women are clearly seen as unequal, and the believe that a wife is supposed to be obedient to her husband in the first place. I mean, I bet there isn’t a verse that explains how to beat your disobedient husband and if there was, I’m curious how you’d feel about it then.

I also wonder about this because I think it is such a good question, and I’m genuinly interested in what the answer would be: if god is all-knowing, all-wise etc., 'earthly' restrictions such as time and culture wouldn’t have had any influence on what he knows to be right. So then how come the Quran is so obviously a product of its time (just like the Bible) and how can you explain away some of the things he apparently thought were right (like marrying a child for example) by using those as an excuse?

Hoopman - you're killing me with coming in here for this debate.. Reason being, this thread is specifically for non believers. you are dealing with people that have issue with all religions. We have to know there are holes in every religion and to come into this thread to have the debate is only setting yourself up to have every 'hole' turned against you.

Lil;4184764 said:
You can most definitely still beat someone while applying those rules. imo, giving some sort of cryptic answer that allows room for wrong interpretations (with very unpleasant consequences in this case) isn’t ‘wisdom’ - that would have been saying ‘you can never beat your wife’. And like Linda and Respect have said, since the beating is brought up as a consequence for a wife’s disobedience, the deeper issue is the fact that men and women are clearly seen as unequal, and the believe that a wife is supposed to be obedient to her husband in the first place. I mean, I bet there isn’t a verse that explains how to beat your disobedient husband and if there was, I’m curious how you’d feel about it then.

I also wonder about this because I think it is such a good question, and I’m genuinly interested in what the answer would be: if god is all-knowing, all-wise etc., 'earthly' restrictions such as time and culture wouldn’t have had any influence on what he knows to be right. So then how come the Quran is so obviously a product of its time (just like the Bible) and how can you explain away some of the things he apparently thought were right (like marrying a child for example) by using those as an excuse?

But did you read the full verse? or just that part where it says beat? Cause thats how people read scripture now a days it seems. There is no croptic anwser. Because we take the Quran as our primary source, and the hadith as our secondary.

Do you know any Muslim who beat their wife physically causing her pain and bruises and justify it with the Quran?

Have you asked a Muslim woman personally, why Islam gives her freedom?

The Quran is timeless and perfected. The sayings and actions of prophet Muhammad is the sunnah. Following the sunnah is not mandatory.

So if Prophet Muhammad married a woman over the age of puberty, at age 9, thats a product of his time. What is timeless is not marrying someone pre pubescent, as the Quran states.

What do you make of him marrying his first wife for 25 years at the age of 25 and her being 40? Him being proposed by her? His marriages that brought tribes together? His marrage to a Jewish woman? His marriage to a woman who was in her 80s? Divorcees and widows? An example all man should learn from. In the 21st century, you barely can marry a woman older than you without getting shunned or ashamed at. Unless you were a Muslim.

Hoopman - you're killing me with coming in here for this debate.. Reason being, this thread is specifically for non believers. you are dealing with people that have issue with all religions. We have to know there are holes in every religion and to come into this thread to have the debate is only setting yourself up to have every 'hole' turned against you.

I asked for permission and was granted.

Plus, just donated $10 to get access to 2000 watts, and I go in there to see shit! Boring in there. So I thought why not see whats happening in the Athesit thread lol. Questions I'm all familiar with. Thrown at me all the time, debunked all the time.

We can talk about science too if you like.

I feel like we're going in circles. Literally. You are re-phrasing the same questions over and over again.

But did you read the full verse? or just that part where it says beat?

The verse was already posted, so yes I have, and I came to the conclusion it says you can beat your wife if she is disobedient. It also still comes down to men being superior to women. It all seems pretty clear to me, but maybe you can explain how it doesn't say those things if you put it in the context I'm supposedly missing.

Do you know any Muslim who beat their wife physically causing her pain and bruises and justify it with the Quran?

Have you asked a Muslim woman personally, why Islam gives her freedom?

Answering questions with questions seems evasive.. also they're a bit beside the point. I was asking about the Quran and its teachings, not the actions or feelings of any individual muslim. It worries me that you add "physically causing her pain and bruises" as if to say it only 'counts' as beating if that's the case.
Also, I wonder why you're completely avoiding the whole superiority problem.

So if Prophet Muhammad married a woman over the age of puberty, at age 9, thats a product of his time. What is timeless is not marrying someone pre pubescent, as the Quran states.

But didn't you say god chose her earlier?

What do you make of him marrying his first wife for 25 years at the age of 25 and her being 40? Him being proposed by her? His marriages that brought tribes together? His marrage to a Jewish woman? His marriage to a woman who was in her 80s? Divorcees and widows? An example all man should learn from. In the 21st century, you barely can marry a woman older than you without getting shunned or ashamed at. Unless you were a Muslim.

Those things aren't particularly impressive to me, they should be normal. But I don't really care about any of that if the same person also had sex with a 9 year old tbh.

Questions I'm all familiar with. Thrown at me all the time, debunked all the time.

I'd think you'd have better answers then, lol. imo you haven't even really given a straight forward answer to any question, let alone debunked anything..

Lets try to stick to 1 question at a time. Cause I'm getting a lot of questions and it's going all over the place. :)

He explain's the full verse here. Nouman Ali Khan is probably the most notable Islamic Scholar in the western world. Muslims across are cultures attend his lectures. Very well known. So Just out of curioisty, watch his video. Cause you're not understanding what I'm saying.

After watching that video, if you are still not content, then we can leave it that lol

C6UT_B9N8w_6wkJ1MAhVjr0ExoEDhssWTl-_wUPvG1mF4ckQjfmja8UsTs8BvJlfojK1St0dDgCKn8VUJOPeuTftA4IWUrmjzHFd_GmiXuPR0MtnsnRI7t5e3zSXSei2veTj5iKzKFpjyfP60D-FWNwGbSd7U-JFvuUGy6PyaUK2TIgpxunNcWrKzNKx0Tf7sFg9DR6DL0Ugm_KZCZDnINLVgHxVZx0daoQ3hO0iN6JnYCaLVCRi0nZwvJgIawMY0VSkL2StOKI0_VWXUJHj7jHa8EasboTAC8VWcQDADAP9Axr-yD_L9LFCJz57fZSHjPo439pWIze8kxII_TzVOBOqg31jIr9-Axzvw31uR8QZHnBW4WrFVyJBFgl_ph8cdebLeuB53_35G1T865rat--uC29riDGaGxnH7o10c2-l920f9qtG0QB-HqimydKwEOCB9KR5o-S40xg6HAhfPK0IIYWU3BCtN_PCJ9SdKe-Y2FNv4l0JLINMtN6RNSUGU-YNm2TomLAJxIWYOx_TL7-cznNRdpiMybDQ6CIl_qJeJaEHl2Hf9sLoo290zM87fs5V2OJtoZYpAz4W32DqZaa-A_O1c92oSmI40v8CK9eB769KNZKwXLc1qXGkOcpmwTSGZaegLOcz8wawNfnOEJb6sTNp94-HqHOaXscGCoVW1yEK8w_Pygyt9nxTzud65Osxa_5YUWCmhMwxy44T1sC2vA=w1600-h770-l75-ft

This is the interpretation if you took the lingusitic approach to the whole verse.

And according to some other scholar it is something else.

But like I said, that's not the bottom line. Let's say it is about cheating. The fact you and this scholar, as moderate Muslims, think that cheating justifies beating is pretty disturbing in itself. It just shows that Islam still has a long way to go in terms of reform and to make it compatible with today's human rights if this is how even moderate Muslims think about relations between man and woman.

Suppose its about cheating, the following verses afgter the beat shows forgiveness, as NAK describes. PLUS, if you take the teachings of prophet Muhammad, who says you cant strike a womans face, cause any pain, and leave any marks, ultimately NEGATES any beating. A woman cheats, so you get a toothbrush or hankerchief and tap her with it? Realistically, really? No.

Its not letting me edit my post to add this so...

And regarding the Islamic religion yes there are some that take it and use it for there own purpose ie. excuse to abuse and social/political gains - terrorism.. But again, that is the same of all religions..

I think you're being a tad disingenuous here. Yes, all religions are used for social/political gains but in the modern era, none come even remotely close to Islam. Not in scope and not in threat. There is no Christian version of Sharia law because the Bible doesn't mandate it. There is no equivalent to Boko Haram, the Taliban, Al Qaeda, Hamas, al Shabaab, etc. Consider this list of officially designated terrorist groups, the overwhelming majority of which are Islamic and operate within Muslim countries (so the excuse that these groups are just fighting back against Western oppression is moot). Being relativistic about this will do absolutely nothing to resolve this problem.

But at a high majority Islamic people take the religion more so of the description similar to what hoopman is expressing.

I'm not so sure of that. Judging by opinion polls of the Pew Research Center, there is considerable support among Muslims in Asia and Africa for suicide bombing of civilians in defense of Islam, forced veiling of women, women's total obedience to their husbands, making Sharia the law of the land, etc. I do believe in treating Muslims as individuals so I would never presume what a particular Muslim believes just based on his or her religious identity. I've met some very liberal Muslims as well, who would certainly be horrified if they had to live under Islamic law. But still, these trends are worrying.

Re-read my first explanation.

Do you think the followers of Muhammad didn't question the intreptration and understanding of each verse he revealed?

And thats the wisdom of that verse. If anyone caught their wife cheating, they would loved to slap them. However, if you read the Quran, you wouldn't be able to slap your wife across the face upon catching her sleeping with another man.

The problem with religion is that it makes perfectly good people defend the indefensible. This here is a prime example. Do you even comprehend what you are saying here? Let me ask you a straightforward question: do you believe that a wife must obey her husband at all times?

Let's make 1 thing crystal clear. Islam forbidds marrying a pre-pbusecent child under any circumstances.

Why? And what specifically do you mean by "Islam", as for sure it's not the Quran?

So certain laws and practices is mean't for all times. Others were under historical circumtances but became for all times. That's why Sharia Law is so diversed within Muslim countries. It's man made. And MUST be adopted and changed to fit the 21st century.

I hope you mean adapted :p

I'm a bit confused about this though. I thought Sharia law was derived from the Quran and Hadith rather than being man-made? If its application within Muslim countries is so diverse, that is only because the religious precepts allow for many different interpretations. I don't how this legal system can possibly be updated to fit the 21st century. No amount of apologetics or mental gymnastics can make the Quran and Hadith say that men and women have equal worth, that gays shouldn't be discriminated against, that Muslims are free to convert to another religion or atheism, that a woman's virtue does not depend on her virginity or the kind of clothes she wears, that people of other religions are not inferior to Muslims, etc. The only way to truly reform Islam to make it compatible with liberal democratic values is to completely disregard its more barbaric aspects, just like Judaism and Christianity have done. But since so many Muslims including yourself insist that the entire Quran is timeless and perfect, this is not likely to happen any time soon.

So you speak about a reform? What do you think has been happening in the Muslim world for the past 50 years? We are in the middle of the Islamic reformation!

Seems to me that the Muslim world has only grown more fundamentalist in the past 50 years. How do you see this reform playing out?

Mohammed married Aisha when she was 6 years old. They had sex when she was 9.

If I understand correctly, you believe it is OK for an adult man to marry a girl as soon as she hits puberty, which can be anywhere between 9 and 14 years old? That is still a child marriage even if it's not a pre-pubescent marriage.

All I make of that is that Mohammed was a busy man :p

"If I understand correctly, you believe it is OK for an adult man to marry a girl as soon as she hits puberty, which can be anywhere between 9 and 14 years old? That is still a child marriage even if it's not a pre-pubescent marriage."

No I am not okay with that in todays soceity.

"Why? And what specifically do you mean by "Islam", as for sure it's not the Quran?"

In Islam, the Quran forbids it.

Back