Bad Tour DVD Discussion - MSG 88 vs L.A. 89

AO98

Proud Member
I've seen a lot of Michael Jackson fans like myself discuss the Bad Tour and how great it was and what other non-Wembley shows they would like to see get a release. Today, I wanna talk about a "What if" scenario based on that demand...

Let's say that next year (2017) or maybe the year after (2018), the Estate and Sony were planning to release another Bad Tour DVD. This time, a U.S. show. Which show would you rather have if you had to choose between these two?

March 3rd, 1988 at the N.Y.C. Madison Square Garden or January 27th, 1989 at the L.A. Memorial Sports Arena?

Personally speaking: I myself would choose 3/3/88. I don't hate LA 1989. In fact, I'd love to have a release of it (as long as "Dirty Diana" from Michael's Nov. 88 performance in LA was included since it's the only song not sung in 89). It would also make some sense since we've had two shows, one in 1987 and the other in 1988. However, the reason I would choose MSG is because it's literally a legendary show. Michael performed it as a benefit concert to raise money for the UNCF. He was still very much in his prime, more so than Wembley. There's no missing songs - the entire setlist was performed. And let's not forget the big epic on-stage kiss between MJ and Tatiana.

tumblr_mpv14ntzVB1qfh70bo1_500.gif

That's just what I'd prefer anyway. What about you? Between these shows, which of the two would you like to see released if there was to be another Bad Tour DVD and explain your reasons? Of course if you have another show in mind, feel free to explain why you like that show the most and/or why you want to see it released. Thank you :)

I would rather prefer LA 89. don't know if it's just me but judging by the amateur audio it just sounds better than other shows

(not quality wise, performance wise)

and also, because it's different. MSG has literally the exact same set list as the Wembley show we already have, whereas in LA songs were switched about for the better imo

it just makes more sense that they would hypothetically release something at least somewhat different rather than practically the same thing but with a "NEW YORK" label on it

I would be happy with either, they've both got pros for me; MSG MJ is energetic and an indoor arena show from 88 would be great. Both MSG and LA have the American stage with the ramps either side of the bandstand which is low at the back. For Another Part Of Me during MSG it's early (as are the other 5 songs from the Bad album) in its evolution and sometimes the musical breakdown at the end was shorter. It also gives us a MITM performance in the Bad Jacket. During L.A 89 Another Part Of Me is brought further along as a performance; Mike doing different moves during the spins in the chorus, both I believe feature the green lazer lights. MITM L.A 89 gives us the White Shirt performance, L.A 89 also gives us an almost Dangerous era looking MJ. Occasionally I feel Mikes vocal performance is tired during L.A but this could be the fact that they were his last shows playing into that idea in my mind. Vocally, some nights during 88 he was also tired during certain shows. That said, I would possibly lean towards LA 89.

Another show I'm into from America is the Landover show which is available in part on YouTube as an amateur recording. I just feel performance wise MJ was in rare form that night and the crown were insane. He also uses the tent dressing room to emerge from for IJCSLY. It's indoor also and a superb show.

any of them would be fine, because I've not seen them

Both would be great. MSG because SC and TWYMMF were sung live. LA 89 would be great as it was transition from the Bad era into the Dangerous era and of course the final ever performances of APOM and DD (Don't know if it was done in every 89 LA show).

I'd love both shows, because both audiences were filled with his friends and family from Hollywood and New York-and he seemed more energetic and emotional and electrifying than usual (from the clips I've seen). I'd love to have both shows-

and I really love for them to be shown in a movie theatre too.

Both would be great. MSG because SC and TWYMMF were sung live. LA 89 would be great as it was transition from the Bad era into the Dangerous era and of course the final ever performances of APOM and DD (Don't know if it was done in every 89 LA show).

I'd love both shows, because both audiences were filled with his friends and family from Hollywood and New York-and he seemed more energetic and emotional and electrifying than usual (from the clips I've seen). I'd love to have both shows.
A 2-for-1 Bad Tour DVD package? Now we're talking :jump:

I would rather prefer LA 89. don't know if it's just me but judging by the amateur audio it just sounds better than other shows

(not quality wise, performance wise)

and also, because it's different. MSG has literally the exact same set list as the Wembley show we already have, whereas in LA songs were switched about for the better imo

it just makes more sense that they would hypothetically release something at least somewhat different rather than practically the same thing but with a "NEW YORK" label on it

No MSG has the same setlist order as LA, all the songs were sung live except for mitm,Siedag joined in on mitm, twymmf kiss with tatiana, MJ's voice was still fresh as it was an early concert on the 2nd leg. MSG gets my vote

I would be happy with either, they've both got pros for me; MSG MJ is energetic and an indoor arena show from 88 would be great. Both MSG and LA have the American stage with the ramps either side of the bandstand which is low at the back. For Another Part Of Me during MSG it's early (as are the other 5 songs from the Bad album) in its evolution and sometimes the musical breakdown at the end was shorter. It also gives us a MITM performance in the Bad Jacket. During L.A 89 Another Part Of Me is brought further along as a performance; Mike doing different moves during the spins in the chorus, both I believe feature the green lazer lights. MITM L.A 89 gives us the White Shirt performance, L.A 89 also gives us an almost Dangerous era looking MJ. Occasionally I feel Mikes vocal performance is tired during L.A but this could be the fact that they were his last shows playing into that idea in my mind. Vocally, some nights during 88 he was also tired during certain shows. That said, I would possibly lean towards LA 89.

Another show I'm into from America is the Landover show which is available in part on YouTube as an amateur recording. I just feel performance wise MJ was in rare form that night and the crown were insane. He also uses the tent dressing room to emerge from for IJCSLY. It's indoor also and a superb show.

I don't think he performed MITM with the bad jacket in MSG tho. I think that happened on the rare occssions where he skipped twymmf and went straight from bad to mitm

I would choose New York from those two. But this US show would be better(black jacket parts):

I don't think he performed MITM with the bad jacket in MSG tho. I think that happened on the rare occssions where he skipped twymmf and went straight from bad to mitm
I just realised we actually have a bad jacket performance from Wembley. And yes your probably correct there. Was there any incedents where he performed TWYMMF and rewore the bad jacket for MITM? I do love the idea of live vocals on Smooth and TWYMMF though, and apart from the kiss would be nice to watch Tatiana strutting her stuff. I think it's ridiculous she got fired for that kiss which lasted about half a second.

I just realised we actually have a bad jacket performance from Wembley. And yes your probably correct there. Was there any incedents where he performed TWYMMF and rewore the bad jacket for MITM? I do love the idea of live vocals on Smooth and TWYMMF though, and apart from the kiss would be nice to watch Tatiana strutting her stuff. I think it's ridiculous she got fired for that kiss which lasted about half a second.

Yes actually there was! He did it in wurzburg

Full audio concert with TWYMMF
[youtube]t105MzujU5k[/youtube]

Video of MITM with the bad jacket
[youtube]PQfGIqQm_8[/youtube]

Yes actually there was! He did it in wurzburg

Full audio concert with TWYMMF
[youtube]t105MzujU5k[/youtube]

Video of MITM with the bad jacket
[youtube]PQfGIqQm_8[/youtube]
Thanks. In the Wembley amateur shot concert it also shows him in the bad jacket at the end. There's a break in the footage and when it flicks back he's wearing it before he leaves the stage. Some people believe it's a different night but it's from the exact same position.

I'd love to see MSG. For so many reasons, but for that breakdown in Man In The Mirror, it was just utter filth :dropdead:

I had no idea that Siedah performed MITM with them that night-although that makes sense since she was on the Grammy stage with it-that makes it even cooler and tilts it toward MSG.
And speaking of the kiss, I always thought that was ridiculous and really didn't understand why Michael would have her fired for that. I know that's the folklore for years and mainly out of Tatiana's mouth, but it didn't make sense to me. Michael was a really savvy showman and he knew instinctively what was a crowd pleaser and what wasn't-just look at the way the audience ROARS when he grabs Sheryl's belt and pulls her closer-and the audience went nuts when Tatiana kissed him. Just nuts.

Then a couple of years ago, I read a new interview with her-sometime after Michael died-and she said that wasn't really the truth. The truth was that her AGENT knew he had a good thing with that impromptu kiss and went in and demanded more money for her to continue with the tour. So, they said nope, and put Sheryl in that role.
Now THAT made sense. THAT made good business sense. I found that hilarious-finally know the real reason. Not so romantic or melodramatic, maybe-but it's logical. :)

^^ I remember also hearing that MJ's management were furious over that kiss, but perhaps what they were really mad at was the asking for a pay rise. Thanks for that info, it does make sense. Had she got the pay rise she would have been the envy of so many people; being paid to fly around the world and kiss MJ. :lol: They would have made such a hot couple.

Live performance trumps lip-synching every single time.

So MSG. No question.

Back