Being a Michael Jackson fan and missing out on the 80's

1989, was in a store with my mom and saw a VHS with this cover:
MV5BOWNjMDA3ZmEtZDQwMy00YjJmLTkxNjgtYTUyYmQwYTI0MTNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

I was captivated as I asked my mom "Who is that?", she responded "That's Michael Jackson, do you want it?"
A life changing moment.
I was lucky to see it in the cinema twice. :)

I became a fan in 1992, I was born early enough to experience the 80s, but wasn't really aware of MJ at that time. So in a way you can say I was missing out. But to me honest, I'm more sad about missing out on the 70s, because J5 is one of my favorite eras and I've always wished I could have experienced that part of his career

Michael on the cover of Hello magazine in 1988, the year he sold out 7 nights at Wembley Stadium.

<goddammit, can't find the ginormous version!>

144x201.jpg

This is a nice little thread, imo. Memories from the 1990's but lots from the 1980's.

That is awesome!!! To think we had some fool earlier say that MJ during the 80's was just another black artist.
I can't even. I'm just bumping this thread - yes, I know it's old but there's some good stuff on here - and throwing in a few extra bits. History cannot be rewritten. I lived through the 80's. I know what I saw.

Box office

Beverly Hills Cop was released on December 5, 1984, in 1,532 theaters.[3] It debuted in first place at the US box office, making $15,214,805 in its first five days of release. It expanded on December 21 into 2,006 theatres.[3] The film stayed at number one for 13 consecutive weeks and returned to number one in its 15th weekend making 14 non-consecutive weeks at number one tying Tootsie for the film with the most weeks at number one.[17] The film earned $234,760,478 in the United States, being the highest-grossing film released in 1984.[18] Adjusted for inflation, it is the third highest-grossing R-rated film of all-time behind The Exorcist and The Godfather.[19] For nearly two decades, Beverly Hills Cop would hold the record for having the highest domestic gross for an R-rated film until 2003 when it was taken by The Matrix Reloaded.[20] Box Office Mojo estimates that the film sold over 67 million tickets in the US.[21]

OK, so Wiki isn't always madly reliable with its info but this makes for interesting reading, imo. On another thread I was just remembering how Michael was just part of normal, cultural, everyday life back in the 1980's. There are at least 2 Michael Jackson references in Beverly Hills Cop, within a couple of minutes of each other. In one scene, Eddie Murphy is trying to book himself into a posh, expensive hotel (the clip does include the 'N' word) and he's pretending to be a Rolling Stone journalist, in town to do an exclusive interview with Michael. Later on, he leaves the hotel and is walking down the street observing LA and two people walk past him wearing lookalike Thriller outfits.

This is what is was like. :)

Tells you everything you need to know
Exactly so. There is a longer version of this vid out there. In fact, I've posted a version on the 'Michael in front of crowds' thread. It's really not hard to understand, is it? I adore Michael's 90's music. I also love Invincible, the album. I don't care how much people slag it off, I absolutely love it. But to dismiss Michael's achievements in the 80's or his cultural significance or his cultural dominance back then is just weird. It wasn't all lovely. The media backlash was in full swing even during the Thriller era. He caught a lot of flak and a lot of ridicule not to mention flat-out racism. It wasn't all sunshine and flowers, fgs! But Michael bossed the 80's, why try to pretend that didn't happen? It literally makes no sense to me.

To recognise what Michael achieved in the 1980's in no way diminishes anything he did later on. But the facts are there.

Sorry, Blues. I know you already know all of this. I'm just venting.

Exactly so. There is a longer version of this vid out there. In fact, I've posted a version on the 'Michael in front of crowds' thread. It's really not hard to understand, is it? I adore Michael's 90's music. I also love Invincible, the album. I don't care how much people slag it off, I absolutely love it. But to dismiss Michael's achievements in the 80's or his cultural significance or his cultural dominance back then is just weird. It wasn't all lovely. The media backlash was in full swing even during the Thriller era. He caught a lot of flak and a lot of ridicule not to mention flat-out racism. It wasn't all sunshine and flowers, fgs! But Michael bossed the 80's, why try to pretend that didn't happen? It literally makes no sense to me.

To recognise what Michael achieved in the 1980's in no way diminishes anything he did later on. But the facts are there.

Sorry, Blues. I know you already know all of this. I'm just venting.
Yeah agree with all of that. I love the work MJ did in the 90's especially the Dangerous era and parts of History.

I just don't understand why he keeps dismissing the 80's and then responds as though we're talking rubbish and it's not true.

That's why I seriously think there is a racist undertone in his comments. No normal MJ fan or even a member of the public would say that he wasn't at his peak during this period.

He's either racist to 'black' MJ as he calls him or is just being a very annoying troll.

Then there's me who never saw any of MJ's performances live (I was too young).
Basically I only heard Thriller during a theatrical concert in my Pre-School (in 2005, mind you). I did'nt even know who MJ was I just knew I only liked that song out of all the others and it scared the shit out of me back then. And then I actually performed Black or White in 2008 for a class performance, the teacher chose the song and I was like hmmmm, that voice sounded pretty familiar (I still didn't know who MJ was), but I figured out that it must be the same person who sang Thriller and was pretty ecstatic. I was only 8 years back then and we didn't have much in the way of internet at that time so there was no way of me really searching up stuff and finding out more. We actually saw the short video version of Black or White to practice so that was the only time I saw Michael in any sort of media BEFORE he died.

I guess since there wasn't much happening during the late 2000's regarding Michael, the 2005 trials and all the negativity wasn't even covered in our country so I don't think there was any tarnishing of his status. The day he died tho, I would never forget that day. Our National Television even had the news of his "possible" death (before it was confirmed) on Breaking News for hours, and this was unprecedented. The coverage was unlike anything else. For the entire day there was just a lot of news, interviews about Michael, documentary type videos. And his music videos played nonstop on many music channels. Then there was the discussion regarding his death. In 2009 I did have access to internet, and then only I realized Michael was the guy (forgive me but until Michael's death I had no idea of his career or who he was, I just knew I liked his voice much better than any artist's) who sang Thriller & Black or White.

Imagine finding out that it was just a few weeks before This Is it. Damn. At that time it felt I was robbed of seeing him ever in live and also robbed of the Greatest Concert in History, although over the years I learnt things weren't as straightforward as it seemed regarding This Is It. Anyways I really only discovered Michael in around 2015 and have been a fan since. I guess I'm just a few decades late :(

Then there's me who never saw any of MJ's performances live (I was too young).
Basically I only heard Thriller during a theatrical concert in my Pre-School (in 2005, mind you). I did'nt even know who MJ was I just knew I only liked that song out of all the others and it scared the shit out of me back then. And then I actually performed Black or White in 2008 for a class performance, the teacher chose the song and I was like hmmmm, that voice sounded pretty familiar (I still didn't know who MJ was), but I figured out that it must be the same person who sang Thriller and was pretty ecstatic. I was only 8 years back then and we didn't have much in the way of internet at that time so there was no way of me really searching up stuff and finding out more. We actually saw the short video version of Black or White to practice so that was the only time I saw Michael in any sort of media BEFORE he died.

I guess since there wasn't much happening during the late 2000's regarding Michael, the 2005 trials and all the negativity wasn't even covered in our country so I don't think there was any tarnishing of his status. The day he died tho, I would never forget that day. Our National Television even had the news of his "possible" death (before it was confirmed) on Breaking News for hours, and this was unprecedented. The coverage was unlike anything else. For the entire day there was just a lot of news, interviews about Michael, documentary type videos. And his music videos played nonstop on many music channels. Then there was the discussion regarding his death. In 2009 I did have access to internet, and then only I realized Michael was the guy (forgive me but until Michael's death I had no idea of his career or who he was, I just knew I liked his voice much better than any artist's) who sang Thriller & Black or White.

Imagine finding out that it was just a few weeks before This Is it. Damn. At that time it felt I was robbed of seeing him ever in live and also robbed of the Greatest Concert in History, although over the years I learnt things weren't as straightforward as it seemed regarding This Is It. Anyways I really only discovered Michael in around 2015 and have been a fan since. I guess I'm just a few decades late :(
I loved your story. :)

Back